Is It Just Me Again, or Was the E3 Press Conferences "Disappointing"?

• Reviewing Bethesda, Microsoft, Sony and the others… it seems like this year is very disappointing to some demographics. If you are not into the "near future style; end of world, doom/gloom" type of gameplay; or some random "crime drama", there isn't too much out there. LIke the ONLY JRPG featured of course, FF, apparently is "all that exists". No Elder Scrolls 6 (although news today from the developers indicated "they are working on it"), nothing regarding Project Diva series of course; no changes in console prices, no other JRPG games not FF, or otherwise.

The demographics of this event were focused on "Mature" games, but not the type that are necessarily interesting to an Otaku. Also, other then brief mentions of VR, very little discussion in the way of new technologies for the next year as well. I suppose I could be missing something, but nevertheless I found it somewhat "a waste of life", in either case.

Hopefully, we will get something out of this E3 later this week. Or otherwise there will be a ton of unanswered questions, nevertheless...

• @thegrandalliance:

nothing regarding Project Diva series of course; no changes in console prices, no other JRPG games not FF, or otherwise.

Well there isn't really much in terms of japanese games like these since the american audience doesn't really know about them. Like Hyperdimension Neptunia is such a niche game series, but at least its one that is getting more popular. Games like these would more likely come from someone like Sega or Iffy themselves, not Sony since they would only announce stuff that would make a crap ton of money.

• @darthrutsula:

Well there isn't really much in terms of japanese games like these since the american audience doesn't really know about them.

Yea, well it doesn't help if you don't mention them whatsoever. I remember a time… 2005 and before, whereas JRPG's were front/center stage every E3. Since then, they moved to only feature "depressing video games", for whatever reason... it is like they are trying to get Americans to kill themselves, or something...

• I am a Nintendo fanboy and only plan to watch theirs >.< I don't own any other consoles

I am sure I wont be upset no matter what they put out….........................

Which is problematic but hey w/es.

Though it is odd as I usually take pessimism. I find it to be the best option in terms of outcomes.

• @priestesstyrande:

I am sure I wont be upset no matter what they put out….........................

Yea, however I think 2017 will be Nintendo's "Last STand" with the NX. IF they swing and miss this time again, it will be their last. At best, they will end up like Sega; a developer without a console.

Really depends on the games. If they can get the game's quality back to where it was pre 2005, then they have a chance. But if they just dump more stupid Mario/Zelda/Pokemon games without a logical story; or otherwise "storyless games", then its GGWP.

• The new Microsoft Project Scorpion sounds interesting if not for it's sheer power alone (4 terraflops of power with 4k resolution support), then at least for bringing virtual reality to the console experience. If you can play full games, especially open world games, then I am completely sold. Sounds crazy! lol

• Yea, but I am not sold on VR yet: The game's have to match the quality. Problem is, as seen with PS4 for instance… none of the games seem even remotely interesting for VR. WE are not talking about a "Sword Art Online" level of tech; or anything remotely thereof, yet.

And 4K... that is still 5 years, at least, away from going mainstream. The Internet is still trying to handle 1080p bandwidth issues for 300+ million Americans. 4K will just /nuke the infrastructure.

• Well JRPGs and other japanese influenced games have largely been moved to PAX. In all fairness they all pretty much follow the same formula. I am actually most siked about this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAXNQveHsG0 loved the first one, it was so much fun and had an interesting way of story telling.

• @darthrutsula:

Well JRPGs and other japanese influenced games have largely been moved to PAX.

Yea, I noticed "all the good games" seemed to have moved away from E3. What is funny, is that I never actually been to PAX (even though it started in Seattle, of course). Problem is, by the time I figure out tickets are for sale, they are sold out.

However, this year PAX PRIME/West is first week of September… and of course, me won't even be in the same "hemisphere" of the planet then, of course :)

• In any case, I am TOTALLY okay with Daddy Kratos. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_GCPaKywg

• @SpacemanHardy:

In any case, I am TOTALLY okay with Daddy Kratos.

Yea, LoL, that opening to PS4 event was a bit "funky", to say the least. Does appear that game is "the most anticipated" for people who like that series. However, personally I never really cared too much about; but I do respect thoughs who like it, of course.

ANyways, I am just /angrly that once again, I wait all year for E3; and by its end, I am still "clueless" as to what I want to do the following year Video Game wise. Ever since TOtal War: Warhammer came out, that is basically the "last game" (PC wise) that "I still cared about (not including Warcraft)", and so I am still uncertain as to "what to do next", in either case.

EDIT: On another note… it sure does seem that "these forums are a ghost land" these last few days, it is so. My "trolling" is like accounting for like 30% of the total posts :)

• @SpacemanHardy:

In any case, I am TOTALLY okay with Daddy Kratos.

I am still more partial to hot Daddy Ryu….

Wait where did this conversation go?

@thegrandalliance:

Yea, however I think 2017 will be Nintendo's "Last STand" with the NX. IF they swing and miss this time again, it will be their last. At best, they will end up like Sega; a developer without a console.

Don't they still dominate the hand held market?

@thegrandalliance:

more stupid Mario/Zelda/Pokemon games

• @thegrandalliance:

EDIT: On another note… it sure does seem that "these forums are a ghost land" these last few days, it is so. My "trolling" is like accounting for like 30% of the total posts

I don't really find much reason to post sometimes, because unlike you, I don't post on threads for shows I haven't watched.

That and with the forums being so quiet I just kind of do other things.

• @priestesstyrande:

Don't they still dominate the hand held market?

