A Request to Darthrutsula: Our Resident "Hyperdimension Neptunia" Expert…

• According to IGN, it appears that Steam is having a big sale on Anime titles this weekend… including the PC version of the "Hyperdimension Neptunia" franchise.

I have been looking and therefore "interested" at this for awhile now after watching the series, but not yet sure whether I should commit the time/money to the game series. Nor where to begin even. Given the price it is at now: Now would be the time to buy, and thus I was wondering if you could advise as to such.

To others here: There are a bunch of other Anime titles on sale on Steam as well… if anything catches your fancy feel free to post. Sale ends on Monday.

https://youtu.be/Np2QJ9ZoWn4

• start with Hyper-dimension re;birth1. It's the first game with a complete makeover and better voice acting I'm halfway through that one, and would probably have finished it if I hadn't started playing WoW again. Its a pretty easy game when you get the hang of it, but it requires a lot of grinding because you will have your ass handed to you by the bosses if you aren't prepared. Fully voiced in Japanese, partially voiced in English

• @Getchman:

start with Hyper-dimension re;birth1.

Should I just buy all of the re;birth line games, as they are also on sale… as they continue the story I presume?... Some of the Wikipedia description seems to indicated some of these games go off in different directions, so a bit confused as to such nonetheless. Further, supposedly the Anime is separate from the game line as well.

• yeah, each re;birth is a remake of the original three games (Neptunia, Neptunia mk2 and Neptunia victory). As far as I know they are pretty much the same games, with some minor characters removed, so you are getting the same story. I don't know if each game is self contained story, or a grand adventure broken into multiple parts, but I'd buy them all. The anime, from what I'm told, is a combination of all three games

• All three of the mainline games have their strengths and weaknesses. Rebirth 1 is more of a standalone title since its story is not really shared with the other three games in the series (Megadimension is the fourth but its PS4 only right now).

Rebirth 2 is definitely best if you don't really like to read the script since its all voiced over but its also the game that is like the least "faithful" to the japanese dub, mainly with Neptune she's like a meme machine in R2. I personally liked it because it was all voiced over. But the amount of endings there are constantly replaying the game gets annoying so if you aren't going to be a completionist all you really want to play is the conquest ending and the holy sword/true ending. Conquest… let's just say brought a lot of people to tears. This game is really heavy on the anti-piracy theme btw.

Rebirth 3 is definitely best after you've played one of the other two games. Rebirth 1 is great for getting to know the main CPUs (Vert Noire Blanc and Neptune) Rebirth 2 is great for the candidates (Rom Ram Uni and Nepgear). The dub in rebirth 3 is about the same amount as R1 where a decent chunk is voiced but not all of it. But its story is definitely good. And I absolutely love Plutia's VA. Its comical with the right amount of serious. Though I believe R3 is the longest out of the 4

The anime I don't think had anything to include from Rebirth 1, but the other two games were definitely there but the games do a better job with the story. But if you want to just test the waters and see what it's like, go with R1 since its self-contained.

Oh and expect LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS of game references with a good amount of anime too, and maybe some really good laughs. MAGES. is my favorite non-cpu character and you'll understand why in R1.

• Very good then, that is what I was looking. I appreciate the detailed report; expect nothing less from "The Expert" :)

One last point, as to the "Spin-Offs" I see on Wikipedia such as:

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
    Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

…these are the PC ones... what opinions you on them? Also, based upon the Wikipedia description, it is almost as if Action Unleashed is the continuation of the Anime (a peaceful world vs violent one); but alas, I am not certain...

In either case, "heaven's willing" of course; I have some "work to do" next month, as it were. In either case, when it comes to "console wars"... we all know "who is greatest" of course...

• @thegrandalliance:

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
    Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

Devotion had a lot of meh - bad reviews and I can largely understand why. But I haven't really played too far in it, I don't like chibi so…. Also lots of people didn't like "you" as a character (where you are assumed to be a he) it also was fan-servicey and people didn't like it, I particularly don't care if everyone is kissing each other but I can see why it would bother some. I'm okay with SRPGs but I gotta be in the mood to play them.

Action unleashed is a lot more shorter and is super easy. Also if you are familiar with Senran Kagura.... yea that's action unleashed. Musou style clothes ripping game. I will say though, I had two of my hardest laughs from HDN come from this game (one towards the beginning playing as the candidates, the other towards the end when you get to the tower). I enjoyed it because I can appreciate a musou game, I can just sit back, relax, and slaughter but AU is too easy when you figure out how to strafe and attack, everyone but Blanc and Famitsu have attacks that infinitely string.

