Funimation - dump phunware!

• Okay, funimation please find someone else to make a streaming app for your site. In case you haven't noticed but the app SUCKS BALLS! <br />It's flooded with bugs from the moment you turn it on to the moment you finish a video there are bugs everywhere. <br /><br />In there updates they literally fix nothing. There was a release today 2.7.820 and nothing was fixed. I mean nothing. <br />I payed 10 dollars for an app that is supposed to work, but it doesn't. <br />I am a premium member, but yet there is a bug that doesn't register you as a premium member and you have to watch commercials when you don't have to. <br /><br />Instead of trying to disprove what I am saying Funimation staff, download the IOS app for yourself and give it a shot. <br />Good luck.<br /><br />Guess how many times I had to log in just to try to watch the dub version of Fairy Tail (it still didn't work, sometimes loggin in and out fixes the bug) over 5 times. IT STILL DIDN"T WORK! <br /><br />Not to mention the buffering on your side is horrendous! It's literally the worst streaming service on the internet - that is not a lie either. <br /><br />This isn't a suggestions forum topic, nor help. It's a GET YOUR <redacted by order of the Sherif's Secret Police> TOGETHER TOPIC!

• I know how you feel I have the Android version of the app and its horrible the video only uses less than half the size of the screen the search button never worked it runs slow notifications don't work the screen size issue started with the release of a new android OS on July 23 and has yet to be fixed and Phunwares answer to why its taking so long for a fix is " Due to internal reasons sorry for the inconvenience"

• @bigwalrus23:

I know how you feel I have the Android version of the app and its horrible the video only uses less than half the size of the screen the search button never worked it runs slow notifications don't work the screen size issue started with the release of a new android OS on July 23 and has yet to be fixed and Phunwares answer to why its taking so long for a fix is " Due to internal reasons sorry for the inconvenience"

I actually contacted Apple and was able to get a full refund - the nice thing too is that I still have the app. So now I don't feel scammed and really care to much.
    I wouldn't have cared if the app was free. Those things are to be expected. But when the app is one of the most expensive apps in the store, that's when I have a huge problem.

• Thank you very much for the feedback and for the extra feedback that I asked for in PM. I've sent everything to the folks in charge.

• I urge Funimation to take this suggestion seriously. My opinion of Funimation has plummeted, largely because of actions which trace back to Phunware.

There are two major sources for watching legitimate anime on iPads and iPhones, which is a massive venue (and likely streaming media is Funimations future). Funimation, and Crunchyroll. I have been a subscriber to both since each started. The difference is night and day.

Crunchyroll has almost no down time (I think they were down a day or so a few years back) and is adding content at a massive rate. Their app works like a charm and sees regular updates which never break anything. Compare how the app is rated to Funimations.

This is your company. You don't often get told flat out by paying customers that you are losing to your competition. If you can't identify that there is a problem here and make a 100% effort, then it would probably be best to focus on voice/localization and DVD sales and let Crunchyroll dominate streaming. Because right now sorry but quite frankly you're getting your asses handed to you.

• I wasn't planning on continuing my sub if the app didn't work at full screen. Now that it works I'll keep subbing monthly but I still don't trust the stability of this app(Android).

• This might be helpful to some, it is from the phunware customer service webpage regarding various problems with the app. The topic was originally started by someone who was having problems with iOS7 i-pad access, but the thread quickly turned into a bit of a hotbed for discontent over various issues. As someone who's had tons of problems with the app myself since buying it back around July/August and subscribing to EVS I check the their response quite frequently. The link I mentioned is below, and you'll notice you will find a lot of constructive and not so constructive information as to why some of these problems are being caused, and what the role of an app developer is and the many challenges they face that most people just take for granted.

https://phunware.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/4454690-version-2-5-8-9-posted-11-18-still-doesn-t-work-

Basically, if you read that, and then also the other comments that have been made under their funimation customer service section, you'll find that there are generally 2 or 3 outstanding issues that phunware are unable to do anything about from their end, and are causing many of the problems users are facing.

