As a Seraph fan, I'm a little disappointed…

• So, being a fan of Seraph of the End, I naturally preordered the limited edition of season one, part one. I was terribly excited when I saw an email in my inbox whose subject line suggested part two would be available to preorder…. only to be horribly disappointed to discover that since I already own part one, I have the choice of either buying it AGAIN if I want to get some of the special goodies coming with the collector's edition, or forgo them entirely if I just want to get the second half of the series.

So what gives? Can't we have a limited/collector's edition of JUST part two and the goodies as well? Or do those of us have to go and buy part one a second time over again to get it? Either way, it feels like I'm losing out...

• I agree. CE's are, in theory, supposed to aimed at the hardcore fans of a show who want more goodies and are willing to pay the higher price. But with Seraph, hardcore fans have very likely already gone and purchased part 1 because no CE was announced until AFTER it had already come out. Fans won't be happy about the prospect of having to double-dip so soon if they want the extras from the CE. This isn't like FMA or Soul Eater's premium re-releases, this is brand new show.

• @Firefly:

I agree. CE's are, in theory, supposed to aimed at the hardcore fans of a show who want more goodies and are willing to pay the higher price. But with Seraph, hardcore fans have very likely already gone and purchased part 1 because no CE was announced until AFTER it had already come out. Fans won't be happy about the prospect of having to double-dip so soon if they want the extras from the CE. This isn't like FMA or Soul Eater's premium re-releases, this is brand new show.

This is why, if you are into the CE's…

THAT YOU NeVER BUY ANY DVD RELEASE UnTILL THE CE COmES OUT!!!

'ehm, 'ehm…. no matter. The concept of "Buyer Beware" applies, as I do believe. People who always "rush to buy the first thing that comes out on store shelves", are usually ALWAYS being taken advantage of by "someone"... indeed, patience is key.

• I think you should wait until you can see what makes the collectors' edition worthwhile. I say don't preorder until more about it is out. If there's a lot of good stuff then I think double dipping would be worth it but that's your decision at the end of the day.

• @thegrandalliance:

This is why, if you are into the CE's…

THAT YOU NeVER BUY ANY DVD RELEASE UnTILL THE CE COmES OUT!!!

'ehm, 'ehm…. no matter. The concept of "Buyer Beware" applies, as I do believe. People who always "rush to buy the first thing that comes out on store shelves", are usually ALWAYS being taken advantage of by "someone"... indeed, patience is key.

Uh, in case you didn't notice, Funimation did release a special limited edition of the first part already. That's PRECISELY the problem here. Normally if there's both a regular and limited edition being offered, the same will be offered with the next installment. And if there's another fancy edition later, it's well after both (or all, depending on the size of the series in question) of the original release is finished.

Take Attack on Titan, for example, which released a fancypants limited edition of the first season, and then did the same with the second, in such a way that the people who bought the first one could just buy the second and be done. However, by offering a limited edition right off the bat that included a chipboard box sized to fit BOTH PARTS Funimation basically implied that it WAS the special version and that there would a corresponding part two.

• As I mentioned in the other thread (the one announcing the release slate), I too am a bit disappointed in this decision. I would definitely buy the CE had I'd not already bought the LE of part one. Now I'm just sitting here a bit torn in what I want to buy. It's the main reason why I haven't gone ahead and pre-ordered the second part.

I'll likely just get the regular edition of part two, but with this announcement I'm in no rush to pre-order. I have no issue with them releasing a CE of the show, but this early on after offering an LE of the first part that was clearly intended to house the second part is a bit of a blunder.

• @ACDragonMaster:

Funimation did release a special limited edition of the first part already.

Funimation likes to think everything they release is "limited edition". There can be more then one, in other words. Thus, wait until the full box set or otherwise comes out, before pulling the trigger. Never buy one episode block at a time, and think you are getting the best deal.

• @thegrandalliance:

Funimation likes to think everything they release is "limited edition". There can be more then one, in other words. Thus, wait until the full box set or otherwise comes out, before pulling the trigger.

That isn't always the best choice of action. The Amazon-exclusive set of Cowboy Bebop sold out while it was still in pre-order, for instance.

Sometimes, these things really ARE limited, and if you wait too long, you miss out entirely.

• @SpacemanHardy:

The Amazon-exclusive set of Cowboy Bebop sold out while it was still in pre-order, for instance.

But wasn't that the full season though? In this case, if I am reading this properly, we are talking about a limited edition that is broken up into releases.

@ACDragonMaster:

So, being a fan of Seraph of the End, I naturally preordered the limited edition of season one, part one.

In other words, when you buy a DVD, you are only like buying 6 episodes at a time or something Whereas, the Cowboy was all of the episodes together, so you knew what you were getting.

Granted, I admit this is predatory FUNimation practice; but yet it exists, so simply have to deal with it so…

• @thegrandalliance:

In other words, when you buy a DVD, you are only like buying 6 episodes at a time or something

11-13 episodes, actually. Funimation isn't Aniplex of America.

Still, that's besides the point. Sometimes "Limited Edition" really does mean "limited edition". If you really want that chipboard box that badly, it's not always in your best interest to sit on it for fear of it suddenly going away.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Still, that's besides the point. Sometimes "Limited Edition" really does mean "limited edition". If you really want that chipboard box that badly, it's not always in your best interest to sit on it for fear of it suddenly going away.

