Discussion on rating systems in general.

• This is a very off topic discussion on rating systems in general.

[just fyi I'm writing this when super tired so mistakes will be made and it will be nonsensical!!!!!]
    why is it that most people think a 5 out of 10 is bad, shouldn't that be average! it's not a 1 nor is it a 10, 5 is in the middle so why do most people think that a 5 is bad. in the case of funimation star rating system that would be a 3 out of 5 stars. i just don't get it when most rating systems have the status of a 7 or 8 out of 10 or in the star system a 4 being average. that just makes no sense!!

I consider that 3 stars is average! 4 stars is good and 5 is excellent or very good. on the other side 2 is bad or just tolerable and 1 is awful/very bad or so cringe worthy I can't even finish the thing or have but with great effort on my part that or its just broken.
    I just think that they need to have a standard meaning to the rating system. when one person thinks a 7 out of 10 is average then what is a 4 or even a 1.

I'm curious what do each of the stars mean to you and what do you think a 5 out of 10 means??? are you one who shares the same view that 3 out of 5 or 5 out of 10 is average or are you one of those who thinks that anything below a 4 out of 5 or 7 out of 10 is bad?

and what do you think about numerical rating systems in general are they horrible or are they good for getting an idea of where others stand?

• I've seen it theorized that part of this, for Americans, stems from how the grading system works for schools. 70% is a C and passing. It would be natural to extend that kind of grading scale to other parts of our lives. It's more useful to just judge whether somebody liked a show or not based on relativity to the person's other scores rather than how the scores compare to other people's. Average scores for individual shows aren't too helpful because of that, but you can still get the general idea of "liked/disliked".

5/10 means average to me, no particular like or dislike towards the title. I like some sort of "grading" system since it's useful for my own references. Summarized scores for reviews aren't something I pay much attention to since I'd rather read the "why", but for the purposes of other fans and sites like MAL and Anime-Planet, I think they are useful since it gives quick reference for like/dislike and can help with recommendations.

• I've always viewed it as diminishing returns where you start hitting the curve at 7. Its easy to be a 7 but it gets significantly harder to go past it, especially to get a perfect 10. If fan consensus rates something <7/10 then its probably not a good show. If its <5/10 then you can expect it to be bad. But if its >7/10 then its good. But breaking out of 8/10 is really hard. The only show I can readily recall as being a nearperfect 10/10 is Steins;Gate and that's not without its critics (MAL puts it at 9.2 ranking 3rd of all the anime they have)

@shockysparks:

in the case of funimation star rating system that would be a 3 out of 5 stars.

I see you got a 3/5 stars in math though.

• i can see where you are coming from with the comparison from the school system, where a 50% or less is a failure where as a 60% to 70% is average i would still prefer the 5 out of 10 being average but i get what your saying. and i agree that reviews score are very useful at a glance to see where everyone sits. thanks for the input I appreciate it!!! [that is not sarcasm its text so its hard to tell what someone is conveying I'm just clarifying its not sarcasm]

math was never my strongest subject but that's beside the point, perfection is one of those things that changes from person to person. it would be much better to rate things on how enjoyable it was and if it was time well spent. but if we must go by how perfect something is it should never get higher then a 9 out of 10 or a 95 out of 100 and the max number would be at that point useless. i do see where you are coming from thanks for the input i truly appreciate it! [again not sarcasm]

• @shockysparks:

can see where you are coming from with the comparison from the school system, where a 50% or less is a failure where as a 60% to 70% is average

Actually I haven't seen the 10-point grading system used outside of college (then again I graduated HS 3 years ago). It is a much more efficient system and student friendly. I've always hated those stupid tryhards that HAD to get a perfect score. Here I am spending like 10 minutes on a test and get a 95. I swear if I studied as hard as japanese student in anime (supposedly) do, I probably would've been valedictorian easy… I'm not a role-model student by far xP

Oh sorry I went off on a tangent to show my arrogance, my bad.

@shockysparks:

i agree that reviews score are very useful at a glance

This is usually my qualification on what may be an anime i'd like. Then again I did like some that didn't get the greatest of ratings, like Bikini Warriors and GREATLY disliked some other ones (looking at Code Geass here…). Usually I just look at splash arts and go at it from there. And there have been times where its simply because of a voice actor that I stayed and ended up enjoying it (Eureka Seven) or it is because of a VA that I can't watch it (Deadman Wonderland or Heaven's Lost Property, its the same dude... seriously)