1.) Funimation content servers not operating correctly, causing various app crashes and loss of content (or so they claim). They say this is out of their hands and they cannot be held responsible if the servers are not working or properly maintained. Phunware deals with the app only, not server-side issues. So in their opinion the blame should be place on funimation for many of the problems occurring. I am certain funimation has their own side of the story no doubt, so would take what they say with a pinch of salt . Personally I'm just happy that funimation even exists at all and that it works as well as it does, I think we all forget how lucky we are to even have a 24/7 source of anime online and on TV also!! I'd hate to go back to the days of Saturday night adult swim night being the only source of reliable dubbed anime that I didn't have to goto the black market to get.

2.) The apple app store has horrendous regulations that impede developers from releasing frequent content updates because they must quality check all submissions before they are released. I was surprised again to learn how stringent and also how unnecessary much of this quality assurance is. It takes them 2 weeks on average just to get even a minor update approved, during which time over last few months you may have noticed apple dropping new iOS updates more frequently than the 2 weeks they would have to get something release anyways. And yes, apparently each time they update iOS the whole thing has to be re-done, and re-submitted for approval once more. This is why the log-in catastrophe took so long to get fixed. Oh, and furthermore if apple do have a query about a proposed update, even if its a minor issue, yup, the whole thing has to go through another standard procedure that takes god knows how long for it to get looked at again. Think of all the apps the app shop manages and you'll get an idea just how crazy the system is for small companies like phunware. So when people write to the apple saying the entire app is worthless and broken and is causing huge amounts of distress and then apple say they will investigate it, really you're only adding even more time onto any kind of thorough update being released. And I don't mean a day or two…. I cant comment on how things work for android mind you, but for apple users, this is actually how things work. Personally I'm switching to android to avoid this nonsense by apple in the future.

3.) Developing an app from the ground up, regardless of how "easy everyone makes it seem" is far more complicated than the average consumer could usually care to imagine. Often times you will get vague answers from the developer because to be honesty they're more concerned about fixing the problems and developing the software than spending hours trying to give programming lessons to customers so they fully understand what's going on. I know it's horrible to have to hear things like "no exact timescales yet, but we hope to have something out in the near future!", it's infuriating, but to hear them say "honestly, there are at least 12 different issues that we're working on, and probably another 10 are likely to be discovered as well and we really don't have a clue when this will be done, due to x.. y... z... and the istore along with the servers the app depends on for its content. " . Lots of times that's just what it comes down to, but of course in this case, they are a business and while you might think you'd appreciate hearing the truth of the matter, I'm sure you can understand it's easier for them to be criticized for having bad customer communication skills, than to have all of their issues picked apart and criticized one by one by some random internet guy who thinks he has a basic understanding of how programming works whipping up angry customers who know even less than him into an even worse fury.

Anyways, hopes that helps some of you, there are a couple of work arounds that you may find from that page also, but only advice I can really give is to be patient and complaining to apple is probably only going to hurt everyone else whose decided to just grin and bare it for the time being. After all, the terms and conditions are quite clear about not being able to guarantee the service will be available at any given time, as well as many other parts that if people actually read would probably understand that in no way are your rights being violated because the app does not work as well as it should. I know it sucks guys, but there just isn't any magic bullet or pill that's going to make it so you can open up the app tomorrow and it's going to be working flawlessly and stable for the rest of its lifespan. :( And I don't know about you guys but I can also watch videos through the site using Safari - it's clunky of course, but the video player is just as good as the one I have in the app anyway, so if you are feeling desperate there is always that at least. :) Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully this information might help alleviate some of the suffering that comes from being in the dark.

• @Matic3D:

I urge Funimation to take this suggestion seriously. My opinion of Funimation has plummeted, largely because of actions which trace back to Phunware.

There are two major sources for watching legitimate anime on iPads and iPhones, which is a massive venue (and likely streaming media is Funimations future). Funimation, and Crunchyroll. I have been a subscriber to both since each started. The difference is night and day.

Crunchyroll has almost no down time (I think they were down a day or so a few years back) and is adding content at a massive rate. Their app works like a charm and sees regular updates which never break anything. Compare how the app is rated to Funimations.

This is your company. You don't often get told flat out by paying customers that you are losing to your competition. If you can't identify that there is a problem here and make a 100% effort, then it would probably be best to focus on voice/localization and DVD sales and let Crunchyroll dominate streaming. Because right now sorry but quite frankly you're getting your asses handed to you.

