My Hero Academia Broadcast Dub

• I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this, but how is everyone enjoying the My Hero Academia broadcast dub? Being the only show I'm watching for this season, I have my hopes up, and so far it doesn't disappoint (that's Bones for you). For fun, I've also been trying to predict the actors for the bigger characters. I'll go over each character so far:

Izuku: When I first saw him, and heard he was kind of like Naruto, I immediately thought someone like Maxey Whitehead. After properly hearing his voice, I thought it would be Josh Grelle. So I was surprised they chose Justin Briner (who I thought would be in Endride), but he - is - FLAWLESS. Easily my favorite performance yet.

Katsuki: Turns out my predictions can be right sometimes, and I ended up nailing the fact that Clifford Chapin would play Katsuki. He's not as menacing as the Japanese, but I actually feel he's more natural the way Clifford is doing it.

Ochako: Whenever I think of a cute little girl in a Funimation anime, I always think of Alexis Tipton or Bryn Apprill these days. And there was no way I thought it would be her since she lives in Houston, but wonder of wonders, Luci Christian is in a broadcast dub. Enough said.

All Might: I really didn't know who this was going to be. In my heart of hearts, I wanted it to be Patrick Seitz or Travis Willingham, but their status in LA makes that impossible. But Chris Sabat is Chris Sabat, and I love how he seems to make All Might look a tad awkward in his hero form (btw wouldn't be cool if he used his Vegeta voice for his regular form?)

Tenya: With predictions, you can never get them all. However, I've been lucky to get two here thus far. Tenya is the second one, and frankly, who else to play him than the most regal Funimation actor out there, J. Michael Tatum?

Yuga: The moment I heard of the character I thought it would be Todd Haberkorn, but I guess he's too busy with Shonen Maid. I also thought Vic Mignogna, but he has the California problem also. It ended up being Joel McDonald, who I actually never have heard do such a role. However, from the short clip in the latest episode I think he'll be perfect.

Didn't put much thought into most others. I just thought Kamui Woods would be over-the-top, and that's what Aaron Roberts always does. Jamie Marchi as Mount Lady is also typical in the post-Rias world we live in. I also didn't put much thought into Present Mic, but Sonny Strait is always outstanding. Jessica Cavanagh as Izuku's mom is no surprise; she always plays moms these days. Also nice to see Juli Erickson come back to play Recovery Girl. As for staff, I thought the director would be Mike McFarland given it's practically a blockbuster, but Colleen Clinkenbeard is just as talented, no complaints.

I also predict Monica Rial as Tsuyu, Micah Solusod as Shoto, Morgan Garrett as Momo, David Trosko as Eraserhead, Tia Ballard as Toru, Greg Ayres as Minoru, Robert McCollum as Fumikage, and Alexis Tipton as Mina. More incoming.

• I too think this one of the really exceptional broadcast dubs that have been done. I'm not into making predictions, although I have heard about people thinking Monica should voice Tsuyu, and I did think Chris Sabat would end up voicing either All Might or Katsuki; but actually I'm expecting Eric Vale to voice Eraserhead, considering All Might's comment that the two don't get along very well.

• Ahhh, man it was like…

I was about to forget that this wretched show ever existed; after FUNi's nonstop barrage of promotion thereof; and then, meh….....

Thanks again, Gemnist. At least your analysis is fair, I suppose...

• @thegrandalliance:

I was about to forget that this wretched show ever existed;

As for the post in question, I must say Geminist I throughly appreciate seeing another individual have fun trying to predict who will voice who in terms of educated hypothetical guesses. I've got plenty for this show, though a lot of it I hope to keep under wraps for now (working on something for the future) but I must say I appreciate not only that you made predictions but you actually went the extra mile to gather who plays who. I've gathered a couple of these already, but I had previous missed who played Kamui Woods and Izuku's Mother, so I appreciate you keeping me in the loop! Thanks for that.

