Endride Dub Review

• The first dubbed episode of Endride was released today at 3:00pm EST. Finally, I get to judge the first episode for myself. I haven't watched the subbed version because I've been waiting for the dub, and I'm glad it got a broadcast dub. People have been saying that's it's not what they expected and other things along that line. I just finished watching the first episode dubbed and I have to say I enjoyed it.

Shun Asanaga and Emilio, the main characters, are off to a sort of shaky friendship. I liked how I got some background information on Emilio, to help understand why he tried to kill the king. As for Shun Asanaga, what I don't get is why his father had a crystal, (Not sure what the exact name for it is yet), from the other world.

I'm excited to see the next episode since the first episode left me on the edge. I mean, who is that girl? And what are those powers? (The swords coming out of people's chests). I guess I'll have to wait for the next episode the figure that out, hopefully.

What are your thoughts on the first episode? (Please don't spoil the show for me :))

• Yes, I completely agree. I have been hearing all this negative hype about the show, but after watching episode 1 in dub, I don't really see it that way. I liked the episode as well.

The characters seem interesting and the world building has potential. I am also a fan of the art. Very colorful, detailed backgrounds. The first episode had some action, some humor, some intrigue, and also introduced the two main characters. I think they chose the perfect voice actors for the two main roles. With Aaron Dismuke as Shun Asanaga and Ian Sinclair as Emilio Langheim, how can you go wrong? lol

All in all, it was a good first episode. It had enough to entertain and keep me interested in watching more. I am curious about the crystals and about their weapons. Next episode should be good.

Anyone else check out the dub yet?

• well yeah, if your only one ep in, you're not going to understand the negativity surrounding the show.

yes, re-watched the first ep in English yesterday, and its fine. Kyle's improving as a director and he seems to care about his show, so it should be a decent dub.

• @Getchman:

well yeah, if your only one ep in, you're not going to understand the negativity surrounding the show.

Would you say Endride is as a bad as Big Order? Because Big Order is just a terrible show…

• @Anthony:

Would you say Endride is as a bad as Big Order? Because Big Order is just a terrible show…

how was the big order terrible?

• @Anthony:

nope, I don't think anything this season is worse than Big Order

• @apocolypse67:

how was the big order terrible?

I'm not very good at explaining things xP, but the show is a mess. Also http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/big-order/episode-5/.102007

I agree with the review

@Getchman:

nope, I don't think anything this season is worse than Big Order

I like Hundred, it's my top anime this season.

• The dub cast seems like it would be great, so I might give the show another chance later on when more episodes are out.

The main trio (it seems?) were just a bit too immature and it just felt so cookie-cutter in a lot of ways (mainly in a based-on-a-video-game way).
    But, hey. Emilio's gorgeous, so…

• @Fiammetta:

But, hey. Emilio's gorgeous, so…

Yep, I can agree with that.
    @Fiammetta:

The dub cast seems like it would be great, so I might give the show another chance later on when more episodes are out.

Great to hear :)

• Well, I tried to edit the thread name to "Endride Dub Review" because it would be easier to put all of the reviews into one thread instead of having multiple ones. @Spacemanardy, if you can, could you change the title of this thread to "Endride Dub Review" please?

Anyways, the second dubbed episode came out and I finished watching it.

So in this episode we were introduced to Alicia, Falarion and Pascal. Nothing much happened in this episode but it there was some explanation as to what Endora. Emilio and Shun do bicker a lot, but I really don't mind that. The part that I liked the most about this episode was at the end, when they escaped using a plane or something like that. It reminded me of the movie … I cannot remember what it's called, but basically the same thing happened. People were chasing them and they escaped using a bathtub as a plane. One thing that annoys me, but I don't really mind, it the middle part; you when they show the pictures? They are kinda small and weird, but it doesn't really bother me, just wanted to point that out.

So what did you guys think of the second episode dubbed?

• Alright, well I just watched episode 2, and I still really like the show. This is my interpretation of it:

They made an interesting religious reference when they talk about Babel, the way to get to the surface world. It refers to the Tower of Babel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel.

"The Tower of Babel (/ˈbæbəl/ or /ˈbeɪbəl/; Hebrew: מִגְדַּל בָּבֶל‎, Migdal Bāḇēl) is an etiological myth in the Book of Genesis of the Tanakh (also referred to as the Hebrew Bible or the Old Testament) meant to explain the origin of different languages. According to the story, everyone on earth spoke the same language. As people migrated from the east, they settled in the land of Shinar (Hebrew: שנער‎). There they agreed to build a city and tower whose peak rose to the heavens. God came down to look at the city and tower, and remarked that as one people with one language, nothing that they sought would be out of their reach. Seeing this, God confounded their speech so that they could no longer understand each other and scattered them around the world. God overturned the tower with a great wind. In the Midrash, it said that the top of the tower was burnt, the bottom was swallowed, and the middle was left standing to erode over time."