I agree. Not only that, but if Funimation doesn't get Phunware's act together then Funimation must make a choice. To stay with them and live with constant negative feedback, to completely dump them and stop streaming, or to dump phunware and make a streaming division within Funimation whose sole responsibility is to be dedicated to the Funimation app.

Granted, I don't want to see them completely wash out their app. I want their service because of a few select shows that Funimation only has the license too. But, at this rate I don't see many other options. Either there needs to be a massive update within the next month that DESTROYS 90% of their bugs and major issues, or just completely forget about their app.

The users of the app can't put up with the constant bugs for months on end. Since Phunware only releases a patch once every month it makes the app so irritating and off putting that it just makes me hate Funimation. Even though Funimation isn't really the source of the issue other then the massive BUFFERING issues. The customers can't take their updates being only once a month and only patching ONE thing at a time.

I was talking with a customer rep at Phunware and they seemed to believe that it isn't even their fault and they will get around to it when they want to. They DON'T care about YOUR customers, only that WE purchased the app. And for what? Why did we purchase the app? Was it to much to expect an app to WORK for $10, especially when we see $1 apps work flawlessly? Or is our purchase just to fill licensing issues and it's just a plore to make more money?

From this app, I'm not sure what to believe in since I haven't seen anything get done about it. It's almost as if Funimation is turning a blind eye to their app and letting a sub-par company take full control over it. IT SHOULDN'T BE THAT WAY. Funimation needs to have 100% input to what is to change first, how things look and function.

I think everyone is still waiting for the "next show in series" box so we don't have to scroll 100s of episodes just to get to the next one. That seems reallllly important. Let's add that in the next patch. Wait…..hold on........There's a bug that makes the screen 2 pixals to small lets spend a whole month trying to fix that. That's what they are doing to you Funimation. They are basically man-handling you guys.

• @Solvictis:

This might be helpful to some, it is from the phunware customer service webpage regarding various problems with the app. The topic was originally started by someone who was having problems with iOS7 i-pad access, but the thread quickly turned into a bit of a hotbed for discontent over various issues. As someone who's had tons of problems with the app myself since buying it back around July/August and subscribing to EVS I check the their response quite frequently. The link I mentioned is below, and you'll notice you will find a lot of constructive and not so constructive information as to why some of these problems are being caused, and what the role of an app developer is and the many challenges they face that most people just take for granted.

https://phunware.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/4454690-version-2-5-8-9-posted-11-18-still-doesn-t-work-

Basically, if you read that, and then also the other comments that have been made under their funimation customer service section, you'll find that there are generally 2 or 3 outstanding issues that phunware are unable to do anything about from their end, and are causing many of the problems users are facing.

1.) Funimation content servers not operating correctly, causing various app crashes and loss of content (or so they claim). They say this is out of their hands and they cannot be held responsible if the servers are not working or properly maintained. Phunware deals with the app only, not server-side issues. So in their opinion the blame should be place on funimation for many of the problems occurring. I am certain funimation has their own side of the story no doubt, so would take what they say with a pinch of salt . Personally I'm just happy that funimation even exists at all and that it works as well as it does, I think we all forget how lucky we are to even have a 24/7 source of anime online and on TV also!! I'd hate to go back to the days of Saturday night adult swim night being the only source of reliable dubbed anime that I didn't have to goto the black market to get.

2.) The apple app store has horrendous regulations that impede developers from releasing frequent content updates because they must quality check all submissions before they are released. I was surprised again to learn how stringent and also how unnecessary much of this quality assurance is. It takes them 2 weeks on average just to get even a minor update approved, during which time over last few months you may have noticed apple dropping new iOS updates more frequently than the 2 weeks they would have to get something release anyways. And yes, apparently each time they update iOS the whole thing has to be re-done, and re-submitted for approval once more. This is why the log-in catastrophe took so long to get fixed. Oh, and furthermore if apple do have a query about a proposed update, even if its a minor issue, yup, the whole thing has to go through another standard procedure that takes god knows how long for it to get looked at again. Think of all the apps the app shop manages and you'll get an idea just how crazy the system is for small companies like phunware. So when people write to the apple saying the entire app is worthless and broken and is causing huge amounts of distress and then apple say they will investigate it, really you're only adding even more time onto any kind of thorough update being released. And I don't mean a day or two…. I cant comment on how things work for android mind you, but for apple users, this is actually how things work. Personally I'm switching to android to avoid this nonsense by apple in the future.

