Funimation Now

• I've been using this iphone app for quite some time now to watch a show or two before I go into work, and I think it's really great. The anime I watch in the app I prefer to watch dubbed, and I've come across a bit of an annoyance with the app.
    Even if the anime is in my queue, even if it was the last thing I watched the previous day, if I return to the next episode it automatically starts playing in Japanese language. There is currently no way to switch the audio back to English from this point. There is no language option to click on the video itself. If I back out to the episode list, I can't select English on the video, it only lets you click the video link and then it auto plays in Japanese. The only way to get it to play in English again is to go all the way back to the home screen, look up the series, find the episode I was on and then I can select English. Once you start watching in English it will go to the next episode just fine, but coming back to it the next day it seems to forget how I was watching it.
    Again it's just a minor annoyance, but if you could keep this in mind for future upgrades to the app I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

• Yes, this is only one of the "myriad" of issues with the player, it appears.

And they didn't think they needed a public beta test, either. All done in-house; nothing to see here, moving on…

• @Fanas:

I've been using this iphone app for quite some time now to watch a show or two before I go into work, and I think it's really great. The anime I watch in the app I prefer to watch dubbed, and I've come across a bit of an annoyance with the app.
    Even if the anime is in my queue, even if it was the last thing I watched the previous day, if I return to the next episode it automatically starts playing in Japanese language. There is currently no way to switch the audio back to English from this point. There is no language option to click on the video itself. If I back out to the episode list, I can't select English on the video, it only lets you click the video link and then it auto plays in Japanese. The only way to get it to play in English again is to go all the way back to the home screen, look up the series, find the episode I was on and then I can select English. Once you start watching in English it will go to the next episode just fine, but coming back to it the next day it seems to forget how I was watching it.
    Again it's just a minor annoyance, but if you could keep this in mind for future upgrades to the app I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

1. Click the 3 lines at the top left of the screen
    2. Click "Settings"
    3. Click "Audio Preference" and select "English"

Problem Fixed :) :up:

• @thegrandalliance:

Yes, this is only one of the "myriad" of issues with the player, it appears.

And they didn't think they needed a public beta test, either. All done in-house; nothing to see here, moving on…

Actually, they stated in their initial press release that Sony DADC developed the mobile app. It is the Funimation employees who seem to be collecting reports of bugs in the forum and reporting them to the developers, but they are not the devs.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/01/07/funimation-entertainment-blasts-into-the-new-year-with-the-launch-of-funimationnow-at-ces-2016-press-release/

• I wonder if the UK Funimation experience is/will be as poor as we have been dealing with the last several months?

I'm betting they got polished product while we got polished turds.

• @dougswisher:

I wonder if the UK Funimation experience is/will be as poor as we have been dealing with the last several months?

I'm betting they got polished product while we got polished turds.

nope, they had/have issues as well. I've been occasionally looking at their UK twitter account and there was a massive flood of complaints on launch day. its slowed down since, but folks are still having issues over there

• @Anthony:

1. Click the 3 lines at the top left of the screen
    2. Click "Settings"
    3. Click "Audio Preference" and select "English"

Problem Fixed :) :up:

Nice suggestion, doesn't work on my iPad though, app still insists I listen in Japanese. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get an episode to play in English. Once I finally get English audio the app try's to force English subtitles on me about half the time as its next weirdness (settings have subtitles off by default already).

• That's weird :hmm:, I have no problems with the app playing Japanese instead of English.

• @Cheat:

Actually, they stated in their initial press release that Sony DADC developed the mobile app. It is the Funimation employees who seem to be collecting reports of bugs in the forum and reporting them to the developers, but they are not the devs.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/01/07/funimation-entertainment-blasts-into-the-new-year-with-the-launch-of-funimationnow-at-ces-2016-press-release/

Doesn't prevent them from taking it to a public beta of it before officially launching. IT IS their product after all, they set the terms…

• @thegrandalliance:

Doesn't prevent them from taking it to a public beta of it before officially launching. IT IS their product after all, they set the terms…

Yes, and maybe they chose to let users access the new app early so they could just find the bugs and fix them faster than leaving the old app that no one liked up for an even longer period of time while they kept testing the new one. The more users are using an app and submitting bugs, the faster they can get those bugs fixed and the faster everyone has a stable product to enjoy.

Even with bugs the new app is way better than the old Phunware one so it makes sense to me why they would want to push it out. Before it was out people were telling them to kill the Phunware app every day here on the forums. People could find something to complain about in either scenario.

• @thegrandalliance:

This issue was introduced after we launched. If we had had a beta, no one would have encountered the issue either. Regardless, though, the issue is being worked on. The way to bypass is to set your audio preference to the language you want to watch. If you still are unable to watch the episode in that language, then it's a content issue, which can be reported to www.funimation.com/support.

• @saw2814:

Once I finally get English audio the app try's to force English subtitles on me about half the time as its next weirdness (settings have subtitles off by default already).

Those are closed captions. ^_^ The reason you see it "about half the time" is because not all videos have closed captions. You can turn them off by tapping on the video player and then on the CC icon. Then set the setting to "off". They'll stay off until you turn them back on.

