Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (Dub)

• Well its finally come to a close…

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash Sub and Dub...

It ended pretty much exactly where I predicted it would corresponding with the Light Novel, at the end of the Second Novel. If you haven't read the English translation of the Light Novel here is a good one...
    https://grimgarthetranslation.wordpress.com/
    At this point the translation is up to the Siege at Cappamorti and its getting really good.

But that aside, I was really pleased with how this one turned out. Honestly I prefer the JP version over the EN version the voice actors show a lot of experience and natural flow in their dialogue, but honestly this one is also a very good DUB with the exception of the Yume character that at points just doesn't click with the actual animation of the character herself or its intents. I've talked about the various characters before in other posts.

The feel of the Dub is much warmer with regards to group cohesion, but the JP version just nails all the action scenes much better, and the characterizations are a little more accurate to the story itself. Though Ranta is a much more relatable character in the Dub.

Very good and powerful anime dealing with a fantasy environment where fantasy meets the REAL world, rather than the standard superhero type characters.

A very well done, yet artistic anime. Perhaps I will repost some of my previous comments in this thread and go into depth…

But for now... thank you for a very wonderful Anime from start to finish...

• I watched the first episode and it was okay but I didn't continue watching it.

• @Anthony:

I watched the first episode and it was okay but I didn't continue watching it.

Well you and TGA appear to be some of the few who did not like it, but it was one of the most popular series from last season.
    http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?10094-What-s-your-favorite-broadcast-dub

Still one cannot help what they do or don't like. So obviously I don't hold it against you.

This was the completion of the Dub version, the Sub version was the popular one which completed a couple weeks back.

• @Phoenixus:

Well you and TGA appear to be some of the few who did not like it, but it was one of the most popular series from last season.

Well in Anthony's defense….even when I watched the first episode of Grimgar....I kind of thought it was pretty bad. First few episodes were kind of eh before I realized what the show actually WAS.

It wasn't until around Episode 4 I actually got a glimpse at what exactly the show wanted to convey. It's not a perfect show, as I have some gripes with the various done to death light novel tropes, Ranta's kind of a dick, and Haruhiro's constant redundant narrations (seriously, she's trembling in very clear horror and he then says "I think she's scared" like COME ON MAN, do you work for the department of redundancy department?) and it definitely kind of moves at a bit of a slow pace if you're not quite used to that.

But the show did surprise me and improve later on being a kind of interesting tale of overcoming grief and trauma in a fantasy world. I did grow to like the characters and I feel that of the Broadcast Dubs this season, it was probably one of the strongest ones of the Winter Season, I was especially impressed with Ricco Fajardo as Haruhiro and Orion Pitts as Ranta. Solid dub, and a pretty surprisingly decent show.

• I liked the show a lot, I just wished it moved faster. They focus on goblins way too long before moving on to fight other creatures. It's almost as if they want to build this world up very slowly over multiple seasons. They hardly even touched on the real world stuff. Hopefully it will get another season and they can develop these themes further, as well as introduce more of the side characters who seem pretty interesting.

• @classyspartan:

Well in Anthony's defense….even when I watched the first episode of Grimgar....I kind of thought it was pretty bad. First few episodes were kind of eh before I realized what the show actually WAS.

I actually felt the opposite. I felt the show started out pretty strong, save for Ranta, who was far too anime for the real emotions the show was conveying. But over time I burned out with its staggered pacing, like it was lurching ahead and standing still several times. By the end of it, the only one I ended up caring about was Ranta, ironically, who was by far the most complex of the characters. Everyone else seemed straightforward in comparison, and I can't say I much cared for the thief/archer/priestess love triangle much, either

• @Phoenixus:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything…

@classyspartan:

But the show did surprise me and improve later on being a kind of interesting tale of overcoming grief and trauma in a fantasy world.

Exactly my point. Why this show is so ****ing predictable and pointless. I have already mentioned this in debates with Phoenixus… nonetheless this is simply a show that can be summed up as:

**OOOOOHhhoOO LOOK AT THE POOR LITTLE PEOPLE!

OOONOOoOO! SOMETHIGN HORRIBLE HAPPEN'ED TO THEM!

OOOH LOOK AT THEM GET STRONGER!

YEA, THEY SAVeZ THE WORLD!!! (Season 2; 3)**

-The End

@classyspartan:

it was probably one of the strongest ones of the Winter Season,

*Correction: Dimension W is the strongest. By like 1000 light years. Even made it to Toonami…

• @Riles:

I actually felt the opposite. I felt the show started out pretty strong, save for Ranta, who was far too anime for the real emotions the show was conveying. But over time I burned out with its staggered pacing, like it was lurching ahead and standing still several times. By the end of it, the only one I ended up caring about was Ranta, ironically, who was by far the most complex of the characters. Everyone else seemed straightforward in comparison, and I can't say I much cared for the thief/archer/priestess love triangle much, either

I actually did end up enjoying Ranta quite a bit as he proved himself as a capable fighter, and yeah I'll agree he definitely developed quite nicely throughout the series actually. He just kind of started out as the generic guy who, but the moments where it really did interest me was showing his actual horror at murdering goblins, alongside his abilities to haggle and his reluctance to feel attached ultimately showing he did care after all.

