New Competition/Tournament Questions

• Hello to everyone reading this,

I'm going to start a new Competition/Tournament, but before I do I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you explain me the process, how do I decide the match ups (after I have gathered all the nominations).
    2. How will I create all 100+ threads at once? (Assuming there are going to be 256 spots). Is 256 to many for my first time creating a tournament?
    3. Will it be considered spam if I posts all the threads at once? (If I can manage to do that, I'm not sure how too)
    4. Can you tell me how to upload an image to the forums (like the other Competition/Tournament creators)
    5. Should I include a description for each nominee (once the voting starts).
    6. Should I keep the poll open for 1 day?
    7. Can I ask people to put a picture of the person they nominated as a spoiler? (To make sure it's eligible for the competition/Tournament)

I was also wondering if there was a schedule, because SpacemanHardy said he is waiting for the Amazon tournament to end, then he is doing his. Does that mean I will go after SpacemanHardy?

• @Anthony:

How will I create all 100+ threads at once? (Assuming there are going to be 256 spots). Is 256 to many for my first time creating a tournament?

Copy pasta and have multiple tabs.
    @Anthony:

Will it be considered spam if I posts all the threads at once?

Doubt it.
    @Anthony:

Should I include a description for each nominee

I would say it depends on the amount of challengers and your willingness.
    @Anthony:

Should I keep the poll open for 1 day?

That's up to you.
    @Anthony:

I was also wondering if there was a schedule, because SpacemanHardy said he is waiting for the Amazon tournament to end, then he is doing his. Does that mean I will go after SpacemanHardy?

Based on my understanding there is some sort of voting competition throughout the year, either Jaws or SMH have that schedule I believe. SMH does the manly man of manliness one which is after amazons.

What kind of thing did you have in mind doe?

• Okay thanks, and it's sort of similar to SpacemanHardy's competition (Or it could be the same I don't know, he hasn't responded). But what it's going to be about it the most handsome man. If it does end up being the same idea as SpacemanHardy's then I'm going to cry. But I don't think it is because his is about manliness and mine is about the most handsome.

• I'll chip in a bit later with my own tips, suggestions, and recommendations after I get off work. :)

• Thanks, I'll be waiting :)!

• I have a question then. Is anyone free to make a competition? I had an idea for one being best weapon/ability. It does seem like there are a lot of them, though, so I could see if that there might be too many to add more to the schedule at this point.

What do you all think? Would it be cool if I did one too (after all the others are done of course)?

• This post is deleted!

• @SpacemanHardy:

I'll chip in a bit later with my own tips, suggestions, and recommendations after I get off work. :)

Not sure if you are off work or not, but I see that you are online.

• @nubguy:

I have a question then. Is anyone free to make a competition? I had an idea for one being best weapon/ability. It does seem like there are a lot of them, though, so I could see if that there might be too many to add more to the schedule at this point.

What do you all think? Would it be cool if I did one too (after all the others are done of course)?

As a one off that'd be pretty cool but we all know that Accelerator and the Railgun of Tokiwadai both have the coolest and best abilities in anime.

• As the unofficial tournament coordinator around these parts, allow me to give some sound advice for everyone interested in creating their own event here on FUNi's forum.

• You have to know what you're doing. Posing several questions might be an indication that you're not quite ready yet.
    • Vote in enough tournaments before making your own. It's important to get experience from others and learn how they run things.
    • Create a schedule for yourself. Don't make a tournament that lasts too long (no more than a month and a half, I'd say)
    • Make a steady flow of matches per day. Not too many that overwhelm the forum, but enough so that the event goes by at a smooth pace.
    • Know what format and voting system you're going to use. Sometimes, it can't all be 1v1 matches if there are a lot of competitors.
    • Become experienced around the forums. Get to know how the polls work, etc.
    • Be diligent. Making too many big mistakes can throw your tournament off, and you'll likely lose voters.
    • Most importantly, stay dedicated. It's easy to lose interest in your tournament because it's too time-consuming or difficult.

Finally, the Voice Actor/Seiyuu tournament (run by yours truly) comes after Spacemanhardy's tournament, so anybody interested in making something new would have to wait until Fall. If anyone wants a spot saved, post what you would like to do and I'll give my thoughts on it.

• Thanks, the information helps :). My idea is the most handsome man in anime. Yes it might seem similar to SpacemanHardy's competition, but I went to look at his competition and my idea is not the same. My idea is more focused around men like Heath, Kyosuke, Sebastian, Kogami etc, I'm sure there are a ton more out there; but those are ones that come to mind.

• A bishi tournament, huh? If you're still interested and can find a way to get at least 64 nominations in late September, I can support that idea.

• Great ^_^ I'll start to get 64 nominations. It will take me some time though :)

• @Anthony:

Not sure if you are off work or not, but I see that you are online.

Sorry about that. Sometimes I leave my browser open, so it looks like I'm online when I'm not. I had a rough day at work, so I came home and crashed.

I think 7Jaws7 hit the nail right on the head: as a first-timer, don't let your first tournament be more than you can handle. I've seen a few folks here try to start one up, only to get discouraged after the very first round and abandon the entire thing. It's very time-consuming and a lot of hard work, but I can personally vouch that nothing brings these particular forums together quite like a nice, well-run competition.