3.) Developing an app from the ground up, regardless of how "easy everyone makes it seem" is far more complicated than the average consumer could usually care to imagine. Often times you will get vague answers from the developer because to be honesty they're more concerned about fixing the problems and developing the software than spending hours trying to give programming lessons to customers so they fully understand what's going on. I know it's horrible to have to hear things like "no exact timescales yet, but we hope to have something out in the near future!", it's infuriating, but to hear them say "honestly, there are at least 12 different issues that we're working on, and probably another 10 are likely to be discovered as well and we really don't have a clue when this will be done, due to x.. y... z... and the istore along with the servers the app depends on for its content. " . Lots of times that's just what it comes down to, but of course in this case, they are a business and while you might think you'd appreciate hearing the truth of the matter, I'm sure you can understand it's easier for them to be criticized for having bad customer communication skills, than to have all of their issues picked apart and criticized one by one by some random internet guy who thinks he has a basic understanding of how programming works whipping up angry customers who know even less than him into an even worse fury.

Anyways, hopes that helps some of you, there are a couple of work arounds that you may find from that page also, but only advice I can really give is to be patient and complaining to apple is probably only going to hurt everyone else whose decided to just grin and bare it for the time being. After all, the terms and conditions are quite clear about not being able to guarantee the service will be available at any given time, as well as many other parts that if people actually read would probably understand that in no way are your rights being violated because the app does not work as well as it should. I know it sucks guys, but there just isn't any magic bullet or pill that's going to make it so you can open up the app tomorrow and it's going to be working flawlessly and stable for the rest of its lifespan. :( And I don't know about you guys but I can also watch videos through the site using Safari - it's clunky of course, but the video player is just as good as the one I have in the app anyway, so if you are feeling desperate there is always that at least. :) Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully this information might help alleviate some of the suffering that comes from being in the dark.

See, I don't have a problem waiting for an update as long as things are going to be fixed in the update. But when things aren't fixed that's when it pisses me the hell off.
    The buffer issues are Funimations issues, not Phunwares.
    But for the functionality, reliability and any other bugs in the app are all on Phunware.

AND THEY MUST FIX MORE THEN 1 BUG IN EACH UPDATE. THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS.

• I appreciate the suggestions for workarounds and explanations of the problems, the issues with Apple and updates etc.

But….

When it comes to my stance as a customer, it appears clear to me after years subscribing to both services that Crunchyroll's app consistently works, the Phunware app does not. They are both iOS apps, with similar functionality in the same market space... It's a level playing field, and somehow phunwares app is letting Funimations customers down big time while Crunchyroll manages little to no down time, and as far as I can tell their subscriber base growth is reflecting this difference.

It's not my place to tell Funimation what to do, but if they were my company at this point I'd be asking Phunware to explain to my lawyers why they can't seem to stay operational while my competitors remain up and running without a hitch.

I'm not here to beat up on Funimation, if I didn't like their company I would simply cancel my sub. Hopefully instead they will read this stuff and go "oh crap, we're getting trounced by our competition" and take whatever action they feel is warranted. Myself, I rather like the "dump phunware" suggestion - they are letting Funimation, and by extension Funimations customers, down. And it's a pity, Funimation is an icon to any US anime fan, I'd like to see them set the standard for excellence.

• I also wouldn't mind seeing Phunware voted out. As others have said, even when the app "worked" it didn't work. Their decision to pull support for my phone without warning still perplexes and annoys me (even though the app sorta-works on my phone now I am still barred from any and all updates to the app). As an Android user I do not have a very high opinion of Crunchyroll's app but I understand that the app itself works and that its biggest flaw comes from Crunchyroll itself being a push-over and not from poor app developers (no HD on Android anymore, but HD on iOS).

I'm not sure that I'd consider Crunchy and Funimation to be competing as that's not how I see it (Crunchy offers no dubs, except for that execrable American cartoon they're streaming) but I still support the difference in the apps as a measure of Phunware's lack of competency.

I do think that picking an app developer named "Phunware" was a mistake due to the name similarity: I originally thought that Phunware was related to Funimation.