As for pacing, I won't lie yeah it felt pretty clunky. I got used to it eventually but yeah even when the show changes up it's arguably one of the show's largest sins….outside of some really weird choppy animation in the last parts of the series.

@thegrandalliance:

*Correction: Dimension W is the strongest. By like 1000 light years. Even made it to Toonami…

You know if you're gonna misquote me you might as well use the full context.

@classyspartan:

I feel that of the Broadcast Dubs this season, it was probably one of the strongest ones of the Winter Season, I was especially impressed with Ricco Fajardo as Haruhiro and Orion Pitts as Ranta.

I was referring to the dub itself, as being one of the strongest ones of the whole Winter Broadcast Season. I never said the show itself was the best of the Winter Season, only that I felt that it's dub was one of the best of the season. I figured that was pretty obvious in my post and I didn't need to clarify myself to someone as….."enlightened" as you are TGA.

• @thegrandalliance:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything…

*Correction: Dimension W is the strongest. By like 1000 light years. Even made it to Toonami...

Lol

My friend I liked Dimension W too…
    ...but quite frankly Grimgar slaughtered it in sales over in Japan... and ended up being voted tied for Second best outside of Assassination Classroom here... every forum I visited on Grimgar was buzzing and lighting up with 200+ comments per episode... while Dimension W could barely manage 70+....

(and that's not just the "legit" sites either... I was even watching the shadows)....

So while I will definitely liked Dimension W too... it quite frankly didn't even approach the popularity of Grimgar.

• @classyspartan:

I was referring to the dub itself, as being one of the strongest ones of the whole Winter Broadcast Season. I never said the show itself was the best of the Winter Season, only that I felt that it's dub was one of the best of the season.

Well, if you are splitting your original statement up; and only refer to the dub to such context, then claims that I "misquote" I suppose is fair enough. My assumption was the observation was mutually exclusive, that is both had to be true. In either case, my apologizes.

HOWEVER, even in such context: I will still stand my ground and state that indeed, it still isn't "the strongest dub", not even close.

"Dagashi Kashi" (dougswisper hates "midwestern Hotaru" of course) has Grimgar beat by 10,000 light years. The Japanese sub on Dagashi is almost boring by comparison. Although I suppose the dub is more tolerable then the sub on a relative scale: Phoenixus here is making the case that indeed, the Grimgar dub isn't nearly as good as objects appear in the mirror…

@Phoenixus:

So while I will definitely liked Dimension W too… it quite frankly didn't even approach the popularity of Grimgar.

You are forgetting Toonami: As indicated by another forum user (me forgets who), the viewership on that alone blows out the so-called "interest" on other sites. With a million or whatever viewers/week, the comparison is mute.

Alas, the demos are different. W is focused on "old people". Grimgar is a young, high school age population at best demographic. So trying to measure "which one is better" on a basis of "social media hits" or otherwise is more so a comparison of demographics then anything.

To a "young" population that has never seen "more good" Anime (in Japan especially; given the massive flood that exists), they probably think Grimgar is "the best thing ever". To people who have "been there, done that"; alas, perhaps not so much. Dimension W, on the other hand, is a Sci-Fi feature that admittedly requires some "brainpower" to understand, and thus isn't as approachable (especially USA market) then something that takes "3 brain cells", like Grimgar…

In the case of Japan... although I am not aware of the numbers: Japan is Japan. They like bad stuff sometimes, and completely overlook other ones that make hits in USA. We can debate the merits thereof if you wish, nonetheless Grimgar is a book>Anime, whereas Dimension W was more Anime-focused, therefore the Japan stats will reflect the difference in market exposure (how many people know about it) therefore.

As you may know, I am going to Japan later this year... perhaps I will investigate the matter myself, in due time...

• @thegrandalliance:

"Dagashi Kashi" (dougswisper hates "midwestern Hotaru" of course) has Grimgar beat by 10,000 light years. The Japanese sub on Dagashi is almost boring by comparison. Although I suppose the dub is more tolerable then the sub on a relative scale: Phoenixus here is making the case that indeed, the Grimgar dub isn't nearly as good as objects appear in the mirror…

I liked Dagashi's dub too, I was just in general more surprised and impressed with a lot of the more dramatic/emotional beats in Grimgar as well as how much I enjoyed certain performances. Different strokes for different blokes I guess.

