Is Any Title Not getting Broadcast dubs only being released subbed only?

• Hi,

Is this a new trend that any title that does not receive a broadcast dub these days are not getting dubbed at all, and being released subbed only?

• It's not known at this time, but I'd say it's unlikely. Any show that pulled in strong numbers during its run should still have a good chance of getting dubbed for its home video release. Shimoneta and Overlord look like good candidates for dubs, if you ask me.

• Yup just like Hardy said, just because a show isn't Broadcast Dubbed doesn't mean it's not getting dubbed. It's typically more old-school

• @SpacemanHardy:

It's not known at this time, but I'd say it's unlikely. Any show that pulled in strong numbers during its run should still have a good chance of getting dubbed for its home video release. Shimoneta and Overlord look like good candidates for dubs, if you ask me.

Uh not really… Just look at Yu-Gi-Oh GX and Zatch Bell that both pull STRONG Number in the rating... It's is STILL a tragedy the dub was not finish... :(

• @gohan6425:

Uh not really… Just look at Yu-Gi-Oh GX and Zatch Bell that both pull STRONG Number in the rating... It's is STILL a tragedy the dub was not finish... :(

Neither of those shows were licensed and dubbed by Funimation, so since we're talking about what Funimation will do about non-broadcast dubs, they're both irrelevant to this discussion

• @SpacemanHardy:

Any show that pulled in strong numbers during its run should still have a good chance of getting dubbed for its home video release.

Depends on the definition of "good" is, these days of course.

• Said "definition" probably involves the show's streaming numbers and overall popularity. It's rare for Funimation to release a show undubbed, unless there's some issue with the Japanese publisher. The only time I recall Funimation outright refusing to do a dub was with When They Cry Kai, forcing Sentai to release it sub-only.

But at any rate, no. There is still a chance for it to be dubbed. This was clearly proven with Barakamon, a show released in the middle of the broadcast dub craze but was dubbed for its home media release.

• No, Barakamon aired the season before broadcast dubs started

• 2 titles that were released and Dubbed after Simuldubs started were Lord Marksman and Vanadis, and Gonna Be the Twin-Tail, both of which did not receive a simuldub.

So it's possible if the shows streaming numbers / popularity is good. I agree with Hardy that both Shimoneta and Overlord should be getting dubs. Concrete Revolutio should be getting a dub if Funimation has home video rights for it (Which hasn't been confirmed as of yet)

Borderline titles like Castle Town Dandelion, Ranpo Kitan, etc. can go either way, we'll just have to see when they hit the release schedule.

• @Getchman Whoops. But Series5Ranger gave some examples, so oh well.

• @Spaceshotx7:

Hi,

Is this a new trend that any title that does not receive a broadcast dub these days are not getting dubbed at all, and being released subbed only?

Not necessarily. There isn't enough of a baseline to say one way or the other yet. Certainly was the case with Winter 2015, but last Summer and Fall were a bit sparse in terms of Broadcast Dubs.

It's part of the reason I make a big deal about Funimation not announcing home video rights anymore. Dubs are no longer a guarantee, so information on their plans with shows ahead of time go a long way (especially to avoid situations like Yatterman Night where the lack of both a dub and Blu-Ray ended up a nasty little surprise).