If we see the Tower of Babel as a metaphor in this show, then the Babel, the way to get to the surface world, was humanity's connection to ultimate truth and potential. With the connection severed, they have become confounded, just like in the story of the Tower of Babel. Where once humanity was united as one with full potential, they have now become disconnected and scattered, perhaps, as punishment for their hubris.

"The 1st-century Jewish interpretation found in Flavius Josephus explains the construction of the tower as a hubristic act of defiance against God ordered by the arrogant tyrant Nimrod." If they wish to recreate Babel and reach the surface world, this would be seen as a defiant act against whoever destroyed the connection in the first place. But to do so would also reestablish that connection to the surface world, reuniting humanity and allowing it to reach its full potential.

That is how I see it, and through that context, I think it just adds something really cool to the show. I hope they continue to expand on these themes as the show moves forward. All that aside, I also am enjoying the characters and the setting. It is an enjoyable show, and I think it has a lot of potential to get really good in the next few episodes.

What do you all think of my theory? Any good?

• @nubguy:

What do you all think of my theory? Any good?

To be honest when they mentioned The Tower of Babel I didn't know what they meant, this makes sense. I actually agree with this, because Pascal purposely left out crucial information to finish The Tower of Babel.

• @Anthony:

To be honest when they mentioned The Tower of Babel I didn't know what they meant, this makes sense. I actually agree with this, because Pascal purposely left out crucial information to finish The Tower of Babel.

Oh yeah, that's a really good point. That would definitely help explain that a bit. I hope they continue on with that theme throughout the show. I am actually really enjoying the show so far and am excited to see where it goes.

• Hey, Spaceman Hardy, Anthony and I were wondering if you could change the name of this thread to Endride Dub Review to make it less confusing? We would like to continue to use this thread for the entire series. Thanks dude!

• ^ Done. :)

• Cool, thanks man! ^_^

• @SpacemanHardy:

^ Done. :)

Thanks ^_^

and thank you too nubguy for reminding him :)

• This episode wasn't to exciting at the beginning, but that cliffhanger at the end… I guess the reinforcements and the two knuckle heads are about to fight. I won't be surprised if Shun or Emilio tries to jump off the edge, I mean one of them is gonna jump off and take the other one with them. I could be wrong. I'm interested to see what Pascal finds in the village nearby.

It's kinda interesting I've never watched an anime like this, I usually wait till all the episodes are out or until it has a decent amount of episodes out. But it's not to bad, I've done it with other shows (non-anime), so I'll survive :P

• Wow, this is awesome! More religious symbolism being used in the plot of Endride. Let me break it down.

So, we know that the world as it exists in Endride consists of a surface land and underground land, separated now, but once connected by the Babel. The underground world is known to its people as Endora, but, Pascal mentioned that he heard it was actually once called Shambala. Now, this is where the religious aspect comes into it.

"The legend of Shambhala is said to date back thousands of years, and reference to the mythical land can be found in various ancient texts. In Tibetan Buddhist and Hindu traditions, Shambhala (Sanskrit: शम्भलः Śambhalaḥ, also spelled Shambala or Shamballa or 'Shambhallah'; Tibetan: བདེ་འབྱུང, Wylie: bde 'byung; Chinese: 香巴拉; pinyin: xiāngbālā), a Sanskrit word meaning 'place of peace' or 'place of silence,' is a mythical kingdom hidden somewhere in Hollow Earth. It is mentioned in various ancient texts, including the Kalacakra Tantra and the ancient Zhangzhung texts of western Tibet. According to legend, it is a land where only the pure of heart can live, a place where love and wisdom reigns and where people are immune to suffering, want or old age."

"Shambhala is said to be the land of a thousand names. It has been called the Forbidden Land, the Land of White Waters, Land of Radiant Spirits, Land of Living Fire, Land of the Living Gods and Land of Wonders. The Hindus call it Aryavartha (‘The Land of the Worthy Ones); the Chinese know it as Hsi Tien, the Western Paradise of Hsi Wang Mu; and to the Russian Old Believers, it is known as Belovoyde. But throughout Asia, it is best known by its Sanskrit name, Shambhala, Shamballa, or Shangri-la."

