"Netoge": The Future of Awesome?

• So, since "…and you thought there is never a girl online?" is finished, will there be another season? Or is the story "finished"? Perhaps, Japanese sales were soso?

No matter... I suppose I will find out in 2 months. INdeed, as we can only hope that "The Future of Awesome" comes through, yet again...

https://youtu.be/bNJW113tbKk

• I'm sorry, but I keep on getting this series confused with "Is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon?" - entirely because of the similarities in name. Also, I'm convinced the only reason Trina Nishimura was cast as the female lead is because the male lead is named… Nishimura. Now that I have THAT out of my system, I would say, if the Japanese loved it, they could do another, as the light novels are still ongoing.

• Vol 1 was released on Thursday, so we'll see how it's doing Tuesday

• Yeah that series was pretty good.

I definitely enjoyed this. Not to the point of being fanatical about it, but it was an excellent light anime for the season.

• @Getchman:

Vol 1 was released on Thursday, so we'll see how it's doing Tuesday

Ahh, interesting. I assumed that the book predated the the series. Of course, novel/manga are usually different.

But no matter. I guess I really will find out when I go to Japan less then 2 months. If I see tons of Netoge in AKIBA, well we have an answer :)

• I'm sorry, I meant vol 1 of the anime. the light novel has been around since mid 2013

• @Getchman:

I'm sorry, I meant vol 1 of the anime. the light novel has been around since mid 2013

Yes, well well no matter. If I see a bunch of merchandise (which usually comes later, not before) for it, then that should be "good sign". But of course, that is a bit subjective.

No matter… usually the "popular" series flood the hell out of everything there (banners, promo pictures, the like), so won't be that hard to tell, I suppose...

Indeed, would be nice if "Legendary Age" was a real game though...

!
    !
    !
    ! Don't b** at me for "ruining this show" if you click again; useless wretches…**
    !

• This anime is awful. Harem is an automatic 0/10

• @thegrandalliance:

Or is the story "finished"?

To me the story isn't finished because…

! Ako still haven't understood the difference between the real world and games, which means that they could continue on that path in a second season.

• @the_krock:

To me the story isn't finished because…

That's true, indeed that is/was the premise. But it almost seemed that the story moved to "everyone accepting games as reality", or something like that… kinda like SAO. No matter, nevertheless...

@dabkowski:

This anime is awful. Harem is an automatic 0/10

This isn't a Harem Anime: At least, not in by any sexual definition. IT is no more/less "Harem" then "Sword Art Online" is, therefore.

It appears to be classified as "comedy/romance", and not Harem, by "Anime News Network", and "Wikipedia" both.

• @thegrandalliance:

It appears to be classified as "comedy/romance", and not Harem, by "Anime News Network", and "Wikipedia" both

And yet. I classify harem with the main cast disproportionately in favor of girls with the girl:boy ratio. But what do you classify something where its pretty much all girls? Neptunia for example only has two boys in the entire series, Bikini Warriors only has nameless male side-characters, Wixoss has like two boys but they aren't really in the main cast, Riddle Story of Devil only has their teacher who is the only male in the show.

@thegrandalliance:

That's true, indeed that is/was the premise. But it almost seemed that the story moved to "everyone accepting games as reality", or something like that… kinda like SAO. No matter, nevertheless...

Hey i'm all for that.

• @darthrutsula:

And yet. I classify harem with the main cast disproportionately in favor of girls with the girl:boy ratio.

Harem is generally defined as referring to a sexual/"love" situation, however. Simply having lots of girls isn't enough.

@Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harem_(genre)

Harem (ハーレムもの hāremumono; "from harem"?) in anime and manga is an emphasis on polygamous or love triangle relationships characterized by a protagonist surrounded amorously by three or more members of either the same and/or opposing gender, sex, and/or love interests.

Because this entire's show premise is that Ako/Hideki are "married"; and engaged in a monogamous relationship, the Harem reference cannot apply. The other females are only there by accident, and are only supporting roles. Sure, they may "like" the main character, but there is no competing love interest thereof.

BTW, Neppy, to answer your question:

@darthrutsula:

But what do you classify something where its pretty much all girls?

@Wikipedia:

When it is a yuri or male-hetero oriented harem series, the polygynous relationship is informally referred to as a female harem or seraglios. When it is a yaoi or female-hetero oriented harem series, the polyandrous relationship is informally referred to as a male harem, reverse harem, or gyakuhāremu (逆ハー

Now, as for dabkowski's original statement:

@dabkowski:

I can see how someone, only glancing at this series, may get the wrong impression of things. Indeed, as you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover;

• @dabkowski:

That's because this is not a Harem anime, this is more of a Slice of Life Anime dealing with the mindset of a Gamer.

