Why is HighSchool DxD Season 3 Censored and in 720p, and will it be fixed?

• Sorry, but i was just wondering why they decided to start censoring the show. I'm not a long time follower of the show at all so I don't know if this has been a problem before. Usually I'm not a stickler for fan-service in shows but I've gotten used to it in this show and it feels very patronizing to watch the censored version after going 2 seasons without any censorship; it also really through me off because right as the censorship started (season 3 episode 3 - The Cat and the Dragon) it also was no longer available in 1080p and the max quality was only 720p. Could somebody please explain to me why all these problems occurred and if they will ever be fixed or not?

I'm rather new to the anime community but if there's one thing I've caught onto it's the fact that many many many animes get started and then the creators never finished what they started leaving the fans with nothing, I really hope that isn't the case with this HighSchool DxD situation. It's not a bad show and I'd like to at least finish season 3 with the awesome 1080p and uncensored quality that i was able to enjoy throughout seasons 1 and 2.

• @TrdFergasn:

I'm rather new to the anime community but if there's one thing I've caught onto it's the fact that many many many animes get started and then the creators never finished what they started leaving the fans with nothing, I really hope that isn't the case with this HighSchool DxD situation. It's not a bad show and I'd like to at least finish season 3 with the awesome 1080p and uncensored quality that i was able to enjoy throughout seasons 1 and 2.

I feel you there. I have watched a lot of anime and when they end without that feeling of satisfaction (catharsis), its very difficult. I have always wondered why they stop half way but i guess that has something to do with financing. I pray this anime doesn't end up like all the rest too, it would be a shame because besides the fan service it is actually funny and after a while you sorta learn to look past all that boobs and stuff and just enjoy the show

• It's not "censored", FUNI has access only to the TV broadcast version. The explicit content version is currently being held by a Japanese == of HBO. That is, they own exclusive worldwide broadcast rights to the full version.

Eventually, when this comes out on DVD in October, I think, it will be the full version; as done with everything else this show has done. Until then, it is "more of the same."

FUNIStaff REAALY needs to add a disclaimer of sorts to the episode description of this show… as you are not the first to be "confused", as it were...

• Season 3 was a broadcast dub, and the uncensored show was unavailable for that release. It will be uncensored soon, but I don't know the date off the top of my head. The reason for censoring beginning at episode 3 of season 3 is because the first 2 episodes of uncensored was uploaded Tuesday. Funimation tends to upload the first two episodes of a series/season and then the remainder a couple weeks later. I've been following the series for several years, and haven't watched this season in wait of the uncensored as well. It's not that I'm concerned with the censoring, but the way it's censored bothered me enough when it was broadcast that I decided to wait till the blu-ray release.

As for 1080p, I suspect this will be closer to the blu-ray release date. Again, I don't know the actual date, but know it's coming up in the next few weeks.

• Episodes for season 3 are marked simulcast, when you see that it will be censored.

• Hi there, TrdFergasn. Please read this:

http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?7397-High-School-DxD-BorN-FAQ-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

That should answer any question you might have.

• Just throwing it out there, but DxD's censoring isn't nearly as intrusive as a lot of other shows where they use shadows or light grass. DxD largely uses the D's to cover the DDs.

On a side note:

@thegrandalliance:

FUNIStaff REAALY needs to add a disclaimer of sorts to the episode description of this show… as you are not the first to be "confused", as it were...

This actually seems like it would be a good idea to put in the description of all their shows (where applicable) that there may be censoring due to Funi only having the broadcast versions of the shows and that they'll have an uncensored (or less censored) version when the dvd/blu-rays get released.

You think we could get Sophie to champion this idea for us?

• @darthrutsula:

…..........

• @darthrutsula:

Just throwing it out there, but DxD's censoring isn't nearly as intrusive as a lot of other shows where they use shadows or light grass. DxD largely uses the D's to cover the DDs.

The floating D's are annoying, tru they aren't as intrusive but if I had to choose I'd go with the beams of lights etc.

• @darthrutsula:

Just throwing it out there, but DxD's censoring isn't nearly as intrusive as a lot of other shows where they use shadows or light grass. DxD largely uses the D's to cover the DDs.

On a side note:

This actually seems like it would be a good idea to put in the description of all their shows (where applicable) that there may be censoring due to Funi only having the broadcast versions of the shows and that they'll have an uncensored (or less censored) version when the dvd/blu-rays get released.

The FunimationNow app (at least on Android) differentiates between "Uncut" (Seasons 1-2) and "Simulcast" (Season 3). Once the full FunimationNow launch occurs in September, this difference will probably be reflected across the website and all the other platforms.

• Thank you so much for answering my question, and I totally agree; they need to be more transparent with their distribution rights. In any case I'll just patiently wait for October then to finish season 3. Thanks again!

