Suggestion: Bring back the old android app until you fix the new app

• Just tried the new app and it's awful. Every 1 minute I need to buffer for 30 seconds. To be clear, I'm on 802.11AC which is not slow. I don't have this problem with Netflix or Youtube. The problem is your app. Your old app was good, your new app is not.

Reactivate the old app and people will switch to the new app when it's ready. Don't force us to beta test your new app for you. We're not your employees, we're your employers. We pay real money to you for a service which you are having a hard time supplying. When I can have a better experience stealing the shows I pay for from a free pirate site than I do from the company I actually pay who actually legally owns the shows, something is terribly terribly wrong.

• @seventyfive:

Just tried the new app and it's awful. Every 1 minute I need to buffer for 30 seconds. To be clear, I'm on 802.11AC which is not slow. I don't have this problem with Netflix or Youtube. The problem is your app. Your old app was good, your new app is not.

Reactivate the old app and people will switch to the new app when it's ready. Don't force us to beta test your new app for you. We're not your employees, we're your employers. We pay real money to you for a service which you are having a hard time supplying. When I can have a better experience stealing the shows I pay for from a free pirate site than I do from the company I actually pay who actually legally owns the shows, something is terribly terribly wrong.

Just use the website.

@seventyfive:

Don't force us to beta test your new app for you.

They aren't forcing anything on us, as I said above just use the website until the app is fixed.

@seventyfive:

We're not your employees, we're your employers.

We are neither, we are customers.

@seventyfive:

We pay real money to you for a service which you are having a hard time supplying.

Again, use the website.

@seventyfive:

When I can have a better experience stealing the shows I pay for from a free pirate site than I do from the company I actually pay who actually legally owns the shows, something is terribly terribly wrong.

Em, no

• Unfortunately, that will not be possible. The old app actually had more bugs than the current app, but you may have not encountered them or knew that what you were seeing was a bug. We also got a lot of complaints about the old app. The current app's bugs are being worked on. Video issues are prioritized above all others.

You can track all reported mobile app issues here: http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?10261-FunimationNow-mobile-app-known-issues-amp-improvement-suggestions

• @Anthony:

Just use the website.

They aren't forcing anything on us, as I said above just use the website until the app is fixed.

Again, use the website.

Hi. You said three times to use the website but that doesn't take in to account the way some people use the the Funimation service. I for one can't remember the last time I fired up a computer to watch a Funi video. I do have a HTPC that I built to watch anime in the living room when I first started with the service. That has now been relegated to our guest bedroom / my computer room and has only been turned on once in the last year. The task of feeding Funi and others streaming services to the TVs in those two rooms is now handled by a pair of Rokus. With that in mind you might say to just watch on the Rokus until the apps are fixed. Still not good because they only cover 10% of my anime viewing habit. The other 90% is done on my Android phones and tablets. So what am I to do? Uninstall and walk away from Funimation? I have considered that and quite frankly it does seem to be the most sane option. The definition of insanity is said to repeat the same thing over and over and to expect a different outcome. I have loaded the FuniNow app over and over and it has yet to give me a single clean viewing experience from beginning to end of an episode that I can remember. On the other hand the old Phunware app did and still does ( on those devices that it still works on) provide me with with a viewing experience that I am happy with. If your still not convinced that viewing on a computer is not a good choice for some, I'll leave you three examples of why it's not.

1.) It's hard to lug a computer to work so I can watch anime on my breaks. That also goes for the DMV, doctor's office, or anywhere else I might have to wait and want to kill some time. Yes a laptop would be easier but it's still not as easy as the phone on my hip.

2.) I'm not, like I'm sure most of us are not, an Otaku living in my mother's basement.

3.) We don't like paying for something we can't use. Just like we wouldn't be happy if we went in to a steakhouse and they tried to give us a pitch fork and a chainsaw to eat our steak. Yes it is an option but it's not what we would be expecting. It's not what would work best and easiest for us. Just like how the computer doesn't work for many of us but the smaller more portable phone app dos when it works. Most people I know would just get up and say no I'm not paying to eat like that. I know I would. I'm betting you would too. :)

• @xdnow:

With that in mind you might say to just watch on the Rokus until the apps are fixed. Still not good because they only cover 10% of my anime viewing habit. The other 90% is done on my Android phones and tablets.

If you have a cellphone, you can technically (using an available video/HMDI output) plug it into your TV and watch it that way. Or, there are streaming devices that you can buy for a computer that transmit the screen output to a TV wirelessly (so your computer can be in a different room).

Granted, this is not as convenient as a direct app… nevertheless, the options do exist. In either case, it is simply best to wait until everything FUNimation is working on is finished.

@xdnow:

So what am I to do? Uninstall and walk away from Funimation?

If you want to cancel your subscription until such time; do not feel "hostage" to this service otherwise.

