Top 10 Anime You Watch This Year
As the title says what are your top 10 anime you watch this year
now this doesn't mean anime that were released this year. It could been a anime that was released back in 2002 but you didn't watch it tell this year
So here my top 10
10.Shigurui Death Frenzy
4.Black Blood Brothers
2.Heaven's Lost Property
1.Welcome To the N.H.K
I don't really have a top 10 perse, but I've enjoyed…
- Little Witch Academia
- Kill La Kill
And on the dub side of things One Piece on Toonami has been a fun watch.
- Little Witch Academia
10. Attack on Titan - I wasn't blown away by this show like everyone else. I don't get the hype with shounen-battle anime in general, but I liked the dystopian themes. And the soundtrack was pretty awesome.
9. Inuyasha the Final Act - If only the first run of the series had been this concise and polished. Maybe I'll get a nice remake someday.
8. Maoyuu Mao Yuusha - Arms makes an anime not about boobs! Well not entirely, anyways. Giving the series the ol' Berserk ending(spoilers: there isn't one) hurt it a lot, but it was interesting and relatively ambitious.
7. Scrapped Princess - Technically a rewatch, but it had been so long that it might as well have been the first time. I like the way the story evolves in scope and theme without being too jarring. The characters are likable, and the world is interesting. Sort of an underrated relic that was sadly overshadowed by a certain anime about a one-armed alchemist that aired not weeks after it.
6. Koi Kaze - Awkward Guilt: the Anime. Hoo boy, this thing is not for the faint of heart. Not because it's violent, or dark, or all that intense, but because of how frankly it addresses its subject matter. Incest isn't something I have any particular problem with, as a narrative theme anyways, but this show culminates in a moment so squicktastic I could only stare blankly at my monitor and yell "eewww".
5. Simoun - Usually one of few answers to the question "Is there yuri anime that's not trashy?" Simoun is probably one of the best anime that nobody has bothered to watch.
4. Psycho-Pass - The anime lovechild of Ghost in the Shell and the Minority Report. The Urobutcher takes a few pages(okay, a lot of pages) from George Orwell and Philip K. Dick, to deliver a gritty, intense and reasonably intelligent crime thriller.
3. Railgun S - This sequel cemented Misaka Mikoto as one of my favorite anime heroines ever. Watching her struggle against a fate she couldn't stop, face an enemy she couldn't beat, and have her pride almost literally blow up in her face added so much depth to what was already a fairly complex character.
2. Monogatari Second Season - Yeah, I know its not over yet, but at this point I don't think there is anything this show could possibly do to warrant not being at least #2 on this list. Every character, every story arc, every theme, every thing that this franchise has built up has reached new heights and taken on entirely new context in this season. I used to think that Bakemonogatari was just a harem show in a fancy disguise, but I was dead wrong. This show a scathing, merciless satire of moe tropes, and it is brilliant.
1. Eureka Seven - It was hard to top monogatari for this year, but in terms of pure sumblime entertainment, E7 just edges it out. I love almost everything about this. Eureka Seven is a fun, and remarkably ambitious entry into its genre. It has a lot to say, and articulates in a way that is equal parts simple and meaningful. Aside from some minor pacing issues(I feel the show could have been 39 episodes), a bit of overwrought drama, and a few logical inconsistencies(Eureka‘s entire existence doesn’t make a ton of sense in the long run), I don’t really have any major problems with this show. It is definitive proof that “fun” and “thoughtful” are not mutually exclusive, and I think that it’s a testament to what shounen action/adventure anime can strive to be.
I'll do just shows that premiered in 2013, including the ones airing currently since I already have a pretty good idea of how I'll rate them
- Love Lab
- Suisei no Gargantia
- The Devil is a Part-Timer
- Golden Time
- High School DxD New
- Tokyo Ravens
Fall has pretty much delivered compared to the other three seasons this year. You may or may not be able to figure out what kind of shows I prefer
1. Code Geass
2. Gundam 00
3. K (K Project ; Project K)
4. Hataraku Maou Sama!
6~ 10: mostly just airing shows or my old fandoms that resurface
Those are my top 5 the rest change quite a bit with every new season, but my love for these five series are still going very strong.
In no specific order:
Sword Art Online
Inuyasha/Inuyasha: the fInal act
Magi the Labyrinth of Magic
Blazblue Alter Memory
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
Do I have to really choose? Ok…
1. Detective Conan. I got hooked ... I tend to watch as much of a season in one go as I can. Then to find out Funimation stopped at Season 5 and there's about another 18 to go.... For me this is why it's my number 1.
2. Eden of the East. Overall a very intriguing series... it's open to expand further, though with this series I haven't checked to see if there was more released than what Funimation has streamed.
3. A Certain Magical Index / Scientific Railgun. To me, one's a spin off from the other and I don't know which... The storylines for me did it... if I can get into Harry Potter and put to the back of my mind that this is a teenage boy... then I did the same for Misaka and co.
4. Hellsing. This is a series that took me a while to get into, and I'm glad I stuck it out. Alucard is IMO the best vampire since Dracula.
5. Sgt. Frog. It's one of those titles that my son found on Netflix and got me hooked. It's silly, stupid and a good laugh. This is one show where I feel the English language (dub) was better than the Japanese language release, but then I might be jaded since I saw the dub first. He then delved into Soul Eater, but it's not on my top 10 list for anime I have watched this year.... though it's a good show!