@thegrandalliance:

To a "young" population that has never seen "more good" Anime (in Japan especially; given the massive flood that exists), they probably think Grimgar is "the best thing ever". To people who have "been there, done that"; alas, perhaps not so much. Dimension W, on the other hand, is a Sci-Fi feature that admittedly requires some "brainpower" to understand, and thus isn't as approachable (especially USA market) then something that takes "3 brain cells", like Grimgar…

Whatever you say guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWKYpy__lfA

• Dimension Walrus may have made it to toonami, but that doesn't change the fact that it fell apart as it went on and needed a more competent director. Kamei is a SoL director, not an action director. this show deserved better. I liked it, but my enthusiasm dwindled rapidly, and I enjoyed Grimgar far more than Dimwub.

-I'd like to note that I'm 28 and have been watching anime for over 10 years and MaL lists me having completed 1393 titles and I watch damn near every genre. Just in case you want to try and use that age thing against me, TGA

• TGA, I'm going to kindly ask you one more time to please stop insulting the intelligence of our forum users, okay? No more passive-aggressive comments, backhanded compliments, or sugar-coated insults. We get it, you don't like Grimgar. That's okay, but there's absolutely no need to make fun of those who do like it while romping around acting like you're some sort of "expert" when, quite frankly, you really aren't.

If you honestly cannot see anything at all wrong with how you're acting…. then I don't know what to tell you. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

TGA, I'm going to kindly ask you one more time to please stop insulting the intelligence of our forum users, okay? No more passive-aggressive comments, backhanded compliments, or sugar-coated insults.

Fair enough; as I can see how some of my statements could be viewed in a more "politically correct" manner, as "condescending". Nevertheless, if I took the time to explain everything properly without such "oversimplification", people will just get bored with the /walloftext and lose the meaning of everything.

In the interest of talking to a "general internet audience" as found on this site; by using focused "Twitter-140 Char style" language as young people insist upon these days, at least you "get it" in either case. One may not like it, but at least I don't have to write a 100-page essay either.

@Getchman:

Dimension Walrus may have made it to toonami, but that doesn't change the fact that it fell apart as it went on and needed a more competent director. Kamei is a SoL director, not an action director. this show deserved better. I liked it, but my enthusiasm dwindled rapidly, and I enjoyed Grimgar far more than Dimwub.

Well, I could draw comparisons to "Chaos;Head" which I did before. This show is a Sci-Fi one, and unless you understand the scientific principles they are trying to explore, the show itself can fall flat.

@Getchman:

-I'd like to note that I'm 28 and have been watching anime for over 10 years and MaL lists me having completed 1393 titles and I watch damn near every genre. Just in case you want to try and use that age thing against me, TGA

I am talking about the post Millennial generation… people born after 9/11 for the most part, who probably know nothing of the 1990s, nor even 2000s. This is especially true of Japanese. It doesn't mean there is something "wrong" with them, rather they haven't had time yet to discover "the classics". That was true for many people (including myself) when it came to discovering classic 1980s anime/video games. Until you have a proper understand on the history thereof, one may get a distorted view of such therefore.

That is, to use a gross example; if you were raised on "reality TV" in the case of USA, you probably never knew a time of "real TV". If you are young, you never knew a time that the Internet didn't exist. If you are slightly older, you never knew a time that TV/Cable didn't exist. This problem is simply that of one continuum of human civilization and its evolution, and therefore dislocations of knowledge are understandable.

They will learn, in time, hopefully of course... BTW my comments are especially focused as to Japanese, and not American demographics, for a set of technical reasons therefore... alas another discussion to be had.

• Dimension W wasn't great because it was incredibly convoluted and made little to no effort to explain itself as each arc became more and more complicated and reliant on a fourth dimension the show itself couldn't adequately comprehend, much less explain

• @Riles:

Dimension W wasn't great because it was incredibly convoluted and made little to no effort to explain itself as each arc became more and more complicated and reliant on a fourth dimension the show itself couldn't adequately comprehend, much less explain

I will say that, at the very least, Dimension W was a really nice looking show. I really liked the art style.

• @thegrandalliance:

Fair enough; as I can see how some of my statements could be viewed in a more "politically correct" manner, as "condescending". Nevertheless, if I took the time to explain everything properly without such "oversimplification", people will just get bored with the /walloftext and lose the meaning of everything.

In the interest of talking to a "general internet audience" as found on this site; by using focused "Twitter-140 Char style" language as young people insist upon these days, at least you "get it" in either case. One may not like it, but at least I don't have to write a 100-page essay either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

• @Riles:

Dimension W wasn't great because it was incredibly convoluted and made little to no effort to explain itself as each arc became more and more complicated and reliant on a fourth dimension the show itself couldn't adequately comprehend, much less explain

Well, in comparison to Chaos;Head, this show was preety simple to understand. Basically the premise was that the 4th spacial dimension was a place whereas "everythingness" existed in some sort of state of uncertainty, and that what is realized is what exists in lower (our) spacetime. They referred to this concept as "unlimited possibilities". The energy/power they were able to get that powered all electronics was supposedly somehow capturing such other states of existence.