• @thegrandalliance:

If you have a cellphone, you can technically (using an available video/HMDI output) plug it into your TV and watch it that way. Or, there are streaming devices that you can buy for a computer that transmit the screen output to a TV wirelessly (so your computer can be in a different room).

Granted, this is not as convenient as a direct app… nevertheless, the options do exist. In either case, it is simply best to wait until everything FUNimation is working on is finished.

If you want to cancel your subscription until such time; do not feel "hostage" to this service otherwise.

I must have confused you. I don't want to and have little desire to watch anime on my TV. I want to watch it on my phone. That is the app that's not working. Hostage is a good word because I paid for a year's service, so technically I am a hostage. "No refunds"

• @xdnow:

Hostage is a good word because I paid for a year's service, so technically I am a hostage. "No refunds"

Ahh, LoL. Well I admit, even if my service was cut off tomorrow; with the amount of Anime I watched thusly so, a 1-year sub is more then worth. No way could I have legally watched this much content for 60USD or so before streaming services existed.

But yes, if you are "not as fortunate" as I am I suppose, that would be a problem. Depending on the mobile device you have, you could instead watch the anime on a browser on the app (go to funimation.com on Chrome or otherwise) and you could backdoor it that way. I think I have heard problems with Iphones (not having Flash), but as long as your cell phone has Flash it should work for now.

The new player uses HTML5, so no need for Flash. That should work on everything that isn't ancient, in either case.

• @xdnow:

-Snip-

You have a phone? Yes? Use it.

• @Anthony:

You have a phone? Yes? Use it.

He claims the app doesn't work on his phone, for whatever cause. Thus, the "problems", as it were.

• @thegrandalliance:

He claims the app doesn't work on his phone, for whatever cause. Thus, the "problems", as it were.

Yes, I know. I meant use the website to watch anime on his phone. I used my phone (the website) to watch anime before the FunimantionNow App. I don't see why people complain when there is another option in front of them.

• @Anthony:

I don't see why people complain when there is another option in front of them.

Good point… I similarly wonder this likewise. Notwithstanding technical issues; it is either because they don't think to do that or simply like to troll, in either case...

• @Anthony:

Yes, I know. I meant use the website to watch anime on his phone. I used my phone (the website) to watch anime before the FunimantionNow App. I don't see why people complain when there is another option in front of them.

Hi again. I do have problems with the new app. Mostly being that it repeats over and over and stalls a lot and just about every other complaint that's been posted in the forums. Thanks for the clarification on using the website on your phone. I'm old school and thought you meant on the computer. However the sad news is that I have tried to do just what you meant to say and have tried to use the website on my three phones and two tablets. For me that was worse than both old and new apps. I did the install of the flash apk, 11 point something. I tried different browsers that promised to play flash videos. They all failed somehow. Anyway I'm glad to hear you went that route and it worked for you. I must be missing something on my devices or missing a step in the process of getting it to work. If you have any hints or tips I can use, I'll be happy to give them a try. The good news for me is that I have the old app back on all my devices and will just use that until they kill it or the new one works well enough.

• @thegrandalliance:

Good point… I similarly wonder this likewise. Notwithstanding technical issues; it is either because they don't think to do that or simply like to troll, in either case...

Nope neither is true. Website to me equals computer. Anthony didn't mention the phone in his original post so I went with what I thought he meant. I have tried the phone route and had little luck there. Trolling isn't what I wanted either. It was more like I wanted to vent. He sounded frustrated when he replied to Seventyfive and I thought I could give him clarity on how we who have been frustrated with the state of the new app feel and blow off some steam at the same time. Looks like that failed. :) Oh well. BTW, my phones and tablets all came out after Android dropped Flash in the summer of 2012 and all have an HTML5 browser. I have watched a series or two over on the anime network's website on my phone with no problems.

• Have you tried the Chrome app? That's what I use and it works fine for me. Give it a try.

• @Anthony:

Have you tried the Chrome app? That's what I use and it works fine for me. Give it a try.

Hey. Thanks for the tip. Chrome works way better than the stock Android browser for the site. Buttons and stuff are smaller than the app but it works. Thanks, again…..

• @xdnow:

Hey. Thanks for the tip. Chrome works way better than the stock Android browser for the site. Buttons and stuff are smaller than the app but it works. Thanks, again…..

No problem, I'm glad it works for you :)

• @xdnow:

Chrome works way better than the stock Android browser for the site. Buttons and stuff are smaller than the app but it works. Thanks, again…..

What? I thought all android devices came with Chrome installed by default: News to me. Wonder what this "default" browser is, after all…

• No, not on all. I haven't seen it on my fire tablet. Which is a modified Android put out by Amazon. It has been on all others I've seen. It can be disabled on some. The browser I called stock is the one with globe shortcut icon that says "internet" below it. That one is also on every Android device. Even on the ones without the Playstore.

• Meh, Windows Mobile FTW !:)