Not happy with how funimation is handling the kickstarter CE

• Not happy with Funimation and how they've handled their KickStarter Escaflowne CE. I went and kickstarted the set and got the world tier. Turns out through deceptive wording the CE will be blu ray only meaning I spent so much and the lower tiers get a better set at less the cost. We were to get the exclusive original dub on ONLY this tier set yet last month they announced that now EVERYBODY got access to this. Rightstuf and Funimation themselves now have the CE set listed for 40 dollars CHEAPER then the kickstarter price I paid. Sure I'll be getting a necklace, some cards, and a poster because I kickstarted it but it's definitely NOT worth the 40 extra then the current price.
    Sleezy Funimation. Really.

I won't be backing something from funimation again on kickstarter.

• Normally, you pay more on Kickstarter than you would normally because you're helping to fund something. Basically, you paid $40 more to help fund it. If you just want the basic, final product, pledge for the basic tier or wait until it is released. That's my experience with kickstarters.

• Maybe you should've done more research, or asked questions.

• Reading the tier description, it looks like you are getting a DVD version of this at the least: "AND bonus DVDs of the original dub version–the only release that includes this version!"

Did they publish an update saying otherwise?

RightStuf's listing also has "DVD" in the title with at least 6 discs in the image. I doubt they're putting max 5 episodes per disc.

• They announced that everybody now gets access to the original dub last month so they got rid of the DVDs. The CE is bluray only.

• @solarsun:

They announced that everybody now gets access to the original dub last month so they got rid of the DVDs. The CE is bluray only.

Not to say I do not believe you (this is FUNimation we're talking about), but could you provide a link?

• @CostlyAxis:

Not to say I do not believe you (this is FUNimation we're talking about), but could you provide a link?

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/07/03/escaflowne-home-video-date-announcement-preview-the-packaging/

From the page:
    With the success of the Kickstarter, the new release will have the new 2016 English dub set to the director"s cut HD materials. In addition, we have upgraded all of the sets to include the original dub set to broadcast materials as well.

• I'm still not seeing where it says you're not getting the DVDs anymore. It still says you're getting the original dub which was indicated to be on DVDs. They are dancing around the specifics though.

• @CostlyAxis:

I'm still not seeing where it says you're not getting the DVDs anymore. It still says you're getting the original dub which was indicated to be on DVDs. They are dancing around the specifics though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funimationprod/the-vision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas/posts/1603731

The Blu-ray Collector's Edition will have an additional Blu-ray, and will no longer have an extra set of discs with the original dub. Part 2 will not have additional discs.

• @solarsun:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…/posts/1603731

The Blu-ray Collector's Edition will have an additional Blu-ray, and will no longer have an extra set of discs with the original dub. Part 2 will not have additional discs.

Hmm… Well then, I guess you've proven your claim valid. It really should be a combo set for the CE.

• @CostlyAxis:

Hmm… Well then, I guess you've proven your claim valid. It really should be a combo set for the CE.

I agree. The wording on their tier CE is dodgy at best when it comes to the disk type. The lower sets should NOT be a better set then a CE.

• @solarsun:

Rightstuf and Funimation themselves now have the CE set listed for 40 dollars CHEAPER then the kickstarter price I paid.

Yeah but you get an exclusive box + The Tarot Cards and Replica Necklace that are exclusive to the Kickstarter Collector's Edition. So I guess it's whether you think that's important to you or not, but whatever.

• @Series5Ranger:

Yeah but you get an exclusive box + The Tarot Cards and Replica Necklace that are exclusive to the Kickstarter Collector's Edition. So I guess it's whether you think that's important to you or not, but whatever.

I don't really view this as a "whatever" kind of thing. He didn't back at the level he did solely for the items you mentioned. He wanted the DVDs that the tier clearly specified he would get, and it was the only tier level that promised them. However, it was retroactively changed on him after his money had already been collected.

Now I know a Kickstarter project, of any kind, doesn't come with a guarantee that you'll get exactly what the tier promised, but you can't help but feel "cheated" in a sense when a creator doesn't follow through. Especially when you're $175+ in the hole. This is why I've only ever backed playing card projects.

• @CostlyAxis:

I don't really view this as a "whatever" kind of thing. He didn't back at the level he did solely for the items you mentioned. He wanted the DVDs that the tier clearly specified he would get, and it was the only tier level that promised them. However, it was retroactively changed on him after his money had already been collected.

Now I know a Kickstarter project, of any kind, doesn't come with a guarantee that you'll get exactly what the tier promised, but you can't help but feel "cheated" in a sense when a creator doesn't follow through. Especially when you're $175+ in the hole. This is why I've only ever backed playing card projects.

Yeah one of the major reasons why I paid 175 was the dvds. I grew up watching escaflowne on fox Saturday mornings. It was probably the first anime I watched KNOWING and SEEKING it out because it was anime.

I won't be backing anything from funimation on kickstarter again. I thought funimation would be better then the dodgy wording of the tier and changing something like that so drastically. They could make it a DVD/blu ray combo pack but they won't.

• Have you tried messaging them?

• @solarsun:

Sure I'll be getting a necklace, some cards, and a poster because I kickstarted it but it's definitely NOT worth the 40 extra then the current price.

Actually the necklace is also part of the Retail release of the CE "
    The collector"s edition features both the complete series plus the movie, a 40 page hardcover artbook that includes artwork from original releases as well as gorgeous brand new watercolor and painterly illustration from character designer Nobuteru Yuki, a replica of Hitomi"s pendant, and a beautiful chipboard box that also features an illustration from the character designer. You"ll notice that with this release, the front of the box is actually the back, mirroring the exact way this wonderful piece of art was used on the original Japanese release, for maximum authenticity."

Me and several of my friends felt this was a bit shady to back when we originally back the kickstarter but we discussed it and it did not make sense for a A-list title for Esclafowne to need a kickstarter even if it was to "Gage the interest of the consumer to see how they would feel about a redub" Honestly they could have gaged that without a kickstarter just put it up for pre-order with a release date to see how many pre-orders come in. I do feel that the backers did get screwed on this because most kickstarters ive seen that hit retail is pretty much the same price the backers paid. But yeah the backers got the short end of the stick which is why I backed out when I could and put the extra money from that to skipbeat. I backed skipbeat because I felt that Pied Piper was more honest and upfront about how the funds would be used and the actual cost to produce a dub, productions, fees & etc… but I do feel your pain.

• Well, they also needed the money. I mean, this was before they blew their wad on My Hero. The needed the da.

• @betour Actually, the biggest complaint was that they HAVE the money and are doing the Kickstarter for advertising purposes. Also, as much as some whiny Kabaneri fans would like to argue against it, there is no evidence suggesting that MHA cost them so much, and there probably never will be.

• I know that was the complaint but that was before we knew they had MHA which, according to all the info I got, cost a fair bit.

• @betuor:

Have you tried messaging them?

Yes. Their comments page is full of angry people as well. They know they've got pissed off supporters and are turning a blind eye to it.

@kaishino:

But yeah the backers got the short end of the stick which is why I backed out when I could and put the extra money from that to skipbeat. I backed skipbeat because I felt that Pied Piper was more honest and upfront about how the funds would be used and the actual cost to produce a dub, productions, fees & etc… but I do feel your pain.

I also backed skip beat. I also found it interesting that for the cost between the two skip beat went for everything while escaflowne's 300k was 'just for the dub'.

• Did you try something besides the messy comments section? I wouldn't rely just on a comments section. Those tend to get filled with stuff and things start to get overlooked.