Planetarian

• Wow… is this one what I think it is??

Based on a really touching Visual Novel, the one available on STEAM?

If so... I didn't see Funi Advertize this one... but the Visual Novel for this is REALLY good... its based on a post apocalyptic scenario (kind of like Fallout)... where someone combing the ruins comes upon an android girl who used to be the caretaker of a Planetarium... she's in a sad state of disrepair... and the story is about him and her... and how... well I don't want to spoil it...

I am about to check it out... but if this thing turns out as good as the VN did... this could be a pretty excellent anime.

• From what I can tell it's only a movie, so a short-burst of action.

Plus, it supposedly comes out on Sept 3 in Japan, and of course…

• Well it did catch it… and it is indeed the story of the VN I was thinking of... and Planetarian is a good one. Though short... I checked up on Wikipedia as well and it appears this will only be about 6 episodes... still... the story in this is pretty good, and it was made by the people who made Kanon (one of my favorite) and Air... which was another good one.

So I am really interested to see how this one plays out.

On a lighter note TGA... I did finally find a really good lighter hearted one for this season that is looking really great...

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
    (This Art Club Has a Problem!)
    It is great... totally didn't see it coming, just checked it out and by the end I was smiling... straight up Otaku humor.

• @thegrandalliance:

From what I can tell it's only a movie, so a short-burst of action.

Plus, it supposedly comes out on Sept 3 in Japan, and of course…

Just to clarify. There's the short ONA series that started today that'll be 5 episodes. It is what Funi licensed.

Then the movie you're referring to is based off a side story in the game. It comes out in September and so far there is no word if Funimation licensed it. But I feel like Funi definitely will jump on the movie.

• @Phoenixus:

On a lighter note TGA… I did finally find a really good lighter hearted one for this season that is looking really great...

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
    (This Art Club Has a Problem!)

Problem is, not FUNI. Well no matter…

BTW, I did see your post above unknownsage; very interesting, I will have to watch (as it is about a robot girl... :) ) when able.

Until I figure out how to cut/paste on a phone, no special [IMG.] or edits from me…

• UPDATE: Watched it on me real computer… FINALLY something not ******** or YAOI (just because there is no explicit sex scenes doesn't mean it isn't Yaoi) from FUNI this summer.

When I was researching this after the blog post, I though it was only going to be a movie (suppose Wikipedia failed me this time), but yes seeing on the funimation.com/stream; and thanks for the prior heads up above unknownsage, indeed FINALLY something to watch.

So, out of like the 20 things this season, 1 thing to watch. Veeeeeeeeeeery nice hit/miss ratio, I must say. And this show is mandatory viewing for MIKU fans, for what should be self-evident reasons, of course...

My only problem, is I will have a lapse when I goto Japan (unless I can find a way to watch it; perhaps niconico video there) next month. Since the movie will come out right during a block of time I have nothing to do (in Tokyo) for a week until the following MIKU event... I suppose I have some "entertainment plans", as it were. No subtitles, though, a shame. I presume I may even see something in AKIHABARA as well.

BUt of course.... still no "You Should Be Watching", as it were...

• I watched the first episode and it was really good! Definitely going to be one of my favorite Funimation titles this season, as I am a huge fan of science-fiction. The aesthetic and art direction are perfect, and I am intrigued by the story presented so far. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

• @nubguy:

Will be interesting to see where it goes.

!
    ! >
    ! >! Yes, hopefully they don't "all die in the end"; as what appears the original story it is based off, happens. That would be, uh, very sad, to say the least…

…with a upcoming movie, however, not entirely certain whether they will "stick to script" or not, as it were...

• yeah I am not sure. Either way, I definitely hope that Funimation is able to license the movie as well. It would be awesome if they decided to dub this one.

• I'm Just worried about the feels… Anime based off Key visual novels usually leave me broken. :'(

Btw, anyone got any ideas for who could play "The Junker" and Yumemi?

• @thegrandalliance:

[Yes, hopefully they don't "all die in the end"; [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetarian:_The_Reverie_of_a_Little_Planet#Story]as what appears the original story it is based off, happens. That would be, uh, very sad, to say the least…

Yea, this show is going down; they are all gunna die in the end. Plus, this latest Episode 4 was only 17 min long, and lots of "talking". It ends on a dramatic buildup.

Indeed, this is a shame, in either case. Not only is the plot pretextual, but this story would be more interesting to see what happens "in the outside world. But no matter…

• A new trailer was released for the upcoming anime movie, planetarian: Hoshi no Hito (planetarian: Star Person), that previews "Lia's theme song "Hoshi no Fune" (Starship)." The film takes place after the events of the currently-airing, 5 episode mini-series, planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (planetarian: The Dream of the Small Star). The mini-series adapted Key's planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ visual novel while the film is an original story that takes place after the game.

It is unknown yet if Funimation has acquired the rights for the film, but it seems likely. planetarian: Hoshi no Hito (planetarian: Star Person) premieres on September 3, 2016. The dub premiere of planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (planetarian: The Dream of the Small Star) airs this Thursday, 8/4/16.

Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/I2u_ZOS00uI

"Naokatsu Tsuda (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Inu X Boku Secret Service) is directing and writing both projects at David Production (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series). Shogo Yasukawa (Terraformars, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) is writing the scripts alongside Tsuda. Katsuichi Nakayama (Nishi no Yoki Majo - Astraea Testament ) and Shunsuke Machitani (episode director for Oreimo, Kurokami The Animation, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders) are the series directors. Hitomi Takechi (Hyperdimension Neptunia) is adapting Eeji Komatsu's original character designs for animation."

