Regarding Premium Releases and Disc Art…

• So with the upcoming Ultimate Edition release of Haruhi, I noticed its only real physical extra is art cards, something you've been doing on just about every LE recently. This honestly underwhelms me given what Bandai did on their LE's (V1, V2, V3, V4). I remember when LE's used to have items, but then those disappeared around 2012 or so, and have only just recently really made a return. I appreciate that happening, it's something that all FUNi LE's should have, but one complaint I have is how every single time it's just art cards. Can you please do more than just art cards like every single time, especially given how standards have gone up? Look at what Anime Limited and Universal UK have been doing in the UK, and you'll notice there's now more fans willing to go for those releases over your own at this point. Heck, look at this on Amazon.

Great series, so why 3 stars? Blame a poor excuse for a collector's edition from Funimation.

For your extra dollars over the standard edition, you get a glow in the dark box - compare this to the list of extras in the UK release from Universal : Art box, poster, postcards, trading cards and art book, all for roughly the same price as the Funimation version and only lacking the DVDs….

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3MDDDPVH7QQK5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01BUQ72H6 | Overview of the UK Release

And then there's also The Heroic Legend of Arslan, which for some reason you're not giving an LE while the UK is getting this.

There's also what Sentai has done for LE's (save for a few, like Parasyte due to the JP release not being that great), and what you've been doing looks very barebones by comparison. Ex: Beyond the Boundary, No Game, No Life, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

I'm not sure if it's hard to clear getting the JP physical extras or not and you feel fans want only art cards, but can you please start doing more for your premium releases than just art cards almost every single time, especially given how that pales in comparison to the above (even many singles era releases are nicer, including some you released)? A suggestion I have is you could try getting just about everything the JP release had and also having a CE option like you did with say Tokyo Ghoul. Remember, the market is inelastic as your old competitor Geneon found out (Timestamps: 44:20-49:22, 66:00-67:50), and collectors who you will have to rely on in the future if you want to continue releasing discs will be willing to pay the price. The title matters more than the price to those that truly care about a series.

Lastly, some things I have to say regarding disc art. Since mid-2012 nearly all of your releases have had very bland disc art, and it's something I really want to see go away. That type of disc art makes your releases less appealing, and makes many people want to import instead. I appreciate it coming back for shows that can get LE's, but can it come back across the board please? It's saddening when you used to do the left all the time (it's a Geneon disc, I know), and now nearly everything looks like the right. http://i.imgur.com/ms8xWnl.jpg

[Edit]Oh also, can you please finally start making more of your premium releases have a matte finish instead of a glossy one? Glossy artboxes are fingerprint magnets.

• I agreee. I'm totally looking forward to importing that arslan release btw

• Is the Seraph of the End Collector's Edition closer to what you want?

• @vhernandez:

Is the Seraph of the End Collector's Edition closer to what you want?

We don't know the details of what that has yet, and ironically enough it was solicited only after I made this thread. The only thing we know is it contains all 24 or so episodes. I personally didn't care for Seraph of the End, but I feel bad for the fans with what FUNi is giving them for one of their biggest shows of the year vs. what the UK is getting.

On another note, I made a Twitter poll. Looks like people agree with me that art cards are not enough.
    https://twitter.com/BigOnAnime/status/743106947558297600

• The FUNimation shop doesn't really detail what is in the collector's edition, but if you look up that deal they have with the Seraph of the End shirts (http://www.funimation.com/p/sale?gtm_medium=ribbon>m_source=home>m_campaign=062016-fs-seraphofendvampirereign>m_content=preordertee)

The Collecter's Edition contains:
    Rigid Cardboard Box
    8-Pannel Digipak
    8 Art Cards
    10 Stickers
    200-page Hardcover Art Book
    Season 1 Part 1 on Blu-ray and DVD
    Season 1 Part 2 on Blu-ray and DVD

I agree with you though to some extent. I think I'd prefer more extravagant premium/collectors' editions. I just chalked it up to it possibly not being a profitable move. I would have loved something more with Noragami's LE bc it was basically just the box. If I can make a request to FUNi lol it would be cool if they could release Blood Blockade Battlefront's soundtrack which could possibly be hard w licensing and all that. I can hope.