I like the Idea Factory titles (this includes Trillion and Fairy Fencer F) because they aren't stories that are around a high school of some sort or with characters high school aged saving the world. I love the symbolism and interactions between characters.

I should also add that as of recently, the only games I could actually sit down and play have been League of Legends and Hyperdimension Neptunia. HDN had me as a fan the moment I played the first game.... last year xD

In addition my play times, according to steam, for the three rebirths are 67 44 35 for 1 2 3, I got all of the achievements for the first two rebirths and only played through the true end on the third, after doing all 9 in R2 I just.... yea. In rebirth 1 I bought the DLC and got everyone to 999 and did those last two coliseum fights and oh my god those took for-friggin-ever. Uni and Blanc MVP (blanc tanked while uni stood from range and blasted away).

Also R3 was so big that the game barely fit onto the Vita cartridge so all the non-main characters had to be added as DLC, that should tell you on why there was so much in R3.

• @darthrutsula:

Action unleashed is a lot more shorter and is super easy. Also if you are familiar with Senran Kagura…. yea that's action unleashed. Musou style clothes ripping game.

LoL yes, I am aware of the series; haven't played the game but did watch the Anime. Was most "interesting" nonetheless..

@darthrutsula:

I should also add that as of recently, the only games I could actually sit down and play have been League of Legends…

Well, I would still be "LoL'ing" even to this day if not for them "retconning" the entity of the core lore into oblivion. Such traitorous actions cannot go unpunished! :)

In any event, I do believe that sums up me questions on HDN therefore. IN theory later this year I intend to procure a PS4 in anticipation of some "Hastune Miku" games coming out, alas until such time I will have to wait on the other JPRGs.

I have been kinda "out of the loop" console game wise since 2006; ever since the Wii came out, as evidenced on another thread. So I probably missed out on some good games since then. In either case, there is still time to catch up I suppose, as it were…

• @thegrandalliance:

I have been kinda "out of the loop" console game wise since 2006; ever since the Wii came out, as evidenced on another thread. So I probably missed out on some good games since then. In either case, there is still time to catch up I suppose, as it were…

My family has owned every console from NES and beyond at some point in my life except for the PS3. So I started as an HDN fan from PC.

OH! Another thing, you might get some crashes from the HDN games (namely rebirth 2) only way I got around them was… keep trying to play xD Especially in the very beginning, because it has to do with the way the events are so once you get out of the first fight you could easily circumvent it all by going into a non-event dungeon leave and go into the dungeon you need to go. And with Stella's dungeon, if you want it to go fast, change your PC's system time, HDN doesn't ping the interweb so it just uses your PC's clock. R3 has framerate drops which shouldn't be too annoying since its not quick-time reaction based gameplay, it may look odd but you can still play.

And the Miku game? Yea I can't wait for August, I can't stand playing Diva F 2nd on my vita, its so uncomfortable.

• @darthrutsula:

And with Stella's dungeon, if you want it to go fast, change your PC's system time, HDN doesn't ping the interweb so it just uses your PC's clock. R3 has framerate drops which shouldn't be too annoying since its not quick-time reaction based gameplay, it may look odd but you can still play.

And the Miku game? Yea I can't wait for August, I can't stand playing Diva F 2nd on my vita, its so uncomfortable.

Indeed, although there are 2 MIKU games this year… personally the one I care most about is "Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone", which is supposedly gonna be the port of the arcade game with all the 300 whatever songs of course…

In either case, all good advise. Alas, one final q... in regards to your signature:

Neptune best grill.

…should I know what this is? Perhaps a better q: Will I find out?... :)

• Though I can't really preview how the img is shared, all I get is a thumbnail I have to right click > view in new tab in order to see the image, am I doing this wrong? This isn't the only img I notice this on, however it isn't all the time though, anyone able to help me?

"Neptune is best grill"

Neptune is the protagonist of protagonists and grill is twitch.tv speak for girl. It means Neptune is best girl. Its most prevalent in Megadimension V2 but its definitely there in R3. She would be waifu #1 btw followed closely by Uzume. Though Xenovia from DxD is pretty high on my list as well as Mira Yamana from Trinity Seven.

• Post the link without the img tags… I will see if I can get it to work nonetheless... sometimes I noticed some browsers are sensitive (was having a problem before with Firefox).

In either case, I get it now. I know who Neptune is (that picture you got beside you of course). Wasn't aware of the internet term but it makes sense now, thanks ye.

...now I wait for me Domino's pizza. This 50% off everything coupon is rather valuable, I must say indeed...

