Tales of Zetiria the X

• Holy balls…

This thing is full blown nearly cinematic anime... I was just stunned watching it... it felt like one of those great openers to a Final Fantasy Game... its very reminiscent of the old FFXI online characters and models, minus the Taru and the Elvaan of course... I was just like... wow....

I liked the voices and the art style in this... and the story line (even though I'm somewhat familiar with it from the game)... is looking like its going to turn out to be something really special.. you can tell they sunk some serious time and effort into this one...

Its got everything including Atmosphere... the fight scenes are well done... the magic is truly high fantasy and fantastical feeling...

I was still going... wow.... after watching it.

• Yeah, my jaw dropped too! I went in not thinking too much of it. I've played the game but wasn't impressed. Yet I was yearning for more at the end of the "Prologue", no less. First episode came out the gate, swinging for the fences.

It's definitely a title on my MUST WATCH list for Summer 2016. Unfortunately, I do fear, the story will slow down considerably as the plot move along. Hope I'm wrong! In any case, this is one Funimation Simulcast I'll be watching religiously.

• It's Ufotable. What did you expect?

• I am excited to check it out now with all the good reviews I've been hearing. I am waiting for the broadcast dub though so almost there. Lol

• @nubguy:

I am excited to check it out now with all the good reviews I've been hearing.

If you need "some bad ones", I can cite one in particular…

@IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/04/tales-of-zestiria-the-x-episode-1-age-of-chaos-review?abthid=577abbbf054afc237b00000a

I can understand waiting to introduce the character in service of fleshing out the world and other members of Tales of Zestiria's cast, but "Age of Chaos" completely wastes that opportunity and only manages to establish that the storms are dangerous. After finishing the episode, I didn't feel as though I had a good sense of the Highland empire or any meaningful attachment to Alisha, whom the entire episode was focused on.

Although this IGN review (complain all you want) probably didn't realize it, this sums up this entire game franchise nicely. The more you do research on this title, the less you care. Normally, the more you get into some anime/game, the more you want to play it. The opposite is true for this one.

Furthermore, the characters are just forgettable. I know me "Ah! My Goddess buddy" (Kosuke Fujishima) did the Character Design, but he failed horribly this time. Maybe my standards are a bit too high… but compared to his previous well-done works, I am just, "meh". However, this has basically been true for like 10 years now, so no big surprise.

Plus, me other "buddy", Motoi Sakuraba, the music composer, slackin' as well. Some people might think this soundtrack is good, but I suppose they are just youngsters that haven't listened to this guy's former "masterpieces" either. Very boring/generic stuff, I could explain this further if needed, but yet...

Basically, this show/game fails everywhere. Had it not have the "Tales" name, it would never had made it to US shores. But yet, this franchise continues to horribly "fail its way up", completely missing out on what they started like 20+ years ago now since. I blame such foolish "young" people for such transgressions... as if you think "Twitter/Facebook/Snapchat/Instagram" whatever social media "is usable", well no wonder you like this nonsense.

The original game in the Tales series 20 years ago (and by in large part, most JRPGS of the time) had massively complex stories; once understood, gave you great sense of understanding about whatever. Now, it is just basically become a "Social Media" game, like most of the JPRG industry... basically short-sighted focused personal stories (usually young kids) without any further expansion. This requires a /walloftext to explain, but nevertheless there is more to my arguments then "simple useless banter", as it were. No matter...

• Lol….

Gotta be contrary don't you TGA...

I'm sorry man but this one... just like Grimgar is probably going to explode.

I'm already seeing it happen on other forums... the post counts in the threads for this one are booming.

Granted all anyone has seen up to this point is the Prologue... but that already looks like its going to be really impressive.

Obviously time will tell as to whether they develop the characters or not... but the opener just blew everyone's socks off.

• @Phoenixus:

Obviously time will tell as to whether they develop the characters or not… but the opener just blew everyone's socks off.

This analysis is generally based upon the video game; so as goes the manga, goes the anime, as it were. The video game clearly "sucks", or it would be selling millions of millions of units, and everyone would say how wonderful it is and the like. An anime based upon this, even if "well done", is capped therefore.

