Puella Magi Madoka Magica Discussion Thread

• This is a discussion for all things related to Madoka. On October 26th, the third and final of the Puella Magi Madoka Magica films will open in Japanese theaters October 26th. The movie will be screened in America this winter.

Rebellion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5jdPopwV8

Plot Summary: (from ANN)

Madoka Kaname used to be a normal girl living happy days of her life. This all ended when she sacrificed herself in order to save other magical girls from the utterly cruel fate that awaited them. Unable to let her memories of Madoka die, Homura Akemi continues to fight alone in the world that Madoka left behind for humanity in order to see her smile once more.

Official website

• Why start a "discussion" thread if you don't personally have anything to discuss?

• @Shiroi:

Why start a "discussion" thread if you don't personally have anything to discuss?

For now, this is just for the sake of bringing it over from the beta forum. Trust me, there will be plenty to discuss in the near future!

• Madoka is right up there with Sailor Moon in the "favorite Magical Girl Anime" catagory for me, I hope Aniplex eventually dubs the films, I would love to have those dubbed on Blu-Ray someday!

• I can't imagine them NOT dubbing the films. The subbed releases of the movies are nothing more than imports for people who couldn't wait (which will be me when movie 3 comes out), so we should hopefully see an R1 release with a dub sometime next year.

• @Firefly:

The subbed releases of the movies are nothing more than imports for people who couldn't wait (which will be me when movie 3 comes out)

Ditto.

And eventually we will be getting them dubbed, it would be crazy if AoA doesn't get on it. The first two movies are a remake of the series, but they couldn't just not dub those, and only work on the third movie.

• Leaving the first two undubbed would feel kind of lazy on AOA's part. They're part of a movie trilogy after all, despite being a compilation of the already-dubbed-and-available TV series, and only dubbing the last part would be strange. And I'll buy Rebellion again when it does get a dub. ^_^

I was tempted to pick up the Collector's Edition import of 1 and 2, but decided against it since it's basically just the TV series. I can wait for an R1 release for those, and then I'll probably go for just the standard BD, provided they stick to their original Madoka format of standard DVD, standard BD, and LE BD/DVD.

• I’ll pick up all three of those movies once they’re available by Aniplex of America; I also hope they get an English dub.

I want to talk about the original show though, I expressed some thoughts about it on the original forum and I actually backed that up as a word document; it’s on my computer somewhere. I may edit it and post it one f these days, however, there was one motif I had brought up on it that I want to bring up and elaborate on here.

I spoke of a Chess motif due to scenes that repeatedly had checkered floors; even in the very first scene of the anime, we see Madoka running along a checkered floor. I know, with how often they come up, they weren’t just thrown in there because they look cool, there was a reason of purpose; whether that was the intention of the writer, I don’t know, it’s just how I see it. What I’m surprised about considering how often people like to talk about this show is that the checkered floors never come up despite how often they are shown and the context of a given scene in which they appear.

Firstly, I notice they show up during intense scenes; similar to the beginning of the series when we see Madoka running across one only to open a door to a war zone. When Mami and Homura are discussing their disagreement, the park floor they stand on is checkered. These are merely two of many scenes this comes up.

I also noticed that Kyubey is constantly trying to set up situations that would force Madoka to concede to a contract with him; he does this by baiting her, which is something chess players do to get their opponents to part with their valuable pieces. This is something I will bring up again later in this post.

I have already touched on all this the last time I ventured my thoughts on this show; I want to delve further into that motif.

If there are literal “chess boards” that character traffic is taking place and there are a lot of mind games going on, just like in chess, then; that would mean the characters represent the pieces.

Firstly, Madoka; she’s a King; the most valuable piece on the board because the King is the game; lose the King Lose the game. The King can only move one space in any direction, given the nature of Madoka’s character, I see the similarities. Add to that she’s generally friendly with all the other characters, even Kyoko. Now if she’s the King, that would mean, Kyubey is the King on the opposing side and the witches being the varied pieces; unfortunately the last time I watched this was a few months ago, so I’m not sure which pieces the witches would represent, I’m sure if I watched it again, I could have an answer. Moving on with my train of thought; most of the mental confrontation occurs between Madoka and Kyubey, and with the way she show ended, Madoka came up with the play to checkmate Kyubey.

