Um… Spoilers?

• So, I'm following along with the dub for My Hero Academia and I just went to the homepage for Funimation and it had what I'd say is a spoiler for the show.

I mean, in big, bold letters it says the MHA (or whatever the school is called) is under attack by villains in episode 10.

Now, I'm not one to normally complain but I don't know if that's the smartest thing to have on the homepage when I imagine most of the people coming to the site might be hoping to watch the dub and aren't there yet.

So, anybody else have any thoughts on this?

• @betuor:

is under attack by villains in episode 10.

….so you are basically describing the plot to like 90%+ of all Anime? Not Exactly a "Spoiler", as it were...

• @thegrandalliance:

….so you are basically describing the plot to like 90%+ of all Anime? Not Exactly a "Spoiler", as it were...

But 90% of anime don't have their first set of villains wait and show up until episode 10 specifically and attack the school. As it were…

• @betuor:

But 90% of anime don't have their first set of villains wait and show up until episode 10 specifically and attack the school. As it were…

Depends. Although not everything is a school-based anime; indeed it does. Generally episode 10/12 is the "climax building" episode… for instance, in "and you thought there never was a girl online?" show that aired a few days ago, they engage in a MMORPG style RvR (siege PVP) battle.

Usually, episode 10 of a series has the prelude/start of battle, episode 11 is the engagement thereof; and final episode 12 is the "conclusion". If a series has 13 episodes it can be upshifted by one... nevertheless, whatever "conflict" that the show is based upon/concludes thereof, usually starts in episode 10 or so...

Of course, they assumed you are already up-to-date with MHA, so it wouldn't be a spoiler. And, if you aren't already...

• It's not really a spoiler, because the simulcast is already at episode 10. The dub is a few weeks behind, so if you're following the dub exclusively, it might seem like a spoiler when it really isn't.

• @SpacemanHardy:

It's not really a spoiler, because the simulcast is already at episode 10. The dub is a few weeks behind, so if you're following the dub exclusively, it might seem like a spoiler when it really isn't.

I think he means in a general context… as for people who haven't watched any MHA, for instance.

• @SpacemanHardy:

It's not really a spoiler, because the simulcast is already at episode 10. The dub is a few weeks behind, so if you're following the dub exclusively, it might seem like a spoiler when it really isn't.

I'm only watching the dub. basically, that's not the kind of thing I'd post in chat in Dubbletalk because it would spoil it for them. It would be like saying **** won CW and the only death was ***** ******. To me those are spoilers. To me, that was a spoiler. I had no idea the school was going to be attacked. I also had no idea that would be the first time villains appeared. Now, it's not a major spoiler but it has killed some of my interest in the show. I'm not feeling the school thing as much and have been mainly waiting for them to fight bad guys but I now have to wait until episode 10. I can now take 3 weeks off. That is, unless Funi wants to feed me more plot beats. Maybe when Deku will get control of his powers or who does dies.

Also, **** you TGA. Thanks for another spoiler. You're such a ****.

EDIT: Do NOT insult fellow forum members or use F or C-bombs on the forums. -SH

• @betuor:

Also, F
    u you TGA. Thanks for another spoiler. You're such a ct.

???? It is in the episode description you know? The battle itself isn't the core premise of the story though, it has to do with the "cultural festival" that is to take place. And I didn't tell you how it ended either (or still is in progress at moment).

Meh, no matter. You need't work yourself up over ANIME so much, it is all rather predictable if you stop and think about it; in due time…

• @thegrandalliance:

???? It is in the episode description you know? The battle itself isn't the core premise of the story though, it has to do with the "cultural festival" that is to take place. And I didn't tell you how it ended either (or still is in progress at moment).

Meh, no matter. You need't work yourself up over ANIME so much, it is all rather predictable if you stop and think about it; in due time…

I'm currently watching the dub for Girl Online and you go and talk about the latest subbed episode. I'm not getting that worked up over it it's just you literally couldn't be giving less shits about others. I've seen it before but wow you just can't stop, can you?

Well, I'm done reading your posts. All you are going to do is spoil things.

Really, what about what I said in my original post made you think that was a good idea? Man…

• Once again, I'm going to have to remind everyone to please remain civil.

Betuor, I know TGA can be a handful, but please don't break the terms of service by resorting to insults or foul language. Be the bigger man.

TGA, please be mindful that some people really dislike spoilers, so when in doubt, please use spoiler tags when discussing such topics. If you have to wonder whether or not it's a major spoiler or not, it's probably better to be safe than sorry and use a tag anyway.

Let's all try to get along and be nice to one another, okay? :)

• @betuor:

Well, I'm done reading your posts. All you are going to do is spoil things

What, you have been reading my posts? I thought you already canceled your sub 10000x now, as you indicated previously?… In either case, "BREAKING NEWS!!?!?!"...

@betuor:

Really, what about what I said in my original post made you think that was a good idea? Man…

I was comparing this situation to another anime series that you could find relevant. I wouldn't call the events of the show "a spoiler", as that series is basically a combination of fragments of storylines. IN other words, a bunch of "random stories" dumped into one. The "main story" is about the relationship between Ako and Hedeki, not the sideline things that happen along the way.