• @sidereal_presence:

I also wouldn't mind seeing Phunware voted out. As others have said, even when the app "worked" it didn't work. Their decision to pull support for my phone without warning still perplexes and annoys me (even though the app sorta-works on my phone now I am still barred from any and all updates to the app). As an Android user I do not have a very high opinion of Crunchyroll's app but I understand that the app itself works and that its biggest flaw comes from Crunchyroll itself being a push-over and not from poor app developers (no HD on Android anymore, but HD on iOS).

I'm not sure that I'd consider Crunchy and Funimation to be competing as that's not how I see it (Crunchy offers no dubs, except for that execrable American cartoon they're streaming) but I still support the difference in the apps as a measure of Phunware's lack of competency.

I do think that picking an app developer named "Phunware" was a mistake due to the name similarity: I originally thought that Phunware was related to Funimation.

The only thing I still don't understand is why they didn't develop the app themselves. Instead they leased a contract out to a third party developer to handle everything. Where else did we see something eerily similar to this?? Oh yes!! The new Health Care website site!

If you want something done right…. what's that saying...... hmmm? Oh yes I remember now! If you want something done right, do it yourself.

And we see that with the Crunchyroll app, they did it themselves and it works for me without flaw. Unlike the Funimation app who leased it to a third party company I encounter flaws at every corner. Hell, you can't even watch all the videos (I'm told that's a Funimation issue) in a series!

Granted, it's not all Phunware's fault here, a lot of the blame does have to be placed on Funimation. One for hiring a crappy company. Two for not fixing their own server issues. Three, for not man handling Phunware to abide what Funimation says and not by what Phunware says.

This is how I see their relationship: Phunware is the pimp and Funimation is the bi*ch.

• I can confirm for a fact that #2-#3 are both 100% accurate descriptions of the iOS software process. It's worth noting that, whatever else happens with the app, whether we stuck with Phunware, or did the app in house, or got another 3rd party solution, those two things would not change. #2 is a fact of dealing with the Apple Store and #3 is a fact of development (and troubleshooting as well!)

As for #1, I honestly can't speak to that, as I don't have access to the relevant information from either company. With the additional information I do have, I can tell you that things like the show listing not showing up properly are technically FUNimation's fault, in the sense that it IS a server-side issue. However, where the blame lies on why things aren't tested and proven to work with our server prior to pushing to live is something I really can't comment on at all. I have no idea if there's something about the infrastructure that makes it difficult, or if Phunware just doesn't, or what.

There are all kinds of things that go into a decision like the one people in this thread are proposing– not the least of which being that I imagine the coding for the current app is probably proprietary, and if that's the case, there would have to be a MONTHS long development cycle for a new app, and who knows if the current app would even be usable while that happened. It's not like deciding you want a new computer and you go to the store and pick one out and have it the next day-- development from the ground up takes time. It's not a decision of "oh, there are things this company does that aren't ideal", because every company, even in-house, is going to have things that aren't ideal.

What I CAN tell you is that the appropriate people are aware of the issues with the app, and the general community feeling about the app. We're working on getting steps for faster resolution of ongoing issues in place, and we've already seen some success in that area. And, from the Customer Support end, we're working on getting more information out to our awesome fans faster, so you can be aware of what issues are currently happening, as well as what's being done to correct them.

• @CJ:

I can confirm for a fact that #2-#3 are both 100% accurate descriptions of the iOS software process. It's worth noting that, whatever else happens with the app, whether we stuck with Phunware, or did the app in house, or got another 3rd party solution, those two things would not change. #2 is a fact of dealing with the Apple Store and #3 is a fact of development (and troubleshooting as well!)

As for #1, I honestly can't speak to that, as I don't have access to the relevant information from either company. With the additional information I do have, I can tell you that things like the show listing not showing up properly are technically FUNimation's fault, in the sense that it IS a server-side issue. However, where the blame lies on why things aren't tested and proven to work with our server prior to pushing to live is something I really can't comment on at all. I have no idea if there's something about the infrastructure that makes it difficult, or if Phunware just doesn't, or what.