"Visual Art's/Key (Clannad, Rewrite, Angel Beats!) originally released the planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ "kinetic novel" in Japan on personal computers in 2004 before porting it to the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable consoles. Sekai Project licensed the PC version of the game and released it on Steam. VisualArt's also released an English version for iOS."

In addition to returning characters Kazuya and Yumemi Hoshino, there are new characters that join the cast:

"Hoshi no Hito" (Star Person)

Revi

Yobu

Rutsu

planetarian: Hoshi no Hito (planetarian: Star Person) premieres on September 3, 2016.

Source: (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-03/planetarian-hoshi-no-hito-film-new-trailer-key-visual-unveiled/.104986)

• Ahh, well nubguy; if you are so correct as to say this occurs "after" the season, then maybe they "don't all die in the end", after all…

Nice if you could provide a source though, however... It appears ANN (what you copy/paste) is making noob Otaku false conjecture yet again; as the scenes in the trailer of the current cast are flashback scenes from the Anime, and not new ones. Plus, less my Japanese is rusty, the "old dude" is talking about main characters in past tense (as if they dead).

Preeeeety sure they are still gonna die in the end; not having new scenes in that trailer (and also previewing what are likely "their last moments"), the evidence is building against therefore...

• Check out the source link at the bottom of my post, all of your questions are answered within.

Guess we will have to wait and see to find out. The dub starts on Thursday so we will know soon. But the article does say that both characters return for the film. So who knows.

• @nubguy:

Check out the source link at the bottom of my post, all of your questions are answered within.

No, it does not. I am sorry; when posting using a cell phone it takes me 3x as long to edit the posts. Usually, I reposte/edit the same message over and over again until I am done with it (so I don't lose it if it crashes, or otherwise). Ye jumped the gun a bit, to say the least…

In future, give me at least 20, if not more, minutes before responding. Or, at least, check back to make sure. In either case, read the edited post above: It explains as such...

@nubguy:

But the article does say that both characters return for the film. So who knows.

Just because they are "in the film" does not mean it is contemporaneously: More so, in "flashbacks" (as seen in trailer). If the "old dude"/kids were in the same shot as them, then perhaps it can be stated ortherwise. At best, there will be scenes to pre-Anime, such as when Hoshi was "created", and the like…

• Meh, that is all just your own speculation at this point. I will wait to see for myself one way or the other.

Haha 20 minutes dude? Ain't nobody got time for that!

• @nubguy:

Meh, that is all just your own speculation at this point.

Hardly. After all, in the video game this series is based on, they die. So the "base case" should therefore logically remain intact until can be proven otherwise. And BTW, the trailer only helps my case, and not hinder it thus..

• You seriously looked it up already? Come on dude, that's so boring. -_- Not cool to go around posting that potential spoiler.

• @nubguy:

You seriously looked it up already? You are the worst -_- Thanks for spoiling it yet again.

Ahhh, nub, nub, nub, have you not been reading the posts in this thread? O wait, you have; you even trolled me via PM about it.

"Nobody cares", nub. Nobody cares…

They are so focused on "lame" shows like "Tales of Zestiira" and "Love Live Sunshine", that they not the time for a show such as this which requires more then "3 functioning brain cells" (good luck with Millennials) to understand...

/condescension

• @nubguy:

You seriously looked it up already?

Or "played" it. The game is right there on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/316720/

And based on how it appears to be described (as someone who is waiting for the last episode before watching it) they make it come across as if something bad happens to the characters since they seem to like to market it as if it'll be a tear-jerker. Though it looks pretty cinematic and that's one reason why I'd like to watch it.

And I would probably call for spoiler tags because, while I'm not bothered by spoilers, other people are. Even if it does or doesn't happen its still something that can bother people. Just saiyan.

• For the record…

! @Wikipedia:
    ! > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetarian:_The_Reverie_of_a_Little_Planet#Story

A machine the protagonist calls a fiddler crab, due to its design, is guarding the entrance to the city in which he came from, and he devises a plan to destroy it armed with only a grenade launcher. After his initial plan fails and he is forced to face the machine front on, Yumemi tries to protect the protagonist, but is blown in half by the war machine's machine guns.

Yumemi spends her emergency battery life replaying her pre-war memories to the protagonist using a tiny holographic projector on her ear. When the video fades, she reveals that she had known that the planetarium would never have more customers during the 30 years she was alone, despite her apparent infinite optimism up to this point. In her final moment as she "dies" in front of him, Yumemi ejects the memory card from her artificial brain for his safekeeping. Touched and completely shaken by the loss of the beautiful world she left in his mind, he throws away his gun and puts the memory card in his coat, before wandering off with a broken leg as the fallen war machine's automated backup units are closing in on the scene.
    !

Watch the latest episode last week. And, the trailer, a scene shows bullets closing in on Hoshino. They are following everything on script; this story was already over b4 it began. The reason you are watching this, is to see how it happens, not what happened.

Furthermore, although the robot dies, it is not clear if Kuzuta does as well. So many questions…

EDIT: Furthermore, the upcoming movie is based upon a sequel light novel...

@Wikipedia:

Hoshi no Hito (星の人?, lit. "Man of the Stars")

This story occurs some time after the events of the kinetic novel, as human civilization struggles in a losing battle against the poisonous rain. Three of the last inhabitants of a nearly abandoned underground fallout shelter—named Levi, Ruth, and Job—find a quaint old man collapsed in the snow outside the bunker. When they bring him down, they are surprised to hear the adults calling him "Man of the Stars". The children grow quite interested about his strange nickname, as well as the fact that they have never seen a visitor from the outside world. The old man recovers a bit and has the children help him in putting together a portable planetarium projector. This story offers an ultimate conclusion to the story in the kinetic novel.

Again, no mention of the main characters. Indeed, thez all gonna die, it is so..