Summer 2016 Anime: U.S. Licenses/Streaming Rights

• Alright everyone. With Memorials Day upon us mean that the month of May is coming to a close and June is upon us! Summer's a wonderful time for pools, sunshine, ice cream, and even a whole bunch of anime conventions in the mix too! And of course, just like with any other season, come July there will be a fresh new season of anime around the corner! With the last few weeks of the current season of Spring leaning in, it's about time we start preparing, predicting, announcing and anticipating what Summer shows will be coming to a Streaming Platform near you. Last Season was quite the interesting spectacle of announcements, so at this point anything goes. I will leave this main post for updating and adding to any and all future announcements to come.

Here's what I currently have listed that's either been confirmed, or strong assumptions until further notice.

Amazon Prime
    Battery

Crunchyroll
    91 Days
    Active Raid Season 2
    Alderamin of the Sky
    Amanchu
    Ange Vierge
    B-PROJECT
    Bananya
    Berserk
    Hitorinoshita - The Outcast
    Hybrid x Hearts Magias Academy Ataraxia
    Mob Psycho 100
    Naria Girls
    New Game!
    Orange
    OZMAFIA!!
    Qualidea Code
    ReLIFE
    Rewrite
    sweetness and lightning
    Taboo Tattoo
    The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi
    The Morose Mononokean
    This Art Club Has a Problem!

Funimation
    91 Days (DUB)
    Alderamin of the Sky (DUB)
    Cheer Boys!!
    D. Gray Man HALLOW
    Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy
    First Love Monster
    Handa-kun
    Love Live! Sunshine!!
    Mob Psycho 100 (DUB)
    Planetarian
    Puzzle & Dragons X
    Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
    ReLIFE (DUB)
    Sca-red Rider Xechs
    Servamp
    Show By Rock!! Short!!
    Tales of Zestiria the X
    The Distarious Life of Saiki K
    The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance
    Time Travel Girl
    TSUKIUTA. The Animation

Netflix
    The Seven Deadly Sins: Signs of Holy War

Pony Canyon
    Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE!
    DAYS

Sentai Filmworks
    Fate/kalied liner Prisma Illya 3rei!!
    Food Wars! The Second Plate
    Momokuri

And of course as always, feel free to leave your predictions, speculations and requests of what you want or what you think will be licensed by Funimation, Sentai, Crunchyroll or anyone else in the near future.

And as always, here's a list of the current Summer Season chart.

http://anichart.net/summer

https://www.livechart.me/summer-2016/tv

• I'm calling it now: Aniplex nabs Tales of Zestiria despite not even being involved in its production, simply because it's ufotable. Same thing they did with God Eater.

I also think that Funi will lay claim to Mob Psycho 100. They didn't appreciate being beaten to the punch (no pun intended) by Viz over One Punch Man, so I think they'll do their best to nab it if they can. I also think they'll grab 91 Days, probably in a package deal with the Show By Rock shorts, as it looks like it might be good DubbleTalk material.

• I would be so stoked if they got 91 Days. Looks really intriguing to me.

Thanks for putting these up classyspartan. I always find them to be extremely useful.

• Let me list all the anime based on Kadokawa-related media, as all of those are likely going to be streaming exclusively on Crunchyroll due to their agreement this year:

Alderamin on the Sky (Dengeki Bunko imprint of ASCII Media Works)
    Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia (Monthly Comp Ace magazine, published by Kadokawa Shoten)
    Servamp (Monthly Comic Gene magazine, published by Media Factory)
    Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! (Dengeki Maoh magazine, published by ASCII Media Works)
    Ange Vierge (based on a game produced by Fujimi Shobo and Media Factory)

Battery, which is published by Kadokawa Shoten, is excluded from this list because it is being broadcast on the Noitamina block, which Amazon Prime has exclusive streaming rights to. Qualidea Code is an iffy since it's a collaboration between Shueisha, Shogakukan, and two Kadokawa companies; but because A-1 Pictures is animating it, it will likely be licensed by Aniplex.

• @classyspartan:

Alright everyone. With Memorials Day upon us mean that the month of May is coming to a close and June is upon us!

Don't want to sound like trolling… nevertheless classyspartan, you were horribly off on FUNimation title predictions last season (missed a bunch/almost all of them). It would be advisable to wait before making "evaluations" as to "whether FUNimation is slacking off or not", as it were...

