Robotech Streaming Now on Crackle

• Crackle is now streaming, for free, the entire Robotech series, as well as the film Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles. This is a classic mech anime, and I am super stoked to get to check it out. I am going to start binge watching this weekend!

Are you all as excited as I am? If you haven't seen it before, give it a try! This is great news for all of us, as this show starts the new Crackle Anime, which will give us yet another source of legal streaming anime! Crackle is free to use and has no monthly charges.

From Tech Times:
    "Originally released in 1985, the sci-fi anime series Robotech introduced a futuristic world where the human race faces extinction after being attacked by a fleet of massive alien warships. Humanity's only hope lies with robotechnology, which transforms humans into powerful gigantic robots and spaceships. The epic anime series covered three generations of heroes who used this technology to defend humans from their enemies.

Robotech was one of the first anime series ever seen on U.S. television that kept most of its complex story lines intact. A movie followed the series in 2006, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles. That film, which celebrates its 10th anniversary in 2016, featured the voice talents of Mark Hamill, Richard Epcar and Eddie Frierson and picked up where the series left off, in the year 2044. In the timeline of the film, the human race has moved out to the stars thanks to robotechnology, but not before creating new enemies that hope to destroy Earth."

https://youtu.be/I9_Xjs3iAeo

Source: (http://www.techtimes.com/articles/157697/20160511/crackle-picks-up-80s-anime-series-robotech.htm)

• Huh… wonder if this means we'll ever get actual Macross... bad me, I'm more interested in the later stuff (Frontier and Delta). But I guess I'll check it out.

• @Fiammetta:

Huh… wonder if this means we'll ever get actual Macross... bad me, I'm more interested in the later stuff (Frontier and Delta). But I guess I'll check it out.

Fun story: A few years back, Crackle actually HAD the original Macross available for streaming, with the ADV dub that was put out a long time ago. That's how I watched it.

• What is the difference between Robotech and the original Macross? To be honest, I thought that's what this was. lol

• @nubguy:

What is the difference between Robotech and the original Macross? To be honest, I thought that's what this was. lol

Robotech is an edited amalgamation of 3 separate series: Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

• And the newer Robotech stuff is based on that. The characters and story are different - not necessarily worse, but different. It's interesting, actually - I'd like to actually watch all of it and… not "analyze", per se, but reflect on the differences.
    I like things like that, where the same starting point can go different ways. Like the 2003 FMA vs the manga. And there's a new live-action movie in the works that will apparently feature a third continuity... (a lot of other series do that to, but I think FMA is unique in how worthwhile both versions are. Also Chrono Crusade, though.)

But yeah, that's the original Macross. There's Macross Frontier and Macross Delta (which is current) that... apparently may never get released here due to licensing tangles, I've heard. So if this is a step towards getting them...
    (I say as if I'm not studying for JLPT N2 and planning to move to Japan ^_^;)

• I'd so like to see the new Macross series being aired somewhere. Also, Robotech was decent but really dated. Also, an "interesting" dub. That was the series that taught me that cousin in Japan does not mean the same thing in the states. Thought it was really weird when the main female started to date her cousin.

• Well, I guess since there is no original Macross available at this time I will just watch Robotech instead.