RWBY Vol 1 Theater Release (Tickets on sale now!)

• Starting April 27, the RoosterTeeth show RWBY Vol 1 will will be shown in theaters across the United States. This is an awesome action series that is cg, but feels very anime in style.

The way it works is, if enough tickets are sold for a particular theater location, then that theater will show the movie. Check out if you have a showing near you!
    http://teamrwby.com/screenings.html#screenings.

Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/dsy7VJheMBI

• I already have it on blu-ray. Even if I didn't, there's still the issue of getting the tickets, and even then, I may have spent it on nothing.

Actually, the fact that DVDs and Blu-Rays exist make me wonder why they're doing this.

Sounds like a cash grab to me.

• It is a bit strange that they are showing it in theaters now, but they said they are doing this for every season leading up to the new one. Also, if you go see the movie in theaters you get a 25% coupon for the rooster teeth store and access to exclusive RWBY merchandise. So they are kind offering extra incentives to get fans to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRoDaSQBAXU

• Too bad it isn't coming to Canada, I would go watch it. I haven't seen the series.

• Why would I ever want to go see this in a theater?

RWBY sucks. :hmm:

I'm also moving this thread to the Member's Lounge, because only anime belongs in the Anime section.

• @Anthony:

Too bad it isn't coming to Canada, I would go watch it. I haven't seen the series.

You can watch it for FREE Legally yes Spaceman IT CANON on YouTube from there OWN YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUBVPK8x-XMhCW2fW7ZYlD9MHjvmT8IGK

@SpacemanHardy:

Why would I ever want to go see this in a theater?

I'm also moving this thread to the Member's Lounge, because only anime belongs in the Anime section.

UH!? EXCUSE ME!? THE SHOW DOES NOT SUCK! It EPIC! -_-

@nubguy:

Starting April 27, the RoosterTeeth show RWBY Vol 1 will will be shown in theaters across the United States. This is an awesome action series that is cg, but feels very anime in style.

The way it works is, if enough tickets are sold for a particular theater location, then that theater will show the movie. Check out if you have a showing near you!
    http://teamrwby.com/screenings.html#screenings.

Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/dsy7VJheMBI

What the point? It on YouTube for FREE! You can also watch it on Nextfic… As well get it on DVD and Blu-Ray...

• @SpacemanHardy:

Why would I ever want to go see this in a theater?

First of all, RWBY is awesome. And second of all, most people would consider it in the anime section and it even has a Japanese Blu-ray release.

In this article from Crunchyroll, the late creator of RWBY, Monty Oum, talks about why he says RWBY is anime.

"Later, Monty would tell me that, 'Some believe just like Scotch needs to be made in Scotland, an American company can"t make anime. I think that"s a narrow way of seeing it. Anime is an art form, and to say only one country can make this art is wrong.' He may have a point; after all, France and Dubai made anime. Why not Monty?"

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/07/12/feature-inside-rooster-teeths-rwby

• I've seen better CG animation in a 1980's Dire Straits music video. -_-

• It's a stylized cg that is supposed to look like that by design. I think it looks great, and the action and story are really well done.

Also, Dire Straits? Really -_-

• @SpacemanHardy:

I've seen better CG animation in a 1980's Dire Straits music video. -_-

1st of ALL it is AN anime same with Avatar The Last Airbender, Japanese people had STATE many times before that an anime is basic on a "style" not a nationally so it is an ANIME! 2nd of all I fine this VERY HYPOCRITICAL coming from you Spaceman… You said I was wrong when I came out and said a voice actor suck (when she does) but you come on here and will take a shot and said something suck when it CLEARLY does not... And also it is anime so move it back to anime section... -_-

• @gohan6425:

2nd of all I fine this VERY HYPOCRITICAL coming from you Spaceman… You said I was wrong when I came out and said a voice actor suck (when she does) but you come on here and will take a shot and said something suck when it CLEARLY does not.

They're called "opinions". You're allowed to like something I don't, just as I'm allowed to like something you hate. There's no objective "right or wrong" answer when it comes to these kinds of things. If you like RWBY, that's fine, but don't get angry when someone disagrees with you.

And no, I'm not putting it back in the Anime section.

• @SpacemanHardy:

They're called "opinions". You're allowed to like something I don't, just as I'm allowed to like something you hate. There's no objective "right or wrong" answer when it comes to these kinds of things. If you like RWBY, that's fine, but don't get angry when someone disagrees with you.

And no, I'm not putting it back in the Anime section.

IT IS AN ANIME… Move we already debunk this... Anime is a "style" not a nationally... -_-

• @SpacemanHardy:

They're called "opinions"

Woah woah woah. Opinions? On the internet?

You know we frown on those here.