@thegrandalliance:

You can't really compare the two series, as SAO was revolved around being in a Virtual Reality MMO using a Full Dive Body system, whereas Netoge is the Personification of a Free To Play MMO, bringing Avatars to Life and using them as imagery for Real Life and the problems they encounter. Notice the switch in scenes from 'Legendary Age' to the Computer Club Room, and vice versa for example…

• @Jamstar1:

You can't really compare the two series, as SAO was revolved around being in a Virtual Reality MMO using a Full Dive Body system, whereas Netoge is the Personification of a Free To Play MMO, bringing Avatars to Life and using them as imagery for Real Life and the problems they encounter.

I am not talking about the "life/death" nature thereof, more so simply how their perception of the reality they are in is. Basically think of it as gamer vs non-gamer.

If someone asks you why you play WoW, they probably think you are juvenile/crazy. They do not understand the "community" aspect of MMORPG games. In NETOGE, the premise was initially that Ako was taking the game too seriously (like if it was IRL), and you shouldn't do that. As evidenced in one of the latter episodes (me forgets which), they start to "see from the AKO perspective"; and accept that you can have a "healthy" relationship with MMORPG, and not have it destroy your IRL.

Same with SAO… they get "trapped" into a game in first half of Season 1, "sware off full-dive tech forever", but yet get pulled back in later; and realize that you can play full-dive without it destroying your IRL. The same premise is thereof: One skeptical of gaming technology's impact in realty-based social environment, to one of acceptance.

Granted, the "level of reality" is different between NETOGE and SAO... from simple 2-D MMORPG to Full-Dive tech, but the premise remains the same nevertheless.

• this entire's show premise is that Ako/Hideki are "married"; and engaged in a monogamous relationship, the Harem reference cannot apply. The other females are only there by accident, and are only supporting roles. Sure, they may "like" the main character, but there is no competing love interest thereof.

I disagree there. The show is literally called "And you thought there are never girls online?" so how can it be an accident? It's all about a guy hanging out and playing an MMORPG with a bunch of girl gamers. If anything, the Rusian/Ako relationship is an accident.

Netoge is following all the rules of a traditional harem. It's not a bad show, but it ain't the future of awesome either.

• @7jaws7:

I disagree there. The show is literally called "And you thought there are never girls online?" so how can it be an accident? It's all about a guy hanging out and playing an MMORPG with a bunch of girl gamers. If anything, the Rusian/Ako relationship is an accident.

I won't lie, with the title of the show I would expect like one or two girl-gamers masquerading as guys but I totally expected guy-gamers masquerading as girls which didn't happen. The title should be "And you never thought there was a guy online". At least give us some diversity in the cast and not just a harem.

• @7jaws7:

The show is literally called "And you thought there are never girls online?"

@7jaws7:

Netoge is following all the rules of a traditional harem. It's not a bad show, but it ain't the future of awesome either.

https://youtu.be/StTqXEQ2l-Y

• It'd be nice to see you try and respond with a reasonable argument instead of posting memes and YouTube videos.

Or is that all you can do? ~_^

• @7jaws7:

Or is that all you can do?

Meh, so be it with the borning ness.

You logic argument to claim this show of "harem" anime is false, because you claimed:

@7jaws7:

The show is literally called "And you thought there are never girls online?" so how can it be an accident?

…when yet the show's name is (as evidenced above): "...and you thought there is never a girl online?"

Notice any problems? I thought so... but if not:

is never a girl online

are never girls online

@GOOGLE:

sin·gu·lar

/ˈsiNGɡyələr/

adjective: singular

2. Grammar (of a word or form) denoting or referring to just one person or thing.

@GOOGLE:

plu·ral

/ˈplo͝orəl/
    noun

Grammar

noun: plural; plural noun: plurals

1. a plural word or form.

Thus, because you claimed the show title was referring to "GIRLS" and not "a girl"; your logic premise the show ==harem because the show title says so, is well…

• @thegrandalliance:

Meh, so be it with the borning ness.

You logic argument to claim this show of "harem" anime is false, because you claimed:

You know, if you're willing to go so far out of your way to try to prove that you're smarter than everyone, you might want to start with your grammar and spelling first.

Just sayin'. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

You know, if you're willing to go so far out of your way to try to prove that you're smarter than everyone, you might want to start with your grammar and spelling first.

Just sayin'. :hmm:

…however, to be fair: I was intending that particular sentence structure; although I admit it is a bit rough, nonetheless...