Why are there no more releases that aren't combo packs?

• I have no idea if this was covered anywhere else already, but..
    I was wondering what happened to the option of getting DVD or Blu Ray? I have no need for two copies of the same show, and really don't like having to pay ten dollars or more extra for extra copies I don't need. I know it makes sense from a financial standpoint for Funimation, but as a consumer, it's really annoying. The prices on the separate sets was a lot more affordable, and I used to order more Funimation DVDs/Blu Rays (I think I have some Blu Rays.. I've slowly started buying more of them lately when the price is good) then than I do now.
    Was there some huge demand for them or something that I'm not aware of?

• @Elise.Grimwald:

Was there some huge demand for them or something that I'm not aware of?

There's cost savings from not manufacturing.packaging/stocking a separate DVD-only product for most of their titles.
    Some of the more (hopefully) popular new titles get DVD-only runs for Walmart. Assassination Classroom, Tokyo Ghoul 2 and Seraph of the End are currently sitting on their shelves.

• For some it also helps to future proof some of their sets.

Not everyone has made the jump to Blu-ray (Myself included) So by having combo sets like this you can get the DVD you can use now and when you make the eventual leap you don't have to repurchase the whole collection.

• I am so thankful for combo packs I wish all releases for all anime companies had them. I use BD for TV and DVD on computers

• I'm in the minority then, it seems. I mean, I don't mind getting two copies (Like I said, I don't need it, but I don't mind either way), but the prices have went up a lot since the combo packs started. They're still WAY better than Aniplex, but $45 minimum for a set is a lot more than the $30-$35 they used to be for my choice of which one. That's my main issue with them, the price.
    I get why people like them now, though. I just wish the price hike wasn't so bad. I think Yona of the Dawn's second set is like 60 bucks. And the first, non limited edition, is $45-$50. >_<;. And the limited Black Butler: Book of Circus was nearly $70, and all it came with was a special box and a paper/cardboard/card stock?? fold out dvd box. I don't know if it has to do with being a combo pack or not (it may very well not.. Soul Eater Not was $45 limited edition), but it was way more money than the other limited edition Black Butler sets. It just seems like everything went way up since the combo packs started.

• Eureka Seven is coming out in a Bluray or DVD only option, and its price is up there with the rest of the Bluray/DVD combos (while it has substantially more episodes, it's also over a decade old now). I don't think including DVDs to a Bluray set substantially increases the price of the release. If anything, it might actually save on production as there is a single form factor for the packaging.

• @Elise.Grimwald:

I'm in the minority then, it seems. I mean, I don't mind getting two copies (Like I said, I don't need it, but I don't mind either way), but the prices have went up a lot since the combo packs started. They're still WAY better than Aniplex, but $45 minimum for a set is a lot more than the $30-$35 they used to be for my choice of which one. That's my main issue with them, the price.
    I get why people like them now, though. I just wish the price hike wasn't so bad. I think Yona of the Dawn's second set is like 60 bucks. And the first, non limited edition, is $45-$50. >_<;. And the limited Black Butler: Book of Circus was nearly $70, and all it came with was a special box and a paper/cardboard/card stock?? fold out dvd box. I don't know if it has to do with being a combo pack or not (it may very well not.. Soul Eater Not was $45 limited edition), but it was way more money than the other limited edition Black Butler sets. It just seems like everything went way up since the combo packs started.

Yeah it's true that prices have gone up but it's not because of the combo packs. The have always been around $40 since the first one I remember Ga-Rei-Zero Limited Edition back in 2011

If you compare the prices to Section 23/ Sentai Filmworks

http://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Blu~ray,DVD/publisher/SECTION23-FILMS,SENTAI-FILMWORKS

You can see that these combo packs really don't change the prices much. Don't think of it as paying $10 more for the combo pack but more of paying $40 for a DVD and getting a Blu-Ray worth $50 free

• Blu-ray has been out for 10 years now (it came out in 2006 with the first PS3) so the DVD shelf space at major retailers like Walmart will continue to shrink as blu-ray and 4K UHD take over. The market will likely completely switch over within a few years. Blu-ray players can be bought for $29 now and you can't even buy a TV that isn't HD anymore, so there is really no reason not to upgrade to HD home video at this point.

Also, SD looks terrible comparatively.

• @Cheat:

Also, SD looks terrible comparatively.

Agree completely.

But you would be surprised how many people SAY they cannot tell the difference, and many people just want to get the cheap version of the movie/series.

If something is out on BD, I will gladly pay the bit extra for MUCH better picture quality. I also get the 3D version where applicable (got a 3D TV on clearance a while back, I love it), and now am debating on getting the 4K versions to be future proof when I get a 4K TV.
    The only exceptions have been Aniplex stuff… Their BDs are sooooo damn expensive compared to most everyone else that I have been debating getting the DVD versions just to make sure I own the series.

• The combo packs dont bother me but i buy only for the blu ray versions. I dont buy anything on standard dvd anymore.

• I give away the dvds to my friend myself. You could always either do that or sell it to someone to recoup some of the cost if it really bothers you TC.

• I like the BD/DVD combos because it is nice to have a backup version to play if you go to someone's house and they don't have a bluray player.