Why do older titles never get a BD release or stay out of print?

• Just in general be it Funimation or other distributor does anyone have any ideas why older titles some that were very popular and others that were more obscure never get a remake release on BD or even stay in print. I know money is the easy answer but there has to be more. Some titles that came to mind that fall under ether example were Mahoromatic, Outlaw Star, Wolfs Rain, Infinite Ryvius and a few of the Gundam titles. Just curious

• I'm by no mean an expert some may be able to tell you in detail but it could be for any of a number of reason.

Maybe the original masters have been lost to time
    Maybe the Japanese rights holder doesn't want to allow BD because of reverse importing
    Or simply not a demand

• Well that would be a depressing thought that a original master was lost or destroyed

• Wolf's Rain is one that I just keep hoping will be licensed by someone and reprinted. It's such an amazing show, one of my top 10. I need to have a copy.

• @emdier:

Wolf's Rain is one that I just keep hoping will be licensed by someone and reprinted. It's such an amazing show, one of my top 10. I need to have a copy.

Yeah, I have been waiting for Wolf's Rain to get released too. One of my favorites as well. It would be awesome to get this one on Bluray.

• Japan just announced they are remastering and rereleasing all of Mahoromatic on Blu-ray. I would lie and say now there's a chance here but I seriously doubt it since they also remastered the original Evangelion in a SWEET Blu-ray set that never made it to us.

• @BlueGiza:

Just in general be it Funimation or other distributor does anyone have any ideas why older titles some that were very popular and others that were more obscure never get a remake release on BD

Nice timing: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-05-30/.102654

• I admit I run into this… availability when attempting to buy...

I usually buy DVD rather than Blue Ray so I can use it on a computer. But not being able to buy a title gets a touch annoying. You're going... Dammit take the damn money... I'll pay for it.

I did make another round of buys this time, but they're more modern titles.

Gonna be a Twin Tail
    Familiar of Zero (a shocking $5.00 sale)
    Red Data Girl

Red Data Girl was more about how much she looks and acts like an old girlfriend of mine. Right down to the glasses. I liked the Anime, but really its more nostalgia. Though admittedly I wasn't near the prick to her the way the MC was.