Next is Homura, she’s the Queen, the most powerful piece; she can move in any direction as far as the player desires. In a way, when we think about Homura and her abilites, this is very similar to the Queen, she moves over huge spaces by manipulating time and can dispatch enemies quite easily. She can also store mass quantities of weapons; she is also closest to Madoka as is a Queen to their King. Lastly, the Queen is as vulnerable as any other piece, she’s the most powerful, but not indestructible.

In case it wasn’t obvious enough, Sayaka is the Knight; from her weapon, which is a sword to her garb that consists of a cape to her idealism and strong sense of justice; she embodies the gallant knight. In chess the knight is the only piece that can leap over other pieces moving in an “L” shape.

The Rook is Kyoko; it moves in a straight line vertically or horizontally in any distance, the Rook or Castle has connotations of strength. If we examine Kyoko’s character, she’s very straightforward and her fighting style is more direct as opposed to the other characters. She and Sayaka clash of their philosophical differences hence a lot of screen time is devoted to both of them together confronting those differences.

Lastly, we have Mami; she’s the Bishop which moves diagonally on the board in any distance which in a strange way matches her fight pattern and her overall look; when I think about it, Mami actually does look a little like the Bishop chess piece. The bishop is associated with religion and mentorship; something that is outlined in Mami’s relationship with Sayaka. If one looks at the way the pieces are arranged on the board the Bishop is right next to the Knight, which is next to the Rook, and I’ve already touched on that.

There’s one other anime that uses the chess motif and that’s High School DxD; obviously a very different series to Madoka, and as much as I loved it, I feel that Madoka handled the chess motif in a more clever manner. With that said though, HSDXD still did a good job of handling it, and considering the context of the series and the fact that the characters needed to know which position they were, I can understand why it was more upfront. I still say, despite the fact that I adored both shows I prefer how Madoka dealt with it even though the context of the motif was different. So yes, I am comparing apples and oranges, it’s just this time; the apples happen to taste slightly better.

• @neonwalrus:

I spoke of a Chess motif due to scenes that repeatedly had checkered floors; even in the very first scene of the anime, we see Madoka running along a checkered floor. I know, with how often they come up, they weren’t just thrown in there because they look cool, there was a reason of purpose; whether that was the intention of the writer, I don’t know, it’s just how I see it.

That is a very good observation, one that I'd never noticed before myself. I'm under the assumption that the checkered floor is the director Shinbou's doing, but I think that was meant to symbolize the aforementioned Chess motif within the series that was created by Urobuchi. Looking back at Code Geass, they execute the same idea with Lelouch using actual chess pieces in various scenes, but I much prefer the more subtle style seen in Madoka.

• @neonwalrus:

In chess the knight is the only piece that can leap over other pieces moving in an “L” shape.

"L" for Love, perhaps? Just a random thought. The chess motif makes a lot of sense when you spell it out like that. It would be interesting to see if it correlates to Fate/Zero, which also has multiple "kings" with players controlling them. I'll keep that in mind when the Blu-rays arrive.

Damnit Madoka Magica, I feel like I'll never be able to stop analyzing you, there's so many layers!. I spend less time thinking about Lain and Utena… I wonder why that is.

• @Renzokuken:

"L" for Love, perhaps? Just a random thought. The chess motif makes a lot of sense when you spell it out like that. It would be interesting to see if it correlates to Fate/Zero, which also has multiple "kings" with players controlling them. I'll keep that in mind when the Blu-rays arrive.

The"L" for Love could be a good way to connect it, or perhaps, "L" for Loyalty?

With Fate/Zero and it's Chess motif, I might have to look at it that way as well, by the way; the sets look pretty slick don't they?

