"POKECraze 2.0" Sweeping the Planet: "POKEMON GO"; Android/Iphone Game

• Apparently, this game is going on fire… supposedly with reports that its active user base at moment is greater then Twitter (>3% of install base). And it is already at work fully engaged in " the natual selection of nerds", as it were

@Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go

Pokémon Go (stylized as Pokémon GO) is a free-to-play augmented reality mobile game developed by Niantic for iOS and Android devices. It was released in beta in July 2016. The game allows players to capture, battle, and train virtual Pokémon who appear throughout the real world. Although the game is free-to-play, it supports in-app purchases. An optional companion Bluetooth wearable device, the Pokémon Go Plus, is planned for future release and will alert users when a Pokémon is nearby.

Safety concerns and controversy

Pokémon Go generated safety concerns mostly due to distraction during play and the ability for individuals to be lured to a certain real-life area by in-game rewards. On launch day, the Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services reminded players to "look up, away from your phone and both ways before crossing the street". The same day, while using the game, a player from the American state of Wyoming stumbled across a dead body that was floating in a river. Furthermore, the app led players to congregate near strangers' homes, as in the case when a Pokémon Gym was placed near a church converted to a house. Other incidents include multiple minor fall injuries and armed robberies.

Basically, it is a Pokemon Game made by USA company that puts Pokemon/objects into real world using GPS. So, you are walking around the street using your cell phone camera, and you "see a Pokemon" in some front yard or something. Furthermore, the "gyms" are located supposedly in real-world buildings as well.

And the casuals are sucking this up: Just hope your backyard doesn't have some POKEMON in it, you may need to call Officer Jenny yourself…

...and "some" people still haven't figured out why smartphones "are evil"...

• Haha I have been playing, it's actually pretty fun. There are gyms and poke'stops all over the place.

I just read an interesting article and thought I'd share this:

"Shares in Nintendo Co, Ltd. rose as much as 25 percent in the Japanese market following last week's release of Pokémon GO. Beginning on Friday, shares had risen 10 percent. The company's market value rose 718 billion yen (about US$7.1 billion) over two days. Bloomberg's David Ingles said on Twitter that 'Nintendo having their best day since 1983.' (The NES console launched in Japan in 1983.)"

• http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1468279567531&chddm=499698&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=OTCMKTS:NTDOY&ntsp=0&ei=lyqEV_GPNKeaigKK5rToCQ

Yea, LoL… should have been engaged in this one... it is up over 70% now in last several days (June 27; $17>After Hours Today; $29). That means, if you bought the stock, could have made a ton. Me fails at life again... but I digress.

It is still way off from its Nintendo Wii Highs, and it is unclear as to whether this will actually translate into revenue for Nintendo. But, given how this company is at multi-year lows, doesn't take much to "move the needle", as it were...

• First off, this is sooooooooooo three days old news.

Did you hear that the Westboro Baptist Church is a gym? Currently they dethroned "loveislove's" clefairy with a jigglypuff.

I still won't be playing the game though.

• @darthrutsula:

First off, this is sooooooooooo three days old news.

So what, you work for CNN now? Have to have new headlines every 2 hours, or your channel will explode? "Tsk, 'tsk, 'tsk…

@darthrutsula:

I still won't be playing the game though.

So you say…

• @thegrandalliance:

So what, you work for CNN now? Have to have new headlines every 2 hours, or your channel will explode?

As someone who likes to stay up to date… yes.

Literally every < 30 year old I know has the app and my facebook has become 80% Pokemon Go (all from two friends too O.o) the other 10% is NPR, who has done 1 or 2 pieces on pkmngo, the other 10% is just other stuff.

• This post is deleted!

• And yet we in Canada STILL don't have it. Been feeling so left out up here in the frozen north :(

• @emdier:

And yet we in Canada STILL don't have it. Been feeling so left out up here in the frozen north :(

If you create a US account (use fake info) it supposedly works; according to the Internet. I don't think you need any IP tunneling or anything either.

• It seems inevitable where I stand. The ubiquity of mobile devices, the accuracy of GPSes in them, and the popularity of an IP like pokemon among one of the most engaged set of smartphone-users (i.e. Millennials and Generation Y), and you've got a recipe for success.

What's wrong with casual fans for games, though? I thought folks like that financially supported much of the studios who developed such games, and allowed the engine of capitalism to continue to thrum along.

• This post is deleted!

• Fun game. GO has made $1.4 million in the US in the first four days and has added $11 billion to Nintendo's value

I just wish they didn't steal my Google information

• @Riles:

GO has made $1.4 million in the US in the first four days and has added $11 billion to Nintendo's value

The math fails me at this one… especially since only 30% of that $1.4 million goes to Nintendo; as per their part-ownership status of the POKEMON franchise. Unlike "real games", these fake free games with "micro-transactions" make a fraction of their otherwise potential revenue: There is no such thing as a "AAA F2P game".

Their only hope is renewed interest in this provides a basis for them to buy real Nintendo products (such as DS, Wii U) and they make money that way. But that would require follow-through marketing by Nintendo. And, for their userbase not to be a bunch of numb-headed casuals, to which are only playing this now "because their friends do", and not because they are actually a real gamer.

Why are casual gamers bad? Look at NTDOY (US listed Stock for Nintendo) post Wii era in mid 2008 (keep in mind this is pre-Lehman collaspe)… never been the same since. They come, they check it out; perhaps they spend a bit of $$$, then as quickly as they entered they are "bored" and GGWP. Not a reliable business model, to say the least...

@Riles:

I just wish they didn't steal my Google information

• @thegrandalliance:

Apparently, this game is going on fire… supposedly with reports that its active user base at moment is greater then Twitter (>3% of install base). And it is already at work fully engaged in " the natual selection of nerds", as it were

Basically, it is a Pokemon Game made by USA company that puts Pokemon/objects into real world using GPS. So, you are walking around the street using your cell phone camera, and you "see a Pokemon" in some front yard or something. Furthermore, the "gyms" are located supposedly in real-world buildings as well.

And the casuals are sucking this up: Just hope your backyard doesn't have some POKEMON in it, you may need to call Officer Jenny yourself...

...and "some" people still haven't figured out why smartphones "are evil"...

@darthrutsula:

Did you hear that the Westboro Baptist Church is a gym? Currently they dethroned "loveislove's" clefairy with a jigglypuff.

I did hear about this. It made me giggle. The WBC firing back makes me giggle even more.

• @darthrutsula:

How about a cemetery? There's an old burial ground in my hometown that serves as a gym. By the way, my local church is a PokéStop; guess it isn't as important as other churches.

• @thegrandalliance:

There is no such thing as a "AAA F2P game".

I guess The Old Republic, APB Reloaded, Dota 2, Warframe, and Evolve don't count?

• This is bigger than the Pokecraze of the late nineties…

I downloaded and picked Squirtle as my first - and dropped the game on my first day. There is no way I'm gonna have time for this game!

• Supposedly, if you walk away four times when choosing a starter pokemon you can start with Pikachu. Lol

• @GalaxyCrisis:

How about a cemetery? There's an old burial ground in my hometown that serves as a gym. By the way, my local church is a PokéStop; guess it isn't as important as other churches.

I don't think you understand why Westboro would be one to laugh at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

I'd go to their official website (godhatesfags) but that would be the one site I would legit be scared to open. I would imagine they are ridden with malware.

• Okay, I did not know about their scathing stance towards other religions and sexual orientation, let alone how vocal they are about it.

• @Riles:

I guess The Old Republic, APB Reloaded, Dota 2, Warframe, and Evolve don't count?

Don't forget the best hat simulator ever created: Team Fortress 2!