Yes, but it is that "predatory marketing behavior" by FUNimation that leads you into a trap, like in this example. They announce a redesign after the first DVD is released; clearly to get you to rebuy it again. "Nothing to see here, move along…"

In either case, I haven't bought an ANIME DVD in like 8 years, so I am somewhat out of the loop on such matters. I have bought box sets (in pieces; and from FUNimation) back when shows used to be 26 episodes long, and had no problems. Nevertheless, it is 2016 now...

• @thegrandalliance:

Yes, but it is that "predatory marketing behavior" by FUNimation that leads you into a trap, like in this example. They announce a redesign after the first DVD is released; clearly to get you to rebuy it again. "Nothing to see here, move along…"

While I do think Funimation might have handled this particular situation better, I wouldn't exactly call it "predatory" behavior. Funimation always releases their split-cour shows in two sets in the beginning. People want the show as soon as they can, so they make the most profit possible when it first comes out. Then they release a complete collection at a lower cost a year or two down the road to scoop up anyone who may have previously been on the fence at first.

This current situation with Seraph notwithstanding, this isn't being predatory. It's just smart business. Funi is out to make a profit after all.

Besides, we don't know about all the licensing issues and red tape that Funi might have had to deal with to put out this collector's edition. They may have been forced to hold it back until now due to issues with Universal and/or Studio WIT.

• @SpacemanHardy:

This current situation with Seraph notwithstanding, this isn't being predatory. It's just smart business. Funi is out to make a profit after all.

Besides, we don't know about all the licensing issues and red tape that Funi might have had to deal with to put out this collector's edition. They may have been forced to hold it back until now due to issues with Universal and/or Studio WIT.

Man, I think I am finally starting to understand what dougswisher was feeling…

@dougswisher:

"Go defend the sacred cow, oh White Knights of FUNimation!"

'ehm, 'ehm, what really indicates that FUNI is /guiltyascharged is this blog post they just put out:

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/06/16/learn-how-our-award-winning-collectors-editions-were-designed/

@FUNimation:

Learn how our award-winning Collector"s Editions were designed!

Did you hear the news? This year, the Collector"s Editions for Fullmetal Alchemist, Black Lagoon, and Tokyo Ghoul were nationally recognized for excellence in packaging, design, and content. That means when you bring home one of these sets, you"re bringing home a winner. So, what does it take to create award-winning packaging? Let"s take a peek into the Funimation world!

Coincidence? I think not…

• …..That blog post has literally nothing to do with what I just said. -_-

People seemed to like Seraph of the End. So Funi put out a high-quality collector's edition for the fans. How is that being the least bit "predatory"?

It's not like they're taking the AoA/PonyCan approach and forcing people to buy the high-priced version. People can still buy the standard release if they prefer. But for people who really, REALLY like the show and want something tangible that they can hold in their hands and cherish, I see nothing wrong with Funi putting out this release for them.

Granted, they could've timed it a bit better is all, for the people who've already bought part 1.

• @SpacemanHardy:

…..That blog post has literally nothing to do with what I just said.

Read above poster's concerns. They are talking about the CE. My above observation was a generalization of this thread; the world isn't always talking about you, Spaceman. :)

O wait, but do note this:

@SpacemanHardy:

Besides, we don't know about all the licensing issues and red tape that Funi might have had to deal with to put out this collector's edition.

Key point: CE. :)

@SpacemanHardy:

People seemed to like Seraph of the End. So Funi put out a high-quality collector's edition for the fans. How is that being the least bit "predatory"?

By making people think there isnt going to be one, then dumping one 1 DVD release into the set; forcing the loyalists to rebuy everything.

@SpacemanHardy:

Granted, they could've timed it a bit better is all, for the people who've already bought part 1.

Yes, or perhaps offering pricing discounts for people who bought it (although effecting that would be hard).

Anyways, Spaceman… point of order: I gotta go leave me computer, got some food awaiting me. Be awhile before I get back, in either case (if today). Nice chattin' with ya for now.

• Is it possible they could still release the limited edition of part 2 that would fit with the first one? As TGA said, they could have two versions of it, in a way. Just speculation.

• This does raise a good point. In a way it's very similar to the situation with the limited edition chipboard box that they originally made exclusive to the Funimation ultimate edition for Attack on Titan.

Enough people raised their voices over just wanting the box by itself that Funi actually decided to put out a version that just came with volume 2 and the collector's box, and made it not only available to the Funimation store, but also to RightStuf and other retailers.

The decision was a grand success, and the volume 2 + box edition sold out everywhere. I should know, I was one of the people who bought it.

Perhaps it might be in Funi's best interests to do something similar in this situation.

• @nubguy:

Is it possible they could still release the limited edition of part 2 that would fit with the first one?

They are.
    But the beef for the guys who already bought Part 1 is with releasing the "Collector's Edition" at the same time.
    I'd say sell off Part 1 LE and use the money to offset purchasing the CE if you're that hardcore.

• @TIL:

They are.
    But the beef for the guys who already bought Part 1 is with releasing the "Collector's Edition" at the same time.
    I'd say sell off Part 1 LE and use the money to offset purchasing the CE if you're that hardcore.

My friend Megan, who is a big Seraph fan, has decided she's going to keep the Part 1 she has now as her "travel copy", and buy the CE anyway.

• This post is deleted!

• I'm moving this over to the Seraph of the End forum as it is not a Funimation.com suggestion.

Carry on.