For the FUNimation Team: Why can't anime be dubbed quickly?

• For anime dubbing companies, why is there such a huge time gap between the release of Japanese and English dubs? What is preventing dubbing and subbing companies from working together on new anime(like "The Asterisk War" and "Twin Star Exorcists") at the same and have the Japanese and English dubbed versions released online at the same time?

Why do I have to wait months or even years for English dubbed to even BEGIN start being released?

• You must be new around here. Within the past year, Funimation has started doing what they call "broadcast dubs", where they are dubbing certain series in English while the Japanese simulcast is still going on. Now instead of having to wait months or years, you can start watching a series in English in as little as 2 to 4 weeks.

The broadcast dubs are only available for All-Access subscribers, but we do offer a 14-day free trial if you want to check them out. :)

• Does this apply to ALL anime that is released every year?

Yeah I am new.

• This post is deleted!

• @M1chael1994:

Does this apply to ALL anime that is released every year?

Yeah I am new.

No, not every anime. Funimation is currently the only company who is offering this service, and they handpick certain shows that they license each season to be dubbed in this manner. Other shows may be dubbed later or not at all, depending on the show's popularity.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Funimation is currently the only company who is offering this service, and they handpick certain shows that they license each season to be dubbed in this manner.

Aniplex too, but their choices are even fewer than FUNi.
    Money and materials are the main factor it normally takes as long as it does.

• Oh, I found out The Asterisk War is getting dubbed.

How does money factor into it? Is it that FUNimation has too small of a staff to dub all of the shows that air every season? Or is it too expensive to hire certain voice actors? Or is it that there are not enough dubbing companies to handle all of the shows that come in?

One Piece is on this site, yet that show's dubbed version is more than 300 episodes behind the subbed. Is the show no longer popular?

Space Dandy is the only anime I know of where it had simulcasts of English and Japanese dubbed.

• Oh, I found out The Asterisk War is getting dubbed.

How does money factor into it? Is it that FUNimation has too small of a staff to dub all of the shows that air every season? Or is it too expensive to hire certain voice actors? Or is it that there are not enough dubbing companies to handle all of the shows that come in?

One Piece is on this site, yet that show's dubbed version is more than 300 episodes behind the subbed. Is the show no longer popular?

Space Dandy is the only anime I know of where it had simulcasts of English and Japanese dubbed.

• To be clear, I am VERY thankful for all of the hard work FUNimation and Aniplex are doing. I am looking forward to the Asterisk War and One Punch Man(I still watch subbed anime)

• @M1chael1994:

To be clear, I am VERY thankful for all of the hard work FUNimation and Aniplex are doing. I am looking forward to the Asterisk War and One Punch Man(I still watch subbed anime)

For the record, both Asterisk War and One Punch Man have been dubbed and will be released soon.

For Asterisk War, you can pre-order the blurays on RightStuf, but because it's Aniplex, you have to pay a pretty penny for them.

As for One Punch Man, the dub is currently airing every Saturday night on Toonami.

• This post is deleted!

• @M1chael1994:

Why do I have to wait months or even years for English dubbed to even BEGIN start being released?

Well, to provide a more comprehensive answer… the reason not all shows are "simulcast dubbed" or otherwise, is cost. The American companies want to see it "perform" first before committing large amounts of resources to a series. The recent industry trend has been to "dub everything now", but whether this is sustainable or not, has yet to be seen.

Otherwise, some of the "lesser shows" each season will only be dubbed if there is a market for it. That is, if according to "their math, they can make money selling DVDs", or not. If it is a show that "nobody cares about", you probably won't see a dub for that. But because they have to release some sort of "demo" of it into USA first, that takes time.

Then there are "Japanese Overlord" issues; such as not wanting a US product to compete with its Japanese release, so on so forth; the petty "Japanese Nationalism" nonsense. But no matter... if you want to reliably watch dubs, patience is key. Or, just watch the sub already, why don't ye? :)

• Thanks for all of your help. And keep up the great work!

• @M1chael1994:

Thanks for all of your help. And keep up the great work!

BTW for the record, I am not "the FUNImation team"; just its "Resident MASTER TROLLZ", of course. FUNISTAFF are marked with a tag below there username as "FUNISTAFF".

• I understand. I was just wondering what it would take for all anime released every season to be dubbed that's all. I'm guessing that is a question for staff, but I assume they are all busy with other things.

• @M1chael1994:

I was just wondering what it would take for all anime released every season to be dubbed that's all.

Like, 100x more subs then they have now. Or something like that. Lots of viewers and $$$, all around.