• Thanks for the link gohan! :)

• Ohhhhh boy. We doing this.

cracks knuckles

Alright people. Let me see if I can explain this as well as I can, or as much as I understand.

The way I see it there are two perspectives when it comes to RWBY being an anime. The one perspective, being that RWBY cannot be an anime because it is not of Japanese origin. The other being that anything can be considered anime because anime only really refers to animation in general in Japan, logic being that anything that's a Disney or Dreamworks flick to them is still categorized as anime. Neither one is actually wrong.

It really comes down to a different of perspective and ideology. Hardy, opinions on RWBY aside, sees anime as a much more literal genre thing, where anime is a Japanese thing, and while shows like Korra, RWBY, Wakfu, etc are heavily inspired by Japanese and Anime culture, they are still to him not anime. It's not a wrong perspective, and in a way I do kind of agree but it is still a debatable point. As for whether it is anime because of it being animation I think I got a theory on why that is:

No one wants to call the mature, Japanese-influenced animated show they enjoy as a cartoon. To many, people seem to see cartoon as a derogatory thing. It seems demeaning to some to just call Korra or RWBY "cartoons" as it implies it being childish. I get that, but the reality is that in a way cartoon is as very open a term for animation in the West as "anime" is for Japan. It's a strong debate that everyone loves to have that in the end really doesn't actually mean a god damn thing. It doesn't really matter what you think of it, but I feel that the perfect middle ground if you don't want to call RWBY anime, but you also don't want to call it a cartoon either, just refer to it as this: Animation. It's the perfect middle ground and no one can actually DENY that it's animated. It's an Animated Web Series that is heavily influenced by Japanese animation, or "anime." No one can deny.

As for opinions on RWBY let me say this: It's not perfect. It felt like it took a little too long to get to the central goal of the series which was made apparent in Volume 3, some of the storylines and tropes are a little done to death (that BULLY story arc in Vol. 1 is absolute vile trash) and it looks kind of janky at times with its animation. But it's action is fun, the world and characters are colorful, and honestly? Even if you don't like RWBY, to me it's not something out of malice.

Personally, Monty Oum was a bit of a hero to me. He was this guy who loved what he did, and even as a dropout and a guy who self-taught himself to animate that managed to make it big is inspiring to me and to many. He was a lovely fun guy, I met him in person and he was a kind and cool guy, and he was such a dedicated and hard worker. RWBY ain't perfect, but to me it was his passion project made of his heart and soul. It made it big, and Japan and lots of people were inspired by it. And honestly? I admire that. Hell even in anime there are some anime series out there that are made with much more condescension and malice. All those shitty light novel magic high school animes? All those same old harem comedies? A lot of those feel much more bitter and made for a certain demographic guaranteed to make money and to appease what others want. RWBY, love it or not, is what Monty wanted. And as a man that was truly touched and blown away by his work, I admire that truly. And I am glad that even with his life cut short, the man was able to make his dreams come true and tell a story he wanted to tell. Love it or not, I hope that is something we can all take away.

• ^….Okay, I can agree with that. :)

Let it be known, I hold absolutely no ill will or disrespect towards Monty Oum or Rooster Teeth in general. I think it's nothing short of a tragedy that his life was cut so horribly short. My thoughts and prayers go out to all his friends and family for his loss.

That having been said, I still dislike RWBY as a series. Although I admit to not having watched much of it, I find the animation to be ugly and the voice acting to be amateurish at best. It's okay if you like the show, but personally, it's not the type of thing that I enjoy. No more, no less.

• @SpacemanHardy:

^….Okay, I can agree with that. :)

Let it be known, I hold absolutely no ill will or disrespect towards Monty Oum or Rooster Teeth in general. I think it's nothing short of a tragedy that his life was cut so horribly short. My thoughts and prayers go out to all his friends and family for his loss.

That having been said, I still dislike RWBY as a series. Although I admit to not having watched much of it, I find the animation to be ugly and the voice acting to be amateurish at best. It's okay if you like the show, but personally, it's not the type of thing that I enjoy. No more, no less.

Your being still biased by moving it out of the anime section this issue should come down to CJ and Sophie the admin's on which section it should be not you b/c you clearly biased to it not being an anime b/c you don't like RWBY I already PM then so that should make the called…

@classyspartan:

Ohhhhh boy. We doing this.

cracks knuckles

Alright people. Let me see if I can explain this as well as I can, or as much as I understand.

The way I see it there are two perspectives when it comes to RWBY being an anime. The one perspective, being that RWBY cannot be an anime because it is not of Japanese origin. The other being that anything can be considered anime because anime only really refers to animation in general in Japan, logic being that anything that's a Disney or Dreamworks flick to them is still categorized as anime. Neither one is actually wrong.