• @EyeOfPain:

The FunimationNow app (at least on Android) differentiates between "Uncut" (Seasons 1-2) and "Simulcast" (Season 3). Once the full FunimationNow launch occurs in September, this difference will probably be reflected across the website and all the other platforms.

lndeed, for you are mistaken, as that is not the problem. It is like saying "the sky is blue", of course we know it's edited, we not stupid; "thar be no bobbies in them hills…" The problem is that FUNI doesn't have the uncut version, and people want to know WHY.

Simply calling it "uncut" or "broadcast", and washing your hands of it therefore, solves nothing.

• There was a news article a while back, where funi stated uncut episodes would be released the same day as the DVD. Of course the 1-2 episodes will still come a few weeks before. So just check if a DVD for the series is coming out and you will know the release date for uncut episodes. For example DxD season 3 DVD release is in September so that is when the uncut episode will come out.

• the DVD/blu-ray version will be uncensored. Funimation only had acces to the censored material with the weekly broadcast. In Japan is not allowed by law to show nudity on TV thats why its censored despite the anime being produced in its full uncensored sexyness. The dub you saw is from Funimation weekly broadcast dubs. You can find an uncensored version of the broadcast dubs online, but i wont tell you where to look.

• @sk4life:

So just check if a DVD for the series is coming out and you will know the release date for uncut episodes. For example DxD season 3 DVD release is in September so that is when the uncut episode will come out.

I do believe you are missing the point… We/I are talking about the general premise of Simulcasts, and not the fact that we are a month or so from release to a DVD.

Remember High School Season 3 came out a year ago. Between then and now, there is no Funimation.com, "easily findable information" or otherwise, as to "why it is censored". Still doesn't exist. Now, people who are "smart enough", can troll the Internet to find out why; as to the "others"...

@Lessor Intelligent Denizens of Earth:

WHERE IS MY HIGH SCHoOL DXD UNCUT!>?!>!>!>! WHaT ARE YOU DOING TO ME FUNiMATION!?!?!?!?

@SpacemanHardy:

Hi there, …........... Please read this:

http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?7397-High-School-DxD-BorN-FAQ-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

@EVEN Lesseeor Intelligent Denizens of Earth:

OMG!!!?!?!?!?!!? FUNiMATION, WTF!!!!!!!! WHERE IS MY BOoBIES!?!?!?!

@SpacemanHardy:

Hi there, …........... Please read this:

Wash, rinse, repeat… hopefully you "Peoples of the Internet" get why this is problem now...

• Guess I just can't follow. Episodes marked as simulcast are censored because they are regular tv broadcast of the show. It is usually a year or more after the simulcast that DVDs come out, if they come out. It has been this way since I started watching anime years ago, not sure why you are so confused.

• @thegrandalliance:

Now, people who are "smart enough", can troll the Internet to find out why; as to the "others"…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElqZms_SUjg

• @thegrandalliance:

Still doesn't exist. Now, people who are "smart enough", can troll the Internet to find out why; as to the "others"…

Heck I even made a joke thread at the time about it:

http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?7649-Obligatory-whining-about-the-censor-in-new-episode

Oh how the season progressed and how it got worse. By the way it didn't end the way I was thinking it would.

• @sk4life:

Guess I just can't follow. Episodes marked as simulcast are censored because they are regular tv broadcast of the show. It is usually a year or more after the simulcast that DVDs come out, if they come out. It has been this way since I started watching anime years ago, not sure why you are so confused.

Na, I think I am confusing you at this point. I already know why everything.

Also, as evidenced by your post here, so do you. However, like "apparently 90%" of people otherwise, don't. The above paragraph you posted; many are not aware of this. Therefore, in the interest of "transparency", it would be nice if censored Anime or otherwise be tagged in the description. Nonetheless, I do believe my "sarcastic humor" was lost on you, so apologies nevertheless…

Or, as I stated above, people will just flood the Internet with the same question over and over and over and...

@darthrutsula:

Heck I even made a joke thread at the time about it:

http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?7649-Obligatory-whining-about-the-censor-in-new-episode

Oh how the season progressed and how it got worse. By the way it didn't end the way I was thinking it would.

See above.

• Yes, its a 12 month old thread... and yet, it was mentioned in same thread that it would be 'uncensored "soon"' suggesting October.

And yet Season 3 is STILL censored.

I'd hope it would be sooner... Oh, and the forum link above is broken.

• @thomask said in Why is HighSchool DxD Season 3 Censored and in 720p, and will it be fixed?:

And yet Season 3 is STILL censored.

looks uncensored to me (I added the censoring since I doubt we can post nude breasts here)
    0_1500870011213_dxd.png

If you want the sub you'll have to go to Crunchyroll though.