"Hindu texts such as the Vishnu Purana (4.24) mention the village Shambhala as the birthplace of Kalki, the final incarnation of Vishnu who will usher in a new Golden Age (Satya Yuga). Whatever its historical basis, Shambhala gradually came to be seen as a Buddhist pure land, a fabulous kingdom whose reality is visionary or spiritual as much as physical or geographic. It was in this form that the Shambhala myth reached Western Europe and the Americas, where it influenced non-Buddhist as well as Buddhist spiritual seekers — and, to some extent, popular culture in general. The concept of Shangri-La, as first described in James Hilton's 1933 novel Lost Horizon, is claimed to have been inspired by the Shambhala myth."

"However, the text in which Shambhala is first discussed extensively is the Kalachakra. The Kalachakra refers to a complex and advanced esoteric teaching and practice in Tibetan Buddhism. The Kalachakra prophesies the gradual deterioration of mankind as the ideology of materialism spreads over the earth. When the 'barbarians' who follow this ideology are united under an evil king and think there is nothing left to conquer, the mists will lift to reveal the snowy mountains of Shambhala. The barbarians will attack Shambhala with a huge army equipped with terrible weapons. Then the king of Shambhala will emerge from Shambhala with a huge army to vanquish 'dark forces' and usher in a worldwide Golden Age."

So, Babel is the connection between the surface world and Shambhala. "Some legends say that the entrance to Shambhala is hidden inside a remote, abandoned monastery in Tibet, and guarded by beings known as the Shambhala Guardians" I think Pascal is a sort of Shambhala Guardian, protecting his world from the surface world's evil. The tyrant King Delzaine wishes to re-establish that connection, and will cause the destruction of Shambhala. "The barbarians will attack Shambhala with a huge army equipped with terrible weapons. Then the king of Shambhala will emerge from Shambhala with a huge army to vanquish 'dark forces' and usher in a worldwide Golden Age." Emilio is that future king who will rise up and take down the mad-man Delzaine. Shun, a surface dweller, has been deemed worthy of reaching Shambala, and will aid Emilio in his battle to create a lasting peace for both of their worlds.

Sources: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shambhala), (http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-asia/mysteries-kingdom-shambhala-001529)

@Anthony:

This episode wasn't to exciting at the beginning, but that cliffhanger at the end… I guess the reinforcements and the two knuckle heads are about to fight. I won't be surprised if Shun or Emilio tries to jump off the edge, I mean one of them is gonna jump off and take the other one with them. I could be wrong. I'm interested to see what Pascal finds in the village nearby.

It's kinda interesting I've never watched an anime like this, I usually wait till all the episodes are out or until it has a decent amount of episodes out. But it's not to bad, I've done it with other shows (non-anime), so I'll survive :P

Yeah, that ending was awesome. I am curious who these "reinforcements" are, and they characters look pretty cool. I am thinking that Emilio plans to persuade them to join his cause somehow. Even Shun didn't really know what was going on. haha Let's hope they don't have to jump, I can't see that going very well. lol I also thought there were some some funny parts, like when they crash landed that ship. Overall, it was a good episode though, and the art is always nice. I really am enjoying the religious aspects of the plot, as it really adds some extra depth to the show. We shall see if my theories pan out in future episodes.

That is funny dude. lol I always watch my anime like that. I like to do it that way because it lets me watch more shows at a time. And it is kind of fun to tune in each week with everyone else and talk about it.

• Okay, so I just watched episode 4, and I have more to add to my theory! This could potentially be a spoiler, although it is just speculation, but just know that before reading any further. Watch episode 4 first then come back here.

So, over the last few weeks, I have been posting my ideas on the religious symbolism behind the show, and of the nature of the connection between the surface world and the hollow world, known as Endora, or Shambhala. Shambhala, a place of great wonder that has been disconnected from the rest of the world by the destruction of the Babel.

In this episode, Shun and Emilio try to convince the rebel group known as the Ignauts, to join their cause against King Delzaine. One of the members, Eljuia, has the ability to predict the future. Eljuia fainted and had a vision of Shun back on the surface world. Only, it wasn't a medieval world as one might expect. Shun is seen standing amidst many skyscrapers, towering far above. It is a modern day city, like New York. What this potentially means is that the surface world that has been disconnected from Endora is our world, and that Shun has forgotten all about that world in which he came from. This is totally not what I expected.

As for the rest of the episode, it was quite good. I really like all of the Ignauts. They are awesome! Character designs on them are really nice, and the voice actors are doing a great job. I am excited to see some more of them in future episodes. It looks like Shun and Emilio are headed off to the city of Babylon to go see what's up with King Delzaine and the Babel. Things are going to get interesting! Haha