But yes, as I was thinking earlier, the comparison to "Grimgar" is actually well placed. Again, "problems". However, I see this more so; a desperate Otaku fanbase scavenging for anything to watch vs real quality. But I digress…

Unlike with Grimgar, I do have some "experience" with the Tales series... so it is much easier for me to "call it out". Again, given how horrible SUMMER is for FUNimation, even the weakest may prove to be "Lord of the Mountain", it is so...

• @thegrandalliance:

This analysis is generally based upon the video game; so as goes the manga, goes the anime, as it were. The video game clearly "sucks", or it would be selling millions of millions of units, and everyone would say how wonderful it is and the like. An anime based upon this, even if "well done", is capped therefore.

But yes, as I was thinking earlier, the comparison to "Grimgar" is actually well placed. Again, "problems". However, I see this more so; a desperate Otaku fanbase scavenging for anything to watch vs real quality. But I digress…

Unlike with Grimgar, I do have some "experience" with the Tales series... so it is much easier for me to "call it out". Again, given how horrible SUMMER is for FUNimation, even the weakest may prove to be "Lord of the Mountain", it is so...

No Zestiria doesn't suck…It's a great game and it reviewed decently everywhere (about 75+). That IGN reviewer lost all credibility when he gave berserk an 8.5 and this a 5. Saying stuff like lack of character development on a prologue is kinda dumb.

• @GoldCrusader:

That IGN reviewer lost all credibility when he gave berserk an 8.5 and this a 5. Saying stuff like lack of character development on a prologue is kinda dumb.

Yeah that really was what I was getting at too… lol its a frigging prologue and he's bitching about the lack of character development... Lol!!!

I think the reviewer needs a clue like... errm dude its a Prologue... look it up online or in a dictionary heh...

• Nah, the game is the same. There are some Steam reviews I can link, if you must. Again, I can provide a /walloftext if needed; when compared to past games, it is nothing…

• @thegrandalliance:

Nah, the game is the same. There are some Steam reviews I can link, if you must. Again, I can provide a /walloftext if needed; when compared to past games, it is nothing…

It's still a good game..They are some steam reviews I can link too. It sits at 72 on metacritic and 75 on steam. So unless numbers aren't your thing and you want to nitpick reviews of your choice, you are wrong.

Also yea the anime is great! It is visually amazing.

• Not sure how you can consider a game you haven't played good or bad in the first place. The best you can say is if you're interested or uninterested in the game, but just like with shows, you can't really speak for the quality of a game until you've played it yourself

• @Riles:

Not sure how you can consider a game you haven't played good or bad in the first place. The best you can say is if you're interested or uninterested in the game, but just like with shows, you can't really speak for the quality of a game until you've played it yourself

So you're saying, I have to jump off a cliff to see whether I die or not? Indeed, the whole point of scientific observations is to make predictions nevertheless. Furthermore, the pictures of characters/music alone is sufficient evidence alone.

But no matter… ye shall see, in time...

• @thegrandalliance:

So you're saying, I have to jump off a cliff to see whether I die or not?

No. Following that analogy, you would have to play a game to see whether you play it or not

It would be more like jumping off a cliff to see whether or not you feel pain before you die

• @Riles:

It would be more like jumping off a cliff to see whether or not you feel pain before you die

Oooooh, I feel SOOO much better now…

• Wow…. just caught episode 2.

I already saw the OVA on this a while back but... this one just does it sooo much better... the visuals are incredible as they're exploring the ruins. This is some serious cinematics.

• I really enjoyed watching the first four episodes of Tales of Zestiria the X! I like how ufotable is putting some original content into this adaptation. What makes it awesome is that Funimation brought majority of the English voice actors from the game! I can't wait to hear the dubbed version of this show! Also I'm really happy that Robbie Daymond is reprising his role as Sorey! :)

• Oh yea those first 4 episodes were awesome! Tales is probably right now the best new show of the season.

• @GoldCrusader:

Tales is probably right now the best new show of the season.

It's good, but I think Alderamin on the Sky is giving it some serious competition

• I agree actually, Alderaman is seriously good.

The tactical play in that is really intriguing.

• @Phoenixus:

I agree actually, Alderaman is seriously good.

The tactical play in that is really intriguing.

What is that show about?