Looking to buy dragon ball z collection

• Hey guys,

I was looking at buying the complete series and i wanted to know what my options were. Ive seen the dragon boxes and im very close to buying them but i wanted to know are there any releases that come close to the quality of the dragon boxes?

all i hear is dragon box vs orange box over and over and over again.

im happy to pay the $700 for the dragon box if there is nothing else available. but i definitely dont want the cropped widescreen versions.

so whats available to buy? price isnt a problem but i dont want to spend more if i dont have to (im not rich. ill just save for a month to get the dragon box)

thanks for your help

• All releases of Dragon Ball Z in the US have been cropped, with the exception of Kai.

• @gamergoku:

All releases of Dragon Ball Z in the US have been cropped, with the exception of Kai.

oh wow. ok. did we use to watch it on TV cropped back in the late 90s? im from australia but im assuming the US show would have been the same.

so nothing compares to the dragon boxes then? whats my 2nd best option?

• This post is deleted!

• @bigray:

oh wow. ok. did we use to watch it on TV cropped back in the late 90s? im from australia but im assuming the US show would have been the same.

I'm not entirely sure, though I'm not exactly the best person to ask. :)

@bigray:

so nothing compares to the dragon boxes then? whats my 2nd best option?

I'd say maybe the standard Blu-Rays, as they clean up the animation quite well. (Not that I own them.)

• The Blu-Rays are fine. Yes it sucks that they used an cropped 16:9, but it doesn't really destroy my viewing pleasure. I think that it only chops of something important on one occasion, but I can't remember what it was.

• For value the blu ray standard release are the cheapest and imho the best as far as picture quality just because I like the high saturation of color they use in the mastering.

If you want it at the absolute cheapest you can buy the Orange boxes, but the cropping on that is kinda crap compared to the blu rays. They did a much better job focusing the screens.

In all honesty funimations efforts for the blu ray release of DBZ is the gold standard for classic anime releases. Marthon play is something I so badly long for in other releases that I don't see and I personally hate black borders on anime. Take the time to crop and remaster it properly.

If you absolutely have to have 4:3 then you can buy the dragon box, however you're just throwing away money. The quality isnt any better and it cost of ton of money for no real reason.

You're talking about a show drawn with little to no detail, a terrible budget and something thats old as sin. No matter what unless they go back to the original cells and re animate the whole show you're always gonna being looking at a pretty soft heavily noisy picture.