Depends on your definintion. Techincally, "no"; because cell phones (Iphone/Andriod) completely blow out Nintendo out of the water. If you mean dedicated gaming system (vs PS VITA); then yes, but that market is much, much smaller then a decade ago.

…another reason there were "rumors" of a "Mario game on Andriod", but that is a worse case scenario, in either case. Let us just say; the revenue from the DS alone would not be enough to keep the NX/console based gaming platform alive.

@TheGrandALliance:

…more stupid Mario/Zeld Pokémon games

I, perhaps should clarify this. I am not against these franchises, rather I am against bad games of these franchises. Since 2005 or so, none of these franchises has had games that ==, surpassed the previous. We have yet to see another "Super Mario RPG" quality of game; a "Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time" level. Although the Pokemon games are mixed, none of them surpass the original. The games that exist now, are "without a spirit"; for the most part, linear, and "boring" by comparison.

@darthrutsula:

because unlike you, I don't post on threads for shows I haven't watched.

Well, there is more on these forums then just plot discussions of ANime (and me being accused of spoiling everything), of course? :)

No matter, there is always an ebb and flow to the forums; thus should not be of great concern, it is so…

• I was lucky enough to get to go to PAX in Seattle last year. It was so awesome! I got to try out a lot of cool games and see some awesome shows like Mega64 and Rooster Teeth. Definitely an awesome experience.

@SpacemanHardy:

In any case, I am TOTALLY okay with Daddy Kratos. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_GCPaKywg

Why does he have a giant beard now? Lol

• @thegrandalliance:

Depends on your definintion. Techincally, "no"; because cell phones (Iphone/Andriod) completely blow out Nintendo out of the water. If you mean dedicated gaming system (vs PS VITA); then yes, but that market is much, much smaller then a decade ago.

Which is sad considering micro-transactions seem to be the norm, people prefer those over just buying the game once and being okay with that. Which I can see the merits of the ftp model since the games are pretty much extended demos but I just don't think that buying a reskin to a game is the way gaming should go. Nintendo is JUST NOW joining the mobile market and the only reason they'd release a new handheld is because they know people will gobble it up and why shouldn't they? Nintendo has solid IPs which is enough to sell the handhelds. The libraries on the DSs are pretty good with monster hunter and pokemon, even if people would like a console equivalent to those two rpgs. Like just having an HD Monster Hunter would be AMAZING. Having an overworld for pokemon with actual 3D rather than the stupid top-down side scrolling crap would be so cool to play.

I like nintendo and i'll end up owning whatever console they end up releasing next (except handhelds). The central issue Nintendo will have is getting developers back to developing games on their console because the Wii pretty much scared them all away and scared even more away with the wii u.

@thegrandalliance:

We have yet to see another "Super Mario RPG" quality of game; a "Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time" level. Although the Pokemon games are mixed, none of them surpass the original. The games that exist now, are "without a spirit"; for the most part, linear, and "boring" by comparison.

I hate nostalgia goggles so damn much.

! I also hate retro gaming. But that's not what I'm trying to roll with here

• @SpacemanHardy:

In any case, I am TOTALLY okay with Daddy Kratos. ^_^

I'm not. He looks like the Woodsman from The Wolf Among Us

• @darthrutsula:

I hate nostalgia goggles so damn much.

Its not that… rather a lengthy /walloftext comparison. It cannot be argued that "old Nintendo" overall outperformed the "new"; sales or otherwise, by very large differential. Or in other words, the games suck now :)

Of course, I could explain that, but no need nevertheless...

• Sorry I consider handheld and Mobile to be 2 different gaming formats still. The Vita came out when I was employed at Best Buy-I knew the DS would crush it.

@thegrandalliance:

We have yet to see another "Super Mario RPG" quality of game; a "Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time"

I still feel this comes down to opinion.

The Paper Mario games (Arguable the spiritual successor to Mario RPG) Are some of my favorite games.

• Talking specifically the first 2 here. I will admit #3, Sticker Star, and I am sure color splash based on what I have seen fall into a different category of game. While good in their own right are not what I seek from Paper Mario.

As far as Zelda goes, while I rank Skyward Sword low on the list I still consider A Link Between Worlds, Windwaker, Twilight Pricess, and Majora's Mask to be some of the best installments in the series.

Pokemon is gold. No qualms here. I look forward to Kukui and thank the internet for its collective work on him already hahaha!

@darthrutsula:

I hate nostalgia goggles so damn much

Dons his Rose tinted glasses

• @priestesstyrande:

Sorry I consider handheld and Mobile to be 2 different gaming formats still. The Vita came out when I was employed at Best Buy-I knew the DS would crush it.

Well, yes I would agree as well. But our opinion on the matter is "irrelevant"; as the "supermajority" of "Earth has spoken", and they don't like Nintendo anymore :(

Indeed, virtually every "Flash" game or otherwise Android/Iphone game "is crap" when compared to a DS; that doesn't stop people from bailing, in either case. Personally, I have moved so much into PC gaming that the handheld, even if there was something I would buy (like Project Mirai), simply doesn't have the appeal as it used to have.

AAAANyways, me needs to sleepz now. Been "working" all night (as evidenced in MUSIC forum subsection), and of course…

• Though it looks like the only things Nintendo is announcing will be new LoZ, which I won't lie looks really good, and pokemon reskin/sequel number 6. I personally still prefer HG/SS. They're all pretty much the same game just with some very minor gameplay adjustments and an increased roster, its like getting pokemon DLC but the DLC is able to be played on its own.