Naoki Urasawa's Monster

• I have been recommended Monster on numerous occasions, and it sounds amazing. Only problem is, there's nowhere to watch it. Amazon has all of the episodes with dub listed digitally online, but they lost their rights a few years ago I think and you can no longer purchase them. I heard that only the first handful of episodes came out on DVD, so is it even possible to watch this anime? It seems weird that no one has licensed it recently.

• If you buy a region free DVD player, you can import the entire release from Australia. That's currently the only way to buy the show now.

I personally recommend getting a region-free player anyway. It allows me to buy shows from Aniplex that are either OOP or overpriced over here. Plus there are a handful of titles that were released in Europe but not here. Brave Story was even dubbed.

• @SpacemanHardy:

If you buy a region free DVD player, you can import the entire release from Australia. That's currently the only way to buy the show now.

I personally recommend getting a region-free player anyway. It allows me to buy shows from Aniplex that are either OOP or overpriced over here. Plus there are a handful of titles that were released in Europe but not here. Brave Story was even dubbed.

Haha wow, that is like the solution for everything! I am totally going to invest in one of those. I don't suppose you have a link to where I could purchase the Australian import of Monster? I couldn't find it on Google.

• You can find it right here at Siren Visual's website: http://sirenvisual.com.au/index.php/monster-complete-series-box-set-volumes-1-to-5.html

$120 may seem like a lot of money, but when you consider that the series is over 70 episodes and that this is currently the only legal way of watching it, it's actually a very good deal.

An alternative would be to collect the manga omnibuses, which are in print and available at RightStuf. Monster in particular is VERY loyal to the manga. The two are almost 1:1 in comparison.

• @SpacemanHardy:

You can find it right here at Siren Visual's website: http://sirenvisual.com.au/index.php/monster-complete-series-box-set-volumes-1-to-5.html

$120 may seem like a lot of money, but when you consider that the series is over 70 episodes and that this is currently the only legal way of watching it, it's actually a very good deal.

An alternative would be to collect the manga omnibuses, which are in print and available at RightStuf. Monster in particular is VERY loyal to the manga. The two are almost 1:1 in comparison.

Yeah, I think that's actually pretty reasonable given the amount of episodes and it's hard to get status. After hearing so much about it and watching the trailer, I have decided I will be getting in on my next paycheck haha It looks really good. I definitely think it is just my style. Thanks for giving me the link for that!

How come it got a full release in Australia but not in the US? Seems pretty weird.

• @nubguy:

How come it got a full release in Australia but not in the US?

Sucks having Warner Bros. as distributor for your (Viz) discs . First 15 episodes in a set at Walmart.
    It tanked.
    WB said, "Nevermore."

• Yeah, this is one of my favorite series so when VIZ decided to not to finish the physical release I wasn't happy. I got the rest of it from Australia though, and they even used the same English dub for the discs.

I think it was also available to buy digitally on iTunes as well, not sure if that still holds though.