There are all kinds of things that go into a decision like the one people in this thread are proposing– not the least of which being that I imagine the coding for the current app is probably proprietary, and if that's the case, there would have to be a MONTHS long development cycle for a new app, and who knows if the current app would even be usable while that happened. It's not like deciding you want a new computer and you go to the store and pick one out and have it the next day-- development from the ground up takes time. It's not a decision of "oh, there are things this company does that aren't ideal", because every company, even in-house, is going to have things that aren't ideal.

What I CAN tell you is that the appropriate people are aware of the issues with the app, and the general community feeling about the app. We're working on getting steps for faster resolution of ongoing issues in place, and we've already seen some success in that area. And, from the Customer Support end, we're working on getting more information out to our awesome fans faster, so you can be aware of what issues are currently happening, as well as what's being done to correct them.

Umm, that's great and all. But when and will we see a fix for any of this stuff? Can we expect the buffer issues to be fixed? The login issues, and everything else? Like the 25 video limit. Dubbed videos not showing up. How long will all of this take? Another month, 2 months, 3 months, a year?

Can you present to us an gameplan of action in which FUnimation plans to take? These nondescript answers are getting rather annoying and tiresome.

• My post was not intended to address all of the ramifications of our relationship with Phunware, nor to outline our plans moving forward. It was just intended to provide some more transparency to the theories of another user, like yourself.

If you find my previous tl;dr answer to be nondescript, I can say with some degree of certainty that we will never announce our tech support plans and goals in a manner that you find concrete enough. :( All I can do is give as much information as I have, and hope that it brings clarity.

Some of the log-in issues with the app have been resolved. Others are still being worked on.

I am not aware of any major buffering issues with the apps, beyond just that you have to be on wi-fi to view them properly, which is just how the app works (though, admittedly, I have also never had trouble streaming with data-only, we don't guarantee that you'll be able to). The site has some buffering issues that are being worked on.

I have no idea what you're talking about with a 25 video limiter, that's the first I've heard anyone mention it. If you will submit a ticket, I'll be happy to look more into that, but I will not further address it here.

The missing videos on the app are being addressed as a critical issue. I haven't been provided with a timeline, but they're the issue we're looking into the most, currently, now that the screen issues with the Android devices have been solved. In the meantime, these episodes are all available on the website.

• @CJ:

My post was not intended to address all of the ramifications of our relationship with Phunware, nor to outline our plans moving forward. It was just intended to provide some more transparency to the theories of another user, like yourself.

If you find my previous tl;dr answer to be nondescript, I can say with some degree of certainty that we will never announce our tech support plans and goals in a manner that you find concrete enough. :( All I can do is give as much information as I have, and hope that it brings clarity.

Some of the log-in issues with the app have been resolved. Others are still being worked on.

I am not aware of any major buffering issues with the apps, beyond just that you have to be on wi-fi to view them properly, which is just how the app works (though, admittedly, I have also never had trouble streaming with data-only, we don't guarantee that you'll be able to). The site has some buffering issues that are being worked on.

I have no idea what you're talking about with a 25 video limiter, that's the first I've heard anyone mention it. If you will submit a ticket, I'll be happy to look more into that, but I will not further address it here.

The missing videos on the app are being addressed as a critical issue. I haven't been provided with a timeline, but they're the issue we're looking into the most, currently, now that the screen issues with the Android devices have been solved. In the meantime, these episodes are all available on the website.

Well, the app will only show 25 of the videos (not necessarily 1-25) It's 1-25 Dub/sub. It's usually 1-45 when just sub or dub are showing.
    There is no way around this bug either.

• All the negative reviews and posts and the $10 pricetag make me glad I never purchased the app.

• @angrytownsman - as a subscriber, you don't really need to purchase the app, unless you REALLY hate banner ads. There's no new content that you get from the paid app if you already have a subscription, it's basically just an option for people who don't want to be a subscriber, but want more content than the free version offers.

• I still can't get logged in. It still has the old "user name/password", then login not recognized. Not the same as the funimation site "email/password".

I have the latest version from the App Store. It worked before the funimation site "upgrade".

Now I just have a paid for app that sits on my IPad and does nothing.

• If you have not already submitted a ticket, please do so. We do not offer official technical support through the forums, aside from a few, specific cases.

• I and many others have submitted tickets on this. The response is contact phunware. No response from phunware.
    This is not the free app either. So either the change at funimation was too much for phunware to handle or they do not care anymore since we really do not need the app on an iPad.