Science Lesson To Understand This Series…

• This show is amazing in scientific theory, but only if you have any idea WTF is going on. This is a repost from something I had that details some of it therefore…

/walloftext

Basically, the entire show is about the main character, Takumi, realizing he is an illusion; and also has ability to create illusions. The Anime Pink-Hair girl, who you see earlier for instance, was actually an illusion that was created. The show addresses the concept of what happens when illusions become reality, and addresses what is truly "real".

Watching Episode 7, around 18-20 minutes, in Japanese with subtitles actually makes a bit sense; helpful to search some of these terms of course. They do try to explain this, although it is a bit hard to understand.

First of all this is all really complicated Quantum Mechanics stuff, so the following will probably not make sense. They base it upon the scientific work of a scientist you never heard of, "Paul Dirac". This Anime is based upon a theoretical derivative of the "Dirac Equation," more specifically "Hole Theory" and the "Dirac Sea".

I apologize if my science description is absolutely horrible: Basically the theory suggests that vacuum space (everywhereness) is filled with negative energy (a space that a particle exists at lowest energy state) and reality is observed by the position that a particle is located in of "positive energy". Think of it as a grid whereas there are coordinates; one dot on a grid such as an XYZ plane (thing you learn in Geometry class).

You may have heard of the concept of "Schrödinger's Cat." The concept is that in a quantum state, something is neither alive or dead until the quantum particle is "observed." In this case of the Dirac Sea, the concept is that the particle that "is observed" is in one position of a sea of many positions, being of "positive" energy is the realization that we observe. According to the Anime, it is possible to make an "illusion" into "reality" by changing which grid position a particle or otherwise is observed at to one of the positions it isn't at otherwise ("negative energy").

In other words, someone with some "special power" in the case of this Anime could in theory create something from effectively nothing, by realizing a possibility (moving particles in otherwise empty space to something that is observed) that otherwise doesn't exist. An illusion, in other words.

Dimension W also addresses this concept albeit differently, suggesting that all possible permutations exist in a higher dimension; the one that is realized in conventional 3D space is simply one realization of this. The scientific concept that is addressed here is whether all objects in the world only become "real" if "realized"; sort of a play with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle combined with a special interpretation "Many Worlds Theory" of space-time.

If you look at the Wikipedia article for "Dirac Sea" they actually referred this episode directly I talked about. Yes, the concept is rather massively hard to understand, alas simply watch the Anime and it should kinda make sense. This Anime is actually an extremely complex scientific concept made into a presentable Anime Sci-Fi context it is so…

/walloftext

• What show are you talking about?

• @Anthony:

What show are you talking about?

Chaos; HEAd

:) He posted it directly in the shows forum. Though if you are like me you tend to look at the recent stuff and don't pay attention to that.

• @thegrandalliance:

This show is amazing in scientific theory, but only if you have any idea WTF is going on. This is a repost from something I had that details some of it therefore…

/walloftext

Basically, the entire show is about the main character, Takumi, realizing he is an illusion; and also has ability to create illusions. The Anime Pink-Hair girl, who you see earlier for instance, was actually an illusion that was created. The show addresses the concept of what happens when illusions become reality, and addresses what is truly "real".

Watching Episode 7, around 18-20 minutes, in Japanese with subtitles actually makes a bit sense; helpful to search some of these terms of course. They do try to explain this, although it is a bit hard to understand.

First of all this is all really complicated Quantum Mechanics stuff, so the following will probably not make sense. They base it upon the scientific work of a scientist you never heard of, "Paul Dirac". This Anime is based upon a theoretical derivative of the "Dirac Equation," more specifically "Hole Theory" and the "Dirac Sea".

I apologize if my science description is absolutely horrible: Basically the theory suggests that vacuum space (everywhereness) is filled with negative energy (a space that a particle exists at lowest energy state) and reality is observed by the position that a particle is located in of "positive energy". Think of it as a grid whereas there are coordinates; one dot on a grid such as an XYZ plane (thing you learn in Geometry class).

You may have heard of the concept of "Schrödinger's Cat." The concept is that in a quantum state, something is neither alive or dead until the quantum particle is "observed." In this case of the Dirac Sea, the concept is that the particle that "is observed" is in one position of a sea of many positions, being of "positive" energy is the realization that we observe. According to the Anime, it is possible to make an "illusion" into "reality" by changing which grid position a particle or otherwise is observed at to one of the positions it isn't at otherwise ("negative energy").

In other words, someone with some "special power" in the case of this Anime could in theory create something from effectively nothing, by realizing a possibility (moving particles in otherwise empty space to something that is observed) that otherwise doesn't exist. An illusion, in other words.

Dimension W also addresses this concept albeit differently, suggesting that all possible permutations exist in a higher dimension; the one that is realized in conventional 3D space is simply one realization of this. The scientific concept that is addressed here is whether all objects in the world only become "real" if "realized"; sort of a play with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle combined with a special interpretation "Many Worlds Theory" of space-time.

If you look at the Wikipedia article for "Dirac Sea" they actually referred this episode directly I talked about. Yes, the concept is rather massively hard to understand, alas simply watch the Anime and it should kinda make sense. This Anime is actually an extremely complex scientific concept made into a presentable Anime Sci-Fi context it is so…

/walloftext

Wow, my mind is blown. That is really cool! I can see a lot of those connections now. I want to go back and watch it again with that in mind. I find these shows to be some of the best when it comes to hard science principles (sometimes called hard science-fiction - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction).

@Anthony:

What show are you talking about?

The shows called Chaos;Head. It's part of the Steins;Gate franchise, but isn't necessarily directly connected, as it has different characters. As TGA said, the writing is intricately connected to a series of scientific principles. I really like these shows for that reason. There is also a third series, Robotics;Notes.

• I didn't realize the sub forum it was in sorry xP.

• @thegrandalliance:

Think of it as a grid whereas there are coordinates; one dot on a grid such as an XYZ plane (thing you learn in Geometry class).

Yea I never learned how to use/read/plot an XYZ graph in geometry, I remember only having only two questions on the last test about them and I guessed them right.

But pretty much what you have here is pretty much the only thing I liked Chaos;Head for, I would advocate that it was a good 10 episode series, those last two left A LOT to be desired.

• @Anthony:

I didn't realize the sub forum it was in sorry xP.

Ahh, no worries it"s me fault. I posted this early yesterday morning… me brain wasn't in full gear at the time, especially after that wall of text (and still it needs work). Usually as you know, I like to write more "cleaver" headlines; alas, I probably dropped this one nonetheless…

@darthrutsula:

Yea I never learned how to use/read/plot an XYZ graph in geometry, I remember only having only two questions on the last test about them and I guessed them right.

I am not a mathematician, so its technical definition I am not certain; alas it is possible that is more of an algebra concept, used to graph functions (lines; or otherwise), and you probably see it there. In either case, if you are not well aware of it, I am surprised nonetheless. It is very hard to go anywhere in math class without knowing the XY(Z) plane and "how to graph a function". It"s like basic math, all the other stuff becomes impossible otherwise to understand.

In either case no worries… me wondered where you went to school though in either case... BTW I am horrible at advanced math myself.