Also, it was suggested that doing so could interfere with the real world. That is, "stealing" power from this 4th dimension would create paradoxical causality problems in the normal world. That was the premise behind some of the "mishap experiments" that they referred to as well.

Unlike Choas;Head, this show didn't focus in on a specific theory, rather a combination (as I can forsee it) of the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and the "Many Worlds Theory" that is presumed.

Again, I could review the series once more and give a science lesson on this one… nonetheless the story for the season made perfect logical sense if the premise was understood. Indeed, as with most "true" Sci-Fi (and not just random flashy"bash'e bash'e, rocket sock'em" mecca) Anime, it requires the core scientific principles to be at least partially understood, or the story won't make any sense.

@classyspartan:

…..

Naw, its more of the "TL;DR" logic that exists with "young people". In the past when I took "the long route" and posted the wall of text, people would instead just troll and complain they didn't get it because it was "too long'. So instead, I simply decided that I should be "speaking to the audience": A mechanic of "good writing skills", supposedly. You don't publish a collage essay on philosophy to a bunch of 12 year olds and expect them to understand it, as it were.

Is this a good thing? Probably not, but alas I am realistic to such respects, and shall adjust accordingly.

• @thegrandalliance:

I feel like this is exactly what SMH is trying to tell you to stop saying, or at least i'm interpreting it that way.

@thegrandalliance:

You are assuming we all won't sit down to read a wall of text and keep our conversations down to just three sentences per exchange and something tells me none of the regular forum goers here aren't afraid to read… a lot. We're all adults here, you don't need to speak in a way that makes you sound arrogant. You can be arrogant all you want, but don't succumb to your hubris. Even if we are millenials, does that make our opinion any less valid than your's? Just because you think you're an "original" fan that automatically makes you bigger fan than we are? Because that's how you're making yourself come across.

• I guess you better give the science lesson, because the show pretty much described the W dimension like it was scientific magic and then doesn't elaborate while lakes turn into ghost monsters and a portal was opened after a ritual with a room full of sacrifices

I'm not going to read it, though, since the only way to understand it is to embrace a scientific concept that is already not grounded in any sort of logical reality. Relatively speaking, its scientific reasoning for Dimension W's existence is closer to a Grimgar fantasy than it is a futuristic sci-fi like Psycho-Pass

• @Riles:

I guess you better give the science lesson, because the show pretty much described the W dimension like it was scientific magic and then doesn't elaborate while lakes turn into ghost monsters and a portal was opened after a ritual with a room full of sacrifices

I was trying to get at that with my previous wall of text. Supposedly, one of "the numbers" (the devices used to capture the energy they get from Dim W) malfunctioned, or was used in a way to basically create an parallel universe. In that episode especially, that was supposed to be an "alternate possibility" that was created from the events of the flood whereas everyone didn't die. The ghosts weren't actually ghosts par se, rather there were the people if the flood didn't kill them.

From what I remember, they did at least try to explain most of these things in the show itself. I perhaps could explain this further (although not at moment; AFK: IRL); alas this storyline was simply to demonstrate one potential "mishap" that could happen if the numbers devices was misused. It provided some storyline as to why the main characters needed to collect them, and prevent "bad people" (as the series ended with) from using them to do "bad stuff".

Indeed, some of the concepts of this show are based upon theoretical reality… that is science as theorized by scientific theories. Not all of it is perhaps is actually real, nevertheless the concept of "Sci-Fi", it is so...

@darthrutsula:

You are assuming we all won't sit down to read a wall of text and keep our conversations down to just three sentences per exchange and something tells me none of the regular forum goers here aren't afraid to read… a lot.

It is not people like you I am concerned with. Alas, this is a public forum, and in theory anyone (including Obama) can read: You are not the only one reading, as it were. I am indeed talking to "multiple audiences" at the same time, in mostly everything I do. As evidenced in my defense of Funimation being called "garbage" for instance… trying to speak rationally to some people just doesn't work.

In either case, I assume the people who are "smart enough" (such as yourself) to get it will also be smart enough to look past the perceived condescension. Otherwise, I use a language "tone" that makes the point clear and concise to a general audience, and doesn't require a 12+ reading level to understand. It may sound harsh; if you have such a "thin-skin" as to not be able to shake it off as "pure literary hyperbole", then there is another debate to be had nonetheless…

Put another way, "TIL NOBU" gets it: He is actually really good at "countering" me. Also, "TheAncientOne" does as well. Simply try to understand my "nonsense" like them; my posts and life will go just fine:)

/fancylaugh