Personally I'm just going to ape what Jaws said. I wouldn't make this tournament any longer than 64 characters on your first time through. It might also be a good idea to limit all competitors to one character per individual series. Whether you want to nominate the majority of the characters yourself or leave the entire roster up to the other forum users is up to you. From personal experience, my first year running a tournament I had a total of 128 characters, most of which I nominated myself, but also accepted recommendations from the forums. Some users had an issue with this, but in the long run it worked out for the best, as I was able to use the first year as an experiment to better hone what did and did not work for me personally. No two people run a tournament the exact same way, so my suggestion is to watch closely how Jaws and I run the next two to get an idea of how we do things, then formulate your own rules and practices from there.

That's really all I can tell you. Best of luck to you. :)

Oh, and one more thing: Seeing as we've never actually run a "Who's the hottest?" tournament here before, you might want to consider also doing one for the prettiest ladies as well. Even if that's not really your bag, it does serve well for equal-opportunity and all. Just sayin'. ~_^

• @SpacemanHardy:

Oh, and one more thing: Seeing as we've never actually run a "Who's the hottest?" tournament here before,

…well one could consider the 7jaws7 "Amazon's of Anime" be of such; alas depending on such an interpretation, as it were...

In either case, in terms of the "manliest" one as suggested: I do not think I am "qualified" as such to make such a determination....

• @thegrandalliance:

…well one could consider the 7jaws7 "Amazon's of Anime" be of such

Not particularly. The whole "Amazon" moniker is more a description of how badass and heroic they are, not really based solely on their looks. Also, a "Who's the hottest?" competition could be unique it that it could cover both heroes and villains equally, something that would make it unique from either the Amazon or MANLINESS tournaments.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Whether you want to nominate the majority of the characters yourself or leave the entire roster up to the other forum users is up to you.

As this is my first time I'll leave it up to the forum users, but I'll pitch in a couple of nominations.
    @SpacemanHardy:

No two people run a tournament the exact same way, so my suggestion is to watch closely how Jaws and I run the next two to get an idea of how we do things, then formulate your own rules and practices from there.

I'll be sure to do so!
    @SpacemanHardy:

Oh, and one more thing: Seeing as we've never actually run a "Who's the hottest?" tournament here before, you might want to consider also doing one for the prettiest ladies as well. Even if that's not really your bag, it does serve well for equal-opportunity and all. Just sayin'.

How might that work? Do I do them at the same time or do one then the other? I would presume one after the other would be better, but I'd still like some clarification.

I'm excited, I really am ^_^. I'll watch both your tournaments and make my own unique one by late September!

• @Anthony:

How might that work? Do I do them at the same time or do one then the other? I would presume one after the other would be better, but I'd still like some clarification.

One after the other would be the best option for a newcomer such as yourself. I could see how someone could run both competitions at once, but it would certainly not be easy, even for some of the more seasoned tournament masters.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Also, a "Who's the hottest?" competition could be unique it that it could cover both heroes and villains equally,

That one is true, for sure. Certainly, some females being left out of that one…

In either case; granted this may "objectify women" so I apologize thereof, nonetheless I consider the "Amazon" concept to ==maximum hotness, in either case. Of course, others may consider it differently (such as the "domesticated type"; the maid, Japanese Wifu) so alas, it can be so otherwise...

• @SpacemanHardy:

One after the other would be the best option for a newcomer such as yourself. I could see how someone could run both competitions at once, but it would certainly not be easy, even for some of the more seasoned tournament masters.

Sounds good, I think I'll do hottest man first, then the hottest female. Also will my tournament be late September? / I'm not quite sure what the schedule is.

@7jaws7:

If you're still interested and can find a way to get at least 64 nominations in late September

• @7jaws7:

As the unofficial tournament coordinator around these parts, allow me to give some sound advice for everyone interested in creating their own event here on FUNi's forum.

• You have to know what you're doing. Posing several questions might be an indication that you're not quite ready yet.
    • Vote in enough tournaments before making your own. It's important to get experience from others and learn how they run things.
    • Create a schedule for yourself. Don't make a tournament that lasts too long (no more than a month and a half, I'd say)
    • Make a steady flow of matches per day. Not too many that overwhelm the forum, but enough so that the event goes by at a smooth pace.
    • Know what format and voting system you're going to use. Sometimes, it can't all be 1v1 matches if there are a lot of competitors.
    • Become experienced around the forums. Get to know how the polls work, etc.
    • Be diligent. Making too many big mistakes can throw your tournament off, and you'll likely lose voters.
    • Most importantly, stay dedicated. It's easy to lose interest in your tournament because it's too time-consuming or difficult.

Finally, the Voice Actor/Seiyuu tournament (run by yours truly) comes after Spacemanhardy's tournament, so anybody interested in making something new would have to wait until Fall. If anyone wants a spot saved, post what you would like to do and I'll give my thoughts on it.

Thanks for the advice! I definitely think I'd have enough experience by then, after going through your and SPH's tournaments. The one I had in mind was for best weapon/ability. Darthustrula mentioned it might be good as a one off type thing.

Any spots left for fall?