FunimationNow app for Fire TV is here!

• The FunimationNow app for Fire TV for the US and the UK is available right now from the Fire TV app store and from Amazon.

US App: https://www.amazon.com/Funimation-Productions-LTD-FunimationNow/dp/B01GKJX51A
    UK App: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funimation-Productions-LTD-FunimationNow/dp/B01IG7WLXM

Features:

• Access the library of simulcasts, Broadcast Dubs, and past favorites
    • Watch progress synced
    • Queue synced
    • App keeps track of where you left off
    • Search!
    • Browse, filter, and sort
    • Closed caption support
    • 10-second skip
    • get to next sequential video from the video player
    • marathon (auto-play)

The app isn't bug free, but the developers are fixing the highest priority bugs as quickly as possible. Please post any issues you encounter with the app and/or any feedback to this thread. Of course, I'll also answer any questions you have about the app as well. ^_^

Fire TV Reported issues: http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?11931-Fire-TV-app-Known-Issues-amp-Suggestions&p=102855

I hope you'll try out the app, if you have a Fire TV, and that you will toss a rating our way.

Thanks!! :D

• The Fire TV App looks very good.
    You guys could easily port this app to Android TV patform if you want by doing some minor code change.

• Do you think the app will be available in the UK before the end of July? My free trial expires then and I'd need to be able to try FunimationNow on my TV before deciding whether to continue my subscription (as that's the only way I'll watch in the long term). If it's not available by then, is there any free content I can test it on when it is eventually released?

• As I mentioned in another thread, so far so good, except some concerns with how things are listed

If your Queue exceeds 20 shows, you may only browse the first 20 you've subscribed to

If a show has many episodes, such as One Piece, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, it will not display them all and there is no way to browse more episodes than what is displayed, same with the big queue list

• Also seems to be sync issues with the Continue Watching section, just watched an episode from Continue Watching, when it was over, Continue Watching acts like I never watched it, even if I exit the app and reopen it, in fact if I go to that anime's page list of shows, it still doesn't recognize that I've watched it

• @tobyonekenobe
    I'm not sure of the UK launch date, but it shouldn't be too far behind. Unfortunately, there won't be any access for non-subscribers, but you might be able to explain your reasoning in a support ticket and be able to get an extension. You'll need to submit a ticket on www.funimationnow.uk.

@ahkiva
    For the Continue Watching carousel, if it's acting like our test Apple TV app, I believe you need to close the app completely on Fire TV, which means clearing the cache from App Settings. Then reopen and the progress bar should appear. The issue is being worked on. Resume should actually behave correctly regardless, though.

For the behavior on Show Detail, could you please elaborate on "it still doesn't recognize that I've watched it"? Are you referring to the button that you see at the top that says something like "Continue Episode 5"? For that, could you also please tell me which show, episode number, and language you watched, so that I can attempt to reproduce? It's possibly due to a bug where certain videos aren't posted to Watch History.

Queue and Continue Watching are missing a "See All" button at the end of each carousel that would take you to the full list.

• I was watching episode 28 of Kingdom last night on Fire TV, when it finished it went back to the continue watching/queue list and under Continue Watching it still listed to play Episode 28 of Kingdom. I pressed on it and it restarted episode 28, I skipped ahead to the end of it and it did the same thing again

Then instead of going from continue watching, I went to the actually show page under Queue and scrolled all the way over to episode 28 and the app did not have a little blue bar on that episode to indicate I had watched it like it does with all previous episodes

• Well the Fire TV app has now launched in the UK but the buffering makes it unusable. Each stream I tried to watch would stutter and then pause every minute to buffer. Some videos wouldn't play at all. For the record, I have a smart TV with YouTube and Netflix built in which streams in full HD just fine. I have Kodi on my Fire TV stick which streams videos from other services in Full HD just fine. I have an 80Mb connection (76Mb on Speedtest.net) and have not experienced buffering on any other service. I can only assume that the problem lies with the servers not being able to cope with the demand, and I can't see that changing without significant investment.

• The one episode I watched on FireTV played just fine, but the sync issues are problematic. I started watching Kingdom again today on my PS4 and it didn't recognize I had watched episode 28 at all either.

• @Sophie

You may be interested to know & pass on to the developers that this apk extracted from the Fire TV stick also installs and runs perfectly well on a Nexus Player running Android TV. Works exactly as on Fire TV, the only difference on the NP being the lack of fast-forward and rewind buttons on the remote. Manual skip back/forward 10 secs works though.

So basically with 30 mins of work you could also publish this to Google Play Store for Android TV, so making it available for devices and TVs including from Sony and Philips.

• Thanks! I'll pass that along. ^_^ I was wondering if it would work on Android TV.

