Preacher

• Did anyone catch the premiere of AMC's new show Preacher? It is based on the graphic novel of the same name by Garth Ennis. It was a really insane pilot episode I have to say. lol I liked it a lot though. Excited to see where it goes.

• Uhm, yes I saw the commercial for it…..............

• @thegrandalliance:

yes I saw the commercial for it

Same here, didn't know it was a thing. Might be fun.

• @TIL:

Might be fun.

By "Fun", you mean of course gut wrenchingly boring; cliché human drama nonsense…

• @thegrandalliance:

By "Fun", you mean of course gut wrenchingly boring; cliché human drama nonsense…

That's not true at all. It's a show about Supernatural entities and a God whose abandoned his creations.

Boring is exactly what Preacher isn't. It contains some of the most shocking moments in any medium. Bon a critically acclaimed graphic novel, it is considered one of the best of all time. Not to mention it is on AMC, one of the best networks on TV. You should at least give it a try before making a decision one way or the other.

I've read a lot of Garth Ennis' work, so I can attest to it being amazing.

• @nubguy:

That's not true at all. It's a show about Supernatural entities and a God whose abandoned his creations.

Ahhh, so like everything likewise on SyFy channel? Or, perhaps you are gonna lecture me on the merits of "Walking Dead" (another AMC show)?

'tsk 'tsk… 'tis be the reason one watches Anime in the first place; to get away from such American nonsense. Alas, if it floats your boat, I suppose...

/condescension

EDIT: BTW nub, make sure to backup your DAGASHI thread posts on your computer: I made a comment about this on the thread. You don't' want it to be all lost if/when the Funimation forums are changed; or otherwise...

• Not at all. You've never seen anything like Preacher. Well, yeah Walking Dead is amazing. Some of the best writing on TV. Certainly better than any anime showing this season. I am surprised you're giving shows like that a hard time when most of what is on American TV is reality shows or police procedurals.

Next you're going to say you don't like Game of Thrones (blasphemy!)

I love anime, but I don't see the need to limit myself to one medium.

• @nubguy:

Not at all. You've never seen anything like Preacher. Well, yeah Walking Dead is amazing.

This is the logic I use against this show of yours. If you think "Walking Dead" is good, you are likely to like this "Preacher". The converse is thusly true. The logic is the same, basically.

"Walking Dead" is based upon horrible premise to begin with (zombies) with further horrible premise of "talking zombies" or whatever (to sum it up very shortly). So many logic errors…

@nubguy:

Certainly better than any anime showing this season.

Uhm, Three Leaves/Colors==far better writing, then AMC "trash"…

Anyways, not everything on American TV is bad. Just like 95% of it. :)

Game on Thrones... yes acceptable; the sex stuff is too much, but otherwise acceptable. And I do watch another premium show on STARZ, "Black Sails". Also did watch something on SHOWTIME for first time; "Billions", however you have to have appreciation for Wall Street stuff for that to make sense.

In terms of broadcast TV... I do watch the Marvel stuff ("Agents of Shield"). Else, everything else on broadcast I only find myself hating in the end ("Blacklist", "Blindspot", "X-files (reset)", "Minority Report").

Of course, on History Channel, there is always "Vikings". And "Mountain Men"; like the cinematography on that one...

Indeed, Anime is >USA; as a general observation therefore.

https://youtu.be/1qA_mSU6sQk

• I don't think that's fair. Preacher is so different from TWD, you can't really compare the two. Having read the graphic novel for Preacher, I can honestly say it's unlike anything I've ever seen.

There are no talking zombies, so I'm not sure about that. But, considering Walking Dead is literally the most watched TV show of all time, most people would tend to disagree with you on that one. The Walking Dead is a whole lot more than just zombies, or it wouldn't be so popular. The stories and the characters set within the world are really thought provoking and meaningful. I have seen some of the most profound moments during the Walking Dead.

I will agree with you on that one though lol :)

Game of Thrones is my favorite show. It is so awesome! I watched Black Sails for a bit but haven't kept up with it. As for broadcast stuff, Limitless was actually pretty good.

See it's not all bad TGA! lol

• Feel like I always need this little gem on standby every couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

• @classyspartan:

Feel like I always need this little gem on standby every couple of weeks.

Well, unless that "thing" you don't like is "Emancipation". Or "Freedom"…

Such an unqualified statement, classy. It is best if you keep that YouTube video of your in a more "permanent retirement", as it were...

@nubguy:

But, considering Walking Dead is literally the most watched TV show of all time,

Uhm…................. says the production staff? I have never heard this one before. Or, are you talking about "cable TV", which is of course, far smaller market then Premium or Broadcast:

@Wikipedia:

The Walking Dead has the highest total viewership of any series in cable television history, including its third through (current) sixth seasons, during which it averaged the most 18- to 49-year-old viewers of all cable or broadcast television shows.[9][10][11] Total viewership for its season five premiere was 17.3 million, the most-watched series episode in cable history.

PREEETy sure Game of Thrones, for one is far higher. Or old stuff, like "Law/Order" and the like. In either case; the useless opinions of Americans are irrelevant to this discussion. That, of course is another debate at hand.

@nubguy:

The Walking Dead is a whole lot more than just zombies, or it wouldn't be so popular.

Uhm, the problem lies in the premise; what it is all about. First of all, as I see it (without a long explanation as to why): Any Earth-based story that uses a "Zombie Apocalypse" as its premise is /disqualified. Without going into the obvious logical and dramatic errors, lets just say "Twilight" is more plausible then anything zombie-related therefore.

Worse, this show has like, what I called "talking zombies", or otherwise some sort of "degree of zombification" or something. The story is based upon, (like all zombie situations) a sequence of convenient and self-justifying "plot devices" that lead one situation into another ("Why can't they just do x?" "Because the writers wanted it to be dramatic, that's why.") And, contrary to popular belief; if all of the characters in that show "died", I would be happy.

I mean, anything that uses zombies is a lost cause… you cannot win with that. Might as well be watching "Resident Evil"... far more watchable then this AMC show, nevertheless.

In any case, if you think AMC is "a watchable network" (and that extends to other shows such as "Madmen"; "Breaking Bad"), well let us simply agree to disagree on the matter henseforth.

@nubguy:

See it's not all bad TGA! lol

No, but like I said… like 95%+, depending on statistical classification thereof.

• Plausibility is not the goal of a zombie show, nor is it of any show in the fantasy genre. You have to suspend your disbelief. You wouldn't complain about vampires in Seraph of the End or call it implausible, because that is just the world the show exists in. I'm going to just have to agree to disagree with you on this one I guess. Resident Evil movies are pretty terrible, especially compared to the TWD. No substance. The Walking Dead uses zombies to tell amazing, deep and complex stories about people.

Also, here is a link to a Forbes article about it being the number one cable show. Game of Thrones usually pulls around the same numbers, but isn't on cable.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2014/10/13/the-walking-dead-season-5-premiere-breaks-ratings-record-as-the-most-watched-cable-show-of-all-time/#73394d4572b8

• @nubguy:

Plausibility is not the goal of a zombie show, nor is it of any show in the fantasy genre.

That is not what I am talking about: I am talking about the logic thereof not being self-sustaining. Zombies don't' make sense; how they get there don't make sense. How "they" react to zombies doesn't make sense. The entire plotline is, "retarded" to use the short form answer.

Whereas, for instance in theory, Vampires "make sense". Zombies, on the otherhand make 0 sense. If you need me to expand that explanation, I can do so, nevertheless anything that starts with the idea of "zombies", is lights out as far as I see it.

@nubguy:

Resident Evil movies are pretty terrible, especially compared to the TWD.

If the zombie concept was to be believed (lets just say for sake of argument); "RE" makes 1000x more plausible, and watchable, then "I FELL SORRY FOR THE ZOMBIES" premise that is "TWD".

@nubguy:

No substance.

There is not supposed to be substance with zombies. The very idea itself is substance-less.

@nubguy:

I'm going to just have to agree to disagree with you on this one I guess.

