Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action Film Trilogy

• Funimation Films has announced that they will be releasing all three live-action Rurouni Kenshin films in theaters this year. Check out the trailer below. Funimation has licensed the films for North American theatrical, home video, video on demand, and broadcast distribution.

"The company plans to release all three films Japanese with English subtitles in theaters in the United States. Rurouni Kenshin: Origins will open from August 8-10, Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno will open from September 12-14, and Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends will open from October 3-5."

"The first live-action Rurouni Kenshin film opened in 2012 in Japan, while the sequels opened in August and September 2014. The films collectively grossed more that US$160 million internationally. The first two films were screened at L.A. EigaFest in 2012 and 2014, respectively. The films adapt Nobuhiro Watsuki's manga, which ran from 1994 to 1999 in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine."

Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/lmvVGSiwMiU

Summary - Rurouni Kenshin: Origins

Fans of the samurai genre will be awestruck by this riveting film adaption of the classic franchise!In the wake of a brutal civil war, the legendary and feared killer Kenshin Himura throws down his sword and vows to turn his back on bloodshed. Choosing instead to live his life as a peaceful wanderer, Kenshin soon finds that the world around him is rapidly changing—and not for the better. A sadistic drug lord, Kanryu, oppresses the people, poisoning them with opium and stealing what little they have left. When this greed-driven monster threatens the beautiful kendo instructor Kaoru, Kenshin can no longer stand idly by. Together with his street fighter comrade Sanosuke, Kenshin sets his sights on a showdown with Kanryu and his deadly henchmen. In a staggering action sequence for the ages, longtime fans will find out if Kenshin can survive his promise to face his own blade—before spilling the blood of his enemies!

Summary - Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno

Spectacular fight scenes and swordplay capture the true spirit of the classic franchise in this thrilling live-action adaptation. Former assassin Kenshin Himura and his friends are called back into action when a ghost from the past era rises to wreak havoc across Japan. Makoto Shishio, another ex-assassin, was betrayed, burned, and left for dead at the end of the war. Badly scarred—but very much alive—Shishio has put together an army and aims to overthrow the new government—burning anything and killing anyone who stands in his way. After witnessing his brutality firsthand, Kenshin agrees to intervene and help keep the peace. Will the wanderer with a blade bathed in blood be able to withstand the fury of the swordsman forged by fire?

Summary - Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

After his confrontation with Shishio ends in defeat, Kenshin Himura awakens at the home of his old Master. With his mind set on revenge, he trains day and night to learn the final technique of his deadly fighting style. While he builds up his strength, Shishio and his army attack the coastline and force the new government to name Kenshin a wanted man. With the world closing in on him, Kenshin will have to look inside himself to find the strength he needs to protect his friends and end Shishio"s reign of terror once and for all. As the two ex-assassins prepare for their final fight, the wanderer with the back-blade and a bloody past will learn which force truly drives him—his will to live or his killer instinct.

To find out more information about the movies, and to see a photo gallery, head over to FunimationFilms.com:
    (http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/rurouni-kenshin/)

Sources: (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-21/funimation-acquires-live-action-rurouni-kenshin-films/.103451), (http://www.funimationfilms.com/)

• A screening in Buffalo would be nice…

• YES! YES! YES! (Come on! Do the Daniel Bryan with me!)

• Yeah, this should be awesome! I am totally going to go see these movies. Let us hope they get a wide release here.

• WANT WANT WAAAAAAAAANNNT!!!!

(Also license the anime. K luv ya bye.)

• My brother and sister have seen these films…via what I assume are bootlegs. They seem convinced they're legit, but I'm convinced they're bootlegs.

At least if I can't see the films in theaters, I can rest easy knowing copies that actually ARE legit are coming.

• seen this with my cousin

they made some changes from the source material but overall it's pretty alright

kinda made me wish they'd do something about "ze germans!" arc

• Tickets for the first movie are now on sale. Head over to FunimationFilms.com to check your local theaters and reserve your seats ahead of time. If you don't see any theaters in your area right now, check back again at a later time as more theaters will be added as it gets closer to the premiere date. Rurouni Kenshin: Origins will open in theaters from August 8-10.

Buy Tickets: (http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/rurouni-kenshin/#theater_locator)

• Already saw them all (Thanks to the Fantasia International Film Festival).

They are all good, the third maybe is little bit too much action centered compared to the first two, but nonetheless, a good trilogy.
    This year, I Have Harmony on my list (since it was not screened here in Montreal this spring). And 23 other movies, but I digress.