As for the dub itself, I've been increasingly impressed with Justin Briner kind of coming out of nowhere and in the past year planting his feet as a voice actor. From Seraph's Mika, Heavy Object's Qwenthur, Young Worick from Gangsta, and of course, TGA's personal favorite, Manato from Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. I honestly believe that while he's a good dramatic actor, sometimes it comes off a little stilted for my typical tastes, and I enjoy him more in comedic performances like he gives in Heavy Object. And I feel like Izuku is easily his best so far, being a strong mix of both as well as exhibiting some powerful emotions and tough yelling.

Sabat's another expected safe choice, but I personally believe that this is probably one of his stronger roles in recent memory. At the end of the day I felt like his recent big Broadcast Role as Kyoma was one of his weakest performances as it felt too typical and kind of safe and stilted. As for All Might though, it's a large variety of his normal range, his eccentric Alex Louis Armstrong charisma and eccentricity, as well as sounding really tired and worn out at various intervals as "All Wimp"

Clifford Chapin also does a phenomenal job, pretty much doing a great job making Bakugo sound like a giant angry dick but he really sells it with his performances too! Luci Christian's a surprise for this dub as I hadn't heard her in any Broadcast Dubs of late, and she sounds great. J. Tatum as Ida's pretty typical and great, and Aoyama as Joel is a great choice.

Only flaw with the dub is a couple of weird script lines that aren't too offensive but come off as a tad odd. Outside of that, I honestly feel like My Hero is shaping up to be a really strong dub!

I cannot wait to hear who's playing who in the ensemble cast, especially Tsuyu and Mina.

• Brittany Karbowski is likely to be Mina and either Monica Rial , Tabitha Ray, or Ashley Burch would be Tsuyu . i also predict that Colleen Clinkenbeard would be Yoyoritzu, Austin Tindle as Kirishima , Micah Solusad as Shoto , and Matthew Mercer as Eraserhead .

• Eric Vale as Eraserhead… Not a bad choice. Then we can have Sean Schemmel voice Endeavor if he's ever in the anime - it would be a reference to Armstrong, Zoro, and Vegeta all at once!

Yeah... I'm going to let Spartan use Shinoa to beat up TGA for not liking this show. Moving on, thanks! I actually didn't do much research; I just happen to know a lot of the Funimation actors' roles/typecastings. If you ever miss an announcement, they always update it on Wikipedia and ANN (a few of you guys are on there right?). Also which episode is the gif of Ochako, Mina, and Tsuyu from?

Brittney as Mina would be nice (if she's not too busy in Houston), and Tabitha would also be epic if she's not too busy with Three Leaves. I actually forgot to mention that I predict Austin will play Kirishima, so thanks! Colleen as Momo wouldn't be bad, but since she's the ADR director I don't think she'll have a role, as she typically doesn't for her dubs unlike Mike McFarland (except Brothers Conflict). And while Matthew would be perfect, he probably has the California problem, especially since he's now playing Leorio.

• @Gemnist:

Yeah… I'm going to let Spartan use Shinoa to beat up TGA for not liking this show

OOOooooOOoo, please do. It would feel soooooooo good <3

• LOL. Well, opinions are opinions.

• @classyspartan:

As for the dub itself, I've been increasingly impressed with Justin Briner kind of coming out of nowhere and in the past year planting his feet as a voice actor.

Kinda reminds me of Clifford Chapin basically coming with a few bit parts, then was everywhere, even directing some series. (has amusing commentaries as well)

@classyspartan:

Sabat's another expected safe choice, but I personally believe that this is probably one of his stronger roles in recent memory.

Well, aside from Vegeta, it really IS one of the strongest characters he has voiced. You could say he really MUSCLED his way into the role. His performance has quite the PUNCH. Even his performance as the weakened version was not DEFLATED.

• @Gemnist:

Also which episode is the gif of Ochako, Mina, and Tsuyu from?

That scene's from the end of episode 8, the most recent subbed one.

• @Unicron:

You could say he really MUSCLED his way into the role. His performance has quite the PUNCH. Even his performance as the weakened version was not DEFLATED.

