…It Is So Decided!

• Finally confirmed a flight to Japan this summer… as I have been indicating for awhile I would. Was able to get a SEA>NRT using Alaska/Air Canada. It will be from Mid August-Mid September.

Anyways, now you know what I be doing then. Probably gonna be AFK from forums then as well, so you can get a break from me :)

BTW this isn't' my first rodeo. Indeed, this will be my 6th time going; currently have 9 months duration thereof in Japan. Would have stayed longer, but I "abused" the tourist visa one-to-many times, got myself into a bit of a tangle with Immigration thereof. Hopefully it will be okay this time...

I likely will update this thread with more relevant information as I get closer. In either case, if you have questions; need help yourself getting to Japan, or simply "want me to get you something": Feel free to ask.

UPDATE:

Indeed, as one can expect, I will be going to at least 1 Live MIKU event; the [url=
    Indeed, as one can expect, I will be going to at least 1 Live MIKU event; the "Magicial Mirai" convention in Chiba during 9/11 weekend. Also, there appears to be a symphony-style (classical music with MIKU as "The Conductor") in last week of AUG, that I am still trying to get tickets for (have to wait until general sales). In either case, be very interested nevertheless...]"Magical Mirai" convention in Chiba during 9/11 weekend. Also, there appears to be a symphony-style (classical music with MIKu as the "conductor") in last week of AUG, that I am still trying to get tickets for (have to wait until general sales). In either case, be very interested nevertheless…

UPDATE 2:

List of Cities I will be staying in hotels therefore:

Tokyo
    Wakayama
    Otsu
    Osaka
    Kagoshima
    Nagasaki
    Tokushima
    Kofu
    Aizuwakamatsu
    Aomori
    Sapporo
    Chiba

• What are you going to be doing in Japan?

• That's awesome! You will have to post some stuff on here once you get to Japan. I would be interested to see what kind of stuff you end up doing. At any rate, have fun!

• That is nice man! Make sure to tell us about it when you come back.

• @Anthony:

What are you going to be doing in Japan?

Not entirely certain; will be buying a 3-week JR Rail Pass… which I assure you is like gold there. Objective is to pop into many places as possible, culminating with the Bon Festival (Buddhist Mid-Summer Event). When I come up with something concrete I probably update this thread.

Will be going to the area hit by the Earthquake earlier this month… at least on way to Kagoshima. Really want to go to Fukushima, alas I think still is closed at moment; not certain. In any event, I intend to be mobile... although I will start and end the trip with a few days in Tokyo (as doing so otherwise would be mind-destroying).

I do need to find some Anime stuff though. I guess there is a few things I could do. If i went in September, I suppose I could have seen MIKU again... but alas :)

• @thegrandalliance:

I do need to find some Anime stuff though

Akihabara! _

• @the_krock:

Akihabara! _

Indeed, as I got quite the shopping list this time. The core store there "Sofmap" controls most things(their in-store music is legendary)… alas there are always smaller locations for other things. Only problem with Akiba (the abbreviation thereof): It isn't "pedestrian friendly". Nor would a non-Otaku even know it is "special" from the outside; no decorations, statues, significant artwork of any kind in general. It isn't like "Disneyland", as it were; also no park or otherwise "common area". It is all concerted inside the buildings... so it takes several days of "research" in order to map it out entirely.

This time though, reaaaaly thinking about the "maid cafes". You see them alot referenced in Anime; alas I have never been. They do exist, and well perhaps this time...

• @thegrandalliance:

Indeed, as I got quite the shopping list this time. The core store there "Sofmap" controls most things(their in-store music is legendary)… alas there are always smaller locations for other things. Only problem with Akiba (the abbreviation thereof): It isn't "pedestrian friendly". Nor would a non-Otaku even know it is "special" from the outside; no decorations, statues, significant artwork of any kind in general. It isn't like "Disneyland", as it were; also no park or otherwise "common area". It is all concerted inside the buildings... so it takes several days of "research" in order to map it out entirely.

This time though, reaaaaly thinking about the "maid cafes". You see them alot referenced in Anime; alas I have never been. They do exist, and well perhaps this time...

I think I read that somewhere else too that Akiba isn't as obvious as non-japanese otaku think it is (never been there myself or in Japan yet), but it's definitely on my list of places to go when I'll get to visit Japan.

From what I heard, food and "services" in maid cafes are quite expensive and you can't go there just to chill endlessly. I'm not saying that discouraged you though, I'm curious to see what it looks like too.

• @thegrandalliance:

-snip-

Can't wait until you update us etc :)

• Akiba is, uhhh…
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2015/10/12-1/feature-animegame-street-ads-in-akihabara-october-2015

Pretty easy to find anime stuff there.
    Last year when I was there, there was Love Live music pouring out of every store.
    Generally, most places that have anime stuff advertise it pretty well.

You should also look into the Animate Cafes when you go, particularly if you're going outside of Tokyo. They have different menus for different shows, and they change which show they're promoting every month or so.

(it says "Battou" (drawing sword)… it's a thing.)

Durarara!! one.
    They have food too.

You should also look up which shows you like are based on real places (any KyoAni thing, for one). Especially if you're going outside of Tokyo. In Tokyo, too, there's a lot of things to see in that way there.

• @Fiammetta:

You should also look into the Animate Cafes when you go, particularly if you're going outside of Tokyo. They have different menus for different shows, and they change which show they're promoting every month or so.

