So at what point do you realize you are a nerd?

• I can't quite decide when it was that I accepted that I am indeed a nerd. Probably ten years ago when people started calling me one… in sixth grade (ten years ago). Or when I started to be really into online gaming 7 years ago... Or started collecting star wars books 5 years ago... Or maybe I locked it in when I started watching animu 1.5 years ago. And if math is too hard for you I'm 21.

Obviously we all have different standards, so how about you? xP

• I've always been a nerd as far as I remember but I realised it while I was studying IT about 10-12 years ago. My friends used to call me "the hermit" because I was always in my basement coding or installing Linux distros and I never wanted to go out with them.

It's pretty much the same thing now but I put IT aside and concentrate more on my artistic/creative side but I still spend most of my time alone in front of the computer.

• I… don't really think of it either way... tbh, whether someone thinks of "nerd" as an insult or a badge of pride, I think caring either way is silly. Also, people who think of "nerd" as an insult would probably think I'm one (because I like some anime, history, classical music), but people who think of it as a badge of pride would probably not think I have enough "nerd cred" (I actually like very few anime, I'm not super into history or classical music, I don't nitpick over accuracy in movies, I don't like Lord of the Rings or Star Trek, I don't go to cons anymore, etc.) Even back when I was really into anime, I lacked "nerd cred" because I didn't watch subs, or play video games, or like other nerd things besides anime. (I only started watching anime in Japanese when I could understand it enough to barely need the subs ^_^;)

So basically... it doesn't matter much to me.

• Well… like... everyone is a nerd when it comes to something because you are such a hardcore fan for it, like with me and Star Wars, Hyperdimension Neptunia, or High School DxD. You don't need to be a history buff, or like Star Trek or Lord of the Rings as a right-of-passage, because I didn't watch any of those classics (if they got reboots I would watch).

Like if you are a huge sports-nut you are a nerd :p

• This is kind of a loaded question… There are so many moments.....

Was it when I was waking up at 7am on Saturdays to watch Yu-Gi-Oh?

Was it when I became obsessed with Pokemon in grade school?

Was it when was determined to get an S rank on every level in Sonic Adventure 2? (And i did!)

Was it when I spent hundreds-thousands of dollars on collecting things....multiple times over?

Was it when I decided to embrace it Highschool and started World of Warcraft and called in sick to school so I could play the Burning Crusade Expac?

Lets go with that one!

Either way, doesn't matter. I am a nerd/geek/dork and I would not have it any other way. I feel like I am having more fun that I otherwise would be and have full excuse to have unrestrained excitement about things!

• @priestesstyrande:

This is kind of a loaded question… There are so many moments.....

I know right? Like whenever I buy/preorder a new blu-ray or of a new animu figure I will undoubtedly think "I am such a nerd."

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have it any other way. I am proud to be a fan of whatever it is I am applying it to. Its just one of those things where popular media has this idea ingrained in us that being a nerd is a bad thing, which I know is a sentiment that many people hold. That's what i'm saying.

• The very concept of "nerd" is not based upon emperical scientific observation, and thus is an illusion. In other words, one person's "nerd" is another person's "normee"; there is no experimental test to define "nerdiness", as it were.

Is someone a "nerd" for liking fashion? Clothing? Music? By most conventional social standards, these descriptions would be considered "normal-behavior" for the female population. Yet, one could claim that, given the attention to detail, that "nerd-tendencies" develop in the practice (getting "obsessed" with fashion; or otherwise). Thus, worrying about "whether you are a nerd or not" is only a theoretical discussion on human illusions, and nothing more. The universe; the principles of physics, do not care whether another "lifeform" thinks of you "as a nerd", or otherwise.

• ^ Nerd.

…jk ;P

• @thegrandalliance:

The very concept of "nerd" is not based upon emperical scientific observation, and thus is an illusion. In other words, one person's "nerd" is another person's "normee"; there is no experimental test to define "nerdiness", as it were.

Is someone a "nerd" for liking fashion? Clothing? Music? By most conventional social standards, these descriptions would be considered "normal-behavior" for the female population. Yet, one could claim that, given the attention to detail, that "nerd-tendencies" develop in the practice (getting "obsessed" with fashion; or otherwise). Thus, worrying about "whether you are a nerd or not" is only a theoretical discussion on human illusions, and nothing more. The universe; the principles of physics, do not care whether another "lifeform" thinks of you "as a nerd", or otherwise.

Way to ruin the fun of my thread you nerd.

• @Haildodger:

^ Nerd.

@darthrutsula:

Way to ruin the fun of my thread you nerd.

• In reality, I still don't accept that I have ever been a nerd. I have referred to myself as geek, but that's about it. Socially, I've always been fine.

I suppose in hindsight, I would say it was obvious I had nerdy inclinations back when I spent countless hours on our Vic 20 as a kid. No one else in my family could understand my fascination with it. :B

More recently, my brothers wife came over to visit while I was re-watching Knights of Sidonia, and commented on the fact that I'm 40, and still watch cartoons. …I lawled and commented on her level of ignorance. After all, if I was reading a book with a similar story line she would not have commented. -- ...The funny part to me is she's 22. ...Way too young to be that narrow minded. ~^

• @Haildodger:

The funny part to me is she's 22. …Way too young to be that narrow minded.

There's no age to be narrow minded, in my case I was really narrow minded when I was young but now that I'm more mature I'm opening it little by little.