If you can don't miss it.

• Yes, thanks for bringing this series to my attention… the "Last Samurai" period is most interesting, indeed.

On an unrelated note, FUNImation fails to promo its Live Action Movies on this site. They talk about anime all the time, but rarely Movies... in fact, many here might not even know they exist. And there is some good ones too, like "Confucius" or "IP Man", should be watched here...

...or was, because of course with the new logo, we shouldn't be watching anymore...

• Funimation released a new sub trailer for the first film, Rurouni Kenshin: Origins.

https://youtu.be/QkRpBUxrO2g

Rurouni Kenshin: Origins is in theaters on August 8, 9, and 10. To check theaters near you, head over to FunimationFilms:

(http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/rurouni-kenshin/#theater_locator

For more information on the films, go to:
    (http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/rurouni-kenshin/)

• @nubguy:

Tickets for the first movie are now on sale. Head over to FunimationFilms.com to check your local theaters and reserve your seats ahead of time. If you don't see any theaters in your area right now, check back again at a later time as more theaters will be added as it gets closer to the premiere date. Rurouni Kenshin: Origins will open in theaters from August 8-10.

Buy Tickets: (http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/rurouni-kenshin/#theater_locator)

See my other post on the more informations topic.

but I want to know if there is a way to know and i wont use the word request but BEG that this movie get shown near me as right now there is 2 places in this state only that are showing the movie and I and a few friends want badly to see this movie. as well as the other two.

• I was checking the show times and noticed that tickets for all three films are on sale. Reserve yours ahead of time so you don't miss out. Head over to FunimationFilms.com:

(http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/rurouni-kenshin/#theater_locator)

• Meh, I am waiting for it to go onto the stream service. These movies are generally hit/miss, so knowing whether it's worth it to pay $$$ for them is unknown until after you have already seen it therefore.

Not a very good business model to say the least, nevertheless I imagine this is actually how most Americans feel on the matter…

• That isn't really how I see it. I enjoy seeing movies on a big screen with epic surround sound, and getting to enjoy a night out with friends or family is always fun. So for me, part of the fun is that I haven't seen the movie yet. If I already saw it, I will know what happens, and will not likely watch it theaters. I want to go in not knowing what to expect, then be surprised by what I see.

It also helps support FunimationFilms, which means we get more anime and live-action films in the future, with wider releases.

• Outstanding news, a truly epic event. I haven't seen any of these movies but loved the Manga and Anime. These are a definite must see for me.

• @thegrandalliance:

Meh, I am waiting for it to go onto the stream service. These movies are generally hit/miss, so knowing whether it's worth it to pay $$$ for them is unknown until after you have already seen it therefore.

Not a very good business model to say the least, nevertheless I imagine this is actually how most Americans feel on the matter…

Seems to work for Hollywood. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• @Sophie:

Seems to work for Hollywood. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

…and since when did FUNImation/Giant Ape Studios/Foreign Language Films become "Hollywood"? What are the total lifetime ticket sales for FUNI movies? Is like, $10 USD?

"Nobody" wants to shell out $$$ for foreign movies without some "confidence". Whereas, with US movies, they are all too happy to make their "donations" for trash movies... almost like they "want to be pillaged..."

• Funimation Article: As The Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Comes to North American Cinemas, Explore The Epic's Real History!

by Funimation Entertainment
    Aug 1st 2016
    Originally published on Anime News Network.

Rurouni Kenshin is one of the greatest historical adventures ever told. It chronicles the deeds of Himura Kenshin, a wandering swordsman in a fast modernising Japan, who was an assassin but now vows never to take another life. Many ANN readers will know Kenshin through the original manga by Nobuhiro Watsuki, or its subsequent anime adaptations. But now Kenshin's story is brought to radiantly colorful, brilliantly choreographed live action, in a trilogy of cinema films.

All three parts of the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy will have limited theatrical runs in the U.S. The first film, Rurouni Kenshin: Origins, will be shown on August 8, 9, and 10, and you can buy tickets today at funimationfilms.com/rurounikenshin. It will be followed by Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno, the middle film, which introduces one of the most memorable villains in manga and anime, the fearsome Shishio Makoto. It will be shown on September 12, 13 and 14. The trilogy wraps up with Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends, which will be shown at cinemas on October 3, 4 and 5.