...need I link the thread/posts for Spring; whereas everyone (not me) predicted "a disaster for Funimation", but yet here we are still...

Anyways, wanted to get that out there, before people here start posting "how horrible Summer/Funimation is going to be"; B4 we even actually know what they have, nonetheless...

• Amazon
    Battery
    (Probably nothing else unless they sign another exclusive streaming deal)

Aniplex
    Rewrite
    ReLife
    Qualidea Code

Crunchyroll
    91Days
    Active Raid 2
    Alderamin on the Sky
    Amanchu!
    Ange Vierge
    Berserk (2016)
    Days
    Fate/kalied liner Prisma Illya 3rei!f!
    Food Wars:
    Fukigen na Mononokean
    Hatsukoi Monster
    Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
    Love Live! Sunshine!!
    Masou Gakuen HxH
    New Game
    Orange
    Scared Rider XechS
    Servamp
    Sweetness and Lightning
    Taboo Tatoo

Daisuki
    Tales of Zestiria the X

Funimation
    B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious (rather skeptical on this, Aniplex + A1 pictures title. Hmm…)
    Cheer Boys!!
    D.Gray-man Hallow (I'm pretty pessimistic about this one, maybe they'll get this +1 the other half for the first season. A man can dream right?) – Aniplex title, so... probably not. Crunchyroll please be our savior.
    Danganronpa 3
    Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu
    Handa-kun
    Mob Psycho 100 (I agree with Hardy, bets on that they'll spend all their money on this like they did with Academia)
    Show By Rock!! Short!!
    The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance

NIS America
    Love Live! Sunshine!!

Netflix
    The Seven Deadly Sins: Signs of Holy War
    (Netflix will probably end up picking up something else, but no idea what. Kuromukuro for them kinda came outta nowhere)

Pony canyon
    Days
    Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! Season 2

Sentai Filmworks
    Amanchu!
    Fate/kalied liner Prisma Illya 3rei!f!
    Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate
    Fukigen na Mononokean
    Hatsukoi Monster
    Scared Rider XechS

Figured I'd throw a prediction list out for licenses / simulcasts. Ohhhh I sure can't wait to see how wrong I end up being.

• I have a sneaky feeling that D.Gray-Man Hallow will be one of the few titles that will actually go unlicensed this coming season. If a company does license it, I'm not expecting it to be dubbed. Actually, I wouldn't mind if Funimation released this as a sub-only title if they do license it, just to get the word out.

• ^ Why? The first series didn't do too well, but I keep hearing people talk about it now and I might actually watch it even though I had no interest in it before… K fandom is always talking it up because the main couples in K, No. 6 and DGM are similar, supposedly?

If it's Aniplex, that could be good or bad for the dub (if they have one). CA dubs recently have been either really good or really bad, whereas FUNi's are usually somewhere in the middle (with standouts both ways).

91 Days could have serious mainstream potential, particularly since Game of Thrones is (supposedly?) winding down... FUNi (or whoever) needs to position it right.

• I was thinking something… instead of making a list on which service has what... it would be more logical to instead list by animation studio/distribution. Then we can actually figure out who is going to get what (Aniplex titles /byebye); for instance

• @thegrandalliance:

I was thinking something… instead of making a list on which service has what... it would be more logical to instead list by animation studio/distribution. Then we can actually figure out who is going to get what (Aniplex titles /byebye); for instance

You still effectively play the guessing game for titles that aren't Aniplex, or Kadokawa. And even they still seem like a toss-up to who will actually get them.

• I'll try my hand. Considering the scheduling for the relaunch of Funimation's site and console apps currently sit in the middle of the summer season, I expect a decent haul from them this season to give it a proper sendoff.

Funimation (17 + 4 Aniplex of America shows)
    91 Days*
    Amanchu
    D.Gray-Man Hallow
    DAYS*
    Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy*
    Drifters (Presumably a summer show)*
    Endride*
    First Love Monster
    Handa-kun
    Mob Psycho 100*
    One Piece
    Orange*
    Show By Rock! Short!
    Sweetness and Lightning*
    Tales of Zestria: The X
    The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance*

DubbleTalk
    8:00 Orange
    8:30 Mob Psycho 100
    9:00 91 Days

Aniplex of America
    B-Channel
    Qualidea Code
    ReLife
    Rewrite

Sentai Filmworks
    Cheer Boys!!
    Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya 3rei!!!
    Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma: The Second Plate
    Kono Bijutsu-bu niwa Mondai ga Aru!
    The Morose Mononokean

Pony Canyon
    Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! Love!