I liked that he added a small slice of ham to his hero.

• I do have to admit I am liking the show more now with these last 2 episodes. I still am not getting the "feels" everybody else is claiming to be getting but the story feels better. Although, maybe it is because I'm a Batman fan but I was really hoping for Deku to stay unpowered. I'd love to see somebody become a Batman in his universe.

• All right, tonight's dubbed episode we get to hear Shota Aizawa (Eraser Head) and six more of the students. Most of the students' voices only get one or two lines this episode though. Anyway, the six students are, in order of appearance:

Denki Kaminari
    Mina Ashido
    Hanta Sero
    Tsuyu Asui
    Eijiro Kirishima
    Minoru Mineta

Tsuyu's line this episode is just a single "Ribbit," and Eijiro's is a thought-speak line; Hanta has the most lines of the six. I've already mentioned who I believe should voice Aizawa; and after watching the subs to the current point, I actually believe Monica Rial would be more suited to voice Mina than Tsuyu. Looking to hear who you believe should voice these students.

• Well I've just seen the episode. I'm not ENTIRELY good at recognizing voices unless the voice is THAT distinctive, but here are who I think voiced the aforementioned characters (I couldn't do Tsuyu or Kirishima because they technically had only a ribbit and "heh" respectively):

Eraserhead - Garret Storms
    Mina - Alexis Tipton
    Denki - Austin Tindle
    Hanta - Ian Sinclair?
    Minoru - Lindsay Seidal or Maxey Whitehead

• The voice actors of the characters that I mentioned were just announced on tonight's Dubbletalk. I was WAY OFF on Aizawa, and the guys who thought Monica would voice Tsuyu were right.

Shota Aizawa - Alex Organ
    Denki Kaminari - Kyle Phillips
    Mina Ashido - Caitlin Glass
    Hanta Sero - Christopher Bevins
    Tsuyu Asui - Monica Rial
    Eijiro Kirishima - Justin Cook
    Minoru Mineta - Brina Palencia

• Let's see here:

Shota: Thanks to Death Parade, everybody loves Alex Organ. Hope this gets him more roles in the future.
    Denki: I… know nothing about Kyle Phillips.
    Mina: Yay, Caitlin! Great in everything she does!
    Hanta: I'll admit, as far as acting goes I only know Chris from Terror in Resonance. Hangs seems like the opposite of Nine though, so we'll have to see where this goes.
    Tsuyu: Once again, only one correct prediction. Then again, we all knew it was Monica.
    Kirishima: I think as of right now, Justin Cook's only truly memorable role was Yusuke; he's been behind-the -scenes for AGES. Good to see him here.
    Minoru: It's freaking Brina Palencia. My favorite female VA. Who at this point I'm convinced can pull of any role.

• i have not seen the episode yet but i admit these casting choices weren't what i expected. here's what my original casting choices were :

Matthew Mercer-Shota

Austin Tindle-Kirishima

Brittany Karbowski-Mina

• Okay, new dub episode tomorrow! I don't know every new voice that's going to be in the episode, but I can say confidently that they are all students. Here are who I know and predict:

Momo: Either Morgan Garrett or Whitney Rodgers
    Shoto: Micah Solusod

I'm sure I missed a few; let me know.

• Based on the ending credits, there are three students who have their first speaking lines in tonight's episode:

Momo Yaoyorozu
    Kyoka Jiro
    Mashirao Ojiro

I believe Shoto Todoroki has his first speaking line in next week's dubbed episode.

• Oh right, I think his is him commenting on Izuku vs Katsuki - my bad. I'm going with Jad Saxton for Kyoka and Austin Tindle for Mashirao.

• Here are the voice actors for the three students in tonight's episode.

Momo Yaoyorozu - Colleen Clinkenbeard
    Kyoka Jiro - Trina Nishimura
    Mashirao Ojiro - Mike McFarland

No Dubbletalk next week since Chad and Justin will be at E3. Dang!