Or otherwise, you probably should just stay off of ANime websites all together. Because, if you think about it; by your definintion, "everything" is a "spoiler", after all…

@SpacemanHardy:

TGA, please be mindful that some people really dislike spoilers, so when in doubt, please use spoiler tags when discussing such topics. If you have to wonder whether or not it's a major spoiler or not, it's probably better to be safe than sorry and use a tag anyway.

Yes, I suppose; however in the above example of NETOGE, I would not consider that by itself "a spoiler" (by conventional definition anyways). However, I needed an anime series that he would get that would be relevant to this discussion; to explain my comparison of how what FUNimation did is indeed not spoil anything. If I referred to some old anime, he might not get it, or yet still accuse me of "spoiling something". It is hard to make a point without supporting evidence of course…

• Just as long as we all play nice, okay?

• @SpacemanHardy:

Just as long as we all play nice, okay?

Indeed, fair enough. However, it was not my intention to "be a douchebag" with that first post above. I suppose I should have considered my "audience" in this case, and calibrate accordingly.

• @thegrandalliance:

Yes, I suppose; however in the above example of NETOGE, I would not consider that by itself "a spoiler" (by conventional definition anyways)

Conventional wisdom would dictate that any plot discussion past the first episode would be considered a spoiler

• @Riles:

Conventional wisdom would dictate that any plot discussion past the first episode would be considered a spoiler

…that would assume a show has "a plot" in the first place. Although I could be mistaken, NETOGE is basically just a comedy series with random stuff, with no central core plot: Generally what "Slice of Life" anime is about. Kinda like Dagashi Kashi. Nothing is "ruined" by simply reading episode descriptions, as I see it.

But yes, if you were to expand that from "plot" to "subject matter", then perhaps you have a point. Perhaps, I simply have a very high degree of tolerance; that others do not, in either case. Furthermore, I did not of course state what the conclusion of the events were, no nothing "spoiled" there either.

Meh, if people are gonna think everything of anything is a spoiler, why post on these forum in the first place?...

• @thegrandalliance:

Although I could be mistaken, NETOGE is basically just a comedy series with random stuff, with no central core plot

You are mistaken

• Riles is right. There's definitely more to Netoge than "random stuff happening". :hmm:

• I do agree that FUNimation probably jumped the gun by announcing what a particular episode was about that is not yet available in both of its formats (sub and dub). It's in a similar vein to one service having the latest episode whereas all other services are delayed a week, and those people are discussing the latest episode. That is to say it's avoidable by not visiting that discussion, but in this case, it's on FUNimation's front page. That makes it a bit more difficult to not see…

• @Riles:

You are mistaken

見ることが、信心ことて゜す。

"To See, Is To Believe…"

Indeed, if I must reference source material as to my defense, it shall be so…

@Wikipedia:

A spoiler is an element of a disseminated summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot elements which threaten to give away important details concerning the turn of events of a dramatic episode. Typically, the details of the conclusion of the plot, including the climax and ending, are especially regarded as spoiler material.

…as I would not consider what has been said above as such, therefore...

@CostlyAxis:

I do agree that FUNimation probably jumped the gun by announcing what a particular episode was about that is not yet available in both of its formats (sub and dub).

You are forgetting this is MHA: Don't you remember all the EMAIL FLOOD for this show? ANd everything else?

! @thegrandalliance:
    ! > I know you probably bankrupted yourself on the licensing fees or something with this show… nevertheless, the promotional spam has "exceeded the point of forgiveness". I log in this morning, and now see pictures of characters pop up on my screen in the corner. As to the history of your advertisement campaign: First the site was flooded with news, then constant email spam; and now I have to look at them every time I load a new webpage here?

Indeed, I watched a bit of the premiere episode: Some people might like it it appears; alas, such an Anime isn't worthy of non-stop spam. With this non-stop barrage of nonsense, it is as if Funimation's new trademark is now:

"YOU SHOULD *NOT BE WATCHING…"
    !

They can't help themselves…

• I wouldn't see it as a spoiler considering they're the villains of the show if you watch the OP

• @thegrandalliance:

見ることか、信心ことて゜す。

"To See, Is To Believe…"

Indeed, if I must reference source material as to my defense, it shall be so...

...as I would not consider what has been said above as such, therefore...

Gonna have to disagree. Given the nature of the show, that very well might be an important point of character development and conflict resolution from the point of view of someone still on episode 5. It could imply a lot of different things

I don't understand why you're so quick to dismiss it as an irrelevant piece of information for a show you haven't watched. Is it necessary for you to double down on your mistakes instead of admitting that you messed up?

@vhernandez:

I wouldn't see it as a spoiler considering they're the villains of the show if you watch the OP

The opening doesn't say THIS IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IN EPISODE 10, which is the issue. There's a difference between anticipation of something that's going to happen and knowing when it's going to happen