What anime have you been watching?

• I guess it is time for to take back this thread.

Anyways, I just finished watching Please Teacher yesterday and am currently watching Argentosoma.

• Please Teacher is a good one, though I've only seen it once. Never yet seen Argentosoma, how's it so far?

I've been on a bit of a 'break' again from anime, having just recently finished watching all of Gilligan's Island, then re-watching season one of Nick's TMNT, and now I'm working on The Angry Beavers. Before that though, I was on a marathon longer than all of that (or at least felt like it) of just about everything Lupin the 3rd available.

Barring anything else new coming in, I'll probably finally be getting to Robotech soon though.

• I recently bought both seasons of Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts and the first season of Squid Girl, so that's really all I've been watching.
    My life's been pretty empty since AoT, Railgun S, Neptunia, Danganronpa and DxD New all finished.
    Also, I don't know what you all think of this in anime terms, but I've also been watching RWBY.

• Outside of the usual Toonami offerings I recently finished up A Certain Scientific Railgun on Hulu. Not a bad show, though I can't see why people were clamoring for it to end up on Toonami (or was it Index). Still pretty good, though Kuroko Shirai ups the NSFW levels any time she's in a scene.

• Aside from the new batch of simulcasts, I've been watching The World God Only Knows, which has been rather good.

I finished Poyopoyo the other day. It's a very cute show about a round cat and his owners, neighbors, fellow cats, and other animals. It was a nice way to spend 3 minutes between classes or while waiting for a simulcast to be ready.

Still working my way through Witch Hunter Robin and Rose of Versailles, because it takes me forever to watch things that aren't simulcasts or only 13 episodes long. Then on to Penguindrum.

• I'm still in the very middle of Attack of Titan, just taking my time with it. I also plan to watch Kill la Kill as the episodes become available to the general public.

• Aside from the first round of Fall simulcasts, I decided to clear some stuff out of my backlog.

I finished Simoun, which is one of those best anime nobody has ever heard of. It feels like the lovechild of Revolutionay Girl Utena and Macross. Probably DEEN's strongest work, but it still sure looks like a DEEN anime. If you like your yuri anime with thematic depth and character drama, this is it.

I also started Koi Kaze, and Shin Sekai Yori, because subjecting myself to emotional torment seemed like a good idea at the time. Looking back, picking something a little more lighthearted may have been a wiser choice.

• I am on a never ending quest to watch:

Bleach
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Ranma 1/2

Everything else I'm able to get through timely enough. But the last few things I've watched was that.

• Always watching Bleach. Also watching Sword Art Online on Toonami

Recently purchased A Certain Magical Index, Tenchi Muyo! War On Geminar, Appleseed XIII, Roberta's Blood Trail, and Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Battle for Doldrey.

I usually try to catch some of what is being shown at the Alamo Drafthouse in Houston on Tuesdays FOR FREE, but work gets in the way two weeks out of the month.

• @Gekiganger:

Always watching Bleach. Also watching Sword Art Online on Toonami

Not to go too off topic, but how are you enjoying Sword Art Online?

• @Renzokuken:

I finished Simoun, which is one of those best anime nobody has ever heard of. It feels like the lovechild of Revolutionay Girl Utena and Macross. Probably DEEN's strongest work, but it still sure looks like a DEEN anime. If you like your yuri anime with thematic depth and character drama, this is it.

I also started Koi Kaze, and Shin Sekai Yori, because subjecting myself to emotional torment seemed like a good idea at the time. Looking back, picking something a little more lighthearted may have been a wiser choice.

Was that DEEN? If so, I'd definitely agree with that conclusion. First time with Koi Kaze? I wonder what you'll think of the ending. I'd make a sarcastic suggestion for something "bright and cheery" but you've probably already seen anything I would think of.

I've mostly been keeping, or trying to keep, up with simulcasts. I've also been going through some discs, some re-watches and some fresh, but haven't been staying consistent with my viewing habits. I imagine I'll finish up Roberta's Blood Trail, and get through the rest of Kimi ni Todoke and Serial Experiments Lain.

• It is really hitting more of what I had wished .hack//SIGN had been. I don't know about the second half of the series, but I'm definitely enjoying the first half on this rewatch.

• I’m almost done Majikoi oh Samurai Girls, I’ve been watching one episode a day after work; it’s all that I have time for. So far it’s a cute show, a good balance of humor and drama, not groundbreaking in the least, but still a good viewing. I really liked that the other characters called the female protagonist out on being selfish and possessive of the male protagonist; and let’s face it, she pretty much wanted to keep him in her back pocket at her convenience.

About a month and a half ago I finished Gunbuster, for only six episodes it was loaded with action, character development and, as it is painfully obvious, there was a lot of Neon Genesis DNA on it.

After that I watched Demon King Daimao, it was okay, it started off strong, but it suffered from massive pacing issues; it felt very jolting to watch at times. So, overall, it was decent.

I finished High School DxD a few weeks ago over the course of three days, all I can say is that I was very impressed with this series, it exceeded my expectations. I liked that the primary focus was establishing the mythology and narrative, introducing and developing the primary characters, introducing the secondary characters and touching on them, it was wonderfully animated and very well paced. It was so well paced when I got to the last episode I thought; “It’s almost over already, it went so fast.”

I watched the Black Lagoon OVA on one of my days off; it was another great viewing, action, themes, character development and an amazing story.

• @EyeOfPain:

Was that DEEN? If so, I'd definitely agree with that conclusion. First time with Koi Kaze? I wonder what you'll think of the ending. I'd make a sarcastic suggestion for something "bright and cheery" but you've probably already seen anything I would think of.

