Momotaro, Sacred Sailors (1st Animated Feature Film from Japan)

• This is actually really cool! Funimation has announced that they are licensing what is considered the first animated feature film in Japan, which dates back to World War II.

The film in question is called Momotaro, Sacred Sailors (Momotaro - Umi no Shinpei) and was a WWII propaganda film created in 1944. Funimation will be releasing the new digitally restored edition of the film to the United States and Canada. "Funimation was among the financial backers of the restoration."

"The story follows Momotaro, who, according to the traditional Japanese fairy tail, was born from a peach and joins with three animal companions to defeat monsters. In this version, Momotaro is running a Japanese naval base and fighting the Allied Powers."

"Mitsuyo Seo directed the 74-minute black-and-white film after first directing the 37-minute film Momotaro's Sea Eagle, which has a similar premise and is sometimes considered to be the first feature-length animated film in Japan based on different definitions of "feature-length." A crew of 70 staff members created Momotaro, Sacred Sailors using 50,000 animation cels on a budget of 270,000 yen (equivalent to about 600 million yen or US$5.5 million today). After the war the film was believed to be lost until a negative copy was discovered in 1983 and re-released in 1984. "

Honestly, this is really cool. This is like a piece of history being brought to life once again. I am totally excited to see which voice actors they choose, and how those actors will portray the characters. It will be quite something to be able to watch the very first feature length anime film from Japan. Great grab Funimation!

Source: (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-31/funimation-licenses-wwii-era-anime-film-momotaro-sacred-sailors/.102694)

• I'll be honest…..........I don't actually think I want to see this one dubbed.

This is a weird historical place in the midst of WWII that in a ways was basically a piece of Imperalism propaganda in the form of one of the first anime/animated pieces in Japan. I honestly think this one would be a whole lot better sub-only. Especially when it comes to the script and the feel of it, it'd be really weird to try and do that in English in modern day. I honestly don't even think from a dub only viewer's perspective this one will gather much of an audience. It's crucial to restore a piece of Film History and of course to release it for future study and discovery for any and all Film History/World Cinema classes, but I really, REALLY don't think this one would actually warrant, let alone SHOULD it get a dub. And I love dubs. But this one getting dubbed feels.......wrong to me.

• @classyspartan:

I'll be honest…..........I don't actually think I want to see this one dubbed.

This is a weird historical place in the midst of WWII that in a ways was basically a piece of Imperalism propaganda in the form of one of the first anime/animated pieces in Japan. I honestly think this one would be a whole lot better sub-only. Especially when it comes to the script and the feel of it, it'd be really weird to try and do that in English in modern day. I honestly don't even think from a dub only viewer's perspective this one will gather much of an audience. It's crucial to restore a piece of Film History and of course to release it for future study and discovery for any and all Film History/World Cinema classes, but I really, REALLY don't think this one would actually warrant, let alone SHOULD it get a dub. And I love dubs. But this one getting dubbed feels.......wrong to me.

Yeah, that is a very interesting point you bring up. It probably wouldn't feel right with a dub, given its historical context. I think you're right about it being better as a sub-only release. It might lose some of its value in being turned into a dub.

Now, it will be interesting to see which way Funimation goes with it. They haven't said yet whether they are releasing a dub or a sub only. Hopefully, they will see it that way as well. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing this piece of animation history.

What do you all think? Should this one be a sub-only release?

• I'm all for anything they can pull out of their asses that causes further delay of the Steins;Gate movie or the rest of the Otakon 2014 announcements.

And before someone says this wont have any impact of the other things; this will. Every project being worked on is time not being spent on something else.

• This post is deleted!

• @dougswisher:

And before someone says this wont have any impact of the other things; this will. Every project being worked on is time not being spent on something else.

No it won't,and stop crying.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @MaestroB:

Hello!

Sorry for jumping in but actually I'm not replying to this post but as a new comer into the forum, I just want to say hello to you old folks.

Well, you chose a weird thread to do it in, but no worries nevertheless.

@nubguy:

Honestly, this is really cool. This is like a piece of history being brought to life once again. I am totally excited to see which voice actors they choose, and how those actors will portray the characters. It will be quite something to be able to watch the very first feature length anime film from Japan. Great grab Funimation!

As evidenced my other thread about this movie, perhaps they will put this in the Funimation Dub version as well:

{Indeed I love FUNI's trademark… works like a charm:)}

• @thegrandalliance:

As evidenced my other thread about this movie, perhaps they will put this in the Funimation Dub version as well:

lol A sort of "deleted scene," as it were?

• @nubguy:

lol A sort of "deleted scene," as it were?

BTW, for all of ye "youngsters still in diapers" out there who may not instantly recognize it as such; that picture is a scene from the Japanese surrender aboard the USS Missouri on 9/2/1945, marking the official end of WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan