Season 1 Questions

• High School DxD

(January 6 - March 23, 2012; 12 episodes)

Cast

Issei Hyodo: Yuki Kaji/Scott Freeman
    Rias Gremory: Yoko Hikasa/Jamie Marchi
    Asia Argento: Azumi Asakura/Chloe Daniels
    Akeno Himejima: Shizuka Ito/Teri Rogers
    Koneko Toujou: Ayana Taketatsu/Jād Saxton
    Yuto Kiba: Kenji Nojima/Sean O'Connor
    Ddraig: Fumihiko Tachiki/Christopher R. Sabat
    Yuma Amano/Raynare: Hitomi Nabatame/Felecia Angelle
    Riser Phoenix: Takehito Koyasu/Christopher Corey Smith

Questions

What did you think of the season"s premise?
    What did you think of the Occult Research Club?
    What did you think of the Opening Theme?
    What did you think of the Ending Theme?
    What did you think of the Student Council, and Mr. and Mrs. Hyodo?
    Who was your favorite Occult Research Club character from the beginning?
    What did you think of Yuma/Raynare?
    What did you think of Issei"s first date, and the reveal of Yuma/Raynare as a Fallen Angel?
    What did you think of the death and resurrection of Issei, and the revelation that Rias is his new master?
    What did you think of Issei joining the Occult Research Club?
    What did you think of the concepts of chess, and the Fallen Angels, the Angels and the Devils?
    What did you think of Issei achieving his Sacred Gear, Issei announcing his dream to become a Harem King, and Ddraig?
    What did you think of the revelation that Asia was a former nun of the Catholic Church?
    What did you think of Dohnaseek, Karawarner and Mittelt?
    What did you think of Raynare stealing Asia"s Sacred Gear, the death of Raynare, and Asia joining the Occult Research Club?
    What did you think of Issei and Asia"s training with Rias, Asia living together with Issei, and Issei forming a pact with Susan?
    What did you think of the Occult Research Club finding a familiar, and Rassei?
    What did you think of new villain Riser and his all-female team, Sir Zechs, and Grayfia?
    What did you think of Rias"s engagement to Riser, and Rias and Riser organizing a Rating Game between them?
    What did you think of Rias"s team preparing for the Rating Game?
    What did you think of the Rating Game between the Rias"s team and Riser"s team, and Dress Break?
    What did you think of Rias losing to Riser?
    What did you think of the season finale?
    What did you think of the unreleased OVAs (episode 13 and 14)?
    What did you think of the six animated shorts?
    Do you have any regrets on what the first season DIDN"T do?
    Final thoughts on the season? Would you recommend it to anyone? Why or why not?

Summary

High School DxD is the first season of the anime adaptation of the light novel series created by Ichiei Ishibumi. Adapting from the first four light novel volumes, the series became a sleeper hit during the Winter 2012 season. TNK hired Tetsuya Yanagisawa to direct the series, and Takao Yoshioka wrote the scripts. They also brought along Ryosuke Nakanishi to compose the music. In fact, the first DVD and Blu-ray volumes sold over 10,000 copies on the first week of release in Japan.

In the present day, a group of factions known as the Angels, Devils and Fallen Angels co-exist with humanity. Kuoh Academy, once an an all-girls school, is now a co-educational institution that includes the Angels and Fallen Angels, Devils and humans. Issei Hyodo, a student at Kuoh Academy, is asked out by Yuma Amano. But there's only one problem: Issei soon discovers that Yuma is a Fallen Angel named Raynare who wants his hidden Sacred Gear and ends up killing him. Thus, Rias Gremory, a high-ranking student and the President of Kuoh Academy's Occult Research Club, revives him and becomes his new master.

After joining the ORC and discovering his Sacred Gear, Issei encounters Asia Argento, a former nun of the Catholic Church. When Asia is captured and killed by Raynare, Rias kills Raynare, revives Asia and has her join the ORC. The ORC become involved in the conflicts between Devils and Fallen Angels, as well as taking requests from humans, and participating in Rating Games. Akeno Himejima is the vice-president who possesses the power of electricity. The nekomata Koneko Toujou possesses superhuman strength. Yuto Kiba, the only male member of the club besides Issei, is a swordsman.

[line][/line]

Hello. Now that it's been a year since the third season, BorN, finished airing, and also Ichiei Ishibumi announcing that the last arc of the light novel series is about to commence with volume 22, I'm thinking that we should start hosting seasonal discussions about the three seasons of High School DxD, starting with the first season (which, appropriately enough, is titled High School DxD).

Throughout the month, I'll post questions to the fans to get their input on various topics regarding the particular seasons. Please feel free to share your favorite episodes and moments, as well as your personal critiques about this season. As always, let's keep seasonal discussions on-topic.

With that said, it's time for the first question for the first season of DxD:

What did you think of the season's premise?

• I personal enjoy the episode with the first battle with the white dragon. That sits hilarious. You will not shrink Rias tits. White dragons is like "wait what?" As you say beat the crap out of him.

• The first season of any show is the proverbial "first impression." This first season of High School DxD had great quality of animation, sound, and the Japanese and English voice acting were top-notch. What I found myself most laughing at (and is what got me hooked on the story and the characters) were the more mundane moments of simply trying to get by as a high school student.

The series shows that navigating high school is a pain in itself. Our hero has to learn to survive in two challenging worlds–high school and the underworld. Each world is equally challenging: the drama of high school (e.g. get a girlfriend, a decent reputation, or a life) is just as bewildering as learning to use and grow his power as a devil. Combining these two worlds really provides great comic fodder. The show avoids only giving Fan service or too heavy on combat scenes. Since the characters are multi-faceted, they are that much more interesting.

Some of my favorite moments/things: The various run-ins with the summon request clients, the alarm clock (that SOMEONE has got to make into an app) great psycho for a villain (Freed), the sheer shock that our hero faces as he learns to adapt to his new life as a devil--complete with all the hottest women in school who are starting to fall for him.

Summed up: The first season gets everything correct on a technical basis and won me over with the character/story line. Moreover, that story line wasn't one-sided: ONLY boobs, ONLY combat, ONLY occult..it remembered that these characters are high-school kids with their own problems and issues. When you add these issues to mix--you get a great overall story.

10/10

• The biggest thing I enjoy about the series is th
    e devil aspect. Watching it change and cause all new problem. Unfortunately there are way too many anime that involve highschool students with girl problems. It is still comical and witty

• My thoughts on the premise of the show was that it was really interesting, given the level of fanservice, action and comedy in it. Especially with the characterizations between Issei and the others, as well as the stories, which are primarily adapted from the first two light novel volumes, as well as the eighth.

What did you think of the Occult Research Club?

• Generic club thing for a show that takes place in a high school. Where its used as a front for the members to save the world and other silly things. But hey at least they aren't saving the world as student council president or w/e where the SCP is generically overpowered. Quite the opposite in Sona's case actually, she is actually not very flashy when it comes to her abilities, she's very underwhelming, Issei unrestrained would annihilate her.

• Two questions for the price of one!

What did you think of the Opening Theme?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVQWiYMyRE

What did you think of the Ending Theme?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJzLHq8cYcU

• Issey unrestrained blew apart that little shit of devil who thought because orphis had given him that snake. That he was untouchable. Not to mention beezibub. Issey unrestrained and fully trained would be enough to beat God himself. So yeah Sona would be abliterated.

• My question is what do you think Issey new ability is going to be?
    I think he will be abel to pass his scale mail armor off to protect 1 of his friends. Since Issey would not spare a moments thought to protecting 1 of them over himself. Plus he originally had ability to boost himself, then others, then he unlock his balance breaker, now where could you go from here that is a new ability that dredge has never experienced and that dragon has gone through multiple host is the last millenia

• My question is what do you think Issey new ability is going to be?
    I think he will be abel to pass his scale mail armor off to protect 1 of his friends. Since Issey would not spare a moments thought to protecting 1 of them over himself. Plus he originally had ability to boost himself, then others, then he unlock his balance breaker, now where could you go from here that is a new ability that dredge has never experienced and that dragon has gone through multiple host is the last millenia

• This post is deleted!

• @Fire_Seed1:

Issey unrestrained and fully trained would be enough to beat God himself. So yeah Sona would be abliterated.

He would never be able to match God. Only Ophis, Great Read, 666, Shiva and the wielder of the spear of Longinus can.

@Fire_Seed1:

My question is what do you think Issey new ability is going to be?

@Fire_Seed1:

now where could you go from here that is a new ability that dredge has never experienced and that dragon has gone through multiple host is the last millenia

Well as far as further transformations go Ddraig hasn't had anyone like Issei who successfully finds an alternative to Juggernaut Drive, which is True Queen. But as for abilities go, its whatever Ddraig had when he was alive and some powers that Albion (the Hakuryuukou) had since he integrated Divine Dividing to the Boosted Gear. He does have a protection ability but other than that he's just a loose cannon.

• To continue with the questions, here are three more heading your way:

Who was your favorite Occult Research Club character from the beginning?

What did you think of Yuma/Raynare?

• This post is deleted!

• @gjjones:

Council: Filler that wasn't even in the first two light novels, but the dodgeball stuff was pretty funny. The parents were also funny.

My favorite ORC member is Xenovia, I actually don't really care for the OG members, maybe Akeno?

Reynare was okay until they made her a plot point way the hell later on.

• What did you think of Issei"s first date, and the reveal of Yuma/Raynare as a Fallen Angel?

• I did not care much for the fallen angel bit. But I knew from the first episode she was going to be important. I know she is dead. But is it final death? She pops up in his memories during 3rd season. So is she actually dead. I am sure Rias would not leave her alive so that leave somebody who want yesay dead and is in a position to barter with death.

• She served a purpose of sorts. The harbinger of the news that Issei had a sacred gear and that a "normal" human existence wasn't in the cards. The first date is portrayed as Issei doting on her while trying to control his staring and her curves. It is indicative of his character and relationships with other women. He is genuinely caring and giving but a perv at heart.

• Two questions for the price of one:

What did you think of the death and resurrection of Issei, and the revelation that Rias is his new master?

What did you think of Issei joining the Occult Research Club?

• The death and resurrection were means to an end. How else does a human become a devil. The dying thoughts of red (blood) and boobs lead him to think of Rias…she shows up and claims him. It was practical and not overly dramatic.

The ORC is a bit more problematic in my view. None of the other kids in school seem to question "what is this ORC" and "what type of training camp" it would possibly entail. This is probably where we, the viewers/readers have to willingly suspend disbelief a tad in order to accept the duality of "devil" and "high school" making sense together. Odd that Matsuda and Motohama haven't "point-blank" demand to join the club via Issei and simply accept the fact that Issei now has a social life with hot women that somehow involves the ORC...and yet they never ask to join???

• Two more questions for the price of one:

What did you think of the concepts of chess, and the Fallen Angels, the Angels and the Devils?

What did you think of Issei achieving his Sacred Gear, Issei announcing his dream to become a Harem King, and Ddraig?