Suggestions for Good Manga

• I have just recently got into reading manga on the train to work in the mornings. I am currently reading Attack on Titan and Gangsta, and I am really enjoying them both. It's interesting to see how the art style differs from the anime version. You also get more information than you would in the anime.

Since I'm so new to manga, can anyone suggest some good titles for me to pick up?

• MASTER KEATON MASTER KEATON MASTER KEATON MASTER KEATON

…..Did I mention Master Keaton, by any chance?

• Fullmetal Alchemist - action, drama, comedy (completed in English)
    Dorohedoro - violence and comedy (ongoing in English)
    Umineko When They Cry - mystery (ongoing in English)
    Higurashi When They Cry - similar to Umineko in setup (completed in English)
    Pandora Hearts - mystery, fantasy (completed in English)
    Solanin - drama (completed in English)
    Noragami - action, drama, comedy (ongoing in English)
    Monster - mystery, psychological (technically completed in English, but it's currently being reprinted in omnibus volumes and the singles are OOP)
    Uzumaki - horror (completed in English)
    Doubt - horror (completed in English, the one with the rabbit head people on the cover, and I haven't read it but Judge might interest you as well if you like Doubt)

And I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but I've heard lots of good things about Oyasumi Punpun (Goodnight Punpun), which is currently being published in English. Same for Vinland Saga.

• This post is deleted!

• @SpacemanHardy:

MASTER KEATON MASTER KEATON MASTER KEATON MASTER KEATON

…..Did I mention Master Keaton, by any chance?

Nah, I don't think you mentioned that one. lol Would you say that Master Keaton is your favorite series?

After looking into this one, I have to say it looks really good. The story sounds very intriguing, and also very different for manga. It is almost like a pulp adventure novel, which is awesome! I am definitely going to pick up vol 1.

Is this the right one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Master-Keaton-Vol-Naoki-Urasawa/dp/1421575892

Thanks for the suggestion!

@Firefly:

Fullmetal Alchemist - action, drama, comedy (completed in English)
    Monster - mystery, psychological (technically completed in English, but it's currently being reprinted in omnibus volumes and the singles are OOP)
    Doubt - horror (completed in English, the one with the rabbit head people on the cover, and I haven't read it but Judge might interest you as well if you like Doubt)

And I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but I've heard lots of good things about Oyasumi Punpun (Goodnight Punpun), which is currently being published in English. Same for Vinland Saga.

Great recommendations! A lot of these look pretty amazing. I think I'll be grabbing quite of a few of these. I'll probably start with Uzumaki or Monster, since I'm a fan of horror and mystery.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Do you have a favorite manga?

• @nubguy:

Is this the right one?

That is it indeed. Although I personally recommend picking it up at RightStuf instead, as it's a tad bit cheaper there:

http://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=master%20keaton

• @nubguy:

Do you have a favorite manga?

Pandora Hearts is my personal favorite. It's got excellent characters, a solid mystery, plenty of tragedy and drama but it doesn't lose itself in the darkness too much (largely thanks to Alice), and the art is gorgeous. It' a bit of an emotional rollercoaster to say the least, especially once the Headhunter arc hits and the core of the story begins moving more quickly.

• @Firefly:

Holy f*ck, a Punpun recommendation… I don't think you know what you're getting yourselves into.

• @Rejectedshadow:

Holy f*ck, a Punpun recommendation… I don't think you know what you're getting yourselves into.

lol that sounds rather ominous. Is that not a good idea?

• I'm rather surprised that no one recommended Monster Musume to you. As long as you're not against ecchi titles, I guarantee you'll love it. Deadman Wonderland is also a good one too. If you've watched the anime,then you should definitely read the manga as they changed it quite a bit for the anime and it's also the only way to know how it ends.

• @Firefly:

Pandora Hearts is my personal favorite. It's got excellent characters, a solid mystery, plenty of tragedy and drama but it doesn't lose itself in the darkness too much (largely thanks to Alice), and the art is gorgeous. It' a bit of an emotional rollercoaster to say the least, especially once the Headhunter arc hits and the core of the story begins moving more quickly.

I just picked up Pandora Hearts vol 1 and will let you know what I think! Based on your description, it sounds like its going to be really awesome. Just flipping through the first couple of pages and I agree, the art is really pretty. I think I'm going to like this one a lot. Thanks!

• @nubguy:

lol that sounds rather ominous. Is that not a good idea?

I loved Punpun, I really did. I honestly think It's a masterpiece, It's easily one of my favorites. That being said, if you're looking for some lighthearted story then you've come to the wrong place, Punpun is a very sad, heartbreaking story, and It's not a series I'd recommend anyone go into lightly.

Overall though: 10/10 – Would follow Punpuns coming of age story again.

• Huh, sorry for the double-post but I just realized I hadn't dropped in any recommendations myself.