• @Rejectedshadow:

You still effectively play the guessing game for titles that aren't Aniplex, or Kadokawa. And even they still seem like a toss-up to who will actually get them.

Not exactly, as each studio seems to have a record now. For example: Ones that do work for NBC Universial Japan, for instance are sure locks for FUNimation. It is a case-by-case basis; as a way to filter out reality a bit, nevertheless.

• @thegrandalliance:

Not exactly, as each studio seems to have a record now. For example: Ones that do work for NBC Universial Japan, for instance are sure locks for FUNimation.

Actually, this surprisingly isn't the case.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1113/NBCUniversal_Entertainment

Just for the sake of time, let's assume that the Retail Partnership began around the time when Seraph of the End came along. Wakaba*Girl, Gakkougurashi (School-Live!), Norn9 and Bakuon!! were all produced by NBC Japan and were licensed by Sentai Filmworks instead of Funimation.

As for Aniplex, even THAT'S not quite as surefire a guarantee anymore. For example, last season? There were 4-5 shows where Aniplex were credited producers on. Aniplex of America only licensed two of them, as one was picked up as a Crunchyroll exclusive, while the other was picked up as a Netflix exclusive.

Even this series, the 5 titles with Aniplex's label on them (ReLife, Rewrite, Qualidea Code, B-Project, and D-Gray Man Hallow) may or may NOT go to other licencors if Aniplex isn't the main producer. So yeah, once again, the guessing game isn't quite as accurate as I like it to be, as last season was probably a real eye-opener for. Still, it's always kind of fun for me to speculate, even if I'm completely wrong like I was in the Spring.

As for Funimation, I got a feeling that they're probably going to get a bigger selection this season. Even then, I do realize size isn't everything as the lineup for Spring was a lot better than I anticipated it to be in the beginning. Hell maybe even for this season Funimation could get double the size of this season and most of those shows could suck ass! You never really know, but it's always an interesting experience.

• @classyspartan:

Just for the sake of time, let's assume that the Retail Partnership began around the time

I am assuming it didn't' start until this year. There may have already been titles on the books as to the others.

@classyspartan:

As for Aniplex, even THAT'S not quite as surefire a guarantee anymore.

Aniplex strategy is one that seems to be capped. They have first pick on the draft, and are only have funding (still in the process of scaling up) or otherwise interest at the moment for 3 or so shows (if I did research I probably could come up with more precise number). The "leftovers" they sub out to everyone else.

The same appears true for Kadokawa productions/CR. They won't get everything, but will have first pick otherwise.

Anyways, if you update your OP with the Japan production companies, I probably could give you a more accurate prediction list; in either case.

• @thegrandalliance:

They have first pick on the draft, and are only have funding or otherwise interest at the moment for 3 or so shows (if I did research I probably could come up with more precise number). The "leftovers" they sub out to everyone else.

I'd say that's probably a good way of summing it up actually. They got first dibs when it comes to bidding, but can and have been outbidded by other companies who were willing to ultimately pay more for the U.S. License. So yes, while not every Aniplex show WILL be picked up by AoA, they probably have priority pickings.

• @classyspartan:

So yes, while not every Aniplex show WILL be picked up by AoA, they probably have priority pickings.

Indeed, so if you could also update your OP with manga or otherwise sales figures; you probably could refine the predictions even further.

Now you are qualified to work for the FBI on some random NBC TV drama :)

• hey, Blindspot, that was pretty good

• @thegrandalliance:

Anyways, if you update your OP with the Japan production companies,

Or you could do your own research. ~_^

• @TIL:

Or you could do your own research.

Yea, but I don't got time for that. Plus many of the new stuff isn't even on "Wikipedia" yet…

I got bigger fish to fry at the moment...

• Of the new lineup so far, 91 Days seems the most intriguing. We'll have to see. Summer's going to be pretty busy that's for sure.

• @thegrandalliance:

The same appears true for Kadokawa productions/CR.

You can't really say that because the crunchy/Kadokawa strategy is literally just starting to take affect the summer season and it's already been said on ANN that Crunchyroll is paying for part of production of their anime and they will automatically be getting rights to all future Kadokawa shows. So I predict that we will start seeing more and more of the negative affects (for dub fans) as that deal goes on.