"All or none" or "Get what you can"? (Licensing sequels)

• Comments about Funimation licensing D.Gray-man Hallow without having a license to the last half of the original series have raised an old long-standing issue again: Should a company say "No" to licensing a title simply because they don't have (and often can't get) the earlier part of a series, or should they go ahead and get what they can.

I've seen this issue come up many times (more on CR than on Funimation), so I'm curious what people's opinions are, and why they hold that opinion.

I'll state I'm in the "Get what you can" camp. I've rarely had a problem picking up on a story. I remember back in the days when I was still watching fansubs, I saw Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai without ever seeing the original series, and didn't really have a problem picking up what was going on.

In fact, while a lot of anime that start off by dropping us in the middle of of scenario give us the background with a flashback or a lot of exposition (which Kai did in the first episode), there are those that leave us to discover the answers for ourselves as they progress. As such, those are little different than this scenario of missing an earlier series or episodes.

• In the case of D.Gray-man Hallow, I think it's foolish to complain about Funimation picking up the license. It seems to be a safer bet to license Hallow as it's only going to be 13 episodes rather than the first D.Gray-man that was 100+. It's not like there's an alternative. If CR had licensed it would they still complain? CR doesn't have any of D.Gray-man. If it went unlicensed, they'd still complain.

I'm in the same camp as you, get as many shows as you can and try to get as many of the big titles as possible.

I do see some part of the sequels complaint, Funi doesn't have the first Love Live but are getting Sunshine. I don't have a problem with that, but it would be cool to get all of Love Live here on this site. Maybe they'll get the license soon? But they're a business and they have to try to get as much content for people as possible to make profit. Complaining about a company trying to make money is SO stupid.

• The difference between Love Live and D.Gray-Man is that as far as I know, no company licensed the second half of D.Gray-Man, whereas NIS licensed and dubbed the original Love Live. I don't care if Funimation doesn't get the license for the second half of D.Gray-Man, but some company should at least try to do so.

• Another difference between D.Gray Man and Love Live is I'm pretty sure the former is a direct sequel to the previous series and Love Live Sunshine is a spin-off that doesn't require watching School Idol Project.

• From a business point of view, "get what you can" is probably the best option, but as a consumer, I'd rather have the whole serie (and other side stories / movies) all at the same place.

• I have no issue with FUNimation picking up D.Gray-man Hallow for simulcast as I'd like at least something in terms of legal options. I'd love it if they released the second half of D.Gray-man, but if Dentsu is playing hard ball then there's not much that can be done. I can understand if there's frustration that most are missing 50+ episodes of story going into this sequel, but I'm sure this adaption will give the highlights as flashbacks.

The short of it: I'd rather have something than nothing at all since we already know it exists.

• Indeed, "TheAncientOne": Add a poll to this question. Perfect fit for it. Give it like a month timeline or so.

For me of course, as with everything in life, it appears,

#ALLORNOTHINGFTW

• Get what you can, because sometimes these things are massive, and it would be a pointless risk to get it all if you don't know, rather than test the waters with a small bit of it. But then, hopefully, it sells well enough to get the rest.

crossing fingers that Viz announces some of the K novels and manga at their AX panel tomorrow, since those are pretty essential to the story

• The original point of this topic has just become moot, as Funimation has FINALLY got the second half of the original D.Gray-Man series: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/06/30/d-gray-man-announcement-on-remaining-episodes/.

• @GalaxyCrisis:

The original point of this topic has just become moot, as Funimation has FINALLY got the second half of the original D.Gray-Man series: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/06/30/d-gray-man-announcement-on-remaining-episodes/.

To be more precise, the example has become invalid, but not the point.

A question this raises about the series in question, however, is if those that believe in "all or none" will wait (as long as it takes) for Funimation to make those episodes available. (I have a feeling it isn't going to be as quick as many are probably hoping).