Free! Eternal Summer Season 1?

• I'm just a little curious, passing by anime sections in store and the debate on what to buy, I seen Free! Eternal Summer season 2 sitting on the shelf and later found out that Season 1 is not available. Does anyone know why that is?
    I'm interested in the series, but not enough to start with just season 2 and I rather watch dubs.

• Free is in a rather interesting position where Crunchyroll has the rights to the first season while Funimation has the rights to the second.

Season 1 is fully dubbed, but you have to be a Crunchyroll subscriber to watch it. Also the home video release for season 1 is DVD-only and subtitle-only.

Yeah, it's…. weird, I know. :hmm:

• awe, well that bites.
    But thank you for letting me know. :)

• Well, I thought Funimation handled that whole situation rather poorly, imo.

(Note that this is my personal view on how it looked to me on how they handled the situation)

Licensing S2, to jump on the bandwagon so to speak, then publicly calling out Crunchyroll, to try to shame them into letting them dub and release S1 on home video, it just didn't sit right with me. If they had handled it better, CR might have let them do it.
    Instead CR hires Cris Sabat's studio to do the S1 dub and granted Home Video rights to Discotek / Eastern Star. Dub release still isn't available on Home Video as of yet.

• Crunchyroll annouced a few weeks ago that they are going to release their own anime on DVD/blu-ray and dub them. Free S1 will be released as well with the dub that uses the same VA Funimation used for S2.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-01/crunchyroll-to-dub-release-anime-on-bd-dvd/.103876

• @Series5Ranger:

If they had handled it better, CR might have let them do it.
    Instead CR hires Cris Sabat's studio to do the S1 dub and granted Home Video rights to Discotek / Eastern Star. Dub release still isn't available on Home Video as of yet.

I read somewhere that CR offered to sell Funi the rights, but that it was a package deal and would also require Funi buying rights for other shows that Funi wasn't interested in.