6. Log Horizon. Yes, it's still going on... but this is a show that got me... I prefer to watch shows with more adult characters in them, and Log Horizon has just that. What is Shiroe going to do now he owns the Guildhall? It's still playing out in my head all the various possibilities, and because I'm viewing it not in one sitting... yep... I like it.
7. Rosario + Vampire. Yep, it's a school boy surrounded by beautiful girls ... not a show I want to be caught watching by my boys! But it's just darned funny, romantic, and dramatic. Enjoyable, despite the T+A that are in there.
8. Arpeggio of Blue Steel. Another show I found on a different service, that's still airing out. Will Gunzo and Iona make it to the USA? Can humans and The Fog find a way to co-exist? I don't know! Last episode is keeping me hanging!
9. C- Control. Overall I liked it. It's been a while since I watched it but the closest to a Black Card I'm going to get is at work!
10. The Devil Is a Part Timer! ... only the one series so far, but it flips things around - bad is good, good is bad... is Satan really bad? Not in our world....
Yet there are shows I just couldn't get into. Birdy the Mighty (didn't get it)... FLCL (too whacked out)... Glass Fleet (didn't like the beginning storylines)... Welcome to the NHK (similar thing.. first couple of episodes I couldnt get into)... Red Data Girl (went on slowly I drifted to sleep)... I Couldn't become a Hero so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job (wasn't my cup of tea)...
There's other shows I can list here I liked - but these listed were the ones that stand out in my mind at this time.
7. Rosario + Vampire. Yep, it's a school boy surrounded by beautiful girls … not a show I want to be caught watching by my boys! But it's just darned funny, romantic, and dramatic. Enjoyable, despite the T+A that are in there.
If you like Rosario + Vampire i really recommend to watch heaven's lost property (aka Sora no Otoshimono) . It's anime about perverted teenage boy, who desires to live a peaceful life, but encounters a falling girl with wings who becomes his servant. It's a Drama, Fantasy, Romantic comedy show. Btw it's on Netflix
Top 10 for this year, um…
Guilty Crown (my favorite! love the visuals, characters and story)
Heaven's Lost Property (its hilarious! definitely pervy but Tomo is caring and all the main characters compliment each other well)
Good Luck Girl (just bought this last week and its great. I love this time if comedy)
Madoka Magica (this was under the radar for me. Really glad I found it, some trippy stuff lol)
High School DxD (couldn't get enough of this series. Now I just need the Season 2 dub)
Kill Me Baby (don't know why I like this anime so much but i do!)
Sword Art Online (found this anime thanks to Neon Alley, love it)
Accel World (another thanks to NA, it was nice to see a different kind of male lead)
Phi Brain (I'm just waiting on Season 3 :) )
The Future Diary (twisted & pretty bloody, wish this had a bluray release)
Black Lagoon & Roberta's Blood Trail
... Plenty more.
@mw: glad to have another conanite among us. And yea, sad Funi stopped dubbing the anime, but at least we still have the manga from viz!
Speaking of manga, you should check out the R+V manga series! It's 10x better then the anime!
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Blast of Tempest
Attack on Titan
The World God Only Knows Season 3: Godesses
Highschool DXD New
Rozen Maiden: Zuruckspulen
Red Data Girl
Stuff that ends later this year which might also join the list:
Arpeggio of Blue Steel
White Album 2
3.Heaven's Lost Property seasons 1&2 and the movie
5.Magic User Club
6.Baka to Test
8.Sword Art Online
10.Pani Poni Dash
These are the animes that I watch during the year of 2013.
2013 top ten
1. Gurren Lagann
2. Steins; Gate
3. Attack on Titan
4. High school DxD
5. Black Lagoon
7. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
8. Hanasaku Iroha
9. The world god only knows
10. Spice and wolf
Damn! I forgot to mention Monogatari! Definitely ranks in the top 3 IMO!
Well its a new year 2014 so id have to say Fairy tail, Shakugan no Shana and Amnesia
Especially want to thank Renzokuken. I'd kind of gone right on by Eureka Seven, but might reconsider. And I'd never heard of Simoun. Checked out more info and some reviews and think I'll take a look. Wouldn't have happened if you hadn't taken the time to post.
But thanks to everyone, the posts help to make sure that people don't miss some good stuff!
WOW the NHK was actually really good. im probably going to watch the rest of the stuff you talk about. NHK was really that good
8. Welcome to the NHK (dubbed)
7. Fairytale (dubbed)
6. Kill la Kill
5. The familiar Zero
2. The Devil is a Part timer
1. Ben to
Also want to add Norigami and Kamisama Kiss bc apparently I'm greedy and need 12
what about attack on titan?It's pretty good.
2.Gekkan ShÅjo Nozaki-kun
I've watched quite a bit of anime this year, way more than i have in the past but my top 10 that I've seen this year have to be
1.Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary)
2.Attack on Titan-Haven't watched all the episodes yet cause i only want to experience it in dub first but i have read the manga so i know everything that happens.
3.Phantom: Requiem For the Phantom
10. Btooom!(I'd really like to see this series completed with a second and possibly 3rd season)
And Hunter X Hunter 2011 sorta falls into this cause i started it watched like 70episodes right before the new year and then caught up with the rest of the series in about the last 6months. I'd have to rank this as 2 or 3, but didn't know how this would fall into this since its basically half and half.
Oh, really? And why has Funimation not added the Brave Series (Sunrise) to their anime titles? Because they only do 'Modern' Classics like DBZ and Code Geass. Now, if they got 'GaoGaiGar' and successfully dubbed the series, A lot of mecha anime fans would watch it. In fact I can back that up too.