• please don't strain yourself to try and feel bad for all of us. disk art is of little importance to me

• @BigOnAnime:

Oh also, can you please finally start making more of your premium releases have a matte finish instead of a glossy one? Glossy artboxes are fingerprint magnets.

I agree so much on this, I had those glossy art boxes so much. Love the matted ones though.

• @BigOnAnime:

On another note, I made a Twitter poll. Looks like people agree with me that art cards are not enough.
    https://twitter.com/BigOnAnime/statu…06947558297600

Who knew that 3 people represents such a strong majority.

@Getchman:

please don't strain yourself to try and feel bad for all of us. disk art is of little importance to me

I agree with this since people normally buy something on disc for the show, not for the disc art. IMO those that complain about that should find better things to complain about.

• @vhernandez:

The FUNimation shop doesn't really detail what is in the collector's edition, but if you look up that deal they have with the Seraph of the End shirts (http://www.funimation.com/p/sale?gtm_medium=ribbon>m_source=home>m_campaign=062016-fs-seraphofendvampirereign>m_content=preordertee)

The Collecter's Edition contains:
    Rigid Cardboard Box
    8-Pannel Digipak
    8 Art Cards
    10 Stickers
    200-page Hardcover Art Book
    Season 1 Part 1 on Blu-ray and DVD
    Season 1 Part 2 on Blu-ray and DVD

I agree with you though to some extent. I think I'd prefer more extravagant premium/collectors' editions. I just chalked it up to it possibly not being a profitable move. I would have loved something more with Noragami's LE bc it was basically just the box. If I can make a request to FUNi lol it would be cool if they could release Blood Blockade Battlefront's soundtrack which could possibly be hard w licensing and all that. I can hope.

Oh it would be a profitable move given again the people that really care about a show have an inelastic demand for it. Look at how AoA continues to succeed with their $10 an episode releases. Granted, not everything is going to be able to justify a better release, and I actually am currently defending FUNi a bit for their huge decline in LE's given how many old unsold ones are still around.

And now that's more like it for a CE.@Getchman:

please don't strain yourself to try and feel bad for all of us. disk art is of little importance to me

If you don't care for it, that's fine, but I've seen a good number of people that feel the same way as I do, many of which are collectors, whom FUNi will have to rely on eventually when the casuals stop buying discs. The market is shifting more and more to the collectors. Heck, in the UK, Manga Entertainment UK got booed at their MCM panel for how they get to keep FMA:B, and Anime Limited aren't going to get it and won't get to do a CE.@jlaking:

Those retweets don't mean much… In order to see the results atm, you need to vote. Once the poll ends, you can see the entire results. Here's what I have so far.
    http://i.imgur.com/3bCSEcW.png

I agree with this since people normally buy something on disc for the show, not for the disc art. IMO those that complain about that should find better things to complain about.

Yes, but many want a very nice presentation. Why do you think FUNi made their "Hey, Nice Package!" segment, you'll see packaging shots from Sentai, Rightstuf, FUNi (with CE's/PE's), etc.? Many fans really care about all aspects of a release. If I wanted just the show, I'd just stream it or get it digitally. I prefer having a nicer physical release over a much more bland release. Hell, I've been going and grabbing singles versions of various shows I already own and for some shows I still don't own because of how much nicer those releases are compared to the later releases.

• @jlaking:

Tell that to all the people angry about the disc art being the same on all 3 discs of the GWLTT collector's edition (although there are plenty of other reasons people are angry with that release).

• Most of the LE/CE you've mentioned from Sentai also have an MSRP of $100+. And these are for 12 episode shows to which you're comparing 24+ episode shows to (FUNimation's 12 episode LE's usually go for around $50-$60 tops). Of course a show with more episodes is going to cost more regardless of the little extras they come with. NGNL's playing cards are pathetic (not printed by USPCC, EPCC, or Legends or really any printer of notable quality), the Migi figure is hardly worth the space it occupies, and the list goes on. If anything, I consider those "extras" as tacked on expenses to a release.

The only worthwhile non-art related extra that immediately comes to mind would be ironically FUNimation's own release of Black Lagoon with a legitimate Zippo lighter. Useless for me, a non-smoker, but it worked and everything. And it cost me as much as say Sentai's bare bones Blu-ray release of Maid-sama!.

