Why is it, "You Should be Watching" High School Fleet?

• This show has been a sequence of disappointments… and for some reason, is becoming "unwatchable". If someone could please enlighten as to why I should force myself to watch this show, please do so.

First of all the Funimation description of this show was absolutely misleading (the definition of "click bait"):

@FUNimation:

Akeno Misaki and Moeka China share one goal—to join the Blue Mermaids! A group of fierce women, the Blue Mermaids are key to keeping peace among the seas and coastal cities in this age of maritime trade. To be a part of this elite group of sea protectors, they must succeed at Yokosuka"s Marine High School. Akeno and Moeka, together with their classmates, will take the plunge to become Mermaids!

Absolutely horrible mislead by FUNimaiton. One would logically read this as mermaids=mermaids (the mythical creature), when in fact they are simply talking about joining a Japanese Self-Defense Force style navy.

Then to the show itself. A bunch of girls running boats. Some "force" trying to frame some of them, and apparently with all of the advanced technology (future-based series) that exists on planet Earth (uh, observational/spy satellites, for one) apparently no one knows WTF is going on (other then the bad guys, of course).

Then, there are the battles themselves. I am no naval expert, but the combat scenes so far seem "a bit fishy". IDK how a small ship outmaneuvers everything… unless the "bad guys" are allowing this to occur. I mean, they are like dodging every shell fired at them some how. It is like a bad NBC show, whereas the cops/bad guys can't land a projectile hit on each other for 20 min straight.

Finally, there is "Character Development", or lack thereof. Me not feeling it, and this is a bit unusual for an Anime. Whether the girls "live or die"... for once in a blue moon, I simply "don't care"...

Now maybe, if I forced myself to watch this show long enough, it will make sense. However, it is likely already half way over, and IDK why I wasted my life with it, in either case...

• @thegrandalliance:

force myself to watch

Don't.
    If you're not enjoying it, pitch it.

• @TIL:

Don't.
    If you're not enjoying it, pitch it.

Well, I like to give things a fair shot. Sometimes some series start horribly slow, but get real nice (so the wait is worth it). However, for this one, I am not "feeling it", as it were.

I was hoping someone here who seen manga or something, and knows more about it, could help with this aspect… in either case..

• @thegrandalliance:

Absolutely horrible mislead by FUNimaiton. One would logically read this as mermaids=mermaids (the mythical creature), when in fact they are simply talking about joining a Japanese Self-Defense Force style navy.

In actual fairness this description in itself isn't the fault of Funimation Entertainment. This seems to have been, for whatever reason, what they were doing with the marketing to make it seem like some sort of enviromental slice of life anime when it was actually about cute girls going into military stuff. Also, it isn't really Funi's fault on this account, because technically speaking they do NOT have the actual rights to this series, only streaming rights. Actual simulcast rights are from Aniplex of America, who you would probably know from Sword Art Online. For some odd reason Funimation recently starting streaming a couple of Aniplex simulcast series (ERASED, Durarara and Asterisk War) and High School Fleet is one of those titles. The description for the series is the same on the other outlets it is streaming on and was provided by Aniplex USA.

As for more info on the series, I can't really provide that. It's an Original series not based on any Manga/Light Novel source material so there's no real speculation or anticipation for where the show is going to go. Might be decent, might be AMAZING, might be meh, or it might be trash. Complete gamble at this point.

• @classyspartan:

In actual fairness this description in itself isn't the fault of Funimation Entertainment.

Well, unless they are under contractual obligation to the contrary, it is still their fault. The only thing they released so-far on this show was 1 paragraph on a news announcement for Spring. Whereas, for MHA, we got 1293847013247124 of post, emails, interviews; everything you possibly want to know about the show. Some sort of follow-up new post, forum or something; to clarify this show before it was released, Funimation (notwithstanding contractual obligations) are responsible for this, nevertheless…

@classyspartan:

This seems to have been, for whatever reason, what they were doing with the marketing to make it seem like some sort of enviromental slice of life anime when it was actually about cute girls going into military stuff.

Yes, indeed that characterization is very good one at that. I probably should add that to my list of "grievances", but alas…

@classyspartan:

For some odd reason Funimation recently starting streaming a couple of Aniplex simulcast series (ERASED, Durarara and Asterisk War) and High School Fleet is one of those titles.

…me thinks even Aniplex knew that this was coming, and didn't want to waste time their on it. So they gave "the trash" to someone else, in this case FUNImation. Even Aniplex as standards as what it will "concern" itself with, apparently...

@classyspartan:

Complete gamble at this point.

Indeed it is, indeed it is…

• @thegrandalliance:

Even Aniplex as standards as what it will "concern" itself with, apparently…

Oreimo begs to differ.

Technically speaking they haven't even dumped it on Funimation, they're still claiming rights and they're streaming it on other services as well too. They just seem to be streaming it and that's it. Not sure why this new business relation is the way it is but who knows.

• @classyspartan:

Technically speaking they haven't even dumped it on Funimation, they're still claiming rights and they're streaming it on other services as well too.

I should clarify my statement… "dumping" means making someone else do all the work, and they reap all the $$$. Whereas, if it something they want their name associated with, they do the all work "first party" or otherwise. This show isn't supposedly going to be dubbed, either.

Of course they have the rights, but as you can agree, this isn't a "premium" license; so the fact Funimation has it at all, means something, to say the least.

In either case, an "inconsistency", to say the least; for that we can agree...

• @thegrandalliance:

One would logically read this as mermaids=mermaids (the mythical creature),

Nope, not me.

• @TIL:

Nope, not me.

Alas, it is /easymode to say that after the fact; after when the show has been released, and you already know the answer, TIL Nobu. Indeed, where were you before 9/11? Working for Al Qaida? You must have seen that one coming, too… :)

Or, maybe you are simply "a time traveler" and knew the answer beforehand; perhaps this is your spaceship?...

• @thegrandalliance:

Indeed, where were you before 9/11?

I was home in bed after working all night. -.-zZ

@thegrandalliance:

maybe you are simply "a time traveler" and knew the answer beforehand

Or maybe my reading comprehension is better; hard to say, really. =^_^=

• @TIL:

Or maybe my reading comprehension is better; hard to say, really.

Indeed, "Classy" as always, TIL Nobu…

@TIL:

Thankfully, I'm classier than that.
    Usually.

…don't ever stop being AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME! :)

https://youtu.be/StTqXEQ2l-Y

• And "Peace" on you too, TGA. ^x^

• I like it. I don't think its amazing or anything, but I haven't been bored yet. I was expecting something like Girls und Panzer, and it is, just not as good. I'm not a naval expert either, but some of it is probably accurate, as they did hire the guy that was the military advisor for Strike Witches, GuP, Upotte and a couple other shows

• Not going to lie, based on the description, I was expecting something similar to No-Rin (I'm really not sure why though) which I thought could be funny. I will admit I wasn't sure if it had magic or not. It's very.. interesting so far. The battles do seem too easy. That sub they fought sucked. Also, everybody has stormtrooper aim on the other boats. Granted, I think the other boats have been from other schools so they might have been on the path to flunk out. At this point the main thing the show has going, in my opinion, is I love the admiral. That cat is cute and funny. Really want to poke its stomach.

• @Getchman:

probably accurate, as they did hire the guy that was the military advisor for Strike Witches, GuP, Upotte and a couple other shows

Well I am not talking about the technical (fire this torpedo, do this action)… simply talking about the plausibility of it such. They were up against various ships, all massively outmanned, and yet they take no serious dmg. Either it is by design, or horrible writing for this Anime, it is so...

• the cringe… >0<