2016 MEN of MANLINESS - Round 3: Edward vs. Masaoka

• Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Tomomi Masaoka from Psycho-Pass

Don't forget to post your vote below in case of ties!

• First off his name is the Fullmetal Alchemist.

Let that sink in.

Even his title is incredibly manly.

Ed is all about doing everything he can to help others, fix his mistakes and defying the odds. Does he run from his mistakes? Deny them? Try to make them seem different then what they were?

No, he faces them head on like a man. He takes full responsibility and instead of laying down like a dog and accepting his fate, he fights with everything that he has.

I mean, come on, he

! Is laying dying with a rod through his side and does he lay down and give up? No, he gets that beam out and seals off the wound with his own life force and alchemy. All because he refuses to give up and needs to protect his brother.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZagIVaC0uMg
    ! When the gate of truth drags him away from his brother's body and shuts the door, does he quietly leave? No, he busts back through that gate just to reassure his brother that he is coming back for him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhaYY1u1Rw
    ! When he's facing off against a seemingly godly Father, does he surrender? No, he stands and he fights.

Even when he has a chance for revenge, he continuously spares characters for the greater good, because he knows killing is wrong. (ie. Scar, Envy). Going against his own emotions and needs to do what is right for others.

He doesn't pretend his mistakes never happened or deny his fault, he choose instead to face his demons head on and do all he can to fix them.

If that isn't manly, I don't know what is.

Ed is full to the brim with passion and purpose, it's what the whole series is centered around. The determination he has to save his brother and right his wrongs. He consistently fights for the impossible and occasionally reaches it. Ed very rarely does anything selfishly and does it out of noble intentions (When he's old enough to realize the consequences, of course).

He does love his dramatic gestures and speeches, and he's got a whole step better then just scars. His has missing limbs replaced with metal ones and that is pretty darn cool.

Long Live Edward Elric

And I realize I have this posted in the spoiler, but if anyone ever doubts Ed is a strong contender for this tournament, just watch this one scene. This one, incredible scene.

I still get goosebumps, and that is a big reason why he is getting my vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhaYY1u1Rw

• Going for the one with the least number of limbs, so Edward

• My vote goes to Edward Elric.

• I like Edward. But, come on. He's a privileged, judgemental brat with a Napoleon complex and an ego to boot. Not that i mind those things about him. All of those things, minus the Napoleon complex (seriously, did anyone actually like all the short jokes?), are part of what makes him such a compelling protagonist in the 2003 version (he's a perfectly fine character in Brotherhood but i feel like that series doesn't address how ignorant his privilege made him, nor does it explore him quite as well). But, manly? Nope. Masaoka gets my vote.

• I see what you did, Hardy.

• I'm with Eastunder on this one. Edward's pretty awesome, but despite his rather impressive list of accomplishments, he's still got a lot of growing up to do.

Also, consider this.

! Edward gave up his right arm and later his ability to use alchemy to save his brother…
    ! But Masaokai gave up his LIFE to save his son.

Masaoka gets my vote.

• Vote to Tomomi Masaoka - Psycho Pass.

• Edward gets my vote

• This one's a really tough choice for me as I love both, but I think I'm gonna give this one to Masaoka.

• Sorry Fullmetal. Until the sequel manga featuring you as an adult comes out, you're just not quite there.

• Tomomi Masaoka - Psycho-Pass

• I love both characters, but Masaoka gets my vote.

• @eastunder:

I like Edward. But, come on. He's a privileged, judgemental brat with a Napoleon complex and an ego to boot. Not that i mind those things about him. All of those things, minus the Napoleon complex (seriously, did anyone actually like all the short jokes?), are part of what makes him such a compelling protagonist in the 2003 version (he's a perfectly fine character in Brotherhood but i feel like that series doesn't address how ignorant his privilege made him, nor does it explore him quite as well). But, manly? Nope. Masaoka gets my vote.

(Just to specify, I am talking Brotherhood Ed, because I haven't watched the original series in a number of years)

Privileged? Really? A kid whose dad walked out on him when he was a kid and his mother died shortly after, leaving him to care for his little brother. Then in an attempt to bring her back (And really, any child who has the possible capability of doing so would try) he loses limbs and his brother loses his body, leaving him wracked with guilt and self-hatred as he desperately tries to right his wrong?

Sure, he gets treated special, but lets face it, that's because he IS special. He has capabilities that most his age do not have, along with his brother. He still is down to earth enough that he does what he can to help anyone that needs it, even when it inconveniences him. I wouldn't call him ignorant because of privileged, he was simply young and inexperienced.

He EARNS what he gets. That is not privileged. If he was not the alchemist he was, he wouldn't have gotten the respect he does.

@SpacemanHardy:

I'm with Eastunder on this one. Edward's pretty awesome, but despite his rather impressive list of accomplishments, he's still got a lot of growing up to do.

Also, consider this.

! Edward gave up his right arm and later his ability to use alchemy to save his brother…
    ! But Masaokai gave up his LIFE to save his son.

Masaoka gets my vote.

See, I look at it differently.

! I think giving up Alchemy, the one thing you have a true passion for in life, while you're still very young is harder then giving up your life when you're older. Just speaking as someone who does have a real passion, something I love, losing that would just take away so much of what makes life good, I can't imagine being without it. Ed's entire life was his brother and alchemy, and to rub salt in his wounds it's something he was incredibly gifted with.

But that is something subjective to each person. I just know, personally, losing something you love to the extent Ed did with no chance of ever getting it back is something I would never wish on anyone.

• voting Edward

• @emdier:

He EARNS what he gets. That is not privileged. If he was not the alchemist he was, he wouldn't have gotten the respect he does.

When i say he's privileged, i'm not saying he didn't have a hard life or that he was simply handed his achievements. I mean that he pushes ideals on people despite having absolutely no idea what it's like to go through the situations they go through. Probably the best example of this comes during the Briggs arc, when he first meets Miles. When Miles tests him and how he looks as Ishbalans by saying that his people and government killed his people, Ed follows by saying that the Ishbalans wrecked his town and that an Ishbalan killed Winry's parents. He compared one damaged town and the death of two individuals to GENOCIDE. I mean, really? However i know that that the scene is meant to be Ed proving that he doesn't look at Miles with pity or guilt and not meant to show any harsh feelings, so i'm willing to let that slide as a clumsy scene. Or i was, until Edward followed by saying that race doesn't matter and that people should just ignore it. He might have good intentions when he says that, but saying that shows complete ignorance of the fact that there are people who put value in their race, ethnicity, religion, etc., and having some teenaged white kid who's never had to suffer due to his identity (he's had to suffer for other reasons but that's beside the point) tell them that that stuff doesn't matter and should just be ignored would probably be very offensive to them. That's privilege. Privilege from being born in a safe place as a young man of the majority race who's never had to worry about starving, poverty, persecution, etc, and yet thinking that he knows enough about these things to push these ideals on whoever he likes. And it's not just this time either. He does it to Scar plenty of times. His whole spiel to Rose after the Leore incident, while good intentioned, shows this too. There's also his judgement on his fellow soldiers and how he judges them as wrong and unjust for their actions in Ishbal despite never having to experience the injustices and paradoxes or war himself.

Though, like i said, this is really only an issue with the manga and Brotherhood, since both of those versions actively support Edward's ideals and think every other character should too. The 2003 version was smart enough to take this character trait and put it on trial by having him face his own ideals and how they don't always work and how sometimes their wrong dead in the eye. And i really like the manga too. I just always had this one issue with it and with Edward as a character.

• Surprisingly I don't care much for either of these characters, but I would still say Masaoka is the "manlier" of the two.