Rurouni Kenshin takes place in a Japan which has seen unbelievable changes in just a few years. The main story takes place in the 1870s, but with flashbacks to the conflicts that shaped Japan's destiny. Until the mid-19th century, Japan was ruled by the Tokugawa Shogunate, a dynasty of dictators. But in 1853, history was changed forever when the so-called black ships, commanded by the American Matthew Perry, sailed intimidatingly to Japan's mainland. Perry's motive was to force Japan to open up to foreign trade. But he also triggered a series of events that led to civil war.

Called the Bakumastsu conflict, this war was waged between Japan's shogunate forces, who supported the long-established status quo, and rebels called the Ishin Shishi, who wanted a new kind of government. The Ishin Shishi employed an elite quartet of samurai, dubbed the Hitokiri.” According to Rurouni Kenshin's backstory, the hero Himura Kenshin was once a Hitokiri, specifically the assassin Hitokiri Battousai. Although Kenshin is fictional, he's inspired by a very real historical figure, Kawakami Gensai, who was indeed a seasoned assassin and one of the four Hitokiri samurai.

Rurouni Kenshin also shows the Hitokiri's opposite numbers, the Shinsengumi. Again, they were a very real group of elite swordsmen, formed into a special police force to protect the government. One of the Shinsengumi characters in Rurouni Kenshin is Hajime Saitou, pictured right. He was a real person too, and Rurouni Kenshin is one of several manga, anime and live-action films and TV series to depict him.

If you're interested in historical accuracy, then bear in mind that while the Shinsengumi are romanticised in fiction after all, they're an elite band of badass swordsmen! they were ruthless killers in reality. Then again, their enemies the Ishin Shishi were also ruthless, not to mention xenophobic. Staunchly anti-foreigner, they often terrorised people who supported either foreigners or the shogunate.

The Bakamatsu conflict ended in victory for the Ishin Shishi, and the fall of the shogunate. The Japanese Emperor, who for centuries had been an irrelevant symbol, now became ruler of Japan, with the political system consolidated under him. The Emperor at this time was Emperor Meiji; hence the restoration of imperial power after the shogunate's fall is called the Meiji Restoration, in 1868. Some Ishin Shishi figures rose up in the new government, including Yamagata Aritomo, who appears as a character in Rurouni Kenshin, pictured right.

One irony of the Restoration is that it led to Japan westernising and modernising all the more - despite the Ishin Shishi's hatred of foreigners! The reason was that the new establishment realised it had to develop Japan's military and industry on Western lines. In doing so, the government decreed the samurai class was ended. In particular, people were no longer allowed to carry swords in public. But the samurai were stripped of much more than their swords; they also lost privileges that had been in their families for generations. That led to a surfeit of disgruntled, dangerous, jobless swordsmen.

This is the background to Rurouni Kenshin. Swordsmen are still at large in Japan; not only will they cause trouble for Kenshin, but Kenshin himself is seen as a criminal by the authorities for carrying his own sabakato” sword. New kinds of villain have appeared in the country, such as big-league drug smugglers the domestic demand for opium has shot up since Japan opened to other nations. In Rurouni Kenshin: Origins, the villain Takeda Kanyru is introduced. We see he protects his opium empire with a Gatling gun, another dubious boon of trade and Westernization.

More broadly, many of Rurouni Kenshin's characters good and bad, including Kenshin himself have had their lives changed by the tumultuous events in Japan. Sometimes those lives have improved, but often they've been blighted. Bear that in mind… and then sit back in the cinema to enjoy this top-class samurai saga in a bold new form!

Source: (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/advertorial/2016-08-01/as-the-live-action-rurouni-kenshin-comes-to-north-american-cinemas-explore-the-epic-real-history/.104796)

• it's cool that they're being shown in succession like that, which i think is the best way to view it

• @thegrandalliance:

…and since when did FUNImation/Giant Ape Studios/Foreign Language Films become "Hollywood"? What are the total lifetime ticket sales for FUNI movies? Is like, $10 USD?

"Nobody" wants to shell out $$$ for foreign movies without some "confidence". Whereas, with US movies, they are all too happy to make their "donations" for trash movies... almost like they "want to be pillaged..."

Well, here's how DBZ Resurrection 'F' did…
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dragonballzresurrectionoff.htm

The Kenshin movies are actually really good. Kotaku did a write-up when they were released in Japan. I'm looking forward to finally seeing them in the theater. ^_^