Simoun was from DEEN's pre-Higurashi days. I've heard the ending to Koi Kaze was pretty meh, but I figured it can't possibly be worse than OreImo.

• @Renzokuken:

Simoun was from DEEN's pre-Higurashi days. I've heard the ending to Koi Kaze was pretty meh, but I figured it can't possibly be worse than OreImo.

So it was Higurashi that killed the DEEN. The end of Koi isn't for everyone, but based on what I've heard of Oreimo, your assessment would be correct.

• I am really enjoying Sword Art Online on Toonami, now that bleach is almost over it gives me something to look forward to on my DVR every Sunday morning.

• Recently finished Katanagatari. It was really pretty and visually appealing, and all the characters had beautiful designs. I liked the ending mostly because it was definitive while also giving you a lot of questions to consider. Lots of dialogue and the fights are rarely longer than two minutes, which is crazy for a show that's 50 minutes per episode. While it's decidedly dissimilar from Bakemonogatari, I can definitely see the similarities between the two - both shows are two sides of the same coin, if you understand what I mean. Bake is more of a guy's harem-esque fanservice-y show, while Katana is more of a girl's fantasy love-esque story. But both have a lot of dialogue and very interesting choices in art and perspective. Both are highly recommended

Currently in the middle of Honey and Clover. It should probably just be renamed The Life and Times of Young Adults in Various Love Triangles. There's, like, one life-defining revelation PER EPISODE, to the point where I'm getting desensitized to all these feelings, so I feel like it would've done a much better job if they had taken it a little slower (the first ten episodes cover about two and a half years in college, for a 24 episode show, so you can imagine the amount of touching moments that are already packed in). Their banter and reactions to each others' words and actions make the show plenty hilarious, but other than that I don't exactly feel for these characters since the plot moves so quickly. Also, the main girl looks like she's literally 12 years old and that's kind of a total put-off

@neonwalrus:

I finished High School DxD a few weeks ago over the course of three days, all I can say is that I was very impressed with this series, it exceeded my expectations.

I really feel like DxD will always be heavily overlooked because nudity will always be an instant rejection for a lot of people. But virtually everything about the show hits all the right notes in my mind, heart, and soul. The character designs are great, the character personalities and relationships with one another are highly entertaining, the humor is dirty but not exactly crude, the battle sequences are really exciting (I still defend that fight choreography has a lot more flexibility when nudity is fine), and the Angel/Devil/Fallen Angel plot is an excellent story that seriously draws me in. It's exceptionally difficult for me to find flaws in any part of the show

• @Riles:

I really feel like DxD will always be heavily overlooked because nudity will always be an instant rejection for a lot of people.

It's not really the nudity, but how/why it's used. The whole "The protagonist objectifies women, isn't that hilarious! He defeats them by stripping their clothes off, isn't that silly!" thing, and the implications that it makes about its female characters are why people are turned off by it. But I'm just going to drop it before I get into another internet shouting match with Neon on the 2nd day of the new forums.

• Now that I see that funimation as those classic anime like Akira I wish that they would get the license for the neon genesis evangelion series.

It makes sense for them to get it because they are doing the rebuild series.

Also I patiently await the dub for evangelion 3.33 you can (not) redo.

• @Riles:

I really feel like DxD will always be heavily overlooked because nudity will always be an instant rejection for a lot of people.

That’s how it is with most of the stuff, I’m not all that surprised; but it is also why I despise certain facets of the anime fandom, critics; especially reviewers and certain radio hosts.

But, if people don’t like that sort of thing, oh well, it won’t stop me from buying and enjoying such shows; here’s hoping that second High School DxD season gets dubbed and released on bluray.

While I do agree with you 100% about anime being dragged through the mud for having ecchi on it; and trust me, I could write a massive rant paper on the topic. There are ulterior agendas of many reviewers which contribute to their failure to be professional by allowing their opinions to be biased and inhibited by ideological philosophies thus preventing any chance whatsoever of a fair and objective review.

However, the truth is that this underestimating of anime goes the other way as well. Unless an anime is a huge blockbuster hype hit like Fullmetal Alchemist or Puella Magi Madoka Magica, a true classic like Neon Genesis or Cowboy Bebop, or an ecchi title like High School DxD or Freezing or a hyperviolent series like Elfen Lied, it’s pretty much doomed to be a cult classic. There are anime that are absolutely amazing that are being overlooked by the general anime fan; shows like The Tatami Galaxy, Princess Jellyfish, Shiki and GunGrave; and that’s just to name a small few, I'm confident there are other shows that are even less represented and promoted.

@Renzokuken:

It's not really the nudity, but how/why it's used. The whole "The protagonist objectifies women, isn't that hilarious! He defeats them by stripping their clothes off, isn't that silly!" thing, and the implications that it makes about its female characters are why people are turned off by it.

Personally I found that aspect very tongue and cheek and a very clever execution of fan service, he isn’t very powerful so he had to resort to other tactics within his abilities, I didn’t find anything particularly toxic or harmful about it. I used to get prissy about it, but now I learned to laugh at the term “objectification” when it is applied as it is here.

I understand it’s not your cup of tea and you have your reasons, we know these aren’t your types of shows and that’s fine, but by know everyone knows how stubborn I am as well in my opinions. Just understand I was equally offended at Bakemonogatari; so in order to keep things diplomatic, I think the term; to each their own applies here.

• Finished High School DxD S2, Danganronpa, and Attack on Titan recently. Lately been watching Star Driver on Crackle. Haven't checked out any of the new simulcasts yet but I'm up for recommendations if anyone has started yet.