It really comes down to a different of perspective and ideology. Hardy, opinions on RWBY aside, sees anime as a much more literal genre thing, where anime is a Japanese thing, and while shows like Korra, RWBY, Wakfu, etc are heavily inspired by Japanese and Anime culture, they are still to him not anime. It's not a wrong perspective, and in a way I do kind of agree but it is still a debatable point. As for whether it is anime because of it being animation I think I got a theory on why that is:

No one wants to call the mature, Japanese-influenced animated show they enjoy as a cartoon. To many, people seem to see cartoon as a derogatory thing. It seems demeaning to some to just call Korra or RWBY "cartoons" as it implies it being childish. I get that, but the reality is that in a way cartoon is as very open a term for animation in the West as "anime" is for Japan. It's a strong debate that everyone loves to have that in the end really doesn't actually mean a god damn thing. It doesn't really matter what you think of it, but I feel that the perfect middle ground if you don't want to call RWBY anime, but you also don't want to call it a cartoon either, just refer to it as this: Animation. It's the perfect middle ground and no one can actually DENY that it's animated. It's an Animated Web Series that is heavily influenced by Japanese animation, or "anime." No one can deny.

As for opinions on RWBY let me say this: It's not perfect. It felt like it took a little too long to get to the central goal of the series which was made apparent in Volume 3, some of the storylines and tropes are a little done to death (that BULLY story arc in Vol. 1 is absolute vile trash) and it looks kind of janky at times with its animation. But it's action is fun, the world and characters are colorful, and honestly? Even if you don't like RWBY, to me it's not something out of malice.

Personally, Monty Oum was a bit of a hero to me. He was this guy who loved what he did, and even as a dropout and a guy who self-taught himself to animate that managed to make it big is inspiring to me and to many. He was a lovely fun guy, I met him in person and he was a kind and cool guy, and he was such a dedicated and hard worker. RWBY ain't perfect, but to me it was his passion project made of his heart and soul. It made it big, and Japan and lots of people were inspired by it. And honestly? I admire that. Hell even in anime there are some anime series out there that are made with much more condescension and malice. All those shitty light novel magic high school animes? All those same old harem comedies? A lot of those feel much more bitter and made for a certain demographic guaranteed to make money and to appease what others want. RWBY, love it or not, is what Monty wanted. And as a man that was truly touched and blown away by his work, I admire that truly. And I am glad that even with his life cut short, the man was able to make his dreams come true and tell a story he wanted to tell. Love it or not, I hope that is something we can all take away.

Well I already when ahead and PM CJ and Sophie the admin's about this issue sorry Spaceman your clearly being BIASED here… I do believe Spaceman is being biased in this issue judgement as not being anime basic on the fact he does not like RWBY... I feel one of the admins sure make the final called on this not Spaceman... Just b/c your mod does not mean you can't be biased and I believe for this issue Spaceman is biased... Also Classy an anime is basic on "style" accusing to people in Japan so yes it would be anime on that logic alone...

• @gohan6425:

Well I already when ahead and PM CJ and Sophie the admin's about this issue sorry Spaceman your clearly being BIASED here… I do believe Spaceman is being biased in this issue judgement as not being anime basic on the fact he does not like RWBY... I feel one of the admins sure make the final called on this not Spaceman... Just b/c your mod does not mean you can't be biased and I believe for this issue Spaceman is biased... Also Classy an anime is basic on "style" accusing to people in Japan so yes it would be anime on that logic alone...

If CJ or Sophie wish to move the topic, then that's their prerogative. But I've stated my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :hmm:

• @gohan6425:

I do believe Spaceman is being biased in this issue judgement as not being anime basic on the fact he does not like RWBY

With some defense to Hardy, even other shows that he loves like Korra, Wakfu and Steven Universe, all of which are fantastic and wonderful animated series with a clear influence to anime, he still doesn't identify them as anime. Like I said, it's not a wrong ideology, it's just different than how you see it.

• @classyspartan:

With some defense to Hardy, even other shows that he loves like Korra, Wakfu and Steven Universe, all of which are fantastic and wonderful animated series with a clear influence to anime, he still doesn't identify them as anime. Like I said, it's not a wrong ideology, it's just different than how you see it.

Avatar The Last Airbender is anime accusing to people in Japan… As again that had state it basic on a "style" not a nationally... So I will be posting anime if and win I ever wanted to talk about Avatar... Or even if I make a thread on RWBY I keep posting there Spaceman will not denied of it not being an anime... I feel like making video about this piss off now... -_-

• @classyspartan:

Then why can there be anime from France and Dubai, as the article I posted stated? France is one of the largest markets of anime and even produces its own anime. Anime created in France is called anime by people in Japan, and so I argue that the same goes for an American produced anime show.

Though you are right, Spaceman just sees it differently. It's just too bad he decided to move the thread based on an opinion.