Guide to D.Gray-man

• With Hallow on the way, I eventually decided that I would give this series a shot. However, I do not know how to go along with this series in correspondence with the manga.

Question 1: Which episodes, specifically, in the first anime are filler? All I know is that Funimation has already dubbed most of it.

Question 2: So far, has Hallow been doing the standard 2-3 chapters per episode format, or is it pulling an Inuyasha: The Final Act?

• http://dgrayman.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Arcs

This wiki page lists the story arcs, their corresponding manga chapters/anime episodes, and whether or not the material is anime only.

So the episodes that are anime only are:

14-18
    28-35
    40-50

Having read the manga up through the end of Phantom Thief G, episodes 51-103 contain the bulk of the story and that content is really good. I would not recommend just skipping it (for now) to watch Hallow.

Hallow sped through the Disappearance of Cross Marian and Phantom Thief G arcs in 3 episodes (roughly 18-19 chapters worth of content going off of the numbering on the wiki page). It should hopefully slow down now that the Alma story is going to be starting to give the story room to breathe and let the emotional weight settle in. I anticipate it will likely end with the aftermath of Alma Karma since that's the last finished arc in the manga (Search for A.W. is ongoing, and while the manga is currently off hiatus, Hoshino's writing at a schedule of 4 chapters/year).

• I see that one of the manga arcs has been skipped…

• Those chapters are dedicated to a largely humorous post-grim-battle arc where the Order turns into zombies because a ghost slipped Krory one of Komui's crazy potions. It's not a story-important arc, but it's funny and a nice breather after what happened just prior.

• @Firefly:

Those chapters are dedicated to a largely humorous post-grim-battle arc where the Order turns into zombies because a ghost slipped Krory one of Komui's crazy potions. It's not a story-important arc, but it's funny and a nice breather after what happened just prior.

Could you read that arc in between watching the episodes?

• This post is deleted!

• @nubguy:

Could you read that arc in between watching the episodes?

Yeah, of course. You wouldn't really lose out on anything too important by not reading it either if manga's just not your thing.