BentPixels (YouTube Network)

• Not sure if this can be answered here but I am trying to find out if a YouTube network called BentPixels works on behalf of Funimation. BentPixels advertises on their website that Funimation is one of their clients however when asking for proof of this they go silent. BentPixels has been sending out many YouTube content ID claims on footage copyrighted by Funimation and making profit off these ID claims.

Can anyone on these forums confirm if BentPixels is legitimate and works on behalf of Funimation?

Any information would be helpful.

• Very interesting post… thank you for bringing this to me attention. From their website:

@BentPixels:

http://bentpixels.com/brands/

protect_my_brand

We are a trusted copyright protection service provider for a number of major media partners and brands, including Disney, FUNimation, UFC, and many others. Our Brand Protection team helps monitor and monetize your IP by:

Using proprietary software powered by Paladin to find copyrighted material missed by YouTube"s Content ID system.

Tracking content early in the claiming cycle, enabling monetization of unclaimed videos at the peak of their popularity.

Identifying and taking action on false claims

Figures as much… indeed looking at this description, no wonder; for instance, they let Hatsune Miku videos go on as long as they do b4 nuking them, they want $$$. This company isn't a DRM company, it is simply trying to capitalize on other people's DRM. IF it was a true DRM claim, they would delete the video, not "hijack" it for profit. Evil YouTube...

Anyways, to answer the question... it is most likely they do use them.

EDIT: I came across this on a GOOGLE Search:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/wmtm9LgNMjc

There is a user named bentpixels who is suing me for rights FAKE author, devido my content is completely original and miss for me, ask you to give a warning or something like that have already challenged the claim and does not want to accept that my content is completely original I ask for help, thank you.

So yes, it does appear to be "a real thing". In either case, I wonder if FUNimation even has legal authority to do this… after all, they are not Japanese companies who "actually" hold the IP rights, of course.

I guess in this case, that indeed,

"YOU SHOULDn'T BE WATCHING…"

• I would assume Funimation having the license to the IP would give them authority to place ID claims. However Funimation isn't even directly placing the claims. BentPixels is doing it and claiming they work on Funimations behalf… with no proof (that I can find) other than the little info they give on their website.

I also checked their twitter feed and it is riddled with complaints about content ID's. They always give a cut and paste reply saying to email their support and they will only talk via DM's. Seems very shady. On top of that BentPixels never once mentions Funimation on their twitter, nor does Funimation ever mention BentPixels. I would think there would have to be some information somewhere linking the two but I am not able to find it.

I have sent an inquire into Funimations support email under "Legal & Copyright Infringement" but have not gotten any reply on whether or not BentPixels works on Funimations behalf.

• @Max_Sterling:

I would assume Funimation having the license to the IP would give them authority to place ID claims.

Not necessarily: You cannot sue Google because they stole some feature from Microsoft simply because you have a user license for Windows 10. The terms of the Japanese license to USA companies would have to explicitly provide such permission; and if this is failed to be demonstrated in a Court of Law through evidenciary discovery, one could move for a "motion of dismissal/injunction thereof", on the grounds of lack of legal standing. If these companies don't have legal authority to sue/take down your content, they cannot legally do it.

Also, there is a provision in US Law Called "Fair Use". Which, depending on what the content is, you may be able to use it; even if they have standing. So they may still lose, in either case. Of course, these "DRM" companies like to operate "outside the law", because they know their victims don't have the money for a battle. But all it takes is 1 legal case, and "Bent Pixels" ==bankrupt.

• Indirectly related but this sounds like a patent troll thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bxcc3SM_KA