• One thing that could definitely use some improvement is the display of long lists. While the carousel display is fine for the overviews on Home, once you click on Show All it would be much handier if it then switched to a grid view, with more information density and scrolling vertically rather than horizontally. It's a bit of a pain to reach the end of a carousel, click to show all, then be taken to โ€ฆ another carousel with endless horizontal scrolling.

The same goes for browsing show lists by genre or other param. Horizontal scrolling these lists - especially the alphabetical ones - is an exercise in frustration.

• One thing that a really hope to be added is an option to skip to the next episode while streaming so you don't have to wait for the end credits to roll before the marathoning feature kicks in. If you don't want to sit through the end music you have to back out of the player and then navigate to the next episode manually. I think a "next episode" option while viewing would be more effecient.

• According to the FAQ in the new app, it says I can set a desired resolution in settings, but when I go to settings, the only thing there is turning Autoplay on/off. I would like to have a max of 720p setting, since from where I sit in relation to my TV, I can't see any difference between that and 1080 anyway. Why waste the bandwidth when you don't need to?

Also, it would be nice if your episode "stripes" would wrap left so you can get to the last shows in a series faster, much like the Roku app doesโ€ฆ

Edit: Adding another odd thing that just happened to me. At the end of watching episode 18 of Saiki K (the latest available at this time, according to the show page), the Fire TV app tried to play episode 19, which isn't there yet, and then gave me an error message about not being an all-access member.

• Will there be a version for Sony Blueray players with streaming or Smart TVs any time soon?

• @Sophie Any news on when the PlayStation consoles or roku will get the update to FunimationNow?

• @almightychris:

One thing that a really hope to be added is an option to skip to the next episode while streaming so you don't have to wait for the end credits to roll before the marathoning feature kicks in. If you don't want to sit through the end music you have to back out of the player and then navigate to the next episode manually. I think a "next episode" option while viewing would be more effecient.

We can look into adding this feature. It's available on the mobile apps, so it should theoretically also work for Fire TV.

@asharka:

According to the FAQ in the new app, it says I can set a desired resolution in settings, but when I go to settings, the only thing there is turning Autoplay on/off. I would like to have a max of 720p setting, since from where I sit in relation to my TV, I can't see any difference between that and 1080 anyway. Why waste the bandwidth when you don't need to?

This feature coudln't be completed before launch, so we had to remove it. I'll have the FAQ updated accordingly. Thanks for catching that. ^_^ Quality settings will be added after the new website launches.

@jorhanbeastalker:

Will there be a version for Sony Blueray players with streaming or Smart TVs any time soon?

Not at this time.
    @mrb335:

@Sophie Any news on when the PlayStation consoles or roku will get the update to FunimationNow?

On or after launch of the new website. The PlayStation app is currently going through its initial feedback round right now. I have not seen the new Roku channel yet, but it is being worked on.

The updated PlayStation app won't be that different from the current one in terms of functionality. Navigation will be a bit different, but you'll still have a Queue, a history, a way to search and browse for shows, etc. The Roku channel will get a lot of changes only because it was one of the first ones we made and didn't get things like history or watch next logic.

• I really hope an Android TV version comes out. I also hope that the new Roku app does not follow in the footsteps of all the other streaming apps by ditching resolution selection for the automatic resolution adjustments.

my ISP seems to have issues with the auto adjustment algorithms as I have 50 meg down but Netflix and even Crunchyroll occasionally drop resolution randomly. The current Roku app's 720p and 1080p work fine with no buffering issues.

• @Sophie:

Quote Originally Posted by almightychris View Post
    One thing that a really hope to be added is an option to skip to the next episode while streaming so you don't have to wait for the end credits to roll before the marathoning feature kicks in. If you don't want to sit through the end music you have to back out of the player and then navigate to the next episode manually. I think a "next episode" option while viewing would be more effecient.
    We can look into adding this feature. It's available on the mobile apps, so it should theoretically also work for Fire TV.

Actually there already is a next episode button, but it only appears if marathoning is enabled in Settings for some reason.

• I see ye all know my issue with it already o.o. As it stands my Fire TV isn't really useful for anything at all but it will be once this app is usable. :)

• Any news on when the Fire TV App will get an update, one that will fix the massive amount of issues that has been plaguing it for at least the 5 months that I have owned it?

I kept sending in report tickets with a response that with the release of the new site everything should be fixed. I waited, hoping that with the release of the new site that they would have at least finally updated the app... Nope.... Nope, it still sucks, My Queue is a disaster. it only displays 50 of over 80 shows. A lot of the shows are in the list twice and If I add any new shows to the Queue, they do not appear. Trying to watch shows is difficult in itself. it stutters, freezes, or just errors.

Everyone complains about all of the issues with the other apps (I too know there pain with the Roku, iOS, Android, and Fire Tablet apps.) But seriously, it is like they released the Fire TV app and said "Yep, good enough."