Is there anyway we can get subtitles while watching dub?

• I like to read what i would be reading on the sub version while watching dubbed anime. Netflix allows us to do it so i was wondering if Funimation could put a subtitle option while watching the dub. Im not talking about captions either, i want the subs id be reading if i was watching in japanese while im watching the dub. Please do your best to make this happen ^^

• Why do you want subtitles on while watching a dub?

• Once soft subs (like Netflix) are implemented, there's a possibility. Gotta' wait a bit more.

• I've heard the new Funimation video player allows for captions to be played. We'll just have to wait until the new site is released. I too would like to see this feature.

• @Anthony:

Why do you want subtitles on while watching a dub?

could be partially deaf

• @Getchman:

could be partially deaf

That's a possibility, or they could be the kind of person who likes to watch the dub and sub simultaneously to see the differences between the two.

• @SpacemanHardy:

That's a possibility, or they could be the kind of person who likes to watch the dub and sub simultaneously to see the differences between the two.

Are they not the same?

• They can be very different at times

• @Anthony:

Are they not the same?

Nope. Not at all.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Nope. Not at all.

Are subs or dubs more accurate? Didn't know they aren't the same, nice to know I guess.

• @Anthony:

Are subs or dubs more accurate? Didn't know they aren't the same, nice to know I guess.

Sometimes words have to be changed to fit the mouth movemets. Or in some cases they would change a word or phrase that wouldn't translate to English.

• Sometimes the sub can be very different from the dub. This happens a lot in comedy since Japanese humor doesn't translate well in English. Shin Chan is a great example of a show that is almost nothing like the original.

• @lcdude:

Sometimes words have to be changed to fit the mouth movemets. Or in some cases they would change a word or phrase that wouldn't translate to English.

Ive realized in a show that I recently watched that the words don't go with the mouth movements, so I can see why they change the words.

• @Anthony:

Are they not the same?

Na, but not only that… but the context can be completely different.

For example; in High School DxD Season 1 Episode 7... they encounter a dude who helps them pick a familiar. In Japanese it seems normal; in English, they have the guy rhyming every line. Thus creates a different "persona" entirely for that character in the dub. Indeed, this show made lots of modifications, by comparison to other series.

• @thegrandalliance:

Na, but not only that… but the context can be completely different.

For example; in High School DxD Season 1 Episode 7... they encounter a dude who helps them pick a familiar. In Japanese it seems normal; in English, they have the guy rhyming every line. Thus creates a different "persona" entirely for that character in the dub. Indeed, this show made lots of modifications, by comparison to other series.

I didn't realize they changed that much, that must mean they had to redraw some scenes. Or they worked it in so they didn't have to redraw. Either way it's a ton of work, didn't realize it up until now (dub and sub differences).

• @Anthony:

I didn't realize they changed that much, that must mean they had to redraw some scenes. Or they worked it in so they didn't have to redraw. Either way it's a ton of work, didn't realize it up until now (dub and sub differences).

They don't redraw anything. They simply write the dialog so that it most accurately matches the lipflaps.

And yes, it is a TON of work. Even the Japanese most of the time don't bother to match the audio sync as accurately as English dubbing studios do.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Even the Japanese most of the time don't bother to match the audio sync as accurately as English dubbing studios do.

One of the first things I notice, they are far more lax than we are. I remember when Sentai started dubbing again (I think specifically Daimao), they were off noticeably at times with the lip sync, and I thought they may be trying to emulate the Japanese style more.

Then again, haven't watched it in years, the timing sync could have just been off on my print. Think I had an entire disk of Eden's Bowy that was like that…

• @Unicron:

I remember when Sentai started dubbing again (I think specifically Daimao), they were off noticeably at times with the lip sync, and I thought they may be trying to emulate the Japanese style more.

I think that was less them trying to emulate how the Japanese did it and more Sentai being cheap and Steven Foster being a lazy f**k. :P

But yeah, if you watch any recent Sentai dubs, they've since gotten a lot better with their syncing. Still not as good as Funimation or Bang Zoom, but a lot better than they used to be. Back in the HOTD days, it's like they didn't even TRY.

• This post is deleted!

• @SpacemanHardy:

And yes, it is a TON of work. Even the Japanese most of the time don't bother to match the audio sync as accurately as English dubbing studios do.

Indeed, it is. The English dubs are very sensitive to that.

Personally, I could care less about "lip sync". Unless its a 3D animation like "Last Exile" or otherwise; the "flaps" are not that accurate by itself (bunch of random frames of animation), and I am usually not staring at their mouths the whole time. If it was off, I wouldn't notice it unless I took the brainpower to think about it.

…in either case, at least they try at that, no doubt about it so...

• It gets pretty hard to watch lips moving while reading subtitles too. O.o