Indeed, or otherwise this thread is gonna devolve into a "Nerd War", as it were…

• While I won't really say anything about whatever is on AMC, the only live-action show that I've actively been keeping up with is Veep. Hilarious. And I think what TGA is trying to say about Walking Dead is that it's an old cliched premise, zombie apocalypse, and that for some (like TGA) zombies alone ruin a show for them. Because either we are hipsters or we just don't like zombies. I just don't like zombies in general, but I would be satisfied with a twist on the zombies, like titans from AoT. They are pretty much zombies but they are not zombies. Get what I'm saying?

• @darthrutsula:

And I think what TGA is trying to say about Walking Dead is that it's an old cliched premise, zombie apocalypse, and that for some (like TGA) zombies alone ruin a show for them. Because either we are hipsters or we just don't like zombies. I just don't like zombies in general, but I would be satisfied with a twist on the zombies, like titans from AoT. They are pretty much zombies but they are not zombies. Get what I'm saying?

YEA! WAY TO GO, NEP-NEP!

…..AAAANywyas. I got to get on the road. Delta Airlines Flight 33 is about to land. To be continued...

• @thegrandalliance:

YEA! WAY TO GO, NEP-NEP!

I gotchu bae.

By the way I would totally recommend Veep to you, you would probably enjoy it as much as I do. Basing this off of the fact that you somehow (and for some reason) integrate politics into a lot of your posts.

• That is why Walking Dead is so good, because it is a new fresh take on an old cliché. That is kind of the point.

I just think you are limiting yourself. I like to have a more open mind than that. The fact that TGA is boiling down the premise to a few sentences without having really seen the show at all only proves my point.

I disagree with you when you say it shouldn't have substance. The whole reason The Walking Dead is so popular is because it actually has depth and character to it, something that has been absent from the zombie genre up until now. Through zombies, they tell stories about true human emotions.

Also, I would just like to point out that zombies are no more or less plausible than vampires, werewolves, or demons, etc. Plausibility, or how people react, is not the point. The importance is in what they represent.

Also, a form of zombies already exist in the real world. There are zombie ants for example: (http://www.wired.com/2013/09/absurd-creature-of-the-week-zombie-ant-fungus/).

• @darthrutsula:

By the way I would totally recommend Veep to you

I looked into it… too much "girlyness" in a political context. Call me "sexist" if you must... nevertheless, the "girl drama" around the VP in that is wholly unplausible, and quite simply annoying.

"House of Cards"... maybe, but I don't use Netflix, so...

@nubguy:

The Walking Dead is so popular is because it actually has depth and character to it,

IDK what people are talking about. I tried watching a bit of this show, and I could care less about the characters. There is nothing attractive; nor "appealing" to them. Maybe I have problems, but IDK what the interest is here therefore…

@nubguy:

Also, I would just like to point out that zombies are no more or less plausible than vampires, werewolves, or demons, etc. Plausibility, or how people react, is not the point. The importance is in what they represent.

Technically, no. Vampires, and maybe even WW (a stretch, perhaps) is more likely. Like 1.0 10x-1000000000000000000000000 more likely. The point is, the idea of a "zombie virus" doesn't make sense; how people react in most of these films don't seem logical, and the end result is "who cares?". Apparently all the 1000s of nukes were "disabled" in "TWD" show, because oh damn we can't use nukes or we wont' have a TV show. Doesn't take very many to nuclear winter the planet BTW.

I mean, we can go through the technicalities of this show; but zombie viruses don't make sense and the "Hollywood" reaction to such doesn't make logical sense either. Anyways, i will not belabor the point further.

@nubguy:

Next you'll be saying Breaking Bad was a terrible show

Read above posts^^^^^ Been there, done that.

Granted, it isn't so horrible… but the story is too predictable. A dude who makes drugs; you "feel sorry" for whatever messed up life, and he dies in the end. I didn't see that one coming, no way no how.

That show will appeal to some people, but I could care less about some "drug maker" and his "misguided" existence, as it were. You knew it was gonna end badly, and the show/character is not persuadable enough "to care". Maybe if you have "empathy" (which apparently I do not) you may care. However, he makes drugs; drugs kill people, so he is bad guy clear and simple. No need to feel "sorry".

Not nearly as bad as "TWD". Still, as far as I am concerned, "unwatchable". Just like everything else on AMC.