• @thegrandalliance:

In either case, I get it now. I know who Neptune is (that picture you got beside you of course). Wasn't aware of the internet term but it makes sense now, thanks ye.

Actually the avatar is NEXT purple which is Neptune's most recent transformation from Megadimension Neptunia V2. Think of it like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan from DBZ but instead of Purple Heart its NEXT Purple. Blanc Vert and Noire also have one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-KH4rcOpw34QXJRNExqS1VmVEk/view?usp=sharing

• Yea but it is the same character/lifeform if I remember correctly. As like in the Anime; they have their "normal" form and "Goddess" form.

BTW the SKYDRIVE or whatever picture service you using… you need to get a direct link from the cite (that ends in a .jpg or otherwise). Else the user has to clink on the link; Microsoft does the same thing. Some sort of privacy function or otherwise.

Anyways, thanks for the work. Looks like I have some progress to make this weekend, it is so...

Ooo the Pizza is here...

• @thegrandalliance:

Yea but it is the same character/lifeform if I remember correctly. As like in the Anime; they have their "normal" form and "Goddess" form.

Yes but the way her personality changes so drastically it would be better to refer to her based on her form, it may not be as evident in the anime but in the perspective of the games its just better that way. Its even bigger with Plutia/Iris Heart and much more bigger with Peashy/Yellow Heart (if you know what I mean)

@thegrandalliance:

BTW the SKYDRIVE or whatever picture service you using… you need to get a direct link from the cite (that ends in a .jpg or otherwise). Else the user has to clink on the link; Microsoft does the same thing. Some sort of privacy function or otherwise.

Google drive <.<

• @darthrutsula:

Yes but the way her personality changes so drastically it would be better to refer to her based on her form, it may not be as evident in the anime but in the perspective of the games its just better that way. Its even bigger with Plutia/Iris Heart and much more bigger with Peashy/Yellow Heart (if you know what I mean)

Yea, as like in the Anime: They get all "Bitch Mode" there. Alas, I am simply referring to the observation they are indeed the same "lifeform", as it were; in either case. Sort of like an Animal transformation in the case of a druid (lets say WoW) or otherwise.

No matter, I follow ye in either case. Now I just need to login to my "real" computer later today, and get the action started :)

• @thegrandalliance:

Are you of a way I could fix it so that I could just use Google Drive rather than upload my pictures to something like photobucket or w/e?

• @darthrutsula:

Are you of a way I could fix it so that I could just use Google Drive rather than upload my pictures to something like photobucket or w/e?

IDK how to use Google Drive; if it is like Microsoft one, usually there is an option barried in there that lets you get a direct link to the picture (to "embed" it or otherwise). Without looking into it myself it is hard to remember it exactly, nonetheless in the case of Microsoft; I can show you what it is supposed to look like:

-The Elder Scrolls Online; Above Daggerfall Base, Cyrodiil (In Restricted Area)

• Hey Darth, got a new Q…

I noticed there is a like a ton of DLC for these games... should I buy about them now or later?... that is does the DLC affect early game play (like will playing from the start be better), or only end-game content?

Only concerned with the 3 ReBirth games for now...

EDIT:

Thinking I am gonna focus only on the first game for now, as to not "overcommit". I can always wait for later sales of course. In either case, there are a bunch of DLC for the first one (Rebirth:1) and not sure what to make of it, in either case...

• In R1 I didn't buy the DLC until after my two play-throughs, based on what i've read they give you some OP things, like Plutia and Peashy as characters. In R2 the DLC is part of the game so you can just face-stomp everything with Gehaburn. R3 I think had some early starter stuff that aren't wickedly OP (like the Gehaburn) namely the makers, they help A LOT. Largely they make Stella's dungeon quicker (where applicable) but otherwise they are mostly post-game stuff like increased level caps or things you need to build for the opieOP stuff.

Pretty much my logic was that its the same gameplay for all three games so I'm not really going to hate myself for not "challenging" myself in the later two rebirths, really I just played for story and didn't care about gameplay till towards the end when I wanted to get the achievements, that's when you actually need to play smart.

Think of the DLC like pay-to-win… a very cheap pay to win.

• @darthrutsula:

Think of the DLC like pay-to-win… a very cheap pay to win.

Ahhh really… LoL figures as much. Okay I will stand clear thereof; at least until I "beat" the game, in either case.

EDIT: Okay I bought the first one... gonna take me hours to download this so it be awhile. Thanks for the help :)

https://youtu.be/N-kG2tJDN28