As long as FUNimation sticks to their current price point for their LE's, I have no issue with them and would gladly add them to my collection (for shows I enjoy). I don't need little trinkets to rack up costs.

However, I will agree, the glossy boxes have got to go. I look at Blue Exorcist, Fate/stay, and other Aniplex releases as examples of how a box should look and feel. (Then they went and released Aldnoah Zero in some of the worst packaging I've encountered).

• @CostlyAxis:

Most of the LE/CE you've mentioned from Sentai also have an MSRP of $100+. And these are for 12 episode shows to which you're comparing 24+ episode shows to (FUNimation's 12 episode LE's usually go for around $50-$60 tops). Of course a show with more episodes is going to cost more regardless of the little extras they come with. NGNL's playing cards are pathetic (not printed by USPCC, EPCC, or Legends or really any printer of notable quality), the Migi figure is hardly worth the space it occupies, and the list goes on. If anything, I consider those "extras" as tacked on expenses to a release.

If you haven't noticed, FUNimation has upped their MSRP for LE's from $70 to $85, and the only thing they've been doing to show for it most of the time are art cards. They used to include items at no extra charge.
    http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?1125-FUNimation-LEs-Retailer-Exclusive-External-Bonuses-Thread

Items (or in Seraph of the End's case, a glow in the dark artbox) came back in recent LE's that were $85 MSRP ($70 MSRP had no items), as well as disc art. If a show gets an LE now, both the LE and RE will receive actual disc art. Shows that are RE-only will suffer and get the color-coded crap that has been annoying collectors for years.

I don't have much of a problem with them charging more (plus I heard I think Lance say the $5 increase didn't help manufacturing costs much on those earlier LE's), but I want more than just art cards if they're going to do this. Where's the variety? Hell, as I suggested earlier, they could also have a CE option that goes past the LE with art cards.

As for Parasyte, yes that first LE wasn't that great, and the second LE while an improvement isn't very impressive. However that was due to VAP dropping the ball hard as I mentioned before. Just look at this.
    http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p503823072
    http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w142139628

Did you also know that Sentai's covers, disc art, and even the artboxes are made from screenshots? There was no good art available, magazine art was nonexistent and the JP release had a horribly ugly design. Sentai wasn't able to do that much with the show, I still applaud their effort though.

How good a premium release will be here is dependent on how good the JP release is in most cases. Companies rely on stuff from Japan quite a bit, though they do at times make their own extras (Ex: Persona 4, JP release had booklets and CD's, Sentai didn't give us either of that).

• @BigOnAnime:

If you haven't noticed, FUNimation has upped their MSRP for LE's from $70 to $85, and the only thing they've been doing to show for it most of the time are art cards. They used to include items at no extra charge.
    http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/…Bonuses-Thread

Items (or in Seraph of the End's case, a glow in the dark artbox) came back in recent LE's that were $85 MSRP ($70 MSRP had no items), as well as disc art. If a show gets an LE now, both the LE and RE will receive actual disc art. Shows that are RE-only will suffer and get the color-coded crap that has been annoying collectors for years.

I paid $63.74 for the LE of Seraph. Tokyo Ghoul Root LE was $52.49. I'm not seeing these prices you're mentioning. BBB LE was $63.74. I mentioned $100+ for Sentai's stuff because that's how much it cost me. Their suggested prices are around $130+.

If you want FUNimation to release more versions of a show, then that's fine to a point. However, their LE releases are very competitively priced.

• @CostlyAxis:

I paid $63.74 for the LE of Seraph. Tokyo Ghoul Root LE was $52.49. I'm not seeing these prices you're mentioning. BBB LE was $63.74. I mentioned $100+ for Sentai's stuff because that's how much it cost me. Their suggested prices are around $130+.

If you want FUNimation to release more versions of a show, then that's fine to a point. However, their LE releases are very competitively priced.

You first mentioned MSRP in the beginning of your post, not sale price…@CostlyAxis:

Most of the LE/CE you've mentioned from Sentai also have an MSRP of $100+.

• @BigOnAnime:

You first mentioned MSRP in the beginning of your post, not sale price…

But does that lessen my point about prices? The offset is roughly the same either way.