Set 1

http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=ALTERNATE_IMAGE_1&ItemName=aoa2303b&LanguageIsoName=en

http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=ALTERNATE_IMAGE_2&ItemName=aoa2303b&LanguageIsoName=en

Set 2

http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=ALTERNATE_IMAGE_1&ItemName=aoa2304b&LanguageIsoName=en

http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=ALTERNATE_IMAGE_2&ItemName=aoa2304b&LanguageIsoName=en

@Renzokuken:

Damnit Madoka Magica, I feel like I'll never be able to stop analyzing you, there's so many layers!. I spend less time thinking about Lain and Utena… I wonder why that is.

When I got to watch Madoka on bluray on my normal TV and I was actually able to immerse myself in it without having to read subtitles; and that’s not a potshot against those of you who like watching your anime subtitled; I was able to fully enjoy it and admire the artistic direction there.

That’s when this chess motif hit me; I noticed right there and then, repeated checkerboard floors and just certain imagery that evoked chess like feel to it. My last post, I just ran with that idea a little further.

As I said earlier, when I watch any type of media, I’m not going out of my way to get these analogies, I just casually notice them. I brought up the example of Queen’s Blade Rebellion a few weeks ago when I was just checking out how the English dub came out and in the few scenes I watched, I noticed how there were themes being used and how they conflict with each other. The scenes where Ymir, the alchemist/scientist/engineer and Sigui the inquisitor/high priestess are together, just by looking at them you can see conflicting ideologies merely based on what each of them represent and stand for. It’s the same when Annelotte goes to the confessional booth and is talking to Sigui and when Annelotte is told to blindly put her faith in god, Annelotte answers with “so you don’t want me to think for myself.” So the various situations we have are science vs. religion and individuality vs. religion. Like I said, I’m not really going out of my way to get these assessments, I just notice them.

Another neat little nugget about Madoka is that is essentially boils down to a war between Magical Girls and Witches. Since we know all the circumstances and what eventually becomes of Magical Girls and where Kyubey fits into all this, it’s real world implications are quite profound.

Think about, you have a war created and orchestrated by a third party, who, doesn’t necessarily lie, but leaves out a lot of important details. In the end, it’s this third party who, creates and controls the war by recruiting soldiers and telling them what they want to hear who ultimately reaps all the benefits. That’s generally how wars work in the real world; the real winners are the profiteers and warlords; that’s what Kyubey pretty represents.

• It's coming to Seattle! I can't wait.

• I bought a ticket for the Sat showing in Boston. I'm super pumped. I don't know how I'm going to wait till December.

• Full 90-second trailer posted. December 6th can't come soon enough…

• Still no dub for the newest movie though? I'll be the first to say that AoA's dub for the series was pretty weak but I enjoyed it much more than I did the sub, to the point that I really don't have much interest in this subbed. :(

• @sidereal_presence:

Still no dub for the newest movie though? I'll be the first to say that AoA's dub for the series was pretty weak but I enjoyed it much more than I did the sub, to the point that I really don't have much interest in this subbed. :(

If it gets a dub, it will come later on the home video release.

• All the "intel" I've found for this movie tells me that there won't be a dubbed home video release. That's why I'm concerned.

The ending to the first series lost impact in Japanese with me as it didn't convey the full irony of the situation. I also just didn't like the Japanese voice acting as I feel that characters in Japanese sound like their archetype and not actual unique characters, but that's beside the point.

• @sidereal_presence:

The ending to the first series lost impact in Japanese with me as it didn't convey the full irony of the situation. I also just didn't like the Japanese voice acting as I feel that characters in Japanese sound like their archetype and not actual unique characters, but that's beside the point.

While I'm more biased towards the English track, and it wasn't bad as it was made out to be; it still could've been better. Don't get me wrong, I preferred watching this show dubbed, I'm just saying when you have characters ending their phrases in an identical fashion, there's room for improvement; is all.

• Sorry for the double post, but I came across something neat, I may have to buy one:

And another one:

For some reason the hands on it make me crack up laughing.

• Here's a full-scale Homura. I would absolutely love to have this as a 1/8:

I'll even take something as little as a decal of her on my car.