"FUnimation Acquires Exclusive Rights to First Japanese Feature-Length Anime Film"

• http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/05/31/funimation-entertainment-acquires-exclusive-rights-to-the-first-japanese-feature-length-anime-film-momotaro-sacred-sailors/

FLOWER MOUND, TEXAS May 31, 2016. Funimation Entertainment is proud to announce its acquisition of the restored edition of Mitsuyo Seo"s Momotaro, Sacred Sailors the first feature-length animated film produced in Japan. Written and directed by Mitsuyo Seo (1911-2010), Momotaro, Sacred Sailors” was a propaganda film produced in 1944 by Shochiku Co. Ltd. and released in 1945 during the final months of World War II.

Short Synopsis

On the eve of a parachute mission during the war in the Pacific, a group of navy paratroopers, a monkey, a dog, a pheasant, and a bear, go home for a brief visit before heading off with their squadron to their base in the South Pacific. Lead by boy warrior Momotaro, the squadron prepares to attack the enemy on Devil"s Island.

On the eve before the attack, we learn why Momotaro and his squadron are called sacred sailors.” A story is told of a ship with white men arriving at a beautiful island. The captain tricks the king into thinking they are merchants and he welcomes them on the island. Quickly thereafter, the crew reveal themselves as pirates and then plunder the island. All that remained was a legend that sacred sailors will come from the east” who will free the people.” Momotaro and his compatriots are these sacred sailors.

The attack on Devil"s Island finally begins. The paratroopers quickly overpower the horned, white devils, who then surrender to Momotaro unconditionally. Peace returns to the South Pacific.

I believe, on behalf on all Americans, we have only one thing to say to such nonsense Anime…

• It certainly seems exciting from the historical perspective.

I had honestly never heard of this anime before. Looking forward to watching it when it releases!

• Well if FUNimation releases it on Aug 6, then I perhaps may feel a bit better, nevertheless…

Basically it is trying to blame Commodore Perry and the arrival of Americans for why Japanese People acquired large quantities of military weapons; invaded China/Korea, raped/razed their cities, and all the other "Crimes Against Humanity".

O sure, leave out all the important stuff, why don't you Japs? Meh, no matter... perhaps they can explain it to me when I go there myself this August, nonetheless.

• At this point it's value isn't really that it's a good film or that we're promoting it's values and messages, but it has more to do with its historical relevance as one of the first anime pieces in the medium, as well as being an interesting historical time capsule of Imperialist Propaganda values. Not saying it's a good thing, but from a Film Historian/World Cinema perspective it's quite fascinating in general. Definitely something that will be interesting to have back in circulation in order to have studied in classes that's for sure. It's like how we don't promote the messages of films like Birth of a Nation today, but at the very least it holds historical relevance to studying history and film in general.

@thegrandalliance:

I believe, on behalf on all Americans, we have only one thing to say to such nonsense Anime…

Stay Classy TGA.

• @classyspartan:

At this point it's value isn't really that it's a good film or that we're promoting it's values and messages, but it has more to do with its historical relevance as one of the first anime pieces in the medium, as well as being an interesting historical time capsule of Imperialist Propaganda values.

Yea, LoL I know. The problem is, some Japanese people haven't gotten past WWII… as evidenced by Obama's trip to Japan last week/visit of Hiroshima. Some of them still think USA is evil; the "aggressors" in WWII, amazingly enough. Seen it first hand in my 9 months there as well.

NO matter... now I am just waiting for FUNimation to release "the Anime" claiming Hitler is "the best ever"; and then we got the full set, it is so...