A Silent Voice (Finished) Published by Kodansha USA final volume out May 24.
    Horimiya (Ongoing) - Published by Yen Press every three-months
    Vinland Saga (Ongoing) - Published by Kodansha USA next omnibus volume out sometime in Fall 2016
    Orange (Finished) - Published by Seven Seas second omnbius out May 31st
    Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (Ongoing) - Published by Viz Media Bi-Monthly
    The Seven Deadly Sins (Ongoing) - Published by Kodansha USA Monthly
    Assassination Classroom (Ongoing) - Published by Viz Media Bi-Monthly
    Noragami (Ongoing) - Published by Kodansha USA Monthly
    The Ancient Magus Bride (Ongoing) - Published by Seven Seas fifth volume out July 5th (3-part Prequel OAD Anime planned) - One of my personal favorites.

• @Rejectedshadow:

I saw this on RightStuf, I was wondering if you knew where I could watch it (Dub or Sub). It seems really interesting.

• @Anthony:

I saw this on RightStuf, I was wondering if you knew where I could watch it (Dub or Sub). It seems really interesting.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma

Also, for the future, if you're ever wondering where you can find a specific show for legal streaming, definitely check out www.because.moe. They even have filters specifically for Canada.

@Rejectedshadow:

Huh, sorry for the double-post but I just realized I hadn't dropped in any recommendations myself.

For the record, double posts are okay as long as they're separated by at least a day or so. It's only rapid-fire multi-posts which really need to be edited into a single post.

• @SpacemanHardy:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma

Also, for the future, if you're ever wondering where you can find a specific show for legal streaming, definitely check out www.because.moe. They even have filters specifically for Canada.

Thanks for the link to the show and for www.because.moe! :)

Edit: I was wondering if Anime Network dubs are good and if they have any good subbed shows (I might start watching subs).

• @Anthony:

I was wondering if Anime Network dubs are good and if they have any good subbed shows (I might start watching subs).

Most of the dubs you find on TAN are from Sentai Filmworks. When they first started dubbing, they were pretty bad, so some of the older shows might sound pretty rocky. They have gotten much better recently, though, but again it all comes down to personal preference.

I can say that I do personally really like the dubs for Canaan, Outbreak Company, and Parasyte. Also Highschool of the Dead's dub is a major guilty pleasure for me in just how trashy and crass it is. ^_^

• @SpacemanHardy:

Most of the dubs you find on TAN are from Sentai Filmworks. When they first started dubbing, they were pretty bad, so some of the older shows might sound pretty rocky. They have gotten much better recently, though, but again it all comes down to personal preference.

I can say that I do personally really like the dubs for Canaan, Outbreak Company, and Parasyte. Also Highschool of the Dead's dub is a major guilty pleasure for me in just how trashy and crass it is. ^_^

Okay thanks! I'll start the free trial and watch some dubs, see if I like it or not. I'll also be starting to watch subs on Funi (something I've never done) and maybe on Anime Network, I still need to decide.

• @Firefly:

Fullmetal Alchemist - action, drama, comedy (completed in English)

Hey Firefly, I just picked up the first volume of Vinland Saga and it is really good! You should totally check it out!

@Rejectedshadow:

Huh, sorry for the double-post but I just realized I hadn't dropped in any recommendations myself.

A Silent Voice (Finished) Published by Kodansha USA final volume out May 24.
    Horimiya (Ongoing) - Published by Yen Press every three-months
    Vinland Saga (Ongoing) - Published by Kodansha USA next omnibus volume out sometime in Fall 2016
    Orange (Finished) - Published by Seven Seas second omnbius out May 31st
    The Seven Deadly Sins (Ongoing) - Published by Kodansha USA Monthly
    Assassination Classroom (Ongoing) - Published by Viz Media Bi-Monthly
    Noragami (Ongoing) - Published by Kodansha USA Monthly
    The Ancient Magus Bride (Ongoing) - Published by Seven Seas fifth volume out July 5th (3-part Prequel OAD Anime planned) - One of my personal favorites.

Thanks for the suggestions! I just picked up the first vol of Vinland Saga, and I am really liking it a lot. I have never read a fantasy epic that was in manga form, so it's cool. Do you have a favorite manga?

• Manga recommendations:

Cirque du Freak: It's based on a novel series that isn't Japanese, but it's amazing how well it works as a shonen manga. Very much an emotional rollercoaster, particularly from vol. 4 on. One of the later books has one of those emotional moments people say they never get over. Also has action/horror. (Yen Press)

. . . and I would say the new manga adaptation of Les Miserables, that's by the same artist (Takahiro Arai), but it hasn't been licensed for some reason. I keep wondering why, it seems like such an obvious thing to be successful, since people love the musical. The art is also amazing.

Also: Black Butler, and A Bride's Story.

. . . . . . . . you say the Outbreak Company dub is good? . . . dare I try it?
    . . . . . . . Natsuki Hanae, though… And the fact that he plays another brown-haired boy who I ship with the white-haired boy.... (edit: . . . . . . tried it. Sorry, but...)

• Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon is pretty entertaining. I would recommend it if you are in the mood for fantasy and comedy.
    I've watched the first half of the Food Wars anime, how much different is the manga? the anime really knows how to get you excited, so I would think that watching it would be better than reading but I'd like to know what others think of it.

I really enjoyed Doubt, Judge and Secret which are really suspenseful horror manga. I just wish they were more obviously interconnected.

DRRR/Durarara !!!! is fantastically fun to watch and read. It's like spice of life meets fantasy meets horror and it's just so great :)