Question

• Does Funimation get just home video rights for shows anymore or has it come to the point where if they don't get streaming rights to something when it first comes out we're SOL.

• …...........Answer:

@The:

• ^No to them getting home video rights for shows? Or no to if they don't get streaming rights we are SOL?

• I'd say when it comes to licensing shows, typically they try to go for both Streaming/Home Video, but due to Simulcasts and such I would imagine that if they are unable to work out Home Video Rights, then they will just get Streaming and see if they can work those things out later down the road.

Though i will say this: If a show is confirmed for a Broadcast Dub, then that already guarantees it a physical Home Video release. That's about as much information as I can offer you right now.

Shows currently streaming Sub-Only do still have a chance for Home Video Rights though, that probably more or less just means that the actual rights are still being worked on.

• @seikopath:

Does Funimation get just home video rights for shows anymore or has it come to the point where if they don't get streaming rights to something when it first comes out we're SOL.

They still pick up home video releases for old shows, but they also try their best to get streaming rights to them as well. They also don't always get streaming rights to movies at all. The Mamoru Hosada movies are proof of that.

In this day and age, it really doesn't make sense to get home video rights before streaming rights, unless the show is a guaranteed hit or it's part of the licensing deal. The show could very well turn out to be a complete dud, so they use streaming as a means to judge if it's worth a home video release or not.