• @Sophie:

This issue was introduced after we launched. If we had had a beta, no one would have encountered the issue either.

Ok, so that's this issue. What about the others? TGA, myself and others all have very valid complaints that this app is not "release-ready."

Every issue we bring up is met with an excuse rather than a fix. "We know about it, and we're working on it" would be reasonable if we were in a beta period, and yet here we are 2 months after release and the app is still broken in a lot of ways.

I'm trying my hardest to think of any excuse you might give us that doesn't warrant a response of "that's what a beta is for," or "don't set a deadline you can't meet with a complete, bug-free product." Seriously, if you can tell us why a beta wasn't warranted, and why releasing the app in the state it was (and still is) in was OK, we'd love to hear it.

For some people the new app is "better" than the old app, and for some it's "good enough," but the one consensus just about all of your (vocal) paying customers have is that the app is disappointingly incomplete in one way or another.

Looking at where we are now with this app, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Funimation falls into the category of thought that the app is "good enough." But how can you guys really think that way?

How do you think it looks to a new subscriber when they sign up for $8/month and are immediately welcomed to Funimation with numerous glitches, bugs, and most critical of all (and I'm baffled you guys apparently don't have this as a top-level priority ticket) a lot of missing series/episodes? How do you think it looks to those minty-fresh subscribers who come to the forums looking for answers only to be met with post after post after post that these issues have been around since day one which was months ago, and they aren't getting fixed?

More importantly (because I'm rightfully biased) how do you think it looks to the tenured subscribers who remember the old app was terrible as well, but at least it had all the shows/episodes in the languages it was supposed to? How does it look to us that we were told how much better the new app would be and in in reality we traded one broken app for another?

If there had been a beta back in December, or January, how many of these issues would we have discovered? Could they have been fixed by May? If the answer is no, then the app clearly wasn't ready to go in March. And if you are wanting us to believe that these issues only could have manifested after release then, because we are paying for a service that is supported by this app, we deserve an answer why these issues aren't fixed two months later and what your plan is to get these issues fixed in a timely manner.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. The bottom line is you guys put out a rushed product because you were more concerned with launching FunimationNow, than you were with launching a quality product. FunimationNow is supposed to launch this month in the US, and whether you'll say it or not, we are all thinking it because we know it–this app will not be fixed anytime soon.

If only you guys had done a beta, problems could have been fixed. We could have gotten by with the old app until this one was actually ready to go.

I know I say I want answers to my complaints, and here we all deserve answers, but to be honest the more we keep getting told "we know about it, and we're fixing it," (despite what time and history tell us) the more patronizing it gets. We aren't stupid, and we don't choose to be pessimistic, but can you really blame us?

• @Sophie:

This issue was introduced after we launched. If we had had a beta, no one would have encountered the issue either. Regardless, though, the issue is being worked on. The way to bypass is to set your audio preference to the language you want to watch. If you still are unable to watch the episode in that language, then it's a content issue, which can be reported to www.funimation.com/support.

@dougswisher:

Ok, so that's this issue. What about the others? TGA, myself and others all have very valid complaints that this app is not "release-ready."

Indeed, I was talking in general terms; not this issue specific, but everything that has happened thus far.

• I agree with both you guys this app shouldn't have been released at leat not with out a beta tag on it but since they are pushing it as a stable app I'm going to keep complaining my mine problem is the video freeze and the audio skip back issue it's not too bad when it's one or twice per episode but when it happen 10-15 times in a 30 min ep that's unacceptable also the amount of data this app uses is ridiculous I can stream a 3+ hr baseball game in HD and 60fps with the same amount of data of a 30 min episode takes in this app

• I signed up last month anticipating an Apple TV release. I dislike air playing content to my Apple TV's but figured I could handle doing so till the Apple TV app came out. Then I started encountering the bugs many users have mentioned with the mobile app. My content wouldn't play in my language and when attempting to change it from Japanese to English the app would just crash. Then I ran into issues of out of sync audio when it did play. On top of that the queue is horrible in tracking your currently watched shows so I would leave the funimation app logged in just to remember which episode I was on. My account was up for renewal so I just canceled my subscription.

• I'm really wondering why it's taking 2+ months to fix the bugs. I mean most of them were reported when the app was launched, March 7 :P

• To be honest, I've ditched the app in favour of the website. The queue was taking too long to load, the 'recently watched' wasn't updating correctly, a series that I hadn't added was firmly ensconced in my queue with no way to delete it, and, when I tried to watch a dubbed episode of "Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn", I got another show entirely.

Perhaps these and the many other issues that others have will be fixed, but I'm going to stick with the website.

• Maybe just abandon the stupid mobile app because who the hell is watching anime full episodes on their phone? And just release the apple tv app already and then work out the bugs on that instead

• @ahkiva:

Maybe just abandon the stupid mobile app because who the hell is watching anime full episodes on their phone?

Presumably the ones who download the app to their tablets

• @ahkiva:

And just release the apple tv app already and then work out the bugs on that instead

No. Have you not been paying any attention? You don't release the app THEN work out the bugs, because when you do that and are either uninterested or incapable of fixing them in a more than reasonable amount of time, you get where we are now.

Funimation needs to fix what's broken before releasing on new platforms.