• @thegrandalliance:

IDK what people are talking about. I tried watching a bit of this show, and I could care less about the characters. There is nothing attractive; nor "appealing" to them. Maybe I have problems, but IDK what the interest is here therefore…

It depends if you started watching with the first season. The first season is kind of mediocre, but after that they got a new show runner and each season after that has been better than the one before it.

@thegrandalliance:

Technically, no. Vampires, and maybe even WW (a stretch, perhaps) is more likely. Like 1.0 10x-1000000000000000000000000 more likely. The point is, the idea of a "zombie virus" doesn't make sense; how people react in most of these films don't seem logical, and the end result is "who cares?". Apparently all the 1000s of nukes were "disabled" in "TWD" show, because oh damn we can't use nukes or we wont' have a TV show. Doesn't take very many to nuclear winter the planet BTW.

I mean, we can go through the technicalities of this show; but zombie viruses don't make sense and the "Hollywood" reaction to such doesn't make logical sense either. Anyways, i will not belabor the point further.

Considering I just linked an article about real life zombies, I would say that is not the case. Also, if the government is even still around, which we have no idea, they wouldn't just nuke everyone, there would be no one left to run the country. You can't fight zombies with nukes and expect to survive. Anyways, I just completely disagree with you on this one. lol Sorry TGA

Read above posts^^^^^ Been there, done that.

Granted, it isn't so horrible… but the story is too predictable. A dude who makes drugs; you "feel sorry" for whatever messed up life, and he dies in the end. I didn't see that one coming, no way no how.

That show will appeal to some people, but I could care less about some "drug maker" and his "misguided" existence, as it were. You knew it was gonna end badly, and the show/character is not persuadable enough "to care". Maybe if you have "empathy" (which apparently I do not) you may care. However, he makes drugs; drugs kill people, so he is bad guy clear and simple. No need to feel "sorry".

Not nearly as bad as "TWD". Still, as far as I am concerned, "unwatchable". Just like everything else on AMC

So two of the most widely acclaimed shows and you say they are "unwatchable." lol I think I see where this is going…

No offense, but you clearly didn't watch the show. Breaking Bad is about the transformation of a good man into an evil man, and by the end of it, you most certainly are not supposed to feel bad for him. That show is much more complex than simply saying it is about a guy making drugs. Also, there is literally nothing predictable about Breaking Bad. That show has the most amazing plot twists and turns.

Tell me at least your a fan of Firefly?

• @nubguy:

Also, there is literally nothing predictable about Breaking Bad. That show has the most amazing plot twists and turns.

Mates, the whole show is premised on drugs… did you not see the Br Ba in the Breaking Bad? Chemical references. The "Details" of who happens to what character; yes you may not see all the actions. But the "metastory" is wholly predictable. Its the entirety of the premise: Dude who is famous for making drugs; dies. Is the ride along the way "interesting"? Only if you are into that sort of thing. But don't' lie to yourself, and think that this show was gonna end up differently or unexpectedly then it did.

How he gets there, what ends up to him... "details". The point is that, it is a show about a drug dude, and you know that something will happen to him, because holy **** that is the name of the show. Entirely predictable, as it were.

Plus, AMC show's have lots of technicalities that I haven't talked about yet that make them problematic. They always have way too low light levels in the shots (always "dark" appearance), and some of the cinematography reminds me of 1980s or so movies. So many problems...

EDIT: BTW read the previous post. I did add some context in there after you responded.

• @thegrandalliance:

I looked into it… too much "girlyness" in a political context. Call me "sexist" if you must... nevertheless the "girl drama" around the VP in that is wholly unplausible, and quite simply annoying.

That is not what its about though. Its political satire! And I don't know how you get unplausible considering the two nominees for the presidency. It is pretty much how you imagine what the behind the scenes are for politics. I never thought it was humanly possible to string a lot of the profanity that they manage to do. And also to be SO VERY insulting to anyone (rip Jonah Ryan). Seriously it is such a funny show, anime can't compete.

Breaking bad didn't have a surprising ending. I mean in the first episode you are practically told that Walter was going to die at some point, he had a terminal cancer. And when it was airing, it was actually a more watched show than Walking Dead, just the Walking Dead fans were way more vocal.