Yea it is all there. In my past 5 trips; 9 months, I amazingly found a way to "restrain my Otaku-ness" and never "participated" in such places. With the exception of Chiba prefecture (where Narita Airport is)… was dead set on trying to find the "source material" for "Ah! My Goddess" (referred to in-series as "Nekomi(Cat)-ken").

Part of it was probably embarrassment, I will admit. My Japanese isn't fluent, and of course being the 1 white guy there draws attention. I instead, focused my times on more "demographically appropriate" destinations, as it were.

Another problem was that me wasn't as much of a Otaku as a gamer… that is my knowledge of Anime at the time was years behind what was out in Japan Thanks to Funimation and the sort; and legal "simulcasts" now, of course my "knowledge is more complete" in 2016 then it was in 2009.

But indeed, all is on the table I suppose this time. Going all out this time.

• ^^; I wasn't embarrassed at all about going to anime places and geeking out. More in Ikebukuro than Akihabara, as it turns out. The crane games are easier outside of Akihabara (in major Tokyo areas, the Shibuya ones are the easiest.)
    And I wasn't intending to find the Durarara!! cafe in Osaka, I just sort of wandered into it ^
    ^; while I was going from the station to a temple I wanted to see.
    I did get excited recognizing places in Ikebukuro from Durarara!!….... and finding the subway station that's in the first episode of Code Geass (which is not hard, since it's right next to Shinjuku Wald 9 and Marui Annex... and Sekaido, which is a massive art supply store.)

^_^; but yeah, other things are nice, too. Like gardens, and shrines and things.

• @Fiammetta:

; but yeah, other things are nice, too. Like gardens, and shrines and things.

The "boring stuff" I know… :)

Indeed, although my purpose in Japan is to try to better understand it; of course in the end doesn't help worth a damn cause me still here in USA, no visa or otherwise to Japan, in either case...

• Those things aren't boring… well, I like them at least ^_^;

• @Fiammetta:

Those things aren't boring… well, I like them at least ^_^;

Yea no worries. I actually spent some time exploring the museums in Tokyo. Some are better then others; the History of the City of Tokyo museum is probably the best overall to "white people".

I sorta made that statement ironically… indeed I usually spend most of my time "on the boring stuff". Actually, was gonna go even more so into that realm this time around. Trying to understand Japanese people as best as possible, in either case.

Unfortunately the Bank of Japan is doing even more stupid things this week (Negative Monetary Policy; "Abenomics")... the Yen Exchange rate is falling; and if it is below 100 by July when I go spending stuff, this trip is gonna get 500-1000USD more costly it is so...

• UPDATE: Well it looks like I stupidly jumped the gun again… as can be seen here the "Magicial Mirai"; the "real" MIKU EXPO (including full 4-day anime-style convention) in Japan is during 9/11. They do live shows as well, but you have to "apply for tickets" (foreigners get select lottery tickets).

http://magicalmirai.com/2016/index_en.php

Good news is, I have until May 23 to apply (which I did); and will find out if I "win" on 27. Bad news is, probably would have to give up some of me $$$ to change me flights around. Stupid…

Cost of freedom, in either case. I better win the tickets... I need a "real" reason to go to Japan, of course:)

• So it's a contest to meet MIKU?

• @Anthony:

So it's a contest to meet MIKU?

No it is a convention/live performance. The exhibition tickets are like any other animecon, you buy them or whatever. However the live performances (like MIKU EXPO tour) are of course super rare (because there are 10 million+ hungry Japanese in Tokyo all trying to get there). So instead of "buying" the tickets like AMericans do (spam the website; sold out in 10 seconds), Japanese use a lottery system. YOu register for the lottery; if you win, you get a ticket.

For forengiers, they have a special lottery just for us. That is what me entered. If I win, it auto-charges me Credit Card. If not, supposedly no worries LoL. But yes, unlike MIKU EXPO… these tickets; dont' cost very much (<100), but VEEEERY HARD TO GET, it appears...

BTW for the record, me been spending last several hours learning MMD (MIKU MIKU DANCE), the animation program used for much of the videos you see. I suppose it makes sense once you figure it out... only problem is most of the content is in Japanese sites, so of course GOOGLE TRANSLATE==UR FRIEND...

• Well, I wish you good luck in winning! :)

• On the topic of Miku, last I remember you don't have a PS4 right TGA? http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-19/hatsune-miku-project-diva-series-gets-ps4-hdd-bay-covers/.102266 get a customized one! I'd get it if I didn't have Neptunia skin all over mine ;)

• @darthrutsula:

On the topic of Miku, last I remember you don't have a PS4 right TGA?

Yes, but if the E3 rumors are true… then that is a good thing. I wait for the PS4.5 or whatever; depending on what happens. I am looking forward to this year's E3, for once in many ages. Lots of stuff to research.

BTW this MMD this is complicated. The program itself is straightforward... but GL finding stuff to load into the program (objects) in English. Google translate only gets you so far, unfortunately. And what is worse, Japanese are living in the 1990's when it comes to HTML coding of their sites. Actually, that is like true with all of their tech these days...

I mean, tell me this site (where you download MMD) isn't 1990s. Even F***ing uses Geocites as a host... WTF?

http://www.geocities.jp/higuchuu4/index_e.htm

O wait I almost forgot: Japanese people still think Yahoo! is "useable". Funimation certainly agrees, apparently…

Indeed perhaps a reason to go to Japan. Need to make some "friends". Would help if I could actually fully speak Japanese though. Indeed, it does help loads if you are a "failure at life" like I have; with unlimited time on your hands, that is.

...well, at least I found something to do (that is potentially economical) finally, I suppose...