Different information on being a voice actor?

• Hello, I would like to eventually apply for a voice acting job at Funimation but I was hoping you could make something a little bit more clear for me. What exactly do I put on the resume? Is it past jobs that I've actually worked like a package handler at UPS and a Dishwasher at Ruby Tuesday? Or something that has to do with voice acting? For example a character that I've played? Also I would be more than happy to provide a voice demo but I'm bilingual so would you like a voice demo in Spanish as well? My VA teacher says it's a good idea I just don't know if you'd accept a Spanish voice demo. And if you don't would you know where I could send it? I also live in a different state would that be a problem? I'm more than willing to relocate to Texas though. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about information here but every time I send an email to the suggested email address ( voice.acting@Funimation) for help they'll reply with the same thing :

Thank you so much for submitting your information to be put on the Open Auditions waiting list! As excited as we are to look at your submission, auditions come on a first come, first served basis. We receive lots of submissions, so we cannot respond/give feedback to everyone. The waiting list currently has 500+ names on it, and we want to make sure that we get to each of you, so it may take a while before you are called in to audition. If you meet the requirements listed on our website, your name will be added to the waiting list! Thank you again and break a leg!

I've tried asking for help by contacting Funimation Support but they didn't know either. They replied with this:

We appreciate your enthusiasm. Unfortunately, we here at the Funimation Shop support team do not have the necessary information to answer your questions :(. Our only recommendation is to continue to follow up with voice.acting@Funimation.com with any information you feel is necessary.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? Please help and thanks for taking the time to read this. And once again, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for help.

• I don't work for FUNimation at all, so someone who does, please correct me on what I get wrong here, but…
    FUNimation doesn't "hire" voice actors on a stable basis. I don't believe any acting job in the US or most of the world works like that, and I'd be incredibly surprised if it did (companies where the actors are also the writers and/or producers nonwithstanding (such as Saturday Night Live and other comedy things like that)).
    Anyway, back to FUNi (and Sentai, Bang Zoom, etc. are the same, as is voice acting in Japan) - you'd audition, you'd get called in to audition specifically for specific roles if they like your general audition, and then if you get cast, you'd get called in when they're recording that specific character. This is as freelance as it gets.
    Also, if you're willing to move to Texas, that's something you'd have to do yourself. You could also fly in from wherever you live, to do specific sessions, but that might be too costly (I've heard that several voice actors do this between Dallas, Houston, and LA, though). But they're not going to tell you when to relocate or help with that, they'd just tell you when to show up for a particular session.
    The resume would include professional acting jobs. Maybe non-professional, too (like a school play). This is something someone from FUNi would have to answer more specifically.

I hope that helps... and I hope it's not all wrong. It's just what I've heard from hearing voice actors talk and give panels over the years, and from acting classes when I was a lot younger...

• Check out this cool article from the Dallas Observer that talks about the voice actors and their professional backgrounds, as well as the hiring habits of Funimation.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/the-fun-factory-inside-funimation-the-anime-dubbing-powerhouse-thats-keeping-dallas-actors-in-work-8095737

• As has been said, voice acting is freelance, so you're hired on a per-character basis. You don't get a weekly paycheck for being a voice actor. Since it's freelance, relocation isn't really necessary since you can fly in whenever you land a gig, but it would certainly help to be around the area, I would think

As the e-mail says, they have a lot of applicants trying to break into voice acting, so I'm not sure it'll do you any good to try and cut the line. To my knowledge Funimation doesn't produce Spanish dubs as well, so I would think an English submission would be just fine

Your common work experience won't exactly help here (although you should always put your five or so most important/recent jobs on your resume). Breaking into voice acting typically requires some combination of acting at the college level as well as prior experience in theater acting, or other voice-over work. It's unlikely Funimation will take a chance on you without any previous professional acting experience.

The best thing you can do is, if you're still in school, to join things like the drama club or acting club and build up your experience in acting. In order to be a voice actor, you first need to be an actor, and there's no shortcut in between. Good luck!

• I'll add on that Funimation pretty much exclusively hires actors from the Dallas Fort Worth area, so moving to Texas would eventually be necessary. But if it's your dream then devote the energy to it. Start taking acting classes and trying out for plays. No guarantees but at least your going for what you want right? Also, Funimation isn't the only dub studio too.

• I am actually interested in seeing an official response on this… as it is most rather interesting nonetheless. Still never moving to "vile" TX though...

• Eric Vale made a really good video on this very subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdGKPrYYmE

• @pacoarauz:

Hello, I would like to eventually apply for a voice acting job at Funimation but I was hoping you could make something a little bit more clear for me. What exactly do I put on the resume? Is it past jobs that I've actually worked like a package handler at UPS and a Dishwasher at Ruby Tuesday? Or something that has to do with voice acting? For example a character that I've played? Also I would be more than happy to provide a voice demo but I'm bilingual so would you like a voice demo in Spanish as well? My VA teacher says it's a good idea I just don't know if you'd accept a Spanish voice demo. And if you don't would you know where I could send it? I also live in a different state would that be a problem? I'm more than willing to relocate to Texas though. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about information here but every time I send an email to the suggested email address ( voice.acting@Funimation) for help they'll reply with the same thing :

Thank you so much for submitting your information to be put on the Open Auditions waiting list! As excited as we are to look at your submission, auditions come on a first come, first served basis. We receive lots of submissions, so we cannot respond/give feedback to everyone. The waiting list currently has 500+ names on it, and we want to make sure that we get to each of you, so it may take a while before you are called in to audition. If you meet the requirements listed on our website, your name will be added to the waiting list! Thank you again and break a leg!

I've tried asking for help by contacting Funimation Support but they didn't know either. They replied with this:

We appreciate your enthusiasm. Unfortunately, we here at the Funimation Shop support team do not have the necessary information to answer your questions :(. Our only recommendation is to continue to follow up with voice.acting@Funimation.com with any information you feel is necessary.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? Please help and thanks for taking the time to read this. And once again, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for help.

@SpacemanHardy:

Eric Vale made a really good video on this very subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdGKPrYYmE

I watch this too… But after meeting with Eric Stuart at UB Comic-Con he gave me a different answer... If you guy watch my Q and A video on Eric Stuart he get into some of this... But Eric Vale made good points too on his video... Also Eric Stuart told me off camera as well as many others at UB Conic Con that he actually takes people on to learn how to be a voice actor... HOWEVER you have to pass an audition before he EVEN take you... And if you pass he will teach you and get in to where you need to go, but he also said that he only takes people that REALLY wanted a career out of it... So if you going to do this you better be ready for it to be your career... You can contact him on his web site http://www.ericstuart.com/

The reason why I don't think I wanted contact Eric Stuart is for 3 reasons... 1 I don't think my voices is ready and don't think I will pass Eric Stuart audition as he only going to take people he feel are ready, and I think my voices NEED ALOT of work. 2 Because I don't know if I wanted Voice Actor to be my career... I like still try to a become wrestler... 3 I think taking Eric Vale point is good too, to take some acting classes... But I only taken one in college like last year and I feel I need more class to take... I an do ok Vegeta, and decent Aang, My Goku got alittle better since I 1st did it but still NEED ALOT OF WORK as it VERY BAD... And I be 1st to tell you that... As a mader fact all my voices are bad... AND NEED ALOT of work... When I did some Voices over free work for AnimationRewind "Cartoon Fight Club" Show... If you think your ready go for it but if not I would take more acting classes if I where you...

• From all the VA panels I've been to I've learned

1. Be an actor first. Local plays and small commercials.
    2. It's easier if you know someone who works there. Get an in, impress them, and then pester them until they give in and they get you an audition
    3. Take improv classes. Being able to quickly think and react on your feet will help
    4. Funimation Texas pays crap, like $75 (In Dallas that's nothing). Be prepared to live on bread and water as sustenance.

or

1. Get lucky like Micah Solusod and send in audition tapes and pray they like your acting ability and voice enough to get you a role (usually a background grunt or death scream)

• To all who said VA isn't a permanent job, I know and I should've edited that. I know how basics work. You send a demo, you audition, if they consider,like you, they'll ask you to come in for a 2nd audition so you can prove that you're for the role. I'm not a know-it-all when it comes to this. I'm barely a novice who's taking an online course. And all your help and information is very much appreciated. And to the indivual who wishes to become a wrestler, good luck. The world of wrestling is a lot harder and darker than voice acting. Thanks guys

• @pacoarauz:

The world of wrestling is a lot harder and darker than voice acting.

Both jobs require some acting skills. ~_^

• @pacoarauz:

To all who said VA isn't a permanent job, I know and I should've edited that. I know how basics work. You send a demo, you audition, if they consider,like you, they'll ask you to come in for a 2nd audition so you can prove that you're for the role. I'm not a know-it-all when it comes to this. I'm barely a novice who's taking an online course. And all your help and information is very much appreciated. And to the indivual who wishes to become a wrestler, good luck. The world of wrestling is a lot harder and darker than voice